Possible connection between Ahnenerbe and the Wustling

Silv3r Energy

Just a short while ago, I was reading up on Ahnenerbe since I'm a bit behind on the deeper lore of WWII's zombies. While reading, I found mention of a man named Walther Wüst, which immediately reminded me of the Wüstling in TFR. Does anyone think there's any possible connection between the two? If so, could there also be something with the Brenner? I've still yet to complete my research on the topic, but I thought this was an interesting thing to perhaps look into.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

When the character intel was released before WWII itself was released, I also found out that Klaus Fischer in real life really was a German "art historian", "archeologist" and "indioloog (science in ancient Asian/Indian culture, which is connected with Ahnenerbe in some way)". This has all to do with the Ahnenerbe station under Mittelburg: a place where art and ancient excavations come together.

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Fischer_(Indologe)

What's the most interesting thing: He studied in Heidelberg University. The in-game Fischer, as he had stated in his letter to his sister, had studied at Heidelberg as well....

Dark_Reunion_achievement_image_WWII.png

So it's definitely possible that Sledgehammer based it's characters on real characters, just as they base their events and locations on real locations and conspiracy theories, and war reports. (As a matter of fact, @certainpersonio, this real guy Klaus Fischer had an particular interest in Arabian and Islamitic countries and cultures. Might be a nice addition to you Egypt theory. Also, ever heard of the mysteries/conspiracies revolving the "Wewelsburg".)

53 minutes ago, anonymous said:

So it's definitely possible that Sledgehammer based it's characters on real characters

This is a very interesting idea! I think I'll look more into this when I get home tonight. Along these lines, it always bothered me that there isn't too much backstory on Jefferson, other than the fact that he works with MFAA

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 8:52 AM, Silv3r Energy said:

Just a short while ago, I was reading up on Ahnenerbe since I'm a bit behind on the deeper lore of WWII's zombies. While reading, I found mention of a man named Walther Wüst, which immediately reminded me of the Wüstling in TFR. Does anyone think there's any possible connection between the two? If so, could there also be something with the Brenner? I've still yet to complete my research on the topic, but I thought this was an interesting thing to perhaps look into.

For some more info about Ahnenerbe check out my post:

Ahnenerbe Group

@Silv3r Energy I know I'm a little late to this party, but it appears Wüstling in German most directly translates to "libertine". I'll be honest, I had to crack open a dictionary for that one, but apparently it either refers:

1. a person, especially a man, who behaves without moral principles or a sense of responsibility, especially in sexual matters.
    1. AKA: playboy, brute, philanderer, Casanova. 
  2. a person who rejects accepted opinions in matters of religion; a freethinker.

My opinion, I think the name is around-a-bout way of referring to the zombie was a big brute with a phallic club attached to an arm. It seems more likely to me that the name is referencing this than Walter Wüst. 

In other interesting/related translation, wüstling is also a word in West Frisian (Heligoland/TDS connection) meaning "desperate".

“Wüstling”: In English can be translated down to mean the following.

Libertine:

1. A person, especially a man, who behaves without moral principles or a sense of responsibility, especially in sexual matters.
2. A person who rejects accepted opinions in matters of religion; a freethinker.

Lecher: a man given to excessive sexual indulgence; a lascivious or licentious man.

Archived