Trailer for "The darkest shore"

Lenne

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Once again a very eerie trailer, especially that part in which the undead walk out of the sea. Can't wait too!

(Also, what's that statue...is that a woman? No Barbarossa, I think)

Do you mean the statue at 1:15?

It reminded me of that one pic from american horror story. ^^

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Lenne said:

Do you mean the statue at 1:15?

It reminded me of that one pic from american horror story. ^^

Credits to @certainpersonio: it is Hertha/Nerthus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerthus

Hertha was an ancient godess in the time of HRE. Ancient Germanic tribes worshipped her in a secret grove on an island north of Germany. I can talk more about her, but check out that Wikipedia page. Again, thanks and all credits to certainpersonio!

I'm hoping they continue the easter eggs like in Final Reich, so that there's the casual easter egg and hardcore easter egg. For me the casual easter egg was more fun to solve than the usual EE quest we have in Treyarch zombies. Mainly because I could complete without a guide. But that doesn't mean it would have been super easy to figure out though. Then there's the hardcore easter egg for players who seek more challenge.

I also hope they will use different kinds of special zombies throughout the season in general, to make every map feel more unique. And add unlockable small survival maps like Groesten Haus in every dlc pack, though that might be unlikely.

@anonymous Thanks for the shout-out! Yeah, I absolutely think that the statue is of Nerthus (sometimes miss-identified as Hertha). Nerthus is a fertility goddess or mother-earth. She's associated with a shroud and sacred cattle. One source (that I'm not sure I 100% trust) suggests that sacrifices of cattle horns or cow teeth are good: note our statue is shrouded and has a cattle skull in it's hand.

Nerthus has a debated connection with Heligoland. Tacitus first reported the ritual of Nerthus in his book Germania. Early commentators believed that the sacred area in question was on Heligoland, mostly because it was already known to be a holy/sacred island to many Frisians. Later scholars question this idea, so it seems very unclear where she stands in the history of the island. One that that is well known though is the association with Foseti. Foseti was a Frisian/Nordic god of law, order, and judgment. There is a great story about how he saved some Frisian leaders from a boat with a giant battle-axe, and then planted the axe in the ground where they landed, causing a spring to come-forth. He then dictated the first laws of the Frisian people as they sat around the spring.

There is a sacred spring/well on the island of Heligoland. It is said that no-one would speak when near it. We can confirm the existence of the spring/well because of the missionary St. Willibrord. He visited the island of "Fosetiland" and found a sacred well with cattle around it where people would not speak while drinking from it. He noted there were many shrines to non-Christian gods on the island. Like most missionaries back in the day, he defiled the well by killing the cattle and baptizing people in the well. 

As a final note, here's a link to maps of Heligoland from the Atlas Maior of 1665. I like it for a couple of reasons. First, the map is a depiction of the island at 3 separate time points, all overlaid on each other. The first around 800AD, in which the island is huge. However, due to lowland flooding it has shrunk to it's current state (as of 1665). This is a large part why Heligoland is associated with Atlantis mythology, particularly by the Ahnenerbe and Himmler. Second, it shows lots of temples on the island. This links into our "gods of the island" in the trailer. You can specifically see the temple to Foseti in the NW corner of the map. Third, it's a pretty map. 

Now for some baseless theory crafting about things we could do in the map: 

1. Part of the EE quest could incorporate the sacred spring on the island. I would image the gods were not happy about having it defiled with baptism, so maybe we have to cleanse it. Or perhaps we have to cleanse the hilt of Barbarossa's sword. 
  2. Foseti's battle axe sounds really cool, so in the spirit of using ancient weaponry as a wonder-weapon, why not add a giant battle-axe to the list?

Archived