The Final Reich reactions thread

anonymous

• Moderators

Of every 10 times I try to play Nazi Zombies, the servers allow me to play online 3 times, while MP works just fine. But aside from this server problem, man, what a game mode. In my opinion, Sledgehammer has defeated Treyarch. The horrific atmosphere the whole game brings...amazing. The morgue, the blood, the testsubjects....and wow what kind of shivers went down my spine when I discovered the exploding zombies are two humans stapled to eaach other, one using it's arms to carry an explosive bin. What a sick and awesome minds the developers must have :P. And not to forget the Panzermörder...a creature thaat absolutely terryfies me: as well its appearance, as its sound, as the things he exists of. But besides this horrific and bloody kind of fear, there is something else that makes Nazi Zombies extra creepy: The things like the puppets, eerie music, the toys and the rocking horse. 

It's not only the fear that makes Nazi Zombies so good, the whole game is different than the casual type of CoD Zombies. The Final Reich is really more quest-focussed, in the good way, which makes it feel more campaign-like than regular zombies. I consider this as something unique, and therefore like it. 

The characters, location, science and backstory are all present, and whats more, they are all connected pretty neat and it all actually makes sense. I really look forward to the next map and continuation of Nazi Zombies, and hope it'll be s good as the Final Reich.

I dont have all time now, so I stop typing. What do you think of this map and Nazi Zombies as a whole?

Oh, and I am really fond on all the German words in the game (devices, power-ups, et cetera). Sound fitting and funny.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I only played it once for a tiny bit and to be honest I don't really enjoy it, it seems to be just another typical Call of Dooders zombie experience just more gory and brutal. I will give it another chance this coming week though, but I am affraid to say that I will probably not change my mind, cause I despise side quests. (which are forced upon the player)

Will update this post.

<3

On 24/11/2017 at 11:19 PM, anonymous said:

Of every 10 times I try to play Nazi Zombies, the servers allow me to play online 3 times, while MP works just fine. But aside from this server problem, man, what a game mode. In my opinion, Sledgehammer has defeated Treyarch. The horrific atmosphere the whole game brings...amazing. The morgue, the blood, the testsubjects....and wow what kind of shivers went down my spine when I discovered the exploding zombies are two humans stapled to eaach other, one using it's arms to carry an explosive bin. What a sick and awesome minds the developers must have :P. And not to forget the Panzermörder...a creature thaat absolutely terryfies me: as well its appearance, as its sound, as the things he exists of. But besides this horrific and bloody kind of fear, there is something else that makes Nazi Zombies extra creepy: The things like the puppets, eerie music, the toys and the rocking horse. 

It's not only the fear that makes Nazi Zombies so good, the whole game is different than the casual type of CoD Zombies. The Final Reich is really more quest-focussed, in the good way, which makes it feel more campaign-like than regular zombies. I consider this as something unique, and therefore like it. 

The characters, location, science and backstory are all present, and whats more, they are all connected pretty neat and it all actually makes sense. I really look forward to the next map and continuation of Nazi Zombies, and hope it'll be s good as the Final Reich.

I dont have all time now, so I stop typing. What do you think of this map and Nazi Zombies as a whole?

Oh, and I am really fond on all the German words in the game (devices, power-ups, et cetera). Sound fitting and funny.

I could write a book about how much I am enjoying it. Though, it is very much the same as most other z-modes, I still really enjoy it and love the grind. Wish we had different looking prestige emblems though, sucks we have the same as mp but with a color change. Anyways... I LOVE IT! :)

In short, I am loving it but it is one step away from greatness.

The Good: Visuals, depth, enemies, things to do

It is different enough from Treyarch to be very fresh yet similar enough to scratch the zombies itch. The setting is flawless. The graphics and horror aspect are fantastic. It is not just re-skinned Treyarch. The way the zombies move and spawn are completely different in a good way. The new class system and mods are a great addition. 

The way they did the casual vs hardcore EE is awesome. I will actually do an EE now lol. 

The health system I think is awesome. 
Treyarch zombies looks like a kids game compared to the dark horror Sledgehammer have cooked up. 

So Close!:

Training still works (less effective though). Why? I was hoping for a greater change in the zombies meta. 

Orders. WHY WHY WHY do we not have daily orders like multiplayer??? Even if there was just three to choose from. SO EASY to implement. Get 100 headshots. Survive till round 20. get 200 SMG kills. the list of possibilities goes on. Give us a supply drop or xp boos for each we complete. 

Why does each level up not give a supply drop? WHy is is to bad for us to have more of them? 

Overall I am very happy with how it turned out. I hope the DLC is dope. 

It's good. Better than IW zombies, that's for sure, but it still doesn't hold a candle to Treyarch zombies for me. The vibe was a step in the right direction, zombies are supposed to be scary and WWII has it right. That's something that Treyarch has lacked in many of its recent maps. Sledgehammer's community support has also been shockingly bad, quite frankly, whereas Treyarch do actually listen to the community. Gonna take a LOT more to convince me that Sledgehammer can compete with Treyarch, at this point - I've not even bought the season pass yet, that's how unconfident I am in Sledgehammer as it stands.

I will add to my opinion now that I have completed the casual EE. I think I have been spoiled with the sheer number of Treyarch maps. I played zombies twice a week and never played a map twice in a month. With WWII I find myself taking a week long break between playthroughs. Once I had gotten to wave 30+ and papped every weapon then completed the EE I am not sure why I would play again. In a week I will get that zombies itch and play again but I feel like my interest has fallen off quicker. 

The house map helps that a lot. After doing the EE my friend and I went into that and get the papped box and played to wave 22. it was fun.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, andydabeast said:

I will add to my opinion now that I have completed the casual EE. I think I have been spoiled with the sheer number of Treyarch maps. I played zombies twice a week and never played a map twice in a month. With WWII I find myself taking a week long break between playthroughs. Once I had gotten to wave 30+ and papped every weapon then completed the EE I am not sure why I would play again. In a week I will get that zombies itch and play again but I feel like my interest has fallen off quicker. 

The house map helps that a lot. After doing the EE my friend and I went into that and get the papped box and played to wave 22. it was fun.

I feel what you mean. Perhaps doing challenges such as this one will help:

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/topic/185297-i-unlocked-the-mountaineer-character/?tab=comments#comment-1765309

On 12/4/2017 at 4:21 PM, anonymous said:

I feel what you mean. Perhaps doing challenges such as this one will help:

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/topic/185297-i-unlocked-the-mountaineer-character/?tab=comments#comment-1765309

True, those are there to do. I really wish the weapon progression was like BO3. I was so looking forward to ranking up all the weapons and was quite disappointed to see that not implemented. I would play just to rank them up. In BO3 I printed a list of them with their max levels and check-boxes to get them all done :slobber48:

I am also afraid to prestige in zombies because of all the glitches. Takes away some motivation to play just for ranking up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so now that I have properly got to play the map few times I think I'm going to tell my thoughts about. Note that these are still very first impressions of the map and how some features and such do in the long run idk yet. And I still probably have a lot of features I haven't discovered.

The setting

By far my favorite setting from all zombies maps, the visuals are great and the map looks like what a zombies map should in my opinion. I really hope they go with this "horror" theme through the whole WW2 season. 

Zombies

So far I like the different zombie types a lot more than I liked in BO3. None are too difficult to deal with, but also aren't easy. The point dropping zombie is great XD

Weapons

Weapons feel well balanced, some weapons are better some are worse like it should go. And maybe I just haven't found it yet but you can't double pack-a-punch, and I think it's great! I'll actually have to keep an eye on my ammo and eventually start running out of firepower too.

Loadouts

This is actually something I like more than I thought I would. Changing the starting gear and abilities does affect how you play the game a bit. But it doesn't make things too easy, or at least not so far. None of the abilities seem too overpowered and you can't just pick from any weapon but a small selection of weaker weapons. Just hoping they won't add anything that will ruin this in dlc or updates.

Consumables

This is basically the gobblegums of this game. And from the ones I've seen none of them is overpowered and game breaking. But I still haven't unlocked all of them so there's that. Also hoping they won't add anything too overpowered in updates or dlc.

Idk why people don't give this game a chance, I'm finding The Final Reich more enjoyable than any of the BO3 maps. I've seen Youtubers still make pointless videos about BO3... when what seems to going to be an amazing zombie season in WW2 is on going. The lack of discussion is actually pretty sad. Are people too stubborn to accept that others than Treyarch can bring out a good zombies map? Or does no one really play this? Idk just seems odd...

• Moderators

So I just got the game today and have played two long games. So far, I think this is the best non-Treyarch zombies mode and hope the rest of the season follows suit.

The Positives:

-The gameplay feels very smooth like you would expect, aside from the melee animation though I think that was intentional and a good mixup on traditional zombies gameplay to force you to think smarter before going for a melee kill.

- I love the way the health system works with it being visible to you in the bottom left as it adds to the intensity of being one hit from death as well as provides you with useful information.

- I also love that they did away with a Juggernog perk and went with this armor system. Not only is it a mixup on normal gameplay and adds some challenge, but it frees up what would normally be a mandatory perk slot and allows more perk loadout customization which I feel is lacking in Treyarch's maps as of late, since in solo Juggernog, Quick Revive, and Double Tap are essential allowing for only one perk slot to customize really with only a few viable options per map.

- I think the mini-bosses are fair and challenging in the right way, and spawn with good variability.

- I like the way they've done the quests, with a major one being more accessible without any outside knowledge. I know the community is divided on this, but personally I think what kills zombies maps in terms of replayability is the lack of anything to do. A casual quest gives you something pretty straightforward to do if you choose and doesn't require you pulling up an outside guide every time. It's both engaging while allowing you to play casually and not having to commit completely. Doing an easter egg in every other game requires pretty much full attention and sometimes requires multiple players also committing full attention. This quest gives you something to do to progress while also not being mandatory. I think they should continue with the current formula, and maybe Treyarch could take a note or two.

- Accessible to everyone. I think not many zombies veterans in places like CoDz may notice this, but The Final Reich is very accessible to casuals which is NOT a bad thing. As it stands the community needs some revitalizing, and the best way to do that is introduce new people. The map has a lot to do and is not super hard. The casual quest will keep people new to zombies coming back. There's stuff to unlock and secrets to find once they finish the casual quest. While I love the map Shadows of Evil, it is the complete opposite of this map and pushed a lot of new players away which I think the mode desperately needs. People not familiar with zombies should enjoy this one the same way we enjoyed Nacht or Kino back in the day, and hopefully they will keep coming back.

- The pacing of zombie encounters is near perfect. What I feared most about this mode being developed by Sledgehammer was the annoying, frantic, exhausting pace of Exo-Zombies. Every zombie was so fast and spawned so quickly, the EMP zombies slowed you to a crawl and blinded you, the zombies bled out incredibly quickly too enraging anyone trying to do an easter egg or just look at the map for a second. I had a similar problem with Extinction and to an extent Black Ops III. Black Ops is way too slow looking back on it now. Black Ops II almost had it right if not for the zombies bleeding out after being shot once. Black Ops III had the zombies being so fast at launch they had to nerf their hit speed, but even still it was a little much. I think this game has done it so damn well.

The Negatives

- While I think the map is fun and appreciate it is accessible to casual players, I do think it is too easy for people that know zombies mechanics already. Of the two games I played, the first I got through most of the quest, got confused and and a little bored around wave 25 and let myself die, then the second game I beat the casual quest, played for a bit and let myself die again. But it is hard to knock this map for being easy because of how well it is appealing to new players, which we desperately need to keep the mode alive! I just hope as the season progresses they step up the difficulty a little. I think a good solution to this would be to follow the relic system put into Extinction (similarly the skulls system in Halo). Add little modifiers that you can turn on to make the game harder or more interesting. Some can be silly, while some can add a lot of challenge and they can be mixed and matched. Maybe even add some in-game challenges or achievements with them or XP boosters so there is incentive to use them.

- I know people complained about the "jump-scare"-ey music that plays as zombies pop up from nowhere, but I don't think it happens often enough to be annoying. However it is a bit cheap and annoying from the gameplay side.

- The characters are just lacking. After watching the opening cutscene, playing through as the characters, and finishing the casual quest, the characters just didn't leave me with any lasting impressions. The problem with celebrities in zombies is the whole appeal of them being famous only works if the player knows what they have been in. Everyone else will just be scratching their heads wondering what the point is or why they should like them. Celebrities are done right in Mob of the Dead and Shadows of Evil because they stand out as characters rather than famous people despite me not knowing who half of them were. I know the motivations of a character like Jackie Vincent despite having never known of the actor's existence before. I know people were excited about David Tennant because he was in Doctor Who, which is great, but what's his character? From the intro, I know nothing about him as a person other than he's over-the-top British. Now, being an over-the-top stereotype works for Ultimis because they are funny and charming just like the game, which Tennant's character really isn't. If something's funny it's because he says something with an accent. There is no character trait like being insane or angry or honorable to work off of and thus he becomes bland. The others are the same way, and don't do or say anything to make me care about what is going on in the intro or in gameplay. This doesn't have to be Shakespeare-level writing. But if the game is going to take itself so seriously I'd wish they would improve the characters. The whole time I just thought of a quote from the episode of Spongebob Squarepants "Patty Hype":

SpongeBob (Sledehammer): Here you go, sir. (Giving me The Final Reich)

Dave (Me): Oh. Krabby Patties, huh? (New, celebrity characters, huh?)

Mr. Krabs (Activision): Finest under the sea!

Dave (Me): Yeah, yeah, sure. But where's the pizzazz?

Mr. Krabs (Activision): Huh?

Dave (Me): Look at this place (game). I mean, what is the theme here? Underwater? (Some random people in a Snowy city looking for art?) It's boring! [He (I) turns and crawls away] Food (Interesting Characters)! Water (Memorable Interactions and Locations)! Atmosphere (Atmosphere)!

- Speaking of atmosphere, let's all just drop the idea that zombies can become scary again. For new players, maybe, but that's not the appeal of zombies anymore. JCBackfire in his most recent video stated the same thing, that people don't play zombies to get scared, and pushing so much resources into trying to scare the player at least once is kind of a waste. I think a better idea is just general creepiness. A feeling you are being watched or something is lurking around the corner. In the Final Reich, I know something is lurking around the corner and its a hunched over corpse mumbling something in German who I will just blow apart as the scary music chord kicks in. It's more about what COULD be out there but isn't instead of what you're going to fight next. Zombies as an enemy are not scary anymore, so the developers should be more creative. Take Zetsubou as an example of creepiness done right. The music is setting-appropriate and not overused, and there aren't zombies popping up from random places. Instead the map does its best with lighting and the visuals of plants overtaking the facility as well as the stillness of everything to show just how alone you are on this island devoid of life. Just the thought of it can give me chills. And at the same time it does not hinder the goofy, fun nature of the characters and how they interact with the environment. Primis say their quips as they pop out fully formed from a gooey egg plant or shoot at spiders with a mini-gun. It's fun, but if you take the time to just look at the environment and the atmosphere, it can be chilling. I appreciate the grotesque designs of the zombies and the bosses in The Final Reich, as well as the design of the underground bunker, but it feels like stuff you would design for a movie set that is supposed to be graphically realistic, but instead I know its a game where I run around shooting things and spend points to make my guns shoot lasers until I get bored or don't run in the right way. Atmosphere is best when it takes advantage of how the game is played and doesn't hinder it, instead enhancing it. Zetsubou is understated enough to where I'm not rolling my eyes at something trying to scare me or creep me out, but if you switch up the status quo and slow down to look at it all it changes the tone, and thus it blends with the normal gameplay to make something special. Both The Final Reich and Zetsubou feel empty, but Zetsubou can give you the sneaking suspicion that it isn't. That's why the round 50 monster easter egg outside the map is my favorite of the series. It's just so creepy to think that there's this creature just lurking in the darkness out there just watching or waiting for me, and it lends some credence to my fears that there is something out there besides the zombies, even though it's just a flat image moving across the screen a few pixels in reality. I could go on all day about atmosphere, but I won't for the sake of everyone's sanity.

- The loadout system and consumables don't really offer anything interesting to me. There's nothing quite like switching up gobblegums before each game of BO3, and so far I don't really care about switching up the current mods I have equipped now, and I think it's pretty much like that for everyone else. Everyone has a certain playstyle and for that reason I think they will just pick one super and one set of mods that they will use forever, because why switch it up when everything else is inferior? Also I don't like how attachments are just tied to your overall rank. It feels shallow to me and doesn't really make me want to switch up the weapons I use each game.

Overall I like it and look forward to Nazi Zombies going forward, and just hope they improve the characters and atmosphere somewhat going forward.

In terms of Zombies modes, I'd rank them this way so far:

1. Black Ops Zombies

2. Black Ops III Zombies

3. Black Ops II Zombies

4. WWII Nazi Zombies

5. WaW Zombies

6. Exo-Zombies

7. Infinite Warfare Zombies

Archived