Spam

anonymous

Question

• Moderators

I cannot believe that someone is that lifeless that he/she creates these topics just to annoy the community. So its a bot. But how? I believe there is a "I am human" test when creating an account. How do bots get in here. And more impirtantly, how do we prevent it?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 answers to this question

Honestly, this isn't the first time this has happened. I've seen this once or twice on the forums before, and it's not exactly a new thing that happens. That being said, I can't exactly be certain as to an answer for why or how these people (or bots, if they are bots) end up getting in here. Typically, these things happen through people. Could easily be that a person with the means of creating an account then running a bot through this account afterwards would be the case. I personally don't know, however, so don't take my word on that.

In the meantime, I'd have suggested mentioning people so this gets fixed faster. Like... @InfestLithium, or @Lenne, or whoever's active. Typically helps these issues get dealt with faster.

• Administrators

They're most likely not bots. We have a Re-CAPTCHA system that provides site security in the form of typing distorted text, completing a jigsaw puzzle, or even a new AI that intelligently determines if a user is a bot.

A human can easily bypass this but a boy can't. I've added an extra security measure until it's died down for now.

16 hours ago, anonymous said:

It would be truly sad if this is done by humans. Not only for us, the victims, but for their efford and time they put into itas well. Makes me wonder what kind of life such people have.

You definitely tackle this with HUGE vehemence and hatred, more than most (if I'm understanding correctly). It, again, isn't abnormal. Spam's likely been around since the inception of the earliest emails and chatrooms, so... personally, I'm used to it. People do what people do. Yes, it's wasted time for the person and/or those that are subjected, but I can't say that it reads into what level of life standing they have. Perhaps they're just bored and want to screw with people - that's what we end up doing.

Not siding with the spammer, but I can understand why they choose to do it. So... I dunno. It's taken care of no less, in the end.

15 hours ago, InfestLithium said:

They're most likely not bots. We have a Re-CAPTCHA system that provides site security in the form of typing distorted text, completing a jigsaw puzzle, or even a new AI that intelligently determines if a user is a bot.

A human can easily bypass this but a boy can't. I've added an extra security measure until it's died down for now.

That all actually sounds awesome. GG no re, Infest.

I'd hope the clutter of posts gets taken care of soon enough, though? It's at least a page and a half worth of spam, and... yeah, just doesn't look nice.

• Administrators

I have turned off registrations for now until the situation is resolved. Have concluded it is indeed manual spammers, not bots, that are attacking the forums.

At least it's nothing compared to the dreaded Keechin War (can't even say the word without the system filter going nuts haha).

On 11/17/2017 at 6:23 PM, InfestLithium said:

I have turned off registrations for now until the situation is resolved. Have concluded it is indeed manual spammers, not bots, that are attacking the forums.

At least it's nothing compared to the dreaded Keechin War (can't even say the word without the system filter going nuts haha).

Awesome as always, Infest. Thanks for figuring all this out (as, I'm sure it's a good bit of work).

Archived