Theory: Shadowman is Dr Monty

ColeT16

This theory is something I thought the other day, and doesn't have a lot of evidence.

so far we haven't seen doctor montys appearance, so my speculation is that he looks like the human shadowman. We know that he isn't human so he could have copied his appearance from someone, possibly Monty, hearing Montys voice, he sounds like a fairly old guy, just like the shadowman. Also we know how Monty is manipulating the origins crew, similar to how the shadowman did to the soe crew. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, Welcome to the site!

Second, I have seen this theory take the subreddit by force, and it really disappoints me to be honest. So many people passing off an unprovable theory as fact.

Anyway, I suppose now is a good time and here is a good place to explain the holes in this theory. I'll start off with the stuff that makes this theory a bit off. While at first it does seem that Monty is trying to break the group up, it doesn't quite make sense under further inspection. If he was trying to sow the seeds of civil war in our heroes, he would have also tried to turn Richtofen on the others. What does he do instead? He essentially tells him to keep in line because he doesn't trust him. He even admits that it could be the paranoia rubbing off on him. Also, Monty has explained so many things through what he has told us. Why would Treyarch invalidate what he said by making him a liar? That's not just him defying logic and reason, that would be Treyarch defying logic and reason.

Now onto the evidence that blatantly disproves this theory. Monty "stepped in" after Origins. He went to the house, met Maxis, and said he would help. Monty told Maxis to have Richtofen collect the Kronorium, which he did. Richtofen learned of the Summoning Key from the Kronorium that Monty told him to get. We also know that while he is omnipotent, he can't be everywhere. Richtofen then takes the Summoning Key, and we know from Blundell that as of the time of Der Eisendrache, the Shadow Man is inside the Key. How can Monty, an omnipotent but not metaomnipotent entity, be trapped inside the key and also at the house with Maxis? It just doesn't work.

I think ColeT16 could have a point. The Shadowman and Monty do have some eery similarities. First being the whole man in the sky bit. Not to mention Monty nearly word-for-word quotes the Shadowman. To what end is this? The Shadowman is a non-human entity who deceived us with a human form. So, what if the Shadowman was impersonating Monty? Not the other way around. The Shadowman needed an identity and dared to play God, literally. Monty on the other hand mocks this attempt later on. It's a cool idea. And it would explain why they seem so similar. Or at least those quotes.

10 minutes ago, MysteryMachineX said:

I think ColeT16 could have a point. The Shadowman and Monty do have some eery similarities. First being the whole man in the sky bit. Not to mention Monty nearly word-for-word quotes the Shadowman. To what end is this? The Shadowman is a non-human entity who deceived us with a human form. So, what if the Shadowman was impersonating Monty? Not the other way around. The Shadowman needed an identity and dared to play God, literally. Monty on the other hand mocks this attempt later on. It's a cool idea. And it would explain why they seem so similar. Or at least those quotes.

Similarities do not make them the same entity however. Also, I would like to point out that while the Shadow Man appears to be, for all intensive purposes, an Apothicon entity of the third dimension, Monty appears to be a mysterious, non-human, quite possibly formless entity of the fourth dimension. He is on the same level as Buried's Richtofen and Maxis post-EE. The Shadow Man however, appears to be only a manipulator and a tool for his Overlords. The Shadow Man could not control anything himself, where as Monty can control things himself such as the boxes and machines.

Just now, AetherialVoices said:

Similarities do not make them the same entity however. Also, I would like to point out that while the Shadow Man appears to be, for all intensive purposes, an Apothicon entity of the third dimension, Monty appears to be a mysterious, non-human, quite possibly formless entity of the fourth dimension. He is on the same level as Buried's Richtofen and Maxis post-EE. The Shadow Man however, appears to be only a manipulator and a tool for his Overlords. The Shadow Man could not control anything himself, where as Monty can control things himself such as the boxes and machines.

Just adding a bit:

I believe that Monty is doing a good thing. He genuinely wants to fix the fracturing of the universe. But he doesn't care about us. If he thinks anyone will be in the way or are no longer necessary, he will kill them or get rid of them in some other way. He is a necessary evil to be able to fix the universe. (Speculation and theory ahead) Richtofen knows what Monty is like. He also knows that they need to follow him regardless, because without him, they have no chance of fixing anything. Thus, the blood vials. Originally just for him, but then he ended up bonding with the others, so he decided he would protect them all.

Archived