World at War Characters in Purgatory [Video included]

Eradicati0n

Hey guys.

So as most people, I was a tad confused about the situations we find the World at War characters in in Black Ops 3. It seems strange that they're all stuck in places that would be a major event in their own personal stories, yet we have never seen these events take place in the World at War timeline, nor are they mentioned prior to that.

Obviously we all know what happened prior to Der Riese. Richtofen kidnapped Nikolai, Dempsey, Takeo, and the Mexican Test Subject, and then he eventually awoke them when the zombies descended on the facility. So why do we find the World at War characters aged and alone in Black Ops 3? I put it down to just creative license but then decided to do some searching. A Reddit user suggested the idea of a purgatory and, being a fan of both zombies theories and old literature, I started to piece together a theory of my own. This is it:

After the death of World at War Richotfen and thus, the break in the World at War story's continuity, the existing three World at War characters are placed into their own personal purgatory. Purgatory is a place of atonement after death to gain passage to paradise. I am using Dante's Divine Comedy as my reference point for this information, specifically the "Inferno" chapter, in which Dante passes through Purgatory, a place where the dew of repentance washes away the sins of those that have renounced their misdeeds, so that they may eventually know the joy of Heaven's paradise.

It is not clear who or what put the World at War characters into purgatory. Monty, the Vril-Ya, it is never really explored, but the religious imagery is undeniable. Each of the existing World at War characters are going through tasks that go against their own personal feelings and desires, seemingly to attone for a final goal. Dempsey has been captured by the enemy and is being used for their own gains, Takeo is imprisoned and left to rot, and Nikolai is forced to defend his homeland against an unstoppable horde on his own.

The religious imagery comes into play even more at the end of Gorod Krovi, when the souls of Three of our Four World at War characters ascend to what is presumed to be the paradise of The House.

I've made a video on this subject and would love some feedback. This theory took a decent amount of research and formulation. This is my first post here, hopefully you'll find its a quality one.

Eradicati0n

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Welcome to the site, seems like this is your first post. And what kind of post.... looks good. But if the BO3 maps are all the purgatory of the WaW characters, why is it that it is probably all, except Nikolai, are in the same universe? Primis took the Giant robot to go from The Giant to Der Eisendrache. Purgatory seems to me that each character has his own "universe" which is his purgatory. The characters can't be in the same purgatory at the same time, can they?

First, welcome to the site!

Second, what it appears is that a group of fourth dimensional entities created the universe as we know it, and they also created their own individual, smaller realms called dimensions. Mob of the Dead and Shadows of Evil are examples of these dimensions. It is not exactly a "purgatory" like many people think. It is a small realm created by a fourth dimensional entity for said entity's own personal goals (such as the entity sometimes called the "Ancient Evil" (for lack of a better term) in Mob of the Dead). Monty is one of these entities, and a relatively helpful one at that.

2 hours ago, anonymous said:

Welcome to the site, seems like this is your first post. And what kind of post.... looks good. But if the BO3 maps are all the purgatory of the WaW characters, why is it that it is probably all, except Nikolai, are in the same universe? Primis took the Giant robot to go from The Giant to Der Eisendrache. Purgatory seems to me that each character has his own "universe" which is his purgatory. The characters can't be in the same purgatory at the same time, can they?

They are not in the same universe. It has been implied and hinted at in ciphers and intentional continuity errors that they are all in different universes. The things that shouldn't be probably started out in just a couple of universes, but because of the opening of the portal in France, the universes have begun to "bleed". This is causing what we see as "continuity" across the different universes. And as for that last point, going under the assumption that Mob of the Dead was in fact a purgatory (which it isn't), then that means that at least four/five souls can be trapped in one purgatory.

• Administrators

Having approved this post, I want to notate something for anyone who wonders why a video was permitted. 

For one, very well thought out post @Eradicati0n, you took the time to actually write out your thoughts, which is exceptional. The video is also very good and, as the post goes into great detail, is a fair option for the viewer. While I advise against the regular practice, I approved this post myself and applaud your effort, OP.  Thanks for sharing and we look forward to seeing you in the threads. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AetherialVoices said:

First, welcome to the site!

Second, what it appears is that a group of fourth dimensional entities created the universe as we know it, and they also created their own individual, smaller realms called dimensions. Mob of the Dead and Shadows of Evil are examples of these dimensions. It is not exactly a "purgatory" like many people think. It is a small realm created by a fourth dimensional entity for said entity's own personal goals (such as the entity sometimes called the "Ancient Evil" (for lack of a better term) in Mob of the Dead). Monty is one of these entities, and a relatively helpful one at that.

They are not in the same universe. It has been implied and hinted at in ciphers and intentional continuity errors that they are all in different universes. The things that shouldn't be probably started out in just a couple of universes, but because of the opening of the portal in France, the universes have begun to "bleed". This is causing what we see as "continuity" across the different universes. And as for that last point, going under the assumption that Mob of the Dead was in fact a purgatory (which it isn't), then that means that at least four/five souls can be trapped in one purgatory.

So it isn't one universe, but because the universes bleed, the Primis are able to go from location to location (like with the Giant Robot from Breslaw to Austria) without going though a portal?

19 minutes ago, anonymous said:

So it isn't one universe, but because the universes bleed, the Primis are able to go from location to location (like with the Giant Robot from Breslaw to Austria) without going though a portal?

I'm not exactly sure, however they confirmed (although in a subtle way) that the Giant Robot that they used in their attempt to reach Griffin Castle was not the Gigant Robot that was being built (or most likely taken apart) at the Der Riese facility. S.O.P.H.I.A., in one of her radio messages, reports the differences between the German versions and the Russian Gigant models. The Gigant models are made with two major differences. The first is that the armor was not designed to be able to withstand massive amounts of fire (like the dragons). The second is the fact that unlike the German versions, the Russian versions are capable of firing a laser out of their cranial dome. The fact that we see the cranial dome of the disassembled Giant robot confirms that this was in fact a Russian model, which they had most likely captured from the Eastern Front.

5 minutes ago, anonymous said:

You have a good point there, but I watched the DE intro

At 00:36, when the robot raises his hand, you see the German Iron Cross on his chest. So I think the robot has to be German.

I think you missed my point...

18 minutes ago, AetherialVoices said:

I'm not exactly sure, however they confirmed (although in a subtle way) that the Giant Robot that they used in their attempt to reach Griffin Castle was not the Gigant Robot that was being built (or most likely taken apart) at the Der Riese facility.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, AetherialVoices said:

I think you missed my point...

To the contrary, the model at Der Riese and the model at DE are the same, as I recall, and quotes from the characters themselves confirm that they did indeed travel from The Giant to DE by robot. 

22 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

To the contrary, the model at Der Riese and the model at DE are the same, as I recall, and quotes from the characters themselves confirm that they did indeed travel from The Giant to DE by robot. 

All that they say is that Richtofen "secured their extraction from the 935 facility". Another thing is that the Russian ones were nearly "indestructible" in that their only serious weakness was the dragon fire. The Origins robots were described as "indestructable" and we see one or two on the ground, but no evidence whatsoever as to how they were taken out (if they even were). Then we see this model that has the iron cross on it, much like the Origins ones, however it (as we see in the cutscene) gets shot in the right shoulder and loses an arm. Then we get into the map, and two things don't add up. One, Dempsey says "... and by that, I mean it took an RPG straight to the face". And two, we can see a Giant Robot outside the map. This one, unlike the one in the cutscene, appears to be on the same scale as the ones in Origins. This one has it's "face" and right arm still fully intact and seemingly unharmed. Also, the difference in universes explains the inconsistency with security protocol 935. And the final point is that Richtofen... Um... Okay, I just realized something. The point I was about to make is invalid, but I will elaborate on it a bit. I was going to say that Richtofen spent years searching out just the right versions of all of them, but that's not true. Only the other three. He knew that the needed version of himself was already in the house, but he could just kill any Richtofen to trick the others into believing he's in the same boat as them. So, potentially yes. It could be the same universe for The Giant and Der Eisendrache. But not Zetsubou or Gorod Krovi. They have been throwing intentional inconsistencies and over-consistencies (that might not be a word but I'm gonna work with it) to show us how every universe is different, but that they are bleeding into one another. Anyway, yes The Giant and Der Eisendrache could be in the same universe, but the...

ACK ACK ACK!

I went to get pictures, but I was proven wrong!

*sigh*

Okay, the Giant robot from The Giant is the same one that we see in the cutscene, but it is not the one that we see outside of the map (meaning Der Eisendrache here). Also, it is a different model than the two models that we have seen in Origins and Gorod Krovi.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, AetherialVoices said:

ACK ACK ACK!

I went to get pictures, but I was proven wrong!

*sigh*

Okay, the Giant robot from The Giant is the same one that we see in the cutscene, but it is not the one that we see outside of the map (meaning Der Eisendrache here). Also, it is a different model than the two models that we have seen in Origins and Gorod Krovi.

It's placement is definitely most wrong; but tell me, does the one outside the map have one arm missing?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, AetherialVoices said:

No it does not. Also, the one outside of The Giant and the one in the cutscene appear to be quite a bit smaller than that one.

Wow, how odd. What a strange oversight. Of course, Dempsey does say that their robot took an RPG to the face..............go figger that one.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, AetherialVoices said:

Perhaps these are those "115 induced delusions" we keep hearing about.

Meh, I'm not sure we can chalk that one up that easy. They're delusional, but I believe he would either be speaking metaphorically or something to that effect.

4 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

Meh, I'm not sure we can chalk that one up that easy. They're delusional, but I believe he would either be speaking metaphorically or something to that effect.

Hmm... I seem to remember Blundell mentioning something about "game conceits"... Let me see if I can find it.

Found it!

Go to about 14:25.

• Moderators

It has told us that the things that happen between maps are just as important as the maps self. Between DE and ZNS the nO4 are somehow on a Japanese ship (from a castle in the Alpines? Kinda weird if you ask me). Between ZNS and GK, the nO4 go though a portal to do something before they finally go to Stalingrad, but it is still unknown what. When they return in ZNS, they go though a giant portal, and find their way, together with Pvt. Peter, the spy, to the city on fire. The part between The Giant and DE seemed the only solid part for me till now. Not anymore.

Archived