Our Questionable Friend Dr Monty and his Perk-a-Cola Machines

AetherialVoices

Alright, this is going to be a fairly quick post. I just had a realization that I wanted to share.

So, I was going around the Subreddit, and I came across a theory that Monty was completely unaware of what happens in Mob of the Dead and Gorod Krovi. I personally found several substantial flaws in the theory, but the one thing that was a bit interesting was the flickering perk machines. The theory stated that the machines were flickering because it wasn't Monty that put them there. One important observation that I made is what happens when the perk machines are turned off. You still have the perk you drank, however you don't have the effect. I would like to add that this applies only to perks that you physically drink and not ones obtained through Gobblegum or drops. Perhaps these beverages allow the mysterious entity known as Monty to bless us with enhancements using the machine itself as a connection to whatever dimension that he is in. This is no explanation for the phasing perk machines in Mob of the Dead. Perhaps the machines are only designed to exist in the universe and not in the other dimensions. Over long periods of time, perk machines in other dimensions begin to phase in and out of reality itself. This would explain the phasing in and out in Mob of the Dead, as it is suggested that they have been in that cycle for years. This would also explain the lack of phasing in Shadows of Evil, as our four characters are described as "newly cursed souls", implying that they only recently began this torment.

Those are my thoughts, and apologies for the relatively poor formatting. Let me know what you think about this.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember only electric cherry was flickering in motd

And only in ascension (because of the apes)  and tranzit (ventilator) you could buy perks from machines without main power

In ascension you lost the perk but in tranzit you still had the effect of the perk?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Nieno69 said:

And only in ascension (because of the apes)  and tranzit (ventilator) you could buy perks from machines without main power

In ascension you lost the perk but in tranzit you still had the effect of the perk?

Monkeys in Ascension wouldn't appear til the power was on, and Buried also had the turbine to get perks without power.

Buying perks with the turbine meant when the turbine broke the perk faded and effects don't happen unless you got a new turbine or turned on power.

13 minutes ago, RadZakpak said:

Monkeys in Ascension wouldn't appear til the power was on, and Buried also had the turbine to get perks without power.

Buying perks with the turbine meant when the turbine broke the perk faded and effects don't happen unless you got a new turbine or turned on power.

Yeah but the monkeys put the perk off after power?

Forgot about buried ok

Hm i never noticed that it doesnt stay or dont remember well

So on zns if you part power the map they dont have a effect if the water runs out?

16 hours ago, Nieno69 said:

This has always puzzled me about how the perk machines work. A monkey attacks and damages a perk machine. It doesn't destroy it or turn it off, but completely removes the effect from those who have had a drink from it. But when the machine simply turns off/loses power, the perk isn't removed, it's just inactive.

Although it's not even important, the perk machines definitely act like a radial power core. You can't have the drink and perk without the machine (lets just ignore Zetsubou No Shima as it has perks that don't have a machine or a Der Wunderfizz). The monkeys, when attacking the machines, seem to sever the link. While when the machine depowers, the link isn't severed, but simply just turns off.

Archived