The Relationship of Dr Monty & Dr Edward Richtofen.

LegitimateRage

The Gorod Krovi Easter Egg is solved and we have advanced further in understanding Blundell’s Zombies Storyline. If you haven’t seen it yet, check out the Cutscene and subsequent Monty Dialogue.  From this few minutes and a previous minute of monologue during DLC 2, we can piece together the rough nature of the DLC 4 Story. First let’s read the transcript of Doctor Monty’s speech after the EE:

Okay. Nikolai, Dempsey, Takeo, I'm only talking to you right now. Richtofen, he can't hear me, see he's probably off doing his own thing now anyway, no change there I suppose! The good news is, you're nearly done. It'll soon be time to come to The House. *But, this plan, this big plan, a lot of it's been riding on Richtofen. Before he caught up with you guys he spent years travelling, searching out the right versions of you, the ones who held the key to closing off the other dimensions. I think you know by now exactly what that entails. Point is, he's kind of a surplus to requirements these days, he's been in the house for ages butdon't tell him. Anyway it'll all make sense when you get here, it's going to be fine. Oh shit, I completely forgot to introduce myself. I'm Doctor Monty. So nice to see you all..

Let’s break some of this down.

“Richtofen, he can't hear me, see he's probably off doing his own thing now anyway, no change there I suppose!”

This tells us a lot about the nature of Edward and Monty’s relationship. Monty is seeking out the other three but not Richtofen, why? Is there a vendetta against Edward from Monty? We can already see that their relationship is not a friendly one, as Monty makes a snide remake of Richtofen going off and doing his own thing. Clearly he does not like Richtofen.

“Before he caught up with you guys he spent years travelling”

This confirms what was previously thought, that Richtofen spent years after Origins searching for the Kronorium. What he got up to in these two years I believe we’ll find out in the Comics coming out soon.

“Point is, he's kind of a surplus to requirements”

Monty no longer needs Richtofen now that the Souls have been extracted. As previously mentioned, Monty doesn’t like Edward and he wants to “dispose” of him somehow. But I’ll get back to that later.

“he's been in the house for ages but don't tell him.”

Again I don’t wanna talk about this just yet but hold onto this as its crucial. All I'll say for now is Monty doesn't want Richtofen to uncover his true fate.

Okay, we’ve analysed that. Now, let’s take a trip back to DLC 2 time. Where Treyarch released this Richtofen “memories” segment. I’m going to do the same thing again, transcribe it and analyse the important parts:

“My name is Edward Richtofen. And I've been trying so hard to do the right thing. Long ago, I made a promise, a vow to protect him. In order to keep my word, I have done bad things, *very bad things. I do not regret the pain that I've caused because none of it really matters. This moment, this me, all of it will soon be gone. I have lied, I have cheated, I have deceived. All for a purpose you could never understand. I would not change a single thing. He thinks I do not know. But I do. The blood will protect me.*”

“Long ago, I made a promise, a vow to protect him. In order to keep my word, I have done bad things, very bad things”.

While we don’t know how long ago exactly he’s talking about, we might be able to assume he’s talking right around the time where Richtofen set off on his travelling. This statement shows that Edward is indebted to Monty somehow, he owes his life to him. And throughout this it does seem like Richtofen is aware he’s addressing a higher being, one more powerful than he is.

“I do not regret the pain that I've caused because none of it really matters. This moment, this me, all of it will soon be gone.”

The gravitas of this cannot be ignored. Richtofen knows he and everything around him is expendable. Whatever Edward is doing for Monty he values more than his life if the end goal is peace. This can be justified with the opening dialogue “And I've been trying so hard to do the right thing”. While he may not trust Monty, he agrees that what he’s trying to achieve must be accomplished, just maybe not the part where he has to die..

“He thinks I do not know. But I do. The blood will protect me.”

This is what I was coming back to. Richtofen knows that he is expendable, but Monty does not know that Richtofen knows this. Richtofen has a plan to outmanoeuvre Monty when Monty eventually tries to off Richtofen from the plan. And he’s not just doing this for himself, but his allies when after the ZNS cutscene we all receive blood vials. Maybe once Monty realises Edward’s counter-plan, he will try to take out Tank, Nikolai and Takeo too, believing that they are without blood?

Ultimately, this is a case of two beings thinking they are one step ahead of the other. Monty is clearly the more superior, higher being who underestimates Edward and Richtofen knows he’s in treacherous path. In my personal opinion Richtofen’s memories segment is an excerpt he’s personally written in the Kronorium (which is confirmed a book) as a sort of memoir/suicide note in case his plan goes wrong.

When Monty says “he’s been in the house for ages”, I think this is metaphorical. Monty means that Richtofen had signed his death warrant as soon as he sworn his oath to protect Monty, he’s in the ethereal house and just doesn’t know it yet. The blood will keep the Origins 4 as pure, whole beings on Earth when Monty tries to kill them. What is clear though is that Monty wants to turn the other three against Richtofen. Maybe Monty suspects Richtofen’s double-cross?

So many questions to answer. At first glance Richtofen is the protagonist and Monty is the antagonist, but is that truly the case? I will edit/remove parts that are  unanswerd or don't make sense.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice thread mate. There are a few things to take note however.

It's not so much Monty's relationship with Richtofen that's imperative, but rather his relationship with Maxis.

From the ZNS ciphers and radios, we learn that Monty visited Maxis after all hell broke loose and Maxis lost everything. Maxis said that after he (Monty) came, both Samantha and Edward were returned to him, and this prompted Maxis to accept Monty's offer.

From there on out,  it has always been Maxis that channeled Monty's orders through to Richtofen.  

So Monty is using Maxis as a medium to get his own plan across to Richtofen, without Richtofen being aware of this.

ZNS also tells us that after some time, Maxis started to get the feeling that Monty was withholding information from him. And in his final radio message, after reminding Richtofen of his vow to him, he apologizes for having withheld certain truths from him. 

I think that Maxis found out something about Monty that he shouldn't have. It's also pretty alarming we haven't heard anything from Maxis since.

Lastly I don't think Richtofen knows that this whole plan was orchestrated by Monty to begin with. After all, at the end of the cutscene he says: "The souls have been collected Maxis. We will see you soon." 

And Monty definitely wants to make sure Richtofen doesn't know of his involvement, since he announces his identity only after the cutscene, and only to Takeo, Nikolai and Dempsey. 

Looks like we were onto something regarding the insurance policy mentioned at the end on ZnS, which pairs well with the dialogue from the Richtofen memories trailer:

I figured that Richtofen had this plan in case he was fearing that he'd be betrayed at some point. But I was definitely wrong about "M" being one of the heroes. Now that it's fairly safe to assume he is Monty, I'd wager he's more foe than friend and that Richtofen supposes as much. I'm also even more convinced the extra blood vials are from our previous crews, including the Tranzit group. Given the ties they will have in the upcoming comic, and they theory that the blood sequence for one of the ciphers that it's the initials of those 4. And i also feel there's a greater chance we will absolutely see the insurance policy after hearing from Monty. He just seems far too sinister. 

Side note. I find it ironic that only Richtofen doesn't hear him. Whereas in Bo2, only Stuglinger can hear Richtofen 1.0. Don't think there's any ties there, just an interesting parallel is all. 

I don't think Richtofen being in the house the whole time is metaphorical. Remember Eddy and Samantha?

There's one version of each character that lives but the rest must die. What if Richtofen is not the RIGHT Richtofen? But rather it is Eddy? And Richtofen will sacrifice himself by the time we are done.

Also, the reference to Richtofen's journeys in other dimensions really makes me think that there a dozens of versions of our main characters, like the ones who died on the Moon. I think this will be the plot of the comic (although long after that, perhaps after Buried and linking that story to Origins).

Archived