Call of Duty Zombies Comic Announced

So, in the stream they announced there would be a CoD Zombies comic series coming out. There'll be 6 issues in total with the first releasing October 19 2016.

The first issue's description according to an Activision blog post:

On his quest to secure an ancient artifact known as The Kronorium, Doctor Edward Richtofen enlists the help of The Tranzit Crew, a rag tag group of survivors last seen in the Black Ops II Zombies installment Buried. On a deeply unstable and fractured future Earth, Stuhlinger, Misty, Russman, and Marlton battle for survival against the undead horde, as they slowly uncover the truth behind Richtofen’s mysterious reappearance. The Call of Duty: Zombies miniseries follows these characters’ perilous journey of discovery, filling in crucial pieces of the larger Zombies Story.

https://blog.activision.com/t5/Call-of-Duty/Call-of-Duty-Returns-to-San-Diego-Comic-Con/ba-p/9970440

According to Jason Blundell, he is using the comic platform to live up to his promise that there is no such thing as a "one-off map" and the comic may "possibly set us up for the future."

Jason Blundell and Craig Houston will be at San Diego Comic-con to sign copies, and talk about the series.

This has me very excited. We've been asking for a comic series for years, and finally Treyarch have listened. Hopefully this resolves some plot threads that never had any resolution (Broken Arrow, The Flesh etc.)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

What's so exciting about the comic book is that he explicitly said it was created because there's just too much story to push through the game. For us story guys, this is beautiful news. Boy will I be shelling out some cash for this haha.

• Moderators

Since the first comic is filling in the loose thread after Buried, I'm hoping they may also fill in gaps such as between Origins and The Giant, since apparently Dempsey, Nikolai, and Takeo were roaming universes for years trying to set things right, going to Brazil, the Moon, etc. Also if it is not covered by DLC 4, I'd like to see where the crew goes at the end of the ZNS easter egg through the portal to get the vials.

I also really hope this is successful, because that could mean more series afterwards to fill the time until 2018 when Treyarch's next game comes out, if the story is even related to this one.

22 minutes ago, Rissole25 said:

Looks like the whole mini-series will follow them judging by the last line.

Oh, I didn't really notice that line. Yeah, looks like the whole series will be following the N4. They must've gotten up to a lot after Buried though, if that's the case.

I'm excited about filling gaps in the story, but the date worries me. October 19th for just the first issue? This throw my whole story line videos timeline into chaos. I was hoping to have the series done by the end of the year, shortly after the next Call of Duty game comes out. Now unfortunately I'll have to wait until this comic is done, because of course I need to know what info the comic has.

Anyone here comic fans? How long is it between issues, usually? Are they going to release an issue a week? Two weeks? A month? Two months? Also, is there anything known as to whether it'd be an online comic like Mortal Kombat, or an actual physical comic? It is an importance difference because an online comic is typically significantly cheaper from my understanding.

Although, the "set us up for the future" bit only exacerbates an existing worry I have that there will be no conclusion for zombies in Black Ops III and only a cliffhanger for Black Ops IV...

I also wonder how stringent Activision is going to be, regarding scans of the comic pages that could potentially lower their sales figures.

8 minutes ago, MysteryMachineX said:

Anyone here comic fans? How long is it between issues, usually? Are they going to release an issue a week? Two weeks? A month? Two months? Also, is there anything known as to whether it'd be an online comic like Mortal Kombat, or an actual physical comic? It is an importance difference because an online comic is typically significantly cheaper from my understanding.

Each comic series is different but I would say an issue every month is pretty normal from what i've dealt wtih, but theres no way to be sure until we have the details. They said they were doing signings at Comic Con (i think) so it's a physical comic definitely and most comics do digital versions now which are almost always cheaper.

2 hours ago, Your Dearest Sailor said:

Each comic series is different but I would say an issue every month is pretty normal from what i've dealt wtih, but theres no way to be sure until we have the details. They said they were doing signings at Comic Con (i think) so it's a physical comic definitely and most comics do digital versions now which are almost always cheaper.

I really hope they'll be selling PDF's as well, because ordering something physical from America is expensive as hell.

5 hours ago, MysteryMachineX said:

The standard in the industry is for one issue to release per month, so that's probably what we're looking at here.

Dark Horse Comics have a website that sells digital comics here. You'd probably be better off getting the physical copies since there is usually not much, if any of a difference in price compared to the digital version.

On 14 July 2016 at 10:24 AM, NaBrZHunter said:

Is the price on the promo image accurate? Only $3.99? If so, whoop!  I'm burned out on blowin hundreds.lol

Yep, most comics are priced that nowadays.

The October 2016 Dark Horse Comics Solicitations were just realeased. In it, we get another, slightly altered, however pretty important description the comic.

Call of Duty: Zombies #1 (of 6)
Justin Jordan (W), Jonathan Wayshak (A), and Simon Bisley (Cover)
On sale Oct 19
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Miniseries

"Waves of zombies just keep coming, first in the Call of Duty®: Zombies games, and now from Dark Horse Comics!
Join Stuhlinger, Misty, Russman, and Marlton as they fight for survival against the undead horde. The Tranzit crew, last seen in the "Buried" map, are trapped on a deeply unstable and fractured future Earth. The Call of Duty®: Zombies miniseries delves into these characters' backstories, providing a crucial piece of the Zombies puzzle. See what happens between the maps as the Tranzit crew fights to escape Maxis's apocalyptic wasteland. "

• The Call of Duty ®: Zombies comics show crucial, never-before-seen moments in the Zombies timeline!

• Covers by superstar artist Simon Bisley!

This is very, very interesting. First of all, the wording makes it seem like the Maxis ending of Black Ops 2 is canon. Or perhaps it's referring to the missiles that Maxis made the characters launch on Moon?

Looks like we'll be learning more about the TranZit crew, and what they got up to before the setting of the maps. I'm hoping this gives them character development, and resolves the plot threads of Broken Arrow and the Flesh.

The end of the description however, says "See what happens between the maps". Does this mean that this takes place between Die Rise and Buried. We see in the Buried intro that the characters do get up to a lot during that time frame. However, the original description does say the characters wonder about Richtofen's mysterious reappearance, so does that mean this is after Buried, and the Maxis ending is definitely canon? Very intriguing stuff here.

Good stuff @Spider3000. I definitely think this is referring to Maxis side being canon, so it's good to finally get confirmation.

Also it does like everyone's backstory is relevant. Russman at Broken Arrow, Samuel and the Flesh, Marlton and Nuketown, and Misty possibly being on the wall in Kino with Samantha and Emilia.

• 5 weeks later...

This is a story about multiple timelines and universes. The word canon has no place here whatsoever. It is NOT that they are making the Maxis ending "canon". They're simply making it the basis for the story. Just like Mob of the Dead had one ending (Cycle Continues) where nothing changes, and one (Cycle Is Broken) where everything ends. So too did Buried with Richtofen and Maxis.

Two timelines, where one resulted in the destruction of the universe. So I can't blame them for picking the more interesting one. And by Maxis's wasteland, it is probably referring to Maxis's ending, not his shooting the missiles. Really both Richtofen and Maxis were to blame for the state of the Earth. However, some of Maxis's radios depict him in a destroyed world. It is possible that there is a Maxis (from an alternate universe like the Giant) actually living there. Just an idea.

Archived