The Aetherial Multiverse Theory

AetherialVoices

The Aetherial Multiverse Theory

This is my theory on what Aether is and what the Multiverse (or Multiverses as stated by Blundell) is/are. I do not claim to know exactly what Treyarch intended as the "true" explanation for this. This is a just a theory. Before I get started I would highly recommend reading @NaBrZHunter's The Nature of Aether. It gives a very good explanation of what Aether is, especially in its relation to the "terrestrial" "plane" (I put these things in quotes because there are many different terms that describe these things). But I wanted to go a bit further with it and also try to find a somewhat realistic explanation for the multiverse.

My Interpretation of Aether:

The real world as we know it has three dimensions that we can observe, with us existing in the third. This is not talking about the horribly named "parallel dimension" which should be referred to as a "parallel universe". The first dimension only has one variable, so a line could exist, but nothing more. The second dimension has two variables, like an x and y axis on a grid. On this grid any two-dimensional shapes or patterns could exist. The third dimension has three variables. An x, y, and a z axis. this allows what we call three-dimensional or "real" shapes to exist.

I think that Aether is the theoretical fourth dimension which, in the scientific community's opinion, has the added variable of "time". This fourth dimension is just as incomprehensible to us as a "real" person is to a two-dimensional stick figure. Just as easily as we can walk from point a to point b, an entity can travel from point a to the point b of two years ago. For anyone who isn't quite grasping this concept, or would like an example I would recommend reading H.P. Lovecraft's The Dreams in the Witch House. Actually, I would recommend a lot more by Lovecraft, but this one can relate to this topic. In this short story/novella, the protagonist finds a room with strange and impossible geometry. In his studying it, he finds out (partially subconsciously) how to travel between the third dimension and the fourth.

How this can explain the Multiverse(s):

First, let's look back at @NaBrZHunter's diagram.

aether.png.jpeg

(This diagram was created before Agartha was revealed to be another name for the Aether)

In this diagram, it is showing two parallel, linear timelines. This is not necessarily the case. Although the timelines were at one point, they are no longer linear. This is going to be based off of one of the many interpretations of The Grandfather Paradox. This interpretation states that when someone or something travels through time (for this example, we will go with the simpler option of backwards), its very arrival is enough of a difference to "change" history. However, regardless of the amount or severity of the change, nothing changes. This event has fractured the timeline into two, and the original remains unchanged. This is how these "universes" are created. Trying to fix a fragmenting universe is nearly impossible, and would require strange and possibly mythological tactics to accomplish. The reason this is so difficult, is because every time you time-travel back to the original break in the timeline that all of the branches share, your very arrival is enough to fragment it once again. So each "tree" as I am going to call them has branches spreading from it and all of those branches can trace back to the original "trunk" of the tree, which is the original and linear timeline. So, back to the graph, picture the green "Earth" timeline fragmenting and splitting into a "timetree" (I'm gonna f@#$ing copyright that). Things become more complicated. The Aether is fairly unaffected by this, just like we are unaffected if a drawing on a piece of paper is torn up. The Aether quite possibly has an infinite amount of timelines and timetrees. Each timetree is a multiverse, and each branch is a universe. To travel between these universes is extremely difficult and is only possible by traveling through the Aether or an even higher dimension. Another thing that must be noted is the fact that despite the pasts/trunks of these timetrees are identical, they do in fact multiply.

Entities of the Fourth Dimension:

With the introduction of Dr Monty and the excerpts of the Kronorium that we have been given, it is becoming clear that this Universe was in fact created. But who or what made it? Dr Monty would like us to believe that he had a hand in this process, and I do believe that to be true. But what exactly is Dr Monty? As we know in our reality in the third dimension, an entity of a higher dimension can easily manipulate things of a lower dimension. But what evidence do we have to suggest that Monty is an entity of the fourth dimension?

We have Dr Monty's blueprint-like sheet of paper found on The Giant:

DrMonty.jpg

Now I will point out the things that are of particular interest for the topic at hand.

#1: The Tesseracts:

For those who don't know, a tesseract is the four dimensional analog of a cube. A tesseract is to a cube like a cube is to a square. Here are some examples of tesseracts for reference

Tesseract.gif8-cell.gif240px-Schlegel_wireframe_8-cell.png2000px-Tesseract_net.svg.png

#2: Wormhole Diagram:

This diagram was proposed as time moving not linearly, but rather with folds and loops, but not coming into contact with itself. However, the wormhole is a hole in the fabric of space-time and thus allows travel into the future or possibly even the past. This, in our Zombies storyline, would be traveling through the Aether/fourth dimension to another point in the third dimension that we know.

Why-We-Can-039-t-Travel-Back-in-Time-2.j

One fascinating design choice here is the use of the folded interpretation as opposed to this traditional multi-universe interpretation.

worm%20hole.jpg

I will come back to why this is the case in the next section.

Creation and the Origins of the Fracturing Universe:

As we now know, the zombies universe that we know and love was created by at least two or more entities (one of which is Monty). It is more than likely that these entities are just normal entities of the fourth dimension. These entities created pockets of the third dimension referred to simply as "dimensions", "universes", or the "dimensions of creation". We know that there are at least 63 of these dimensions (the 63rd being the realm of Shadows of Evil). Each universe is a "living, breathing thing... ever changing, ever shifting... existing across time and space itself". The universe that we know the most about was at one point a single, linear timeline and universe. So, what changed? Why are there now a million different versions of this universe? Monty clearly states in Revelations that it was the use of M.T.D.s, or teleporters, which split the timeline. They would teleport, but that in itself was enough to split the timeline, regardless of whether or not they time traveled. The first time they teleported, they split the timeline in two. Then those two continued to teleport, and the rate of multiplication just increased and increased. This would/will never end unless they find a way to stop it. Their attempt at stopping this was causing chain reactions across all of the multiverses that erased all other versions of themselves, and in the process eliminate Group 935.

Another thing that should be noted is the fact that this universe, even before it was shattered, is not the only one. As stated before, there are at least 63 of them. We know that there were many before the events we know of happened because it is stated in the Kronorium that "Once the great war ended with the defeat of the Apothicons, the Keepers ascended to become the wards of all universes".

Why Buried's Ending was so Significant:

In Black Ops II, we either end up giving "ultimate power" over the Aether to Maxis or Richtofen (or more likely both). But what is this "ultimate power"? Essentially, this is giving these people the omnipotence of an entity of the fourth dimension. This is the ultimate power granted to Richtofen and/or Maxis. They could only manipulate one universe at a time, but they could easily move on to another universe. This is why Maxis does not care in the least about destroying the earth as we know it in buried. If these events unfolded, which they almost definitely did, then we just might have two omnipotent and evil geniuses existing in the Aether. I don't think nothing will come of this in the end.

On to a Huge Debate in the Community... are these "1.0"'s the Original Versions?

Much like Schrödinger's cat, yes and no. If the original break in the timeline took place (chronologically speaking) after the date when we go back and kill them (which, thinking about it now, is impossible, however I will elaborate this hypothetical situation), then they would be the "original", but your arrival split the timeline, and you are now in a branch of the original trunk of the tree. So, yes and no. It is not like in the Multiverse theory, were there are infinite universes and nothing you do amounts to even a percentage of the entirety of the multiverse, let alone multiverses. There are finite branches, and the chaos of the fragmenting constantly increases. Once one idiot goes back in time, there are now two idiots going back in time. And so on and so forth.

The Dark Aether:

The Dark Aether is not the same Aether as the "Normal" or "Light" Aether that we normally think of. However, I believe them to be more or less identical. Nearly identical, yet almost polar opposites. Earlier in this topic, I talked about four different dimensions. However, there are more. There is a zeroth dimension (where only a dot can exist with no length, width, or depth) and negative dimensions that are a mirror of the "normal"/"positive"/"light" dimensions. There are two fully infinite Aethers, one Light, one Dark, one positive, one negative.

xPH17z5.jpg

This implies not only two Aethers, but two terrestrial planes/third dimensions. With the implication of the two being nearly identical, the positive one would be what we would call "normal", whereas the negative one would tend to be more corrupted, twisted, and distorted. This can be seen in the comparison between what "really happened" to the characters in Mob of the Dead and the unsettling cycle that we see unfold in-game. To pass between the positive and negative dimensions you must pass through each dimension in between, including the zeroth dimension. The only way to survive this process that we know of is the use of the Summoning Key, because of it's unique design and functionality of traversing dimensions. The Summoning Key also seems to be capable of taking this "dual cone" type layout and connecting it into more of a "disc"like layout, with the positive and negative dimensions actually coming into contact with one another, as seen in Revelations.

The Runes of Creation and their Connection to the Eye Colors and the Aether:

In Revelations we were given four "Runes of Creation" and their importance appears to be woefully overlooked. In many creation myths, the use of symbolic elements (typically water, fire, wind, and earth) in the shaping of creation are quite prevalent. Now we see these "elements", Shadow, Light, Fire, and Electricity being used in Zombies cannon. We can clearly see the two sides of the Aether in the skybox of Revelations, with the blue and red sides. However, these are not the Light and Dark Aethers. Both the Light and Dark Aethers share these red and blue elemental energies. However, they both have a unique energy of their own. The Dark Aether has the "Shadow Energy" (Purple), and the Light Aether has the "Light Energy" (Green). The direct influence of Light and Shadow energy is quite rare, however the use of the other two aetherial energies is quite common.

Anyway, thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed, and share your thoughts on this theory.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great read!  Not exactly sure is I understood half of it, but this is very interesting.  No matter how Richtofen tries to change the future, the original universe remains unchanged.  This means that they are hoping to find a universe in which there is no chaos, because returning to the Original Timeline is near impossible.  I wonder where the acient evil comes into play.  Surely there has got to be a way to "Make Things Right" and "Create A Better Future For The Children".

My theory, goes back to a great B-Movie series and mythology.  The Djinn!

It walks the spaces between the universes.  It could be the Ancient Evil and the only deity that can manage this travel.

An interesting note from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinn

In the Guanche mythology[edit]

In Guanche mythology from Tenerife in the Canary Islands, there existed the belief in beings that are similar to genies,[43]such as the maxios or dioses paredros ('attendant gods', domestic and nature spirits) and tibicenas (evil genies), as well as the demon Guayota (aboriginal god of evil) that, like the Arabic Iblīs, is sometimes identified with a genie.[44] The Guanches were of Berber origin in North Africa.

Does anyone else see a link to Maxis?  Just a thought!

• Administrators

Very interesting thoughts! I love threads like this, so kudos for putting the brainpower into it.

A couple notes, however, that I am skeptical about:

1) you referred to time travel and the Grandfather paradox; however, the area of backwards time travel is a hazy area in the zombies lore. Forward time travel is a known canon; however, the canon instances in which unquestionable backwards time travel is used are the following:

Shangri-La: The Easter Egg 

Der Eisendrache: Gersch and the Safe

Both follow the same rules, however. There is a limit to the amount of time you have to be in the past before you ejected and returned to your existing present. These would seem to dictate that it is not possible to travel backwards in time for a significant amount of time. However, there is a problem with that, both only due to seeming continuity errors.

• Kino Der Toten is dated between 1968-1969 due to the presence of the Berliner Fernsehturm, as seen from the alleyway. Potential continuity error, of which Kino Der Toten has many to begin with, considering it was a WAW map and developed before the team was well aware of where the story was going.
  • Ascension, which chronologically should follow Kino is dated in 1963, 5-6 years prior, due to it being simultaneous with Five, which takes place in 1963 as well based on 1) a flight schedule with an undocumented flight in the last quarter of 1963, and 2) the fact that Kennedy was assassinated in November of that year. Again, likely a continuity error, and one that could be resolved with the removal of the Berliner Fernsehturm from Kino.

So, if that error were to be resolved, that would be something we could begin to narrow down and isolate as a canonical rule of the zombies multiverse. 

It is, however, irrelevant in the case of the Origins4's current mission, considering they actually travelled forward in time from 1918 to our present time (as of Der Eisendrache, 1945). 

2) Schrodinger's Cat was well-defined; but it depends, because the O4 as we know them from SNN-Moon were on the timeline that would have proceeded from after the execution of protocol 935, and therefore, would be a later version of the characters we are currently killing off. In this current timeline, Protocol 935 was interrupted shortly after it was enacted, presumably literally days before SNN as we know it and the introduction of the true O4 would have occurred. So perhaps I am not skeptical about this, as you put it very well, but rather just wanted to clarify in saying that both the WAW team and the BO3 test subjects are potentially offshoots of the characters described in the CotD radios.

Thanks for the kind comments regarding my article - I need to go in and make it current, as I wrote it and created the diagram before the Multiverse became fully canon (dangit. lol).

6 hours ago, NaBrZHunter said:

In this current timeline, Protocol 935 was interrupted shortly after it was enacted, presumably literally days before SNN as we know it and the introduction of the true O4 would have occurred. So perhaps I am not skeptical about this, as you put it very well, but rather just wanted to clarify in saying that both the WAW team and the BO3 test subjects are potentially offshoots of the characters described in the CotD radios.

On that topic, Security Protocol 935 was first mentioned in a Moon radio, I believe. In that radio, a conversation occurs between Richtofen and Groph. This conversation ends with Richtofen saying "I will dispose of Dr. Maxis and that little brat personally." This implies that his betrayal of Dr. Maxis had not occurred yet. In Der Eisendrache, we hear this same conversation, but now with the Origins Richtofen. This new conversation ends with Richtofen saying "Uh, no no... Maxis and his daughter have already been dealt with." Sure, this could be passed off as a continuity error, but with the amount of deliberation that seems to be there, specifically in Blundell, in explaining the many continuity errors, I find this unlikely. This could also be used as evidence for The Giant's opening cutscene taking place in another universe than the actual map happens in.

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, AetherialVoices said:

On that topic, Security Protocol 935 was first mentioned in a Moon radio, I believe. In that radio, a conversation occurs between Richtofen and Groph. This conversation ends with Richtofen saying "I will dispose of Dr. Maxis and that little brat personally." This implies that his betrayal of Dr. Maxis had not occurred yet. In Der Eisendrache, we hear this same conversation, but now with the Origins Richtofen. This new conversation ends with Richtofen saying "Uh, no no... Maxis and his daughter have already been dealt with." Sure, this could be passed off as a continuity error, but with the amount of deliberation that seems to be there, specifically in Blundell, in explaining the many continuity errors, I find this unlikely. This could also be used as evidence for The Giant's opening cutscene taking place in another universe than the actual map happens in.

True. It is strange for sure, the continuity; but it wouldn't be the first time DE had such an error. However, remember that things happened differently in this universe to begin with. In the original, Richtofen waited until he was aware that the MPD was ready to execute Protocol 935, after which, Samantha arrived on the moon. In the new universe, it appears that he proceeded before Groph had informed him, which actually reflects a theory I had from awhile back that the catalyst of the splitting universes was Protocol 935. In both the original and new Der Riese/Giant trailers, emphasis has been put on the clock. The clock seems to always freeze when Dr. Richtofen literally hits the button. 

Also, in this universe, after Protocol 935 has been executed, Samantha does not end up on the Moon as she did in the original.

People keep suggesting separate universes in BO3, but the progression is very clear. The Giant opens immediately after the events of the trailer, with the characters still in shock from what happened. Without a doubt, it is still the same universe.

53 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:People keep suggesting separate universes in BO3, but the progression is very clear. The Giant opens immediately after the events of the trailer, with the characters still in shock from what happened. Without a doubt, it is still the same universe.

The progression is quite clear, that is true. However, I would like to remind you of two things. Number one, Nikolai's radio in The Giant. In this radio he states that he has killed at least three Richtofens. Number two, Maxis' message to Richtofen "EDWARD AS YOU KNOW IT IS IMPERATIVE YOU AND THE GROUP FIND THE EXACT VERSIONS OF YOURSELVES THAT I HAVE HIGHLIGHTED IN EACH UNIVERSE ONLY BY KILLING THAT VERSION OF YOURSELF IN THAT PARTICULAR UNIVERSE AT THAT PARTICULAR MOMENT IN TIME WILL WE BE SUCCESSFUL ONCE EACH OF YOUR OTHER SELVES ARE KILLED ACROSS ALL UNIVERSES ". I would like to know your thoughts on this without the implication of switching universes.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, AetherialVoices said:

The progression is quite clear, that is true. However, I would like to remind you of two things. Number one, Nikolai's radio in The Giant. In this radio he states that he has killed at least three Richtofens. Number two, Maxis' message to Richtofen "EDWARD AS YOU KNOW IT IS IMPERATIVE YOU AND THE GROUP FIND THE EXACT VERSIONS OF YOURSELVES THAT I HAVE HIGHLIGHTED IN EACH UNIVERSE ONLY BY KILLING THAT VERSION OF YOURSELF IN THAT PARTICULAR UNIVERSE AT THAT PARTICULAR MOMENT IN TIME WILL WE BE SUCCESSFUL ONCE EACH OF YOUR OTHER SELVES ARE KILLED ACROSS ALL UNIVERSES ". I would like to know your thoughts on this without the implication of switching universes.

Well, the thing about the Giant radios is 1) based on that cipher, there is only one set of "Origins" characters, and we are them, the ones to who those radios are addressed. 2) Additionally, the Nikolai who recorded the message sounds unstable and kinda goofy while the Dempsey says plainly "HEY! OTHER ME!" not "hey! Me!" or "hey, younger me!" or even, "hey! Dempsey!" He sounds more reckless and classic than our current Dempsey. Much like the voices we hear from him in the "Ripping Spacetime" radio and the CotD EE. Takeo is the same as always, but Origins Takeo isn't necessarily the only one with foreboding dreams, especially considering the bleedover of knowledge and demeanor that occurs between parallel versions of people in the multiverse. My strong belief is that the Giant radios are from the Original 4, and definitely  not the origins 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, anonymous said:

And what about the Rift?  The Rift is a gateway from Earth to Agartha. If Agartha is a physical 3D place, it could be that the Rift is a wormhole.

Actually, I just thought of something. So when we travel through the Aether via teleporters and such, we see blue and electricity. When we travel through the Rift, we see red and orange. Seeing as though the Rift is used primarily in association with Apothicon artifacts, perhaps these are representative of the Light and Dark Aethers.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, AetherialVoices said:

Actually, I just thought of something. So when we travel through the Aether via teleporters and such, we see blue and electricity. When we travel through the Rift, we see red and orange. Seeing as though the Rift is used primarily in association with Apothicon artifacts, perhaps these are representative of the Light and Dark Aethers.

That would mean that you have to cross the Dark Aether to reach Agartha. And blue and orange, where do we also see those colours back...

• Moderators
6 hours ago, AetherialVoices said:

You lost me there. What are you referring to there?

To reach Agartha, you go though the Rift, and following what you said, that is located in the Dark Aether. And I referee to the zombie eye and pylon orb colours. Blue for Richthofen and Orange for Maxis

15 minutes ago, anonymous said:

To reach Agartha, you go though the Rift, and following what you said, that is located in the Dark Aether. And I referee to the zombie eye and pylon orb colours. Blue for Richthofen and Orange for Maxis

Although it is possible, I personally do not think there is a connection there. And is your evidence to back up reaching Agartha through the Rift based off of the Maxis orange or something else?

• Moderators
16 hours ago, AetherialVoices said:

Although it is possible, I personally do not think there is a connection there. And is your evidence to back up reaching Agartha through the Rift based off of the Maxis orange or something else?

No, in Black Ops 2 it is said by Richthofen that the Rift is a gateway to the Agartha. And that manipulating the Aether is the easiest near the Rift

• Moderators

"The process has begun! Now I control the aether energy! I can, at last, reach Agartha!" "Once the gateway is open, I will finally be reunited with my dearest Samantha!"  This says Maxis at the end of Buried, showing that the Rift is a gateway to Agartha. Or at least, thats what I think he means with it. The Richthofen quote I cant find, but I thought he said that. I keep searching

7 minutes ago, anonymous said:

"The process has begun! Now I control the aether energy! I can, at last, reach Agartha!" "Once the gateway is open, I will finally be reunited with my dearest Samantha!"  This says Maxis at the end of Buried, showing that the Rift is a gateway to Agartha. Or at least, thats what I think he means with it. The Richthofen quote I cant find, but I thought he said that. I keep searching

Yes, I am familiar with that Maxis quote, but I was wanting to know about the Richtofen quote you mentioned. I have been looking into the Black Ops 2 story recently, and as far as I can tell, there was no mention of Agartha until Buried. There was barely any mention of even Samantha! I think that Blundell might have had a hand in adding these things in because at the point of Buried it was already established that he would be taking over. Also, I don't believe that there is really a proper "Rift" as a place, but rather it is a term for a wormhole/rift through the Dark Aether as opposed to the Light Aether. But, I could be wrong.

20 minutes ago, anonymous said:

That was what I tried to say. That if the Rift goes though the Dark Aether, so if you go to Agartha via the Rift, that you go thought the creepy dark Aether.

I don't believe there is all too much of a physical difference between the two. Regardless of "Light" or "Dark", they are still both Aether. You can go to the store on the freeway, or you could drive through the sketchy neighborhood. Regardless of which you choose, both will get you there. They are both still roads. We will know more when DLC4 comes out, and we learn more from the Kronorium.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived