The Ancient Trials 2017 Tournament

InfestLithium

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol agreed I don't mind splitting the win. Also I'm way to excited about this month I hope I don't halfto waiting until next Sunday to get the challenge! Lol

For whatever the Olympics is, We will need more than a week to do it. Previous winners need to see the post and everyone is on vacation. I really want more than 2 or 3 competitors (even though that would prolly guarantee I lose lol). It would be more fun with more of the monthly winners participating. 

• Administrators

The end has come.

3624b34d4cf47d7aa9e4f2b760f3f79d.png

The final challenge of this year's Ancient Trials 2017 Tournament has yielded in interesting not 1, but 2 split winners for the month of August. Congratulations @andydabeast and @sushine1 for sharing the dual-crown this month! Normally a split decision would result in some form of tie-breaker; however, with the ZWC fast approaching in a few days, there is not enough room for a separate challenge or exact formula to consider a breaker.

With that being said, the end of the Ancient Trials for the year has yielded a mighty list of official Olympics contestants in our Champion pool. The current Champions-To-Be are:

This means we had a total of 6 contestants in our Champion Pool, and two more available slots...this means an upcoming Wildcard mini-bracket to determine which two lucky yet unfortunate souls have a chance to compete among the best of the best. We're be plucking them out of their respective dimensions very soon.

Now, let's move on to what you've all been waiting for...

2zz6sr8.jpg

Welcome, one and all, to the 2017 Call of Duty Zombies 2nd Annual tournament, the "Zombies Olympics"! The Z-Olympics (as we just normally call it around here) is an annual event where slayers from all regions of the world come to compete online in extremely difficult yet innovative challenges set forth by the Overlords and Controllers of the multiverse to determine who among them will earn the title of Champion against the others. The official tournament lasts for 3 weeks, and will test all your slaying abilities throughout several Zombies maps. Oh, did we mention there is a grand prize for each Champion?

How to Enter

The Z-Olympics contains two competition pools - the Champion and the Slayer pool. The Champion pool consists solely of past Champions from the Ancient Trials tournament and potentially a few wild cards. These players have earned their spot through 6-7 months of antagonizing torture from the Overlords with very specific challenges, allowing them to enter the highest ranks possible for a larger prize. 3 of the most difficult challenges possible will determine the winner.

The Slayer pool is available to all of the public, and requires no barrier to entry other than the ability to record gameplay. Players will compete against everyone for the best score in each challenge using our previous scoring system in the Ancient Trials tournaments. Unlike the Champion pool, there is no contestant limit, so it's a free-for-all kind of madness. Like the Champion pool, however, 3 challenges will determine the winner. 

Game Requirements

In order to successfully compete in the Z-Olympics, players must have each of the following items:

• Xbox One / Playstation 4 / PC
  • Black Ops 3 - all DLCs including Zombies Chronicles
  • Gameplay recording equipment (such as an Elgato, capture device, Twitch stream recording, Game DVR, etc)
  • Twitch or YouTube account to upload gameplay videos on
  • At least 1-2 hours of free time in a given week to perform each challenge
  • A working email to contact players by for results, important updates, and more

Failure to have any of these items will result in scores not being counted in the tournament.

The Point System

For those unfamiliar with the Ancient Trials, we used a direct approach to scoring each players using ranking points. The first place score would receive a score of 4 points, second highest 3 points, third highest 2 points, etc etc. In the Slayer pool, the points will instead range up to a maximum of 5. It is highly possible to receive a score of 0 if a player fails to be in the Top 5 of a given challenge. In the Champion pool, the maximum points given will be 3 per challenge since the number of players is significantly smaller.

At the end of each challenge, our Z-Olympics committee will determine who has what rank at each segment of the tournament and post it on this site. Each contestant who signs up for the tournament will also receive an email blast from us highlighting the scores, just in case we have slayers constantly on the move.

Prizes and Rewards

This information will be coming on Monday August 20th, 2017. Stay tuned - there will be Divinium involved as well as cash prizes.

Rules and Guidelines

Each tournament and challenge we offer contains special rules that must be abided by. Failure to comply with the rules will determine in your score being voided and possible permanent banning from the Z-Olympics all-together. We don't have many rules (because we have a lot of faith in our players), but please carefully read the following guidelines:

• Each player must show the leaderboard pop-up screen at the beginning of each challenge. This is an important verification step. Failure to do so will result in your submission not being recorded.
  • Only 1 submission video per challenge is allowed. We do not accept duplicates, regardless if the score changes.
  • Cheating in the form of performing glitches is prohibited in all challenges.
  • The use of non-Classic Gobblegums is not allowed unless specified otherwise.
  • All video segments must one continuous length. This means no split-recordings are allowed.
  • Your gameplay cannot be substituted by another player.
  • Pausing in your video is allowed, but must remain in a continuous recording.

Registration Information

Due to our association with the Zombies World Championship, the exact date of registration is TBA. We are projecting for the information to come online beginning on Monday August 20th, 2017. All players will be required to complete a Google Form that will give them entry to the competition. Please be consistently checking your emails once you register so you don't miss any deadlines or important info.

May the best slayers of this realm survive.

hi, sorry about that but i'm still in the army so i'm not sure if i can have the time to do it (i finish it the 6 january by the way), and i don't have the chronicle dlc so i cannot participate anyway^^ so good luck for this year tournament and i will be back when i can ! 

good luck to all the players !

• Administrators

hi, sorry about that but i'm still in the army so i'm not sure if i can have the time to do it (i finish it the 6 january by the way), and i don't have the chronicle dlc so i cannot participate anyway^^ so good luck for this year tournament and i will be back when i can ! 

good luck to all the players !

Now if that ain't a stab in the heart...thank you for letting us know, friendo! I wish you the best of luck in the army and hope for safe travels! :smile:

@InfestLithium I'm in it.... but it would be nice to have a longer time frame seeing I'm moving in 2 weeks. But between the relocation process and getting my internet reconnected, only 1 week to submit doesnt seem likely especially with my daughter starting school. Two weeks per challenge I could manage.... 

I have the time but I want everyone else to have the time too. I second this.

@InfestLithium I'm in it.... but it would be nice to have a longer time frame seeing I'm moving in 2 weeks. But between the relocation process and getting my internet reconnected, only 1 week to submit doesnt seem likely especially with my daughter starting school. Two weeks per challenge I could manage.... 

I agree I want everyone whose participating to have plenty of time to do the challenge. So increasing the time frame is good with me!

The end has come.

3624b34d4cf47d7aa9e4f2b760f3f79d.png

The final challenge of this year's Ancient Trials 2017 Tournament has yielded in interesting not 1, but 2 split winners for the month of August. Congratulations @andydabeast and @sushine1 for sharing the dual-crown this month! Normally a split decision would result in some form of tie-breaker; however, with the ZWC fast approaching in a few days, there is not enough room for a separate challenge or exact formula to consider a breaker.

With that being said, the end of the Ancient Trials for the year has yielded a mighty list of official Olympics contestants in our Champion pool. The current Champions-To-Be are:

This means we had a total of 6 contestants in our Champion Pool, and two more available slots...this means an upcoming Wildcard mini-bracket to determine which two lucky yet unfortunate souls have a chance to compete among the best of the best. We're be plucking them out of their respective dimensions very soon.

Now, let's move on to what you've all been waiting for...

2zz6sr8.jpg

Welcome, one and all, to the 2017 Call of Duty Zombies 2nd Annual tournament, the "Zombies Olympics"! The Z-Olympics (as we just normally call it around here) is an annual event where slayers from all regions of the world come to compete online in extremely difficult yet innovative challenges set forth by the Overlords and Controllers of the multiverse to determine who among them will earn the title of Champion against the others. The official tournament lasts for 3 weeks, and will test all your slaying abilities throughout several Zombies maps. Oh, did we mention there is a grand prize for each Champion?

How to Enter

The Z-Olympics contains two competition pools - the Champion and the Slayer pool. The Champion pool consists solely of past Champions from the Ancient Trials tournament and potentially a few wild cards. These players have earned their spot through 6-7 months of antagonizing torture from the Overlords with very specific challenges, allowing them to enter the highest ranks possible for a larger prize. 3 of the most difficult challenges possible will determine the winner.

The Slayer pool is available to all of the public, and requires no barrier to entry other than the ability to record gameplay. Players will compete against everyone for the best score in each challenge using our previous scoring system in the Ancient Trials tournaments. Unlike the Champion pool, there is no contestant limit, so it's a free-for-all kind of madness. Like the Champion pool, however, 3 challenges will determine the winner. 

Game Requirements

In order to successfully compete in the Z-Olympics, players must have each of the following items:

• Xbox One / Playstation 4 / PC
  • Black Ops 3 - all DLCs including Zombies Chronicles
  • Gameplay recording equipment (such as an Elgato, capture device, Twitch stream recording, Game DVR, etc)
  • Twitch or YouTube account to upload gameplay videos on
  • At least 1-2 hours of free time in a given week to perform each challenge
  • A working email to contact players by for results, important updates, and more

Failure to have any of these items will result in scores not being counted in the tournament.

The Point System

For those unfamiliar with the Ancient Trials, we used a direct approach to scoring each players using ranking points. The first place score would receive a score of 4 points, second highest 3 points, third highest 2 points, etc etc. In the Slayer pool, the points will instead range up to a maximum of 5. It is highly possible to receive a score of 0 if a player fails to be in the Top 5 of a given challenge. In the Champion pool, the maximum points given will be 3 per challenge since the number of players is significantly smaller.

At the end of each challenge, our Z-Olympics committee will determine who has what rank at each segment of the tournament and post it on this site. Each contestant who signs up for the tournament will also receive an email blast from us highlighting the scores, just in case we have slayers constantly on the move.

Prizes and Rewards

This information will be coming on Monday August 20th, 2017. Stay tuned - there will be Divinium involved as well as cash prizes.

Rules and Guidelines

Each tournament and challenge we offer contains special rules that must be abided by. Failure to comply with the rules will determine in your score being voided and possible permanent banning from the Z-Olympics all-together. We don't have many rules (because we have a lot of faith in our players), but please carefully read the following guidelines:

• Each player must show the leaderboard pop-up screen at the beginning of each challenge. This is an important verification step. Failure to do so will result in your submission not being recorded.
  • Only 1 submission video per challenge is allowed. We do not accept duplicates, regardless if the score changes.
  • Cheating in the form of performing glitches is prohibited in all challenges.
  • The use of non-Classic Gobblegums is not allowed unless specified otherwise.
  • All video segments must one continuous length. This means no split-recordings are allowed.
  • Your gameplay cannot be substituted by another player.
  • Pausing in your video is allowed, but must remain in a continuous recording.

Registration Information

Due to our association with the Zombies World Championship, the exact date of registration is TBA. We are projecting for the information to come online beginning on Monday August 20th, 2017. All players will be required to complete a Google Form that will give them entry to the competition. Please be consistently checking your emails once you register so you don't miss any deadlines or important info.

May the best slayers of this realm survive.

IMG_3567.JPG

• Administrators

Were you involved in the ZWC or attend or something? I am still making my way through the stream. In-laws were visiting over the weekend -_-

Yes! We were involved in the fan experience and even overlay graphics. Also provided the Mystery Box loot crates as well as the Staff of Ice prop. Had been working on everything since July 5th, hence my busy-ness. :sweat_smile:

• 2 months later...

I know it is early to talk about, but I want to discuss the 2018 season of challenges. 

1. Is there interest? 

We need more people to participate to make it fun. I thought that giving two weeks in the ZO would help with giving people time to compete but it did not seem to work besides the first challenge. Any ideas? Who would compete?

The second answer to this question is on the Admin side. Would you guys host again?

2. What game??

It seems like WWII would be great for challenges. I have never played IW zombies so cannot speak for that. We have played a lot of black ops 3. I don't think we should repeat any challenges exactly. We never used BO2 because of some Playstation issue I never understood. Regardless I think that before the challenges start, it should be chosen what game will be used per month. If multiple games are used, it should be consistent for an entire month.

3. Schedule?
Admin should publish an outline schedule before the challenges start. What I mean by that is set start and end dates, and what game will be used for each month. That way people will know ahead of time but the specific challenges don't need to be thought up till that week. For example, if January is WWII and February is IW, and I don't own IW, I have some time to decide if I want to sit Feb out or save up to buy it.

4. Rules in WWII

I think we should include the score at the end of our recordings to use kills as a tie-breaker, and head-shots as a tiebreaker for that.

There are a lot of ways to customize WWII so we will need to lock it down for challenges. I think a blanket rule of no consumables ever and a default loadout should be required for us to use. Also it would need to be specified if we can use the special or not for each challenge. As for the house map I am not sure if we can use it because it requires EE completion. We could do some fun things with prologue though. 

Challenge ideas??
Prologue bare hands- once in the house the only purchase allowed is the MP-40. No free-fire special. 

Brenner Race- everything in the main map allowed (besides the blanket no consumables, and starting default loadout) and quickest time to pick up a Brenner Head wins. Timer starts upon spawn and ends when the Brenner head is in the players hands.

No Power- everything in the main map allowed besides turning on the generator. 

No-club club- No explosives or tesla gun allowed, killing a club zombie is not allowed. (not sure if this would work but would make for some very funny gameplays)

I like what @andydabeast is saying. Also WWII would be great for one of a kind challenges.

If I may add a couple things to this.

One I feel on some maps completing the Easter egg as a challenge would be okay. Maybe deer eisendrache that is an easy Easter egg. On the same hand some people do not like doing them so why not have this be like an "extra points" challenge or for fun.

2. Maybe co-op zombies? Working as a team or going against each 

other could be fun!

3. Once a month an admin should come up with the hardest challenge that is still accomplishable but very difficult! Could be fun and interesting to see what everyone else's tactics are! 

Just some ideas I have. I will say that this whole year for the ancient trials and zombie Olympics have been a blast and everyone did an excellent job! Can't wait for what happens next year! 

• Administrators

Loving these suggestions, friendos! It's never too early to begin looking at next year's Ancient Trials.

I believe there IS still interest in competitive Zombies; however, I feel that it's much easier to register and never compete than to hold onto contestants. Several factors play a part here, but I too thought that mashing out a max 3 hour game in 2 weeks wouldn't be that insane...of course, it just shows that the challenges should be even more difficult yet easy to understand.

The 1st year, we had a small Olympics team that consisted of myself and another CoDz member, then added on two others who volunteered. This year, I felt it was cool having a collaboration of @RequixEclipse and then you awesome slayers willing to take the mantle here and there to keep things streamlined. This next year, I want to open up the Ancient Trials Committee similarly and if a contestant happens to be helping out, they'll just have to postpone their Committee duty during one of their challenges to ensure there's no foul play. The foundation is virtually the same.

WWII will 100% be in this coming tournament. Scheduling will also be posted the initial month in advance. Our idea will be to have a pattern (3ARC - IW - SH - 3ARC - IW - SH) where each month is using that dev's most co-current title. In this case, we will be seeing BO3/IW/WWII. By the time the next Treyarch title releases, not only with the AT 2018 be done but the 2018 Zombies Olympics as well.

There is a minor glitch in that CoDz will be involved in the ZWC once more, but those details are yet to be finalized and my current concern is potential conflict with dates and engagements. As such, we'll probably delegate a non-staff member (or if one, that is the most active and not involved with ZWC) to lead the Committee.

9 hours ago, sushine1 said:

I like what @andydabeast is saying. Also WWII would be great for one of a kind challenges.

If I may add a couple things to this.

One I feel on some maps completing the Easter egg as a challenge would be okay. Maybe deer eisendrache that is an easy Easter egg. On the same hand some people do not like doing them so why not have this be like an "extra points" challenge or for fun.

2. Maybe co-op zombies? Working as a team or going against each 

other could be fun!

3. Once a month an admin should come up with the hardest challenge that is still accomplishable but very difficult! Could be fun and interesting to see what everyone else's tactics are! 

Just some ideas I have. I will say that this whole year for the ancient trials and zombie Olympics have been a blast and everyone did an excellent job! Can't wait for what happens next year! 

Co-op does sound fun but it would have to be required that competitors pair with someone not competing. 
EE runs are long. I think the best challenges are ones where the person in first is under wave 20. Short, sweet, and difficult is what we need. 

4 hours ago, InfestLithium said:

Loving these suggestions, friendos! It's never too early to begin looking at next year's Ancient Trials.

I believe there IS still interest in competitive Zombies; however, I feel that it's much easier to register and never compete than to hold onto contestants. Several factors play a part here, but I too thought that mashing out a max 3 hour game in 2 weeks wouldn't be that insane...of course, it just shows that the challenges should be even more difficult yet easy to understand.

The 1st year, we had a small Olympics team that consisted of myself and another CoDz member, then added on two others who volunteered. This year, I felt it was cool having a collaboration of @RequixEclipse and then you awesome slayers willing to take the mantle here and there to keep things streamlined. This next year, I want to open up the Ancient Trials Committee similarly and if a contestant happens to be helping out, they'll just have to postpone their Committee duty during one of their challenges to ensure there's no foul play. The foundation is virtually the same.

WWII will 100% be in this coming tournament. Scheduling will also be posted the initial month in advance. Our idea will be to have a pattern (3ARC - IW - SH - 3ARC - IW - SH) where each month is using that dev's most co-current title. In this case, we will be seeing BO3/IW/WWII. By the time the next Treyarch title releases, not only with the AT 2018 be done but the 2018 Zombies Olympics as well.

There is a minor glitch in that CoDz will be involved in the ZWC once more, but those details are yet to be finalized and my current concern is potential conflict with dates and engagements. As such, we'll probably delegate a non-staff member (or if one, that is the most active and not involved with ZWC) to lead the Committee.

I love the rotation idea! It is difficult to avoid EE4C and ZWC which are both in the summer. I kinda wish they spread those out a little. Maybe a shorter season so our Olympics finish up before August? Not sure what the solution is. I think September is madness for lots of people. 

4 hours ago, andydabeast said:

Co-op does sound fun but it would have to be required that competitors pair with someone not competing. 
EE runs are long. I think the best challenges are ones where the person in first is under wave 20. Short, sweet, and difficult is what we need. 

I love the rotation idea! It is difficult to avoid EE4C and ZWC which are both in the summer. I kinda wish they spread those out a little. Maybe a shorter season so our Olympics finish up before August? Not sure what the solution is. I think September is madness for lots of people. 

@andydabeast I forgot that Easter eggs take to long haha and short sweet and difficult would be perfect. 

If we wanted to end before August we could do January to June the ancient trials and July be the actual Olympics? The only downside is it would make it so only 5 people are in the champion ship and 5 (I think) in the Slayer pool. I'm game for rotation also. I will gladly shoulder the weight so it's not on a couple people! (If I'm reading that correctly) lol

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators
On 4/24/2018 at 9:35 AM, Neanesis said:

hi, since the end of the army i didn't play a lot and didn't check the tournaments , but now if you create something again i will be part of it until the end this time <sodemoji.1f642></sodemoji.1f642>

Hey friendo - welcome back! So good to see you again! 

Right now, CoDz has been focusing on ZWC2 which just opened its tournament yesterday. I'd recommend jumping into it, since lots of new changes and a bigger prize pool got announced. 

3 hours ago, InfestLithium said:

Hey friendo - welcome back! So good to see you again! 

Right now, CoDz has been focusing on ZWC2 which just opened its tournament yesterday. I'd recommend jumping into it, since lots of new changes and a bigger prize pool got announced. 

Yes and because of Ancient Trials we've got a little bit better idea on how we can boost participation in ZWC and help with the details behind the scenes 

Archived