MAXIS is a liar

InfestLithium

• Administrators

Since Xbox One and PC finally received DLC 2 just last week, people have been able to reach into the files and extract audio. While I'm not a fan of file digging myself, the radios have all been discovered already; therefore, it's not really a problem to share the clearer quality versions of the radios in ZNS.

But we're not here to discuss the validity of digging through files - we're here finally confirm our suspicions of not-totally-honest-Maxis.

This is based out of @MrRoflWaffles's latest YouTube video including the radios with subtitles.

While all the radios are very intriguing and important, the most important ones are transcribed below:

"You swore a promise to me, Edward. It may have been a long time ago, but I'm sure you will not have forgotten. You swore to follow my instructions, comply with my every order. You swore to enact whatever plan I conveyed to you, all in the hope that we could overcome the chaos that we ourselves had created. You have kept your word. However much it pains my heart, I owe it to you to confess. I'm sorry Edward, I have withheld certain truths from you."

"He explained everything to me. He will explain everything to you. Though his very presence defied logic, defied reason, he told me that he would help. I could not refuse."

We know that the promise Edward made to Maxis was that he would do whatever it took - even killing versions of himself in different universes, alone - to restore balance to reality as they knew it. Although the rest of the crew were and still are very hesitant to listen to Maxis, Richtofen always ensured them that he knew what he was doing and to trust in him [Richtofen].

But now the tables look turned. Even as we gather the souls of each alternate respective character in their final moments for the Summoning Key, things are not quite adding up.

The first quote has me really drawn at "all in the hope that we could overcome the chaos". To me, that sounds like Maxis is implying that no one will survive after all of this. Even while Richtofen and the crew are attempting to rectify the mistakes they made in other universes, they themselves will not live to see the final result, if restoration even happens.

In the second quote, the mention of "he" occurs a lot. Looking ahead, many people have begun saying that it's Dr. Monty or the Shadow Man. Why? Because 1) Dr. Monty is a character that suddenly appeared out of nowhere in our story yet several allusions are made to him from character quotes and 2) Shadow Man because he himself defies logic as an apothicon creature, plus he has once tried to reassure us with sanctity and help [Shadows of Evil].

What do you think about this twist?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was two minds about who 'he' is. Just as you said, it is likely either Dr Monty or the Shadow Man. Personally, I have theorised that the Summoning Key is a gateway to Agartha, and that it deposits those who have been sucked into it into the aether/Agartha. 

Now if this were true, then it is likely that the Shadow Man is 'he'. Shadows of Evil shows that the Shadow Man is exceptional at deceiving and convincing people, so changing Maxis' mind would likely be easy for him. 

As for Dr Monty, I have somewhat changed my mind about him, considering the Summoning Key theory. What's more possible is that the Shadow Man himself is actually Dr Monty, but that's a bit of a stretch for now xD

• 2 weeks later...

i wouldnt say a liar but he is not telling us EVERYTHING. which obviously i am expecting the shadow man to have some play in that, however I cant say much obviously cause not a lot is known on shadow man other than he is a manipulator and destoryer

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Castun50 said:

i wouldnt say a liar but he is not telling us EVERYTHING. which obviously i am expecting the shadow man to have some play in that, however I cant say much obviously cause not a lot is known on shadow man other than he is a manipulator and destoryer

What gets me is that the Shadow man was annihilated just like the other 4 subjects in SoE. Why do we think he is in the Key, but the other 4 are not? Besides, the way Dempsey, Takeo and Richtofen's souls were preserved was NOT the way the characters in SoE were destroyed. In fact, it was the opposite, in SoE, the subject was suspended above the key and then ripped to shreds.  In the other instances, the Key rises above the subjects and absorbs their souls. I have a feeling we're making an assumption here, despite what Blundell said. He's been no so honest with us before AHEMDERRIESESERVERPASSWORDSAHEM.

• Moderators

I don't think its Monty or the Shadowman. Like you said, Monty is just a person who random appeared in the story. I think it would be strange someone like him, a gomball and perk inventor, knows all about the multiverse, Apothican and Keepers.

I think the Shadowman was no one more then a boss in SoE, and wont appear again. However, it could be a good change that "he" is another overlord.

• Administrators
On 6/6/2016 at 9:41 PM, NaBrZHunter said:

What gets me is that the Shadow man was annihilated just like the other 4 subjects in SoE. Why do we think he is in the Key, but the other 4 are not? Besides, the way Dempsey, Takeo and Richtofen's souls were preserved was NOT the way the characters in SoE were destroyed. In fact, it was the opposite, in SoE, the subject was suspended above the key and then ripped to shreds.  In the other instances, the Key rises above the subjects and absorbs their souls. I have a feeling we're making an assumption here, despite what Blundell said. He's been no so honest with us before AHEMDERRIESESERVERPASSWORDSAHEM.

That's what gets me too. In every case [regarding SoE], the individual was sacrificed for a gateworm. The only difference between them was that the Shadow Man is important, the Gateworm is massive, and it may be a more important ritual site/table. Not sure why any of those would result in him going into the Rift Stone while the others didn't, but it's all i can think of.

Couldn't the answer be as simple as, Richtofen simply absorbs them in a much more dignified manner? No different than how some people drive a car cautiously versus rear-ending people?

If that is the case, than the Summoning Key will then contain the souls of the Producer, Partner, Promoter, Lawyer, Shadowman, Dempsey, Nikolai, Takeo, and Richtofen.

You might think it is a weird combination. Why would they want that? I'd say they don't. It just happened. Richtofen wants the four souls; he's not concerned with which ones were already in there. Just an idea.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, MysteryMachineX said:

If that is the case, than the Summoning Key will then contain the souls of the Producer, Partner, Promoter, Lawyer, Shadowman, Dempsey, Nikolai, Takeo, and Richtofen.

It appears that a good portion of the community didn't hear the full interview hahah. I just went through and scripted the relevant section:

NoahJ456: I was thinking; obviously we’ve had our four characters that were kind of trapped in there throughout the events of Shadows of Evil, right?

*Jason Blundell nods and mhm’s throughout*

Jason Blundell: Well I mean, well it’s umm… you know when you finish Shadows of Evil and you you’ve obviously got the Shadow Man in there, and you’ve just got Dempsey in there (acknowledging NoahJ456 completing the Der Eisendrache easter egg).

They very clearly identified that this is the case.

[@NaBrZHunter #getinhere]

1 hour ago, Tac said:

It appears that a good portion of the community didn't hear the full interview hahah. I just went through and scripted the relevant section:

They very clearly identified that this is the case.

[@NaBrZHunter #getinhere]

I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand. I've heard nothing of an interview. Are you saying he says the the four characters as well as the Shadowman are in there? No mention of the four associates?

(Personally, I'm not ready to believe anything the developers say anymore. They've been misleading too many times. But hey if I happened to be right then woo.)

• Administrators
On 6/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, MysteryMachineX said:

I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand. I've heard nothing of an interview. Are you saying he says the the four characters as well as the Shadowman are in there? No mention of the four associates?

(Personally, I'm not ready to believe anything the developers say anymore. They've been misleading too many times. But hey if I happened to be right then woo.)

On 6/8/2016 at 9:52 PM, NaBrZHunter said:

@Tac y'know, Blundell's response was kinda confusing. It wasn't positively affirmative - at least, it left something to be desired. Are you suggesting it was not really a confirmation or the opposite?

I'm saying that him saying "four characters" is likely referencing the four associates, and that yes this sounds like a confirmation that they're in the Summoning Key. I admit that I too was a little curious what could and couldn't be taken as an affirmation, but it all indicates (to me) that Blundell confirmed the associates are in the Key.

• 1 month later...

Is Maxis really lying? Or is 115 messing with his mind?

Look at the first radio again:

"Reality itself is shifting. I find myself reflecting on memories I am not longer sure are my own. Beyond the window, I saw a wasteland stretching far as the eye could see. I saw a scourge visited upon the Earth. I saw the children withered before my eyes. That was before... before he came. Samantha has been returned to me once more, as have you Edward... as have you."

This is combination with the 2nd radio tell us Maxis' reasons for working with Monty. After his daughter and Edward were returned to him, he had no choice.

Spoiler

"He explained everything to me, he will explain everything to you. Though his very presence defied logic, defied reason, he told me that he would help. I could not refuse."

Now back to the first radio: Maxis saw a scourge (which could be the aftermath of the rockets blowing up the earth) but more importantly: he saw the children dying right in front of him, yet he's completely fine? Thi and, the repeated message that 115 causes you to receive visions, hallucinations, dreams and memories that aren't your own makes it seem like Treyarch is hinting at two possible ways to take this radio:

1) The vision Maxis saw of the children dying in front of him was 115 induced and didn't actually happen. After Monty showed up, the children 'returned' to him, making him do Monty's bidding.

Or, it's the other way around.

2) The children really did die in front of him, which would mean that Samantha + Eddy being returned to him is actually the hallucination. Unless Monty can bring people back from the dead. 

That would make Maxis' reasons for cooperating with Monty all based on a empty lie. 

• Administrators

@Slade I choose option two, sort of. I think that Maxis set off these bombs and it caused the children to "wither." I think that both the children withering and being returned actually happened, and neither were a vision. But this doesn't make Maxis' commitment to Monty based on a lie, it makes it very real. Maxis made a deal with him that in his own words, he "could not refuse," and that returned the children to him.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Castun50 said:

Thats.....weird then. How does one stop that from happening?

That's the question! Maxis says it was "as though time itself was unraveling against its natural order" when he became healthier, so it appears that Monty somehow was able to do this. We're not exactly sure how yet.

Archived