Are all the Thunder references leading to something?

Tac

• Administrators

Aloha, Tac here! So in Zetsubou No Shima, there have been multiple references to Thunder, and I’m torn about whether it could mean something or if it’s coincidental. The first reference to thunder comes via The Skull of Nan Sapwe, who was the Pohnpeian god of thunder. The second is from the PAPd Marshall’s, Perun & Veles, where the former is the Russian god of thunder (I implore you to read more about this here). Third, there’s a very peculiar cipher that talks of a supposed Russian stealing the schematics to German wonder weapons. This screams the Thunder Gun, and to an extent the Gersh Device. The reason I say this is because Dr. Richtofen made comments on how Maxis had made the Thunder Gun, but when we retrieve it in Kino Der Toten, it had Russian all over it.

I may be missing more, and if so please let me know, but what do you guys think of this? Not enough to make any conclusion, or potentially something more?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another storm or thunder related item in the map is the KT-4. In actuality, the name of the weapon in game is the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi. 

The kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, is a legendary Japanese sword. Originallyit was known as Ame-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi, or, the "Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven", however the name of the sword was changed to the now more popular Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi or, "Sword Cutting Grass".

What strikes me is the original name of the sword and it's English translation. The "Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven." Gathering always represent the coming of a storm. Thoughts? 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Doppelgänger said:

Another storm or thunder related item in the map is the KT-4. In actuality, the name of the weapon in game is the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi. 

The kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, is a legendary Japanese sword. Originallyit was known as Ame-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi, or, the "Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven", however the name of the sword was changed to the now more popular Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi or, "Sword Cutting Grass".

What strikes me is the original name of the sword and it's English translation. The "Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven." Gathering always represent the coming of a storm. Thoughts? 

It's really cool! The Pack-a-Punched name is Masamune, which was Japan's greatest swordsmith.

But going beyond that, the various storm references throughout the game are certainly telling:

JFK: "I know there is a Devil, for I see a storm coming and his hand is in it!" - kill_streak_14

@Rissole25 also pointed out to me that Takeo often talks about Raijin frequently in the older maps, who is the Japanese god of thunder:

"Raijin will come for them all"

"I am blessed by Raijin"

So do you guys think this is just a zombies theme that has re-presented itself, something new, or what?

just blurting out my my thoughts sorry....

Many of the more powerful weapons from the Zombies story have been the Lighting type elemental (DG2, DG3 Wunderwaffe, DG4 shock charges, Storm Bow, Shock Cherry etc).  I wonder if its is a specific highlight or nod to the lighting elemental or is TreyArc just liking it for some odd reason. Who knows specifically,  but we do see it quite often as a stronger weapon in comparison to many of the other elementals used in the series.

As for KT-4 that is some cool info, going to read a little more about it.

Funny I was just reading up a little about Muramasa and Masamune, Both famous sword-smith's that had legendary swords crafted,  One for good and one for evil.  I know lots of Japanese Anime is based on old Japanese Folklore. Masamune of course being one of the more popular ones and many animes showing affinity to many elementals.  Gotta research but I would assume there would be some kind of lighting connection.

here is just some side note about the 2 swords

The elements have been a major theme in this installment of Zombies.

Shadows of Evil seemed incredibly influenced by fire and even earth, mainly from the Pack a Punch camo, the fire-filled basins, the firey pit at the bottom of the pit in the underground ritual chamber.

Der Eisendrache has themes of ice, obviously, and electricity. With the Death Ray, the electric traps, the Ragnarok DG-4's and the electricity bow. I know there are other bows, but it is one that seems to match all of the other "electricity theme" items.

Zetsubou No Shima also seems to be heavily influenced by the elements of earth, plants and water. Examples include the fact that is a tropical, forest-covered island as well as the KT-4.

I'm grasping at straws here, but I can't ignore that there are elemental themes in each of the maps.

So. Yeah, thunder might also somehow connect to the dragons recently discovered in the map. I mean LOGICALLY that makes no sense, however, I can't shake the feeling that somehow Dragons=Thunder.... Idk...Maybe I just have Drache on the Gehirn...

6 hours ago, Tac said:

Third, there’s a very peculiar cipher that talks of a supposed Russian stealing the schematics to German wonder weapons. This screams the Thunder Gun, and to an extent the Gersh Device. The reason I say this is because Dr. Richtofen made comments on how Maxis had made the Thunder Gun, but when we retrieve it in Kino Der Toten, it had Russian all over it.

I may be missing more, and if so please let me know, but what do you guys think of this? Not enough to make any conclusion, or potentially something more?

If I recall correctly, there was a cipher depicting the ramblings of Gersh in Zetsubou no Shima. It appears he's still bound to aetheric form... 

Lightning or electricity has always been present in zombies. Going all the way back to the original maps, electricity was a very present element and even theme to the storyline and the game. For starters, the 115 asteroid on Shi No Numa has electricity sparking out from about it. The very element that aided in the creation of zombies themselves is also used to power things. Weapons. Perks. Now possibly GobbleGums. I don't think it's a mistake that we see so much of this natural element within this game. However it does also seem like Treyarch or rather the zombies crew love messing around with lightning and electricity because it's so easy to use.

I hope it's all just a reminder about where all of this has come from. Electricity is a power source. One that has been controlled to such an extent where it seems to have pulled past our reach, much like the experiments the scientists in this story have done.