Cod points Boycott

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Koslans said:

I have not played it. Nor will I do so. What do you mean?

I've seen the comparison to that game a few times, or rather the hopeful thinking for what people would prefer. I don't understand it either, as I have not played it, but I'm with you on not understanding. The way I see it, microtransactions are not a bad thing and people are expecting things to just be free.

I don't believe people just want things to be "free", I feel like people are just tired of being screwed out of a good thing. When you pay full price for a game, you expect 100% of the product, no questions asked. However, it IS 2016 and this is just flat out no longer the case with video games. I think people want their products to be free from the chains of retail. I mean, that's why we bought the console and the game so that we wouldn't waste quarters at the arcade. However, as games evolved to become more complex and graphically inclined, the price to consistently put out a new game every year became just as inclined and complex. This creates a biome of hunger. Hunger for profit. This hunger creates an atmosphere of greed and effects the player-base with decisions like "new guns are NOT immediately available but if you are lucky and/or spend money you MAY get what you want". This concept is closest to the idea of gambling and allows me to set up my argument that video games are addictive and can become a bad addiction or a bad habit. South Park covered how indie game companies prey on weak minded, loose walleted individuals who shell out all their earnings for a chance at greatness but this individual makes up less than 5% of the addicts. Yet they are the targets for abuse in this freemium world. We need to remember who is the victim. Not the player who wants free shit but the people with addictive personalities who can't help themselves when you say, "Pay 100% and you have a CHANCE to win!"

The only reason we should all not give a fuck is because America allows people to blow their money on fuckery without question. America's business is business and if a company isn't making more each year than they are doing something wrong. From a business perspective, Activision is going to outlive us just like it outlived Atari. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, DrVonstool said:

I don't believe people just want things to be "free", I feel like people are just tired of being screwed out of a good thing. When you pay full price for a game, you expect 100% of the product, no questions asked. However, it IS 2016 and this is just flat out no longer the case with video games. I think people want their products to be free from the chains of retail. I mean, that's why we bought the console and the game so that we wouldn't waste quarters at the arcade. However, as games evolved to become more complex and graphically inclined, the price to consistently put out a new game every year became just as inclined and complex. This creates a biome of hunger. Hunger for profit. This hunger creates an atmosphere of greed and effects the player-base with decisions like "new guns are NOT immediately available but if you are lucky and/or spend money you MAY get what you want". This concept is closest to the idea of gambling and allows me to set up my argument that video games are addictive and can become a bad addiction or a bad habit. South Park covered how indie game companies prey on weak minded, loose walleted individuals who shell out all their earnings for a chance at greatness but this individual makes up less than 5% of the addicts. Yet they are the targets for abuse in this freemium world. We need to remember who is the victim. Not the player who wants free shit but the people with addictive personalities who can't help themselves when you say, "Pay 100% and you have a CHANCE to win!"

The only reason we should all not give a fuck is because America allows people to blow their money on fuckery without question. America's business is business and if a company isn't making more each year than they are doing something wrong. From a business perspective, Activision is going to outlive us just like it outlived Atari. 

You are paying x amount of dollars for what you get, not everything that comes with the game later. That's how I see it at least.

1 hour ago, Matuzz said:

Fallout 4 was semi disappointing.

Have you played the new DLC? BUILD YOUR OWN ROBOTS! And so much more on the way. 

It gets a bit cookie-cutter after a while, but I'm really enjoying it. I haven't even finished the game yet (spending way too much time on minute men and brotherhood of steel quests) 

ANYWAY, back on topic: 

MIcro-transactions are not a problem in this game. They just buy time. 

Ah, see that's another thing: There HAS to be a randomness factor. If you could just BUY perkaholics, what would the point of using the vatts be? 

Idea: Daily Items: Each day a different MP item or gobble gum gets a special deal. That deal allows you to strait up buy that item for cod points, cryptokeys, or LD.  It can be expensive, but the guarantee you get an item is useful. THAT way you can't just buy perkaholic whenever you want, but you can still be sure you get it once every so often.

9 hours ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

Have you played the new DLC? BUILD YOUR OWN ROBOTS! And so much more on the way. 

It gets a bit cookie-cutter after a while, but I'm really enjoying it. I haven't even finished the game yet (spending way too much time on minute men and brotherhood of steel quests) 

ANYWAY, back on topic: 

MIcro-transactions are not a problem in this game. They just buy time. 

Haven't played DLC it's just felt that dialog options like lack of skill checks and boring factions with no real interaction with each other was step backwards from the previous games.

18 hours ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

RIght now reddit can't shut up about it, as are youtubers. That's basically 90% of the Call of Duty Demographic right there. 

I think 90% is overly optimistic, if you dropped the zero it might be closer. A HUGE portion of players have no interest in frequenting boards or doing anything outside of the game itself. The Codz community is truly something unique & I'm sure quite a few people here are the info source for their respective groups/friends & likely without them would not know how to do the more hidden elements of the game. (Margwa Hat what?!)

The challenge you have is reaching the unheard masses who dont frequent said boards, the tiny % of players that is represented by reddit etc has to be so vociferous but in the end it may not be enough as only your wallet matters here unfortunately! 

The youtubers carrying a lot more weight these days but still in the grand scheme of thinks far from reaching anywhere close to 90%. Have a little check of the below, while these aren't 100% accurate it gives you an idea of the numbers we are talking about & fully appreciate a lot of those people wont even play online.

Spoiler

backup.png.6b206cd373d6283336903b15e71f3

While I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment in regards to the COD points/RNG issue, if you want to effect change you should see what numbers you are working with. I'm sure ATVI work with the philosophy if the majority aren't complaining that means they are happy which we know is not the case, more often then not the majority are just too lazy or not effected enough to want to do anything about it (that's me) :)