How did it start for you?

Boom115

• Administrators

Time to use the Wayback Machine of life and recall where this all started for you.

Where were you when you first played zombies, and what year was it?

I was in my dorm freshmen year of College and my suite mate convinced me to play this new game. The year was 2008, shortly after the game was released.

What was the first map you ever played?

Nacht der Untoten and to be honest I didn't play it much, because it scared the bajeezus out of me.

What was the first "strategy" you ran?

Camping on the Catwalk in Der Riese.

When did you know you were hooked?

I actually wasn't hooked until Kino. The map seemed massive at the time and seemed to have so much mystery hidden in it's walls. Little did I know what was ahead.

What was you favorite weapon in WaW?

The PPSh-41, soooo sexy.

Do you remember your first down?

Yes round 2. "Oh sh*t they can come in the windows?!"

First ever Easter Egg Discovery?

Finding a radio, I don't recall the transmission though.

What was your first Easter Egg Song?

Lullaby for a Deadman

Thanks for taking the trip down memory lane with me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my bedroom when I lived in VA, near DC. Got bored of BO1 MP and decided to check out this weird "Zombies" thing I saw on my main menu.

Kino Der Toten, and still my favorite.

Whole map train. Highly inefficient and slow, but safe.

When Ascension dropped and I discovered the EE steps, I said yes to Treyarch and we've been engaged ever since.

Only played the maps on BO1, so I'm not sure if it even was in WaW, but it's the Trench Gun.

No, I don't, but I'm sure it was dumb because I didn't even realize there were doors or guns to buy until someone else opened a door and I found myself all alone with an empty M1911 in the KDT starting room. (That may have been my first down, actually) =D

Film Reel pickup, though I thought it was a sprocket at the time.

I was convinced to buy "Black Ops" in 2010. Back then, I didn't even know COD existed lol.

FIVE

Camping on catwalk in Der Riese

2 years ago.

Ray Gun :D

Yeah, it was like 5 seconds after the match started lol

The Radios on Der Riese, a 9 year old I met online showed them to me.

Won't Back Down

I was at home. Probably about April 2009. I had heard of Nazi Zombies before, but never took it seriously until my best friend at the time told me about it. Then I looked at videos for it (they were of verruckt, didn't know that was DLC). Looked amazing to me. The next day (literally), I got it, beat the campaign, and played my first round of NDU

Nacht der Untoten, the first time I played I found a window (left of the carbine facing the same way as it). Heard noises (window breakage). Then that stopped. I was freaking out. I turned around, and there was a zombie. Freaked out. Killed it. immediately pressed pause and quit. I used to scare pretty easily, and for your first game it actually really is scary, especially when you hadn't seen a scary movie in years.

Upstairs over the balcony in NDU  (by grenades)

My friend and I developing strategies in NDU

The PPSh-41

Does the quit I did my first game count?

"Sam" when they used to shout it (can't remember if they still do in BO2).

Lullaby for a Deadman

I miss the old days  :( It's all kinda boring to me, now. I can't deny that it really did push me into real gaming (aside from various childhood games that I consider real games).

My room, with my brother. The year of WaW's release. Sorry, nothing special happened much.

Nacht.

"Backed against the wall." Upstairs, next to grenades in Nacht. Two people crouch in front shooting, two behind looking over them and chucking grenades every so often.

Kino. I experienced actual WaW maps on WaW much later.

The DG-2. Or PPSH if that doesn't count.

Round 3. All those windows, man.

Probably the radio that plays music on Nacht, or 115 on Kino.

115, or the Nacht radio songs.

At my best friends house we would play nazi zombies all the time. Funny thing as a kid I use to hate shooting games xD

Nacht der Untoten, always camping the top until I died at round 7.

Half map loop on Kino using traps and mp40 for points and Thundergun if I got trapped. I got my first round 50 doing this, did it the night before Ascension was released I was so fucking excited I felt like such a big player. Took me about 6-7 hours and had 3 downs. I tried it before with the old unlimited monkey bomb glitch but couldn't even make it then so I felt like I was getting really good at zombies.

Probably once I got Black Ops, but I didn't get the game until Christmas though. I could tell this was definitely my game when I found out about the zombies community and become a part of it.

Never played World at War that much, only really played Nacht. Probably the flamethrower or the ray gun. Not the biggest fan of the ppsh like most people, too heavy for me for one thing.

I don't remember my first down, but I remember my most rememberable down when I first started playing. I was at a family party and they were playing nazi zombies on Nacht so I decided to play and one round this zombie came up behind me out of nowhere, I screamed, shit myself, took the zombie's head off, but it still killed me.

I posted the text version of the Call of the Dead easter egg onto CoDz, got a few thousand views. Also found the easter egg song and how to activate pack a punch the first time I played Shangri-La.

115. Elena Siegman is amazing.

Time to use the Wayback Machine of life and recall where this all started for you.

I was in my dorm freshmen year of College and my suite mate convinced me to play this new game. The year was 2008, shortly after the game was released.

Nacht der Untoten and to be honest I didn't play it much, because it scared the bajeezus out of me.

Camping on the Catwalk in Der Riese.

I actually wasn't hooked until Kino. The map seemed massive at the time and seemed to have so much mystery hidden in it's walls. Little did I know what was ahead.

The PPSh-41, soooo sexy.

Yes round 2. "Oh sh*t they can come in the windows?!"

Finding a radio, I don't recall the transmission though.

Lullaby for a Deadman

Thanks for taking the trip down memory lane with me.

hmmm ill have to think about this

I assume i was just in my house, it was 2009 i believe and MW2 had just come out. I had never played COD before and World at War looked interesting to me at wal mart. 

Somewhere along the line i tried Nacht Der Untoten. Thought it was kinda fun but never really stuck.  Then I downloaded the map packs for the MP maps, and found Verruckt.  That's when the obsession really started

Camping the mystery box starting room in Verruckt, leaving the door to speed cola closed and using bouncing betty's for the downstairs window

touched on this earlier, but it was playing split screen on veruckt, and developing the mystery box strategy with my friends.  I dont think we even used perks because we didn't know what they did lol.  Many a night would be spent taking turns on split screen sharing a case of beer and hanging with friends lol

hmmm, probably the ray gun,  Trench gun was an early favorite too, and we always came up with nicknames for the weapons. i.e. the PPsh was the "people shredder"  the flamethrower was the "flame dick" the Panzershrek the "panzer toilet"  the "Thomp daddy"  and the upgraded DG-2 was the "waffle with syrup"

nope, but it was probably in round 1-2 the first time i played lol

I have no idea.  Not until the build up to black ops 1 did I even really look on the internet for zombies stuff.  First easter egg i actually did was the Fly Trap, and then the first formal side quest I did was on Call of the Dead

again no idea, but I think it was the one on Kino

I was at home when I first played zombies and it was the year of World at War's release.

The first map I played was Nacht.

The first strategy I ever ran was back when a few of my friends got Shi No Numa when it was released and we would camp around the box area and the comm room door. But I think everyone knows that one  ;)

The first map where I legitimately knew that I was hooked was without a doubt Shi No Numa.

What was your favourite weapon in WaW?

Must have been the Thompson.

I can't be 100% sure with this but I believe it was on my first attempt when I was in a 2 player game and we decided to open the stairs by round 3 or 4 and I ended up getting backed into the corner with the grenades with no ammo.

I can't be sure with this one either but I believe it was the note on Der Riese inside the box opposite Double Tap.

Lullaby for A Dead Man

The year was 2012, I was told to get COD Black Ops by a friend, so I got Black Ops for the Wii.

The Wii only had one map, Kino Der Toten. So Kino.

None. Didn't know what to do so I just did whatever the people in the lobby was doing.

When I got my Xbox 360 in Summer 2012, got Black Ops and got Rezurection, enjoyed all the maps, except Verruckt. (Which now I like)

PPSH

Nope. I can only assume it had something to do with me and a window. Or me and that door in Kino which only opens when the power's been turned on.

Kino Der Toten film reels.

Wow that I can't remember, I know I was in Murray Ky at my new job. As far as the year, all I know was BO1 wasn't out and all the map packs for WaW were already released

Shi No numa

My first strategy was on Der Riese, I would stand on the ledge by double tap, drop down on panic mode (no fall damage on WaW), run past the power switch and up to the ledge in the teleporter room where the box spawns, fall off that ledge and run all the way back to double tap, once BO1 came out that strategy was no good.

The first time I played, as bad as it was I knew I was a gamer and seeing my buddy get to the 90s on shi no just made that competitiveness come out of me and I ended up playing nothing but zombies, I never did get close to 90 on that map.....

PPSH

I had moved to a new town, working in a tattoo studio and saw my piercer playing Shi no and I was all like "I play shooters all the time this doesn't look hard" maybe 20 minutes later I was down for the count.

Do radios count? The ones on Shi no, if not it was the hide and seek from Der Riese

Lullaby for a dead man. Still one of my favorite songs from zombies. It was the first introduction into story I got, I looked up the song and saw the lyrics and started theorizing immediately, ultimately I joined the activision forums when they were tolerable and eventually found my place here, where I creeped topics for months before making an account :D

I was at a family friends. He had Black Ops for the PS3, and we got hooked on Five.

Five.

I ran the Stage on Kino with some buddies on Xbox, I sucked so I hard I always bought Speed Cola then Quick Revive, not even knowing what Jug was.

When my friend and I pulled ourselves together and made the wonderfully high round of 8 on Five. I went home that night and did much research, spending hours reading the archives over at the notorious Call of Duty Wiki

The FG42. My baby...

Why of course! Who doesn't remember the first time they scream and wet their pants as arms flail alongside their screen?

That there was, get this, a STORY! I found a Ray Gun behind a barrier on Five, and began the descent into addiction.

115. The awesomeness of slaying to that song is still a factor in my Zombies career.

WAW. I recall trying it for a few then never looked at it again until years later on.

I played Nacht briefly but never thought much of it.

Years later saw my son play Five with his friends and got hooked.

After sucking for many weeks, my son showed me a tutorial on Five by Xcalizorz. I mimicked his looping in the war room. Soon after I found Superhands and Tom's guides and videos, I became a member on CODZ.

When I faked sickness to stay home alone to play Five.

Thompson.

Of my 4 million over time? Heck no.

The only one I did was COTD solo.

The one on Five, where you touch three red phones. And the song sucked.

With a friend in summer 2009.

Nacht Der Untoten

Back cover of my friend, the two barricades in HELP room, but I did not see the broken wall and we are dead.

When I discovered the history of Zombies Mode.

The Wunderwaffe DG-2 !

Perhaps the first round.

First ever Easter Egg Discovery? What was your first Easter Egg Song?

The radio next to the mystery box in Nacht Der Untoten.

Can't remember exactly where I was, but I think it was in my home. After playing CoD 4: Modern Warfare, I was a bit skeptical about the next game being World War II. Treyarch had all ready made a WW2 game, but what a game World at War turned out to be. "Granada"

Nacht Der Untoten.

Though this isn't the exact video, this is how I discovered CoD: Zombies

">

I was an Xbox achievement whore. I really got into Zombies when Shi No Numa was released because it had Achievements.

I think I YouTubed some strategy videos & came across legends like o0oMORRISoOo & Vandz strategies.

If you haven't heard if these guys before, they pretty much started the Training loops that we know today. (Look them up) I still remember watching the first video looping of Verrückt.

Anyway, I used o0oMORRISo0o swamp loop strategy where you do loops around the boardwalk. I forget what area it was.

Der Riese. This guy "Convergency" pretty much got me hooked. I wanted to get every achievement & he had videos of himself getting all of the Der Riese Cheevos in 1 game.

Check out these vids, there are 10 parts all up. These got me hooked, trying to get "Perkaholics Anonymous" - reach round 20 without Jugg

">

PPSh-41 (The Reaper) & C-3000 b1at-ch35 (Pack-A-Punched Pistol) ALL DAY!

That's a bit personal.

I think activating the radios in the starting area of Shi No Numa. That's when I discovered the story too.

I lurked some of "WetheGamerz" forums & the rest is history. And it still took me a long time to sign up to CoDz. (All from that one discovery)

Shi No Numa's "The One". Still my favorite Zombies song.

My Brother Anthony and i got a copy of WaW as a present and play nazi zombies all the time! The year was 2008, i remember people envied how good we were because we'd get to round like 20-30 and back then getting to round like 10 was cool x). I remember staying up late on weekends and playing all summer long! Then the map packs, ooooh the map packs(:

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

I am curious how you met zombies.

When did you played it for the first time and how did you became familar with the story?

For me it started on my nephews birthday.

He had a ps3 with black ops, which we were playing for a while (multiplayer).

After some time we discovered Zombies mode and we started playing Kino.

He had only one controller, so we played it alternately, each one of us not coming further then round 5.

We didnt discovered the doors, and only using the wall weapon Olympia, but it was so much fun.

A few years later, I played BO2 at a friend for the first time.

Tranzit was great, and for me the reason to buy a console.

I played it a lot, till a few months ago, when I played Shangri La at a friend for the first time.

That loading screen was so weird: The music, the flying pyramids, the Jungle, what had this to do with zombies?

I became interested in the story, bought some DLC's, and found this site.

Here, I learned very much, so much I even made my own (small) theories.

So, thats it for me.

• Tech Admin

Honestly, it started because I was sick to the back teeth of multiplayer, I was "late" to the game with zombies and really only got "heavily" involved with it towards the end of BO1. I was more heavily involved with BOII and to be honest, it's just grown from that. I needed a new game and Zombies was that game, I do tend to veer into playing Fifa, Trials, GTA, GoW, Aliens now and again but generally speaking Zombies hasn't been out of the CD drawer for near on 10 years (that's sad eh!).

The wife is sick and tired of the zombies soundtrack when waiting in a lobby for example, they boy has just made it worse as he has started playing it on his Keyboard *bloody good at it too) and I've been heavily involved with the forum now for 2 years and it's been a great place. Met one of my mucka's @Boom here (not in person, one day though - we basically joined around the same time) and he has a lovely family and invited my daughter Lauren to get involved with his daughters Flat Stanley project (who visited the First Minister of Scotland btw). As well as all the other staff and members here, it's been very welcoming and very humble to help the site flourish (still got lots to do).

Anyway, my love of Zombies can only be blamed on one thing - how much I hated MULTIPLAYER after years of playing it.

Second part first: I've never come to know the story, nor care. I love that the story is so important to many here, so don't take that wrong way. It's just not on my radar at all.

----------------

CSB:

I didn't play cod, but had heard of it. In 1998, we started playing Magic: tg, which pretty much usurped my gaming time, putting VGs on the back burner for the first time since tabletop coin-op Pong in the late seventies (this was before 'arcade' style machines existed. I've played 5¢ pinball at Asbury Park).

Around Spring of 2009, my friend tells a tale of a video game; where these zombies break boards off of windows and attack you, you shoot them and repair the windows and it happens again, only harder. "Sounds incredibly boring" I said, being the Jersey asshole that i am. Of course, when i hung out over there, it was the scene and so, i happily jumped in. It was stupid and boring, if we hit level 10 on NDU, that was a good game. Over about 3 weeks of intermittent playing and swapping controllers between peops, it happened: i wanted to play this glitchy mess of a game. I was getting ready to leave his apt, when i said "damn it, now I'll have to buy this stupid game". My friend quipped, "No you don't, I've got an extra copy right here, still in the plastic that xxxxxx gave me. You can have it". I brought it home, discovered that dlc1 was out and got that (Zombie Verrückt). About a week later, SNN released. I began teaching an old friend who just moved back to the area to split screen with me, he hadn't played VGs since Atari in like '84. But i slowly got him to get to decent rounds in split screen. August came with Der Riese...and we've played zombies (and Extinction) until now (we can't split screen BO3 on 360, and he will move across country again soon, the end of an age of split screen zombies). Of course i play mad solo zombies and with other friends and, at one time, randoms.

I have played exo zombies, but it wasn't very good and i couldn't get friends to play it, so that made it less attractive too.

That's my zombies tale.

It started back in 2008 when Call of Duty: World at War was released and once I finished the Campaign and I was hooked since just playing the Zombie Mode.

I've never really followed the Zombie Story, I have always just wanted to play Zombie Mode on each release to be honest.

I do plan on reading up on the Story so I can understand it better and mix in with the Community here as It's a great site.

• Administrators

In late 2012 or early '13, my cousins brought an Xbox 360 over to my family's house and talked me into reluctantly joining them in an online grief match on Bus Depot. I died. Again. And again. In the lava. I spent more time down than I did up, and probably never even emptied my M1911, much less purchased a new gun. This was the second experience I ever had on Call of Duty with the first being at a friend's on MW2 or 3 and, having never gamed in my life (other than some WildTangent top-down demos), like a regular Jim Halpert I stood with my face in a corner, jumping up and down because I knew how and because I thought the killcam looked funny, which was the most I knew how to achieve. My wife still laughs about that to this day.

After the aforementioned fiasco on Bus Depot, it would be a long time until my next foray into that particularly miserable world, yet not so long until my next enrapturing encounter with the Undead.

It was somewhat later in 2013 that my younger brother was introduced to WAW Zombies for iOS by those same cousins of mine, and I ventured into the shadows of Nacht Der Untoten where, on those tiny iPhone 4 screens, we all met up for co-op games. 
Due to my initial impression that one must "level up," it took me some time to venture into Zombie Verruckt, and then to Shi No Numa, but each one I loved more than the last. My brother urged me to try Der Riese, saying "there's an awesome thing called a Pack-a-Punch that upgrades your guns and makes the pistol shoot grenades!" So after much persuasion, I joined him and my fiance (now wife) in a co-op game, and was often completely lost. I still remember the feeling of being on such a massive map and not having any idea how one area related to another, while we camped on the mainframe and the zombies swarmed up. But I was hooked. Hooked bad. Hooked as in, I spent lunch hours at work playing (yes, still on iOS).

Then came the day that my brother informed me that knifing the brain jars played a song, and it occurred to me that maybe other things made sounds when knifed. I discovered the radios. I flipped out, and nearly instantly became attached to the story; I was intrigued, and sympathized with Dr. Maxis, and since Dr. Richtofen was player 4, and we never had 4 players, I didn't even know he was a playable character until much later.

Though I didn't have a console until Black Friday of 2014, I purchased WAW, BO1 and BO2, and in no time following that Black Friday, I had every DLC. I regularly read threads by the brilliant folks on Call of Duty Zombies Forum, watched @MrRoflWaffles, @MrDalekJD, @MysteryMachineX, NGTZombies and listened to every radio and quote compilation I could find, but didn't even think to join in until DICE 2015, where I, with the rest of my new-found community, eagerly hung on Mark Lamia's every word..."that is, if we haven't started already."

And that is how I got here. 

• Administrators

Many people find this shocking, but I actually didn't enjoy Zombies until Black Ops 3. I joined the site just before the original Black Ops but had very slow internet connection at home, and as fun as solo zombies is for like 5 years, I just couldn't take it. No MP, no Zombies until Black Ops 3. I'm very much a late bloomer when it comes to Call of Duty. Because of this, I've gained a new appreciation for both modes and am just enthralled in them now (maybe it's the new XP ranking system, I can't be sure), but yeah that's how I got into the gameplay aspect :p I've followed the storyline for at least that long now really without ever playing, so this is a new experience for me.

The first map I ever played was Tranzit. I rarely played video games, had an Xbox 360 and would play FIFA for about 30 minutes a week, and was about to sell the console as it was collecting dust. Went to a friend’s house where they were playing co-op on a tiny little TV and ended up playing with them. No strategy, no point management, just bought a shotgun off the wall and would die between round 3 and 10 every time. I liked how there seemed to be no real objective other than not dying, which gave it that arcade feel that I enjoyed about gaming as a youngster, and is something that is lacking in a lot of modern games. Was only supposed to be popping in, but lost a couple of hours to the game. One of my friends left their keys behind so we went back a couple of hours later, and they were still playing which I found mind boggling. I didn’t particularly look down my nose on gaming, but it was not something that any of my friends in my adult life took part in or talked about, and to spend half your weekend playing a video game was an odd concept for me. 

Over the next month or so, I would always contact my friend on the weekend when I was in the area and sure enough they’d be playing zombies, so I would go and join them and slowly learnt more about the game mechanics, perks, etc. I remember them talking about the concept of ‘training' but they didn’t understand how to do it, and trying to explain to me that there was an easter egg, which was a concept I couldn’t understand as I knew squat about modern video games. They talked about round 30 like it was the holy grail, and said if they ever got there they would stop playing the game.

At this point I was hooked enough to purchase a copy of black ops 2 and start playing online, probably around the time that Die Rise dropped, but it still took me until Mob of the Dead to be able to break round 30 and complete an Easter egg, which then made me want to keep improving and getting further in each map, as well as learning bits of story through the easter eggs. I also invested in a copy of black ops at this point and went back through all those maps. I was surprised at how earlier, more simplistic maps had even more replay value to me, and playing maps like Nacht and Verruckt for the first time made me really appreciate the game in its most basic form. Tower defence style gameplay with limited weapons, where death comes sooner rather than later, is what kept me coming back for more, but with black ops 3 I find myself more interested in where the storyline is heading and easter eggs than playing for high rounds.

15 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Great stories, all of them.

I am amazed not all of you are veterans which are following the zombie story since the very first map :P

When i first heard of the zombie 'story line', i thought those folk were right mad. But they're a huge part of what makes this community. Strange things, this life. 

Archived