Mob of the Dead Loading Screen Code

RPsMuRf

So I was playing Black Ops 2 Mob of the Dead and as the game was loading, I noticed the FFGXGD code. I looked it up but no one seemed to have solved it so I tried to and this is what I have gotten so far. Please respond this might be important.

I cant upload a picture but the 4x4 grid on the loading screen with the numbers says "mob of the dead abcd" also I know that the long code on the right can be solved with a WW1 cipher code, ADFGX. Please respond

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very difficult so far,  I am still working it. I failed BIG TIME belieiving in the Portal (The Giant is in France )  LIE. And I arrogantly supported these claims without fully checking if it was real.

So... There seems to be 2 main things we need to know.... The KEYWORD, which is the organizing key. , but also we need to know the POLYBIUS , which is the order of the alphabet used in the cipher.

The Mobofthedeadabcd 4x4 square in the lower right corner has been called the (motd codex) and next to it is the important bit  A = (motd codex)

This lead many to assume this codex was the key to arranging the alphabetical "polybius"

Even if so, we still need the keyword,

And possibly one more bit to add confusion... Is the adfgx cipher we see meant to be read left to right top to bottom, or reversed in some way. (some believe the motd codex is actually hinting at this, and not the polybius)

There is a good website with program to make trying out keywords and polybius arrangements quickly, so you wont have to physically write it out. forgot link, but google motd adfgx cipher and it is the one titled geocaching.

p.s. Keyword is rumored to be 6 letters (based on how the cipher is partitioned)

Turing  (Alan Turing broke german Enigma code and invents the computer)

Enigma ( famed ww2 german "unsolve-able puzzle)

portal zombie icarus editor.....  etc. etc.

2 hours ago, MrRoflWaffles said:

Hardest cipher in Call of Duty Zombies history.

Hardest there will ever be, at that. Namely because the only hope for a decode is to bruteforce with extremely limited ciphertext to frequency analyse.

Nasty stuff.

But by the time we finally solve it and find the key, it's probably going to be something obvious.

• 5 months later...

@MrRoflWaffles I just had the idea that maybe treyarch isnt playing by the standard rules with this cipher. I personally think that they intentionally left the cipher sideways and the keyword is "mobofthedead" it fits top to bottom. If there is someone adventurous enough to explore this possibility please do! This also might explain why the cube in the corner just randomly says mob of the dead abcd and why the A= is there beside it. this could possibly mean ADFGX key = 13 15 2 15 6 20 8 5 4 85 1 2 3 4

19 minutes ago, Crigger said:

@MrRoflWaffles I just had the idea that maybe treyarch isnt playing by the standard rules with this cipher. I personally think that they intentionally left the cipher sideways and the keyword is "mobofthedead" it fits top to bottom. If there is someone adventurous enough to explore this possibility please do! This also might explain why the cube in the corner just randomly says mob of the dead abcd and why the A= is there beside it. this could possibly mean ADFGX key = 13 15 2 15 6 20 8 5 4 85 1 2 3 4

Sorry if I'm being stupid here, as I am just learning the basics of cryptography at the moment, but doesn't an ADFGX keyword have to have no repeating characters? Also, I don't think it would work with the gap of four characters in one of the columns.

29 minutes ago, AetherialVoices said:

Sorry if I'm being stupid here, as I am just learning the basics of cryptography at the moment, but doesn't an ADFGX keyword have to have no repeating characters? Also, I don't think it would work with the gap of four characters in one of the columns.

In most instances a keyword does not have recurring letters to make it easier to decipher but it is not a rule. Having recurring letters just makes it exponentially harder. litterally. if you have one double letter there is then 2 options that could be true 2 double letters means that there are then 4 possible options it could be. As for the gap? read the text right to left and not left to right. or the gap could just be another ruse to throw us off and can be ignored and assumed that the letters should be all the way to the left. Alas, I also am a newbie at ciphers myself which is why i left my thoughts for the pros to handle. I anticipated that I can be 1000000000% wrong on this but the main "idea" of my post is that treyarch is sneaky and I don't believe that they made it as simple as the community is assuming. They don't always like to play by the rules

1 hour ago, Crigger said:

They don't always like to play by the rules

I was a bit obsessed with that idea initially but after seeing/hearing about what they normally do, they generally play by the rules when it comes to ciphers. The initial text could be trickier like putting "X"s between all the words or swapping an "O" with a "Q" but they follow the basic workings of the cipher type. Having a thought about the initial setup isn't a bad idea but the cipher is difficult enough without being tricky in that sense.

Archived