All Ciphers

Tac

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nieno69 I understand exactly what you're saying about the punctuation marks, especially with the cipher you just solved in mind. I also agree with your thought that the spaces are not correct. Getting rid of them like you have done will free us up in the long run. There are two things I'm less sure of that you've done. The first is the flipping. I do agree that this is a possibility bc there is no reason someone couldn't write the cipher text in reverse order; however I do think it's less likely. The second is getting rid of the case-sensitivity of the text. What I mean is that I have the cipher as:

o yo l rrgnrdcyhea thsyar a p w sryy c auM ag ,naaca ldwylnmrphoto... llulf yoirntin teop noekuaoku Zyiooy.ee ulZ

I have a capital M and two capital Z's. I'm assuming that if it was written this way it must be important. I think it can give us a clue to the encipherment method used if we can figure out the text. Of course, I haven't yet found a suitable candidate.

• Administrators

Thank you to everyone for doing such great work here and I appreciate it greatly. @Hells Warrrior was able to give me control of the OP so all the ciphers are in there now and my Transcripts thread (in my signature) is being updated as we speak. I want to confirm that we still have two unsolved right, TheCastle and the clocktower cipher?

• Administrators

Definitely didn't mean to leave the Peter one out, so thank you for that. Surprised I forgot about it considering I solved it haha. And I'll be sure to add the Chalkboard one too, hadn't really thought of that. Thanks again for all the hard work you've put in! You've made some of our lives much easier, like @MrRoflWaffles said.

First of all - GREAT WORK TO ALL INVOLVED!!!

Whether it be here or on Reddit or Youtube. It's great to see everybody helping each other, posting their thoughts & ideas AND GIVING CREDIT to whoever helped them out or solved something. Awesome job to ya'll (cause it's way over my head!)

@Nieno69  That formula is part of a message @MrRoflWaffles & WaterKH solved ( @certainpersonio posted the link above titled "Chalkboard Cipher")

Once again, awesome work by everybody that's been able to make something of all these ciphers. Great story coming out of them all.

Yeah, was going to mention the Chalkboard Cipher! I actually am WaterKH, so I may make a personal account instead of using our YouTube channel..  Anyways, this is a really good job at organizing all of the ciphers into one location! Definitely psyched to start on some of the ones that haven't been solved yet! (: I'm sure people would have posted if there were updates, but do we have any?

EDIT: Just from first glance, "TheCastle" cipher - The first three parts (o yo I) could mean "I am a" which would mean that we are definitely dealing with a poly-alphabetic cipher, though I don't have really a lot of time to look into it currently. But I'll try and see what I can figure out tonight!

@vigiliisgaming Welcome WaterKH! I agree with you about "The Castle" being polyalphabetic, and the stats back it up too. There have been a few points people have been discussing about it:

1. Is the punctuation in the correct spot? My opinion is that no, it is not. Specifically you can see a period in the middle of a word and a comma to start a word. I think the consequence of this is that the punctuation needs to be included in the cipher-alphabet.  @Nieno69 had a cool idea about possibly flipping the cipher around and reading it from reverse. It certainly does correct some of the punctuation issues.
  2. Can you trust the spaces? Again, my opinion is no. I specifically like to point out that there is a series of 3 single letter words in the cipher. This can't create a legible sentence in English (at least as far as I can tell). The conclusion would be that the spaces either can't be trusted bc it's a cryptographic counter measure, or that the space is also part of the cipher alphabet. An alternate theory for these three one letter words is that they could be initials for someone or they could be numbers (maybe). 
  3. How to handle the capital letters? There are two Zs and one M. How the heck are we supposed to incorporate them? I don't really know except to say (unoriginally) that the cipher alphabet has both capital and lowercase letters in it. I have also thought that this could be some kind of checkerboard cipher where sometimes characters are represented by 1 or 2 cipher text. Thus the Z and M could be included some, but not all of the time.

I've done some quick checks with Vigenere, Beaufort, and Base64 Vigenere I've been working with for TheGiant cipher. None have worked yet. Admittedly I also haven't put much work into this one yet. 

Thank you so much @certainpersonio! It's super nice to get some evidence for the assumptions!

For the first one, I think the punctuation may actually be correct. I say this because in the 2nd cipher listed on this post, we have commas and periods where they lead and are in the middle respectively. But, then again we have a shorter ciphertext as well as the AMSCO was used and we can't use that since we have a key made up of Letters instead of Numbers.

For the second one if we are using column transposition, we may have to use the spaces. So in the order they are in currently they may not work, but if we use them (like you said) as part of the ciphertext then maybe it will reveal something. If we were to use this way, we would need to take out repeating words, which may or may not be correct.

The last one... No idea. Unless it IS in fact made up of both a-z and A-Z where we would need to cycle through rotations, or use transposition based on the keyword. 

@Nieno69 I like you idea with castle names. We're using as the keyword, because traditionally that's what it's been used for. However, when ciphers and stuff are published for puzzling/entertainment, a lot of time they have a clue to go with it that helps you get to the answer, but isn't necessarily the key. 

As for the "letter" and "space" comment you made, I'm still confused. Could you elaborate a bit more?

9 hours ago, certainpersonio said:

@Nieno69 I like you idea with castle names. We're using as the keyword, because traditionally that's what it's been used for. However, when ciphers and stuff are published for puzzling/entertainment, a lot of time they have a clue to go with it that helps you get to the answer, but isn't necessarily the key. 

As for the "letter" and "space" comment you made, I'm still confused. Could you elaborate a bit more?

Ok lets try: With "letter" i mean the cipher itself

The cipher Begins with an "o" But the is a space before the o ? For ubchi that's a important fact... but im not sure about this...Another question: how dr groph.richthofen Refer to the caste? In german he says to richthofen :"griffen station an adlerhorst adlerhorst Bitte kommen"

It's where richthofen Talks to dr groph... hope you understand and can help me

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Nieno69 said:

Ok lets try: With "letter" i mean the cipher itself

The cipher Begins with an "o" But the is a space before the o ? For ubchi that's a important fact... but im not sure about this...Another question: how dr groph.richthofen Refer to the caste? In german he says to richthofen :"griffen station an adlerhorst adlerhorst Bitte kommen"

It's where richthofen Talks to dr groph... hope you understand and can help me

He's referring to a different Eagles Nest than Adlerhorst, just as a heads up.

Archived