The History, Traditional Powers and Known Uses of the MPD

NaBrZHunter

• Administrators

In a previous treatise, “The Nature of the Aether,” I explored the concept of the Aether and how, with the construction and proper configuration of a Matter Transference Device or MTD,  it could be harnessed and used for the to displace objects and persons in spacetime.

However, it must be noted that an MTD is powered with consumable Element 115, and therefore, has limited capabilities, and even more limited terrestrial fuel supply.

Often confused with the MTD, the MPD (Moon Pyramid Device, by our best estimation) is the subject of this treatise: an ancient Vril machine discovered in January of 1940 by Dr. Edward Richtofen in his first attempt to teleport a human subject: namely, himself. Hidden in a cavern on the Moon, the MPD had not been encountered by any other known human generation, but seemed to be armed in such a way as to find a pilot for itself and unleash its Aethereal capabilities.

While documenting his discovery, Dr. Richtofen attempted to carefully touch it, receiving a static shock upon doing so. Furthermore, he observed that it sounded hollow, and soon began hearing what he perceived to be voices.

It was shortly after this that Dr. Ludvig Maxis, the operations administrator and head of staff at the Group 935 Der Riese Waffenfabrik facility in Lower Silesia, Poland, adopted Dr. Richtofen’s MTD concept, and had a mainframe and three terminal MTDs constructed, but was not successful in his attempts to teleport living subjects. He observed:

“The test subjects have survived teleportation but are currently unresponsive to commands and cannot be controlled.”

In later logs, he can be heard shouting commands at a zombie, yet receiving little cooperation.

Perhaps it ought to be noted that Dr. Richtofen, who had been mentally unstable and hearing voices in his head since his discovery, acted as Maxis’ personal assistant for these experiments, and was responsible, it would seem, for configuring the MTD per Dr. Maxis’ orders. Yet, willing to sacrifice his reputation as a competent scientist, he repeatedly sabotaged Maxis’ attempts by incorrectly configuring the MTDs, resulting in the destruction or zombification of the test subject.

There are two potential motives we may consider based on what we know, the first being that he wanted to delay the success of the Der Riese MTD project to avoid Maxis taking credit for the discovery, or perhaps to reduce the possibility of him discovering the MPD as well as Richtofen’s secret research facility on the moon, which was under construction at the time.

On the other hand, he seems to have gleaned a good deal of information from the voices in his head in regards to the purpose and capabilities of the MPD, and deliberately configured the teleporter to produce the first zombie, preparing the world for his ultimate takeover, a plan he intended to enact when Dr. Groph, his top scientist at Griffin station, discovered how to power and open the MPD.

Sometime after mid-September, 1945, Dr. Schuster, a longtime colleague of Dr. Richtofen, now serving as Dr. Groph’s assistant scientist on the MPD project, killed a lab rat in the vicinity of the MPD, causing a glass chamber to rise from the floor at the front-right corner of the device, and indicate that it had absorbed the energy from the rat, and would need more to be fully powered. The scientists informed Richtofen, who sent test subjects and prisoners to Griffin Station to complete the process, an act that appalled Dr. Groph, yet he dared not refuse.

In late 1945, the MPD was fully powered, and the pyramid’s four triangular shields were lowered, ready for an occupant. Dr. Richtofen declared that he would return to Der Riese from his secret communication outpost known as Eagle’s Nest and enact “Protocol 935,” sabotaging one more experiment by Dr. Maxis, this time involving his daughter Samantha’s pregnant dog.

On this final occasion, dog disappeared, yet did not appear at the mainframe, rather, after some delay, reappeared in the terminal chamber aggressive and deformed amidst a ball of electricity. 

Samantha, confused and traumatized, ran into the teleporter to release Fluffy, and Maxis followed, attempting to stop her. Richtofen seized the opportunity, locking them inside, properly configuring the device, and teleporting them away. 

Where exactly he expected them to go is uncertain, as,  in the opening transmission from Kino Der Toten, he seems surprised at the outcome. 

Arriving on the Moon, meanwhile, Samantha panicked and ran into the open MPD, which accepted her and closed, giving her control of Richtofen’s dream machine.

Now, based on Samantha’s ability to use the powers of the MPD to heckle Richtofen and destroy Griffin Station and the Group 935 facilities, that learning how to use it is similar to DNI learning, where the occupant essentially “downloads” the knowledge as long as they are intimately linked to it (ie, Richtofen being the first to touch it, ergo, establish a connection, and Samantha being the actual occupant).

Based on a variety of quotes from Sam and Richtofen throughout Moon and the other BO1 maps, we can gather that the MPD is capable, first of all, of mind control if the target is weak enough. Being technically dead, the fundamental neurological system of a zombie cannot be controlled by the undead individual itself when targeted by the MPD’s Aether-based signal. The effect is further amplified in both living and undead targets depending on the concentration of 115 in their system.

These factors support the belief Richtofen sets forth in log entry 1472 on September 10, 1945:

“I still have not had any luck reprogramming the live specimens. Dr. Maxis believes that the key to unlocking the human mind will be more easily discovered on someone who isn’t dead yet. I am not convinced.”

We find this further reinforced in the cases of not only Richtofen and the voices he hears, but when the MPD has Samantha, a human occupant, the signal is seemingly amplified further, so that Tank, Nikolai, and Takeo are also able to hear her, as well as others who have been exposed to large amounts of 115, Dr. Yuri and Dr. Gersche of the Ascension Project for instance.

Dr. Yuri, like Dr. Richtofen, is one of the few cases in which a living human experienced mind control-like symptoms, having been weakened by bitterness and vengefulness. However, once his betrayal of Gershe is complete, he comes to his senses again, reinforcing the idea that the living, cognitive human mind is less susceptible to manipulation that an undead.

Yet another example is Samuel Stulingher from Black Ops 2. Having been a part of “The Flesh” he has ingested 115 and therefore has a higher concentration of it in him system and is therefore able to hear Dr. Richtofen, and more inclined to follow his commands.

In the case of the undead, however, being completely incapable of logic or empathy, there is nothing to resist the commands of the MPD’s occupant, which, as has been discussed throughout the community in the past, would explain the zombies not eating their prey once down, unless the signal is stopped or interrupted.

Edit: @Abel! has suggested in a recent post that the zombies are not and cannot be controlled by the occupant of the MPD, however, in addition to the zombie eye color changes contingent on who occupies the MPD, the following quotes leave no question:

When he swaps souls with Samantha, Richtofen celebrates, "I WILL CONTROL THEM ALL! I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL! But not before we finish the game."

Both Sam and Edward refer repeatedly to the zombies as 'minions' and 'puppets.'

When overwhelmed by a hoard, Samantha says, "show some respect! Don't you remember who I am?" She is also known to say, "it was more fun when I was in charge."

And reinforcing this connection between the MPD and the undead is Samantha's warning, "don't kill the Zombies! He [Richtofen] just gains power when you do."

Unless inhibited by a contestant entity (ie, the Maxis-Richtofen feud of BO2), the occupant of the MPD has large amounts of control over the Aethereal energies, not dissimmilar to a broadcast tower transmitting by use of radio waves. This capability allows the controller to displace objects and, as we saw with the N4 in BO2, consenting persons, in the spacetime continuum at will, in addition to providing the green power ups we all love so much. Being the provider of these objects, the controller may also reward or put a price on them, making them unattainable unless those demands are met.

However, contrary to some theories, the controller of the MPD cannot manipulate time itself, or physically manipulate objects in time. Some certain objects can either be dropped or removed, as seen with the power ups and mystery box. The limitations of this ability seem to be similar to a 3D printer, only capable of manifesting designs which have been uploaded to the device’s database. In other cases, it is worthy of note, some objects heavily contaminated by 115 are also displaceable. In fact, one might imagine a repository of tools, weapons, and artifacts collected and kept available for use by the controller of the MPD. 

We see examples of this in Samantha’s inability to stop Richtofen during his quest to gather the various artifacts needed for his grand scheme, as well as being helpless to keep from being replaced by him in the MPD. Richtofen encountered the same encumbrance in BO2, needing the assistance of the N4 to help him exterminate Maxis from the Griffin Station computer network.

Perhaps the final known power possessed by the controller of the MPD is the ability to transfer their consciousness into a target. This target can be either undead, as in the case of Richtofen’s fate when Maxis defeats him with the N4’s assistance, or living, as was seen with Richtofen’s possession of Stulingher, which, as we saw, may not work out exceptionally comfortably for the target or the controller.

If you took the time to read this 1500 word treatise, thank you, and congratulations! If you have anything to contribute that I have forgotten, let me know, and I will definitely consider adding it in, provided it has strong support.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Could it be possible if two MPD's exist? (some think that because of the castle in Eisendrache is named Griffin Castle, like Griffin Station)

If this would be, I wonder what happens when two different persons with different plans are in the MPD's.

Or do you think the existence of two MPD's is impossible?

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Could it be possible if two MPD's exist? (some think that because of the castle in Eisendrache is named Griffin Castle, like Griffin Station)

If this would be, I wonder what happens when two different persons with different plans are in the MPD's.

Or do you think the existence of two MPD's is impossible?

Personally, I hope not. I believe that would be lazy on Treyarch's part. But yes, I believe it's possible because there is no indication that the MPD has any view of other dimensions. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

Personally, I hope not. I believe that would be lazy on Treyarch's part. But yes, I believe it's possible because there is no indication that the MPD has any view of other dimensions. 

Same for me, I hope not.

But since Griffin Castle is in the Giant/ german iron cross dimention and Griffin Station is in the waw/bo1/Tranzit/Die Rise/Burried/ nazi cross dimention, it could be possible two MPDs exist in two different dimentions without any influence of each other.

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Same for me, I hope not.

But since Griffin Castle is in the Giant/ german iron cross dimention and Griffin Station is in the waw/bo1/Tranzit/Die Rise/Burried/ nazi cross dimention, it could be possible two MPDs exist in two different dimentions without any influence of each other.

Exactly. Hey, gotta say, kudos, and thanks for reading the post! 

I've read half of it at the moment but I had to just say, this is amazing. Absolutely amazing. Even I didn't think of Richtofen purposely sabotaging Maxis, not sure if it was well known (I never heard of it) but its a brilliant idea and I think I properly understand the Der Riese timeline now. Also I think you should include or look into one of the Giant radios. It is one that I am sure was meant to be from Der Riese and not the other central dimension like the others, where Maxis says that Richtofen is going mad by claiming the test subjects (this could explain where Tank, Takeo, Nikolai and the Mexican (who would be alive at this point, I am pretty sure I matched up the dates correctly)) had been teleported through time. So it is after touching the MPD, Richtofen could have intentionally sent them somewhere else because I think the voices in his head aren't his insanity but in actually the voices of the great evil, to firstly help his plans and because the voices told him too so that the O4 wouldn't find them. Thats just a theory. Also maybe you could mention how Maxis got teleported to Shangri La? I am sure he did, I have a post on it.

The one problem I have with the post is the part about the MPD reviving people from the dead. The Die Rise intro is not an example of that, it shows the time loop that spans across all of the zombies story, through realities and more. I thought the time loop was common knowledge by now, but if its not and you need to know more about what it is just tell me.

Otherwise dude, I think you are close to doing something nobody else really has. Its like you've cracked open the story in a huge way and could resolve so much. I would love to see you do the kind of thing MMX did where you try to document the entire story, although maybe in post format mostly but basically in the same way you have documented this theory. I would love to know if you were interested in doing something like that, I'm not good at explaining stuff in this (literally the most in depth explanation of anything in zombies ever) way, but I think I know enough about things like the time loop and basically the BO3 arc of zombies, I just can't explain it.

Again, amazing post, I have read it all now. Seriously put a big wide grin on my face.

• Administrators

@Nightmare Voyager Made my day, man! Thanks!

That Maxis radio...yes, fascinating, that. I'll probably add that in my post on the Nature of the Aether, as this one is dedicated to the MPD (though I admittedly got sidetracked a number of times). But I believe that radio is one of the most valuable pieces of intel ever.

And I agree about Maxis and Shangri-La, I was just trying to rush through the lead-up history and get right to the MPD and its workings. Haha! So much detail-this is why I so rarely write.

HAHA! Can't believe I forgot the damn time loop again. Removing the 'revive' section, as you've reminded me how debatable that is. We've talked about this before. :facepalm: lol

And I've thought of doing a full story so many times, I just end up like a cat in a ball of yarn every time I try. Or perhaps like a comical version of Frodo in Shelob's lair. But perhaps I shall try again.

@anonymous did you think so? Awesome. Mission accomplished. This is why I am here. :)

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2016 at 2:11 AM, Nightmare Voyager said:

So it is after touching the MPD, Richtofen could have intentionally sent them somewhere else because I think the voices in his head aren't his insanity but in actually the voices of the great evil, to firstly help his plans and because the voices told him too so that the O4 wouldn't find them.

It is possible that Richtofen had close contact with 115 during his multiple experiments with Maxis. Like Samuel Stulingher ingesting flesh from zombies, Richtofen could have the same concentration (maybe slightly less). Could he have a voice inside his head, telling him what to do? Maybe the 'Overlords'? It's a stretch, but it would make sense of how he knows the locations of so many powerful artifacts. 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

You say the person in the MPD can place things, like powerups and the box. Is it also possible that he can place zombies? In BO1 there appear zombies around the O4 everywhere they go. Is that because all the places they go to are Group 935 stations or 115 mines, all with 115 infected bodies, or is this because Samantha places the zombies around them?

15 hours ago, anonymous said:

You say the person in the MPD can place things, like powerups and the box. Is it also possible that he can place zombies? In BO1 there appear zombies around the O4 everywhere they go. Is that because all the places they go to are Group 935 stations or 115 mines, all with 115 infected bodies, or is this because Samantha places the zombies around them?

For the instances where we see the undead at the locations we visit in World at War and Black Ops 1; deposits, or at the very least the presence of Element 115, are the source of the zombies. For example, the zombies are present at Shi No Numa because of the 115 asteroid causing the Imperial Soldiers to turn. I'll put the other causes in a spoiler. 

Spoiler

- Nacht Der Untoten caused by the aircraft carrying Element 115, turning soldiers

- Verrückt caused by the testing of Element 115, turning soldiers/test subjects

- Shi No Numa caused my an Element 115 asteroid, turning soldiers

- Der Riese caused by testing of the Element, turning soldiers/test subjects

- Kino Der Toten caused by testing, turning soldiers/test subjects

- Five caused by testing, turning the scientists, office employees and soldiers

- Ascension caused by testing, turning the scientists and soldiers

- Call of the Dead caused by testing, turning the scientists and explorers

- Shangri La caused by mining Element 115, turning the villiagers and miners

- Moon caused by Element 115 asteroids hitting the Moon, turning dead bodies used to fill the MPD

Basically wherever the crew travels in those two games, there is always some form of Element 115 that causes a localised outbreak. 

Black Ops 2 is a different story. The places the Tranzit Crew travel to are already infested by zombies. We are no longer dealing with local outbreaks, but in actuality, we are dealing with an outbreak of global proportions. This is caused by the 3 rockets that we hit the Earth with in Moon. 

The other maps from Black Ops 2 have their own story as well. Nuketown was due to the test bomb having the Element inside of it. Mob of the Dead has zombies because we are in Purgatory, a place between life and death, where the Mob Crew are being punished for their sins. Of course the outbreak during the Great War in Origins is localised, due to the earth around the Excavation Site containing 115. 

I believe that in Black Ops 3, not including Shadows of Evil (as the outbreak there is caused by the Shadow Man's curse on Morg City), that the instances thus far where we encounter the undead are caused by local outbreaks caused by testing on the Element. 

So to answer your question, the entity in control of the MPD can, in turn, control the undead. They cannot, however, place and create them as they please.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

The following picture showed up in Classified:

f0f37d9b82be530fad119603aa4bc0c4.png

Broken Arrow is trying to recreate the Moon Transference Device. Did they succeed to establish a stable link between Griffin Station and Groom Lake? It apparently seems so. I'm gonna guess that McNamara and Pernell wanted to recreate this Aetherial Vril Pyramid to weapons against Samantha....or to claim power their selves.

McNamara: And my contacts on the ground now confirm it. On October 28th, the entity known as Samantha attacked an abandoned theater in Berlin. This marks her first attack in nine years. The location she chose is interesting. In 1940, the German High Command repurposed it as a Group 935 facility, that makes this the third Group 935 operation that's Samantha has targeted. The Berlin incident has forced us to reevaluate the recent Pentagon outbreak. We had previously assumed it was a contained affair but must now acknowledge the possibility that Samantha played a role. I've made arrangements for the President and Castro to discuss the Broken Arrow initiative. If Samantha poses as greater threat as it seems we must put aside our differences, no nation alone can defeat her. An alliance must be formed, we must reach across the metaphorical aisle. The meeting will be held here the Pentagon in the coming days. Dick will be joining us... for some reason, Jack requested he attend. Regretfully, I'm forced to admit that Pernell was perhaps correct. If we use the Broken Arrow initiative to harness the power of this Element 115, we could build a better world and be prepared for war with this Samantha. I've given Roebuck the coordinates of the Berlin incident for safekeeping, he'll log them along with all the others

Now I'm not going into the reason why or how right now. I wonder if it would be scientifically possibly for two MPD's to exist. What's more, in the same dimension.

Facing defeat the corrupted Keepers hide the Aether Pyramid on a moon within one of the newly discovered  dimensions.

So there always was only 1 MPD. The reason why we see one in Der Eisendrache is because this is a fracture of the Original Universe, and not a different dimension. This MPD is in fact the same as the one we see in BO1 Moon. So there always was only one pyramid. 

Not gonna say that it happened, but what if Broken Arrow succeed in creating another one. How would this work? Two announcers? And how far does the power of an MPD actually get? From fresh intel we know Global Polarization Devices are needed to gain full power over Earth...in only one universe. And that while the Timeline says the following:

The corrupted Keepers create the Aether Pyramid a device capable of absolute power.

If that was the case, how could the Apothicans have lost their war against the Keepers?

@NaBrZHunter?

• Administrators

Top-notch intel and theorizing @anonymous!

It has always interested me that the activity within then DE MPD is almost more ghostly and subtle than in the original Moon. That would make sense, considering how Samantha is very possibly only in one universe. Perhaps the original, and presumably, trapped inside Richtofen’s body, though the point at which Richtofen returns again is still uncertain. I have to agree, however, that the idea that all the BO3 maps are fracture universes absolutely makes more sense now. 

I would think that “absolute power” is a conditional term that refers to its absolute power over *certain* things, to begin with. As far as the Apothicons having been defeated by the Keepers, if you refer to the first Great War, that was prior to the MPD (if I recall correctly - not to be captain obvious). But mostly I would support the idea that “absolute power” is a conditional statement, especially since what constitutes power is contingent to the circumstances. 

• Administrators

Great stuff @anonymous! ?

Regarding how the Keepers could've lost...how could the Shadownman - the original harbinger of doom - and a race of dark, powerful creatures lose to four humans who weren't wielding ancient staffs or anything to aid them besides guns? Guess having powers from the Dark Aether isn't totally powerful after all. 

@NaBrZHunter The MPD was built before the Agarthan War according to the timeline. Given that it required souls to be powered up, the corrupted Keepers likely hadn't got to that step yet. In fact, the MPD was the only connection to the Dark Aether and the soon-to-be Apothicans were banished into said aether, so they were connected but couldn't utilize the MPD.

• Moderators

@NaBrZHunter and @InfestLithium that clears some things up, thanks!

Today I was playing TranZit, and some asshole managed it to trap me and my other two fellow players in the Power Room (only she had a turbine and she had taken the zombie hand part through the electrical door, leaving it unable to open by us). So I kinda had plenty of time observating the room...and the purpose of it. 

I remember some transcripts of the Timeline:

April 10, 2025

Broken Arrow creates the Denizens.

July 8, 2025

Broken Arrow accidentally creates the Avogadro.

What always intrigued me is the word "accidentally" in the creating of the Avogadro, a word that isn't placed there accidentally (pun not intended) since it isn't there in the transcript about the creation of the Denizens. So Broken Arrow ACCIDENTALLY created the Avogadro.

Did any of you ever see the similarity between the Green Run Power Room and the Griffin Station MPD Room? The central structure, connected with technology, and the circular device above. What if Broken Arrow finished their Aetherial Vril Pyramid Prototype and the Avogadro is the failed product of it. They created it accidentally, turning the testsubject into an Electric Man with limited powers over the sky (he can control weather and electricity), actually being a prisoner of the Aether. Victis free him with nothing else left in the remnants of his mind than anger and revenge.

A argument against this, however, is how easy Victis can free him: Simply turn on the switch. Ultimis had a whole other deal with freeing Samantha back on the Moon...

1 hour ago, anonymous said:

Did any of you ever see the similarity between the Green Run Power Room and the Griffin Station MPD Room? 

Ever noticed the exact copy of Tranzit Pack-a-Punch room from the FIVE labs? 

Even the outer zombies spawn rooms (through the boarded windows) are the same.

Good spot on the MPD room. Never really noticed that. Somewhere it says about the room being built by the Americans? (or was it Groph & Schuster?)

• Moderators
4 hours ago, PINNAZ said:

Ever noticed the exact copy of Tranzit Pack-a-Punch room from the FIVE labs? 

Even the outer zombies spawn rooms (through the boarded windows) are the same.

No I didn't knew that (funny to keep in mind the Five labs were actually based on the labs in Rebirth Island, BO Campaign). I guess that does exclude the Denizen cages right? It's an interesting fact for sure

4 hours ago, PINNAZ said:

Good spot on the MPD room. Never really noticed that. Somewhere it says about the room being built by the Americans? (or was it Groph & Schuster?)

You mean the Americans built the MPD room? I assume it was Griffin Station who created it but you bring up an entire new idea. What if Group 935 never completely finished Griffin Station. What if it was Broken Arrow who completed the moonbase, including the large MTD above the MPD, and the computers around it (since the first computer dates from AFTER World War II). Maybe the MPD blueprint was not of a recreated one but of the original, being investigated and connected with technology by the Americans. That's an interesting thought

Archived