"TheGiant" Cipher

JustSavage05

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nieno69 Yeah that's the Living Dead cipher. I got this from the "The Giant" Library post:

• Location: Through fence on the wall opposite Perk Machine location (Der Riese Jugger-Nog location)
  • Taken from A History of Secret Societies

And I see what you mean about the writing in the lower right corner on the stone. I think that may be part of the sniper scope. If you look at the lower left corner, you can see something similar above the yellow hexagon. It would be nice if someone could confirm this hunch though.

@Nieno69

The writing on the wall is the "Living Dead" Cipher. It is originally part of the larger wall writing first seen on the 2nd ever Zombies map Verruckt. (more in the Verruckt Library)

LivingDead_zpsd2907d37.png

zombie_scribbles_c_zps3e6a8cf0.png

In "The Giant", if you are looking directly at the Trip mines (like you were going to buy them), turn 90 degrees to your right & it is on that back wall through the fence.

(sorry, I haven't even uploaded that picture yet)

And the writing that looks like it is on the sandbags is actually part of the scope as @certainpersonio pointed out.

(using this image of the SoE Pap cipher as example)

SoE%20PaP%20Cipher_zps6kxfzzyc.png

vvoSvHk.png

Regarding TheGiant cipher have been looking at Nihhilist cipher and not having any luck has anyone else tried this ?

Also does anyone understand the vic cipher process of "additive from the text" is this just picking a number from a page to get a random number or taking text and converting to numbers using a straddling checkerboard i understand its used for modular addition. Have i misunderstood the concept  obviously the additive would need to be known by encrypter and decrypter.

I've tried Nicodemus and Nihilist Transposition. I thought about the substitution variety, but I couldn't get around converting the letters to number business. It just wasn't working for me. And as for the VIC, that's how I understand it as well, although I think that sometimes they might have had a way to systematically generate the numbers. http://www.quadibloc.com/crypto/pp1324.htm

This is an example i quickly made

Encode plaintext "Orb" to base64

T3Ji

Covert base64 encoded plaintext into index numbers

19 55 09 34

Convert key "Lock" into base64 index numbers

11 40 28 36

Add these together rolling over at 63

30 32 37 07

Convert Base64 index numbers into letters

e g l H

I dont think this is the method used i just wanted to show the type of method i was thinking about.
This type of process could make the result viable  base64 because at the momment with the frequencies i just cant see it working even with substituion and transposition.
Is there any other methods like this anybody knows of that maybe could shift the frequencies ?

Thoughts on how to vary it up:

• Nicodemus cipher: combines a transposition and a Vigenere substitution. Again, doesn't specifically work with numbers, but could think about how to apply it?
  • Fractionation: this is the splitting of the numbers that comes with bifid and triffid. Not sure why this would specifically work in this case though
  • Autokey: Use the key as a primer. Surprise, not usually used with numbers though. 
  • Switching between ASCII and Base64: If you using base64, try the numbers in ASCII and vice versa. Definitely just spitballing here...

Alright, so I posted to reddit here (https://www.reddit.com/r/codes/comments/48hym8/base64_cipher_is_there_such_a_thing/) and someone linked me here (Ignore the top tweet..)

Here you can see 001 and 00? (I think it's 0). Thanks to babtras on Reddit for pointing this out. Think this could be something! My first thought is that there are 6 binary numbers - base64 is based on 6 bit characters translated from 8 bit ASCII text. It also translates (if we are using 6-bit binary) to the number 8. This could mean that me need to move 8 places in the alphabet, flip the text and then translate from base64 to ascii. I'll check it out right now, but definitely think these bits have a big impact on deciphering this!

11 minutes ago, certainpersonio said:

@Vincent_ I could be convinced that TheGiant isn't a key, but perhaps a clue. Not sure specifically how you would use the roman numerals in the cipher though. Do you have an idea how to apply it?

If TheGiant isn't, I would be more convinced that it was Waffenfrabrik or DerRiese

Wouldn't CMXXXV be applied instead of where THEGIANT would've been in a ciphering?  I might have my terms mixed up, but then again now that i look at it, THEGIANT has 8 letters like DER RIESE  and could be the key word.  I dunno, I do puzzles and such for fun, usually don't have a problem solving them, but this one has me all over the place. So in typical nerd sense, I don't mind doing the grunt work to figure this one out. :D

and on a side note, call me nuts, but i think the 4th dlc will have the kn-44 be a new DG weapon. Look at the photo, 4 solar systems, 4 edges on a square, a kn-44 and i think it has to do with pac-a-punch being the wormhole.  Cause where do the guns go after you upgrade them and don't get them?  I've been throwing Kn-44's in pac a punch all day, but nothing happened.  I have a few other ideas, but I'd need more people.  P.S. that was a side note!

• 2 weeks later...

@certainpersonio @Shootinfish

This could also be a alberti cipher

There are 2 alphabets... uppercase and lowercase...

Maybe the same procedure like i Post at the castle cipher....

What do you mean?

If it's an uppercase letter in the cipher you use the lowercase in plain and vice versa...

Numbers are maybe 0-5 upper and 6-9 + / in the lowercase... 

Thougths?

Edit: I worked it out a bit with "Standard" alphabet it could be like this:

ABCDEFGHJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ012345 (no uppercase i ...maybe there is no 0 ?) Makes 31

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz6789/ makes 31

the key:

tuvwxyz6789/abcdefghijklmnopqrs
hijklmnopqrstuvwxyz6789/abcdefg
efghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz6789/abcd
ghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz6789/abcdef
ijklmnopqrstuvwxyz6789/abcdefgh
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz6789/
nopqrstuvwxyz6789abcdefghijklmn
tuvwxyz6789/abcdefghijklmnopqrs

• 2 weeks later...

First, @Nieno69 I've gotten busy so I haven't really looked too deeply into alberti ciphers yet. However, I'm adding them to my list of things to research this week.

Second, I wanted to get some other people's opinions on an idea I've had about the ciphers on TG. So the two ciphers that have been solved have used a barcode and the periodic table of elements. Now, neither of these are "classical ciphers" so it makes me wonder if this is a theme for TG as a whole. As further evidence I would say that TheGiant cipher seems like it might have base64 alphabet, and so far has not yielded to any classical cipher I've tried.

So to neatly summarize that point, do you think the other ciphers on TG are "non-classical" ciphers?

Now, I'm not actually that good at codes and such, and I'm just spit-balling here... But this code was found upside down yes? Perhaps it is secretly right side up? 

kCmlgFi6GUJNI1Q41fbfyLoCFTCvlqkZil0KIAXAzP1U1uy1BE4U

fPBfpKmmL0bjYnQNRBaPtKiVWzc5A4v0w3xle8F0hAGJZ7g4in0wn

dJxM0v03dc1M82at2T6935roTqyWDgtGD/hwwRF3oHqFM5Vcw1

JtINbsgWRm404/quEDkZ7x1B275bX3/Fo1

This is the code for easy copy-paste text purposes. 

Some things I noticed about it: 

-It contains not only numbers and letters, but slashes as well although they might not be actually part of the cipher, but merely there for the structure of the sentence. Likewise it appears capital letters also serve a purpose. 

-There is no real way to prove what's a zero and what's an O. This is frustrating because at the bottom, you see 4o4, which is lowercase O which looks a LOT like a zero. Unless there's such thing as a capital number, that's ridiculous though.

-Twice does the cipher use more then 2 numbers consecutively: 

-6935 (3rd line) NOTE: 6- 935- might be a reference to that, or a coincidence. 

-275 (4th line)

The cipher will commonly use sets of lowercase and Upper case letters. 

That's all I can do to help sadly...

This is good! I would like to add on to your list if you don't mind - Most of the time, Base64 includes a-z, A-Z, 0-9, as well as / and +, thus most of these are contained within the ciphertext, which made me think that it simply is a b64 conversion, but as of right now a simple conversion is not the correct route. I do however think that this is Base64 or some form of it (:

56 minutes ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

It could end up being two codes.

Yeah, I feel like it could be, especially since one of the words in the other map's cipher included a double encrypted word...That is going to get nasty fast though. We thought for a while that it was some kind of incrementer or transposition key, but again, nothing has worked thus far. 

Archived