Can't train in The Giant

Anyone else hate this map? Like you can't even train in the later rounds because its so hard to do it. Plus every time i get it down i get screw over by some stupid glitch that cause me to stop moving. You can see for yourself on the videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64v5ao0lV2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpfHvs6LUpA

Edited by visualkeirockstar
Just now, visualkeirockstar said:

yeah on BO1, BO3 is way different.

No I said the Giant, I consider it a different map to Der Riese. It is very easy to train on. I have never had any trouble, its the exact same layout as Der Riese thus the same training.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2015 at 2:03 AM, visualkeirockstar said:

Anyone else hate this map? Like you can't even train in the later rounds because its so hard to do it. Plus every time i get it down i get screw over by some stupid glitch that cause me to stop moving. You can see for yourself on the videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64v5ao0lV2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpfHvs6LUpA

That second clip shows the infamous invisible barrel barrier.  It was there in WaW too.

• Like 1

Yea I have had to mix up my strategy on the Giant. If you don't like holding the catwalk, or the alley, then I suggest doing one of two things.

1. Run half of the map- Start moving before you see zombies spawn, move up the furnace stairs, walk to the drop off near the bridge that is active when power is turned on, you can usually stand here a few seconds and get a few kills. When you feel in danger, drop down and head towards teleporter C, go up the stairs to the catwalk and stand near the drop off, again, kill until you feel in danger and drop off, stay to the right side (where the power switch is) and head towards the furnace room, repeat the steps. It's sort of like the Kino strategy where you use half the map.

2. Leave the door that links the garage to the furnace room closed, and run loops in the furnace room, with that door closed it's 100% easier. I don't know whats up because that's the only way I can train the furnace now, and it used to be my favorite place in Der Riese.

The first strategy is SLOOOOOW, but effective, might be good practice until you can find a smaller room to train in.

• Administrators

With the new Zombies AI system, training in the usual spots is 3x harder than before. I used to run my circles near the power switch area with a breeze back in the day; however, it's hard to do in The Giant without getting triple swiped (making it lethal to even so much as touch a corner).

If you want a definite training safe spot, I'd advise to run the lower floor of Lab C and have a few friends occupy the catwalk & tunnel.

If you're playing Solo, you're gonna had a bad time.

You have to let go of your pre-conceived notion of "Training". Everything is different now. It's much easier to cross-map train than single-location train. 

Although all in all, I find that the best way to play is to camp on the catwalk. It's worked for years and you can get into the 40s before you have any real issues. With multiple players up there you're practically invincible with turned, blast furnace, and thunderwall equipped. I recommend the KN44 for quick and easy amo, and at least one player have the wonder-waffe. 

However, it is TOTALLY possible to train in the giant, I do it in a figure-8 rotation in the spawn room all the time. Start on the teleporter, let em up, dodge past them, slide down, up the stairs to the right, leap over the edge (risky part you MAY consider running AROUND the fence instead if it's a little crowded.), make  a loop, and end back up near the teleporter. Once you've got enough zombies chasing you steady, start picking them off 1 by 1 so not to be overwhelmed. I recommend the Vesper and a shotgun of preference. 

In fact if you REALLY want to do something cool, keep running between spawn and a teleporter and just SPAM the hell out of them, using the electricity to kill off whole packs. Of course you need to earn at least 1500 points during your run for it to work, but on high rounds that's very do-able. 

Then there's the TRAPS you can't forget to use every now and then. They are by FAR the best method on high rounds. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have my own take on this:

With the new "great" mechanic where

if(slapped)

{

sprint = false;

}

in combination with dogs makes it hard to train

Aka you get slapped once from behind while your training  you stop running try to run again same thing happens then you try to run again but you randomly crouch as a result of this you die.

Also indeed same spot training became harder because of the way zombies work now. Even more so how they respawn.

For example i like to use the thompson room on the giant but i'm not going to stay in there when its round 20+

• 2 months later...
On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Floryzzz said:

I have my own take on this:

With the new "great" mechanic where

if(slapped)

{

sprint = false;

}

in combination with dogs makes it hard to train

Aka you get slapped once from behind while your training  you stop running try to run again same thing happens then you try to run again but you randomly crouch as a result of this you die.

Also indeed same spot training became harder because of the way zombies work now. Even more so how they respawn.

For example i like to use the thompson room on the giant but i'm not going to stay in there when its round 20+

Yeah, this was probably it as you'd slow down SO much when you got slapped - they changed it last month and running trains is much easier now.

The catwalk is the best strategy but it's soooo boring doing it over and over, and if you're on solo, you start running into ammo issues on round 40 even if you try to preserve it.

Those damn dogs are the reason training is hard. You can avoid them to some extent by using the trap but at some point, usually in the 30s, they will screw you. You can't simply let zombies build up, you have to keep turning round and shoot the 10 dogs that are biting you like there's  no tomorrow. No biggie right? Wrong, as soon as you turn your back a zombie will trap you.

Sliding can get you killed too I hate those times where you get stuck in a crouch position.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually find training quite easy on The Giant. I always train near the power (I've heard it's not the best spot but works for me). I find it almost easier than in BO1 or maybe I'm overall better player now. You should have some kind of "clear the way" weapon like upgraded haymaker which can clear the zombies if you're about to get stuck.

I find even Teleporter C to be super tight on The Giant, so camping is honestly the way forward. 

Regarding cross map training, I really have to disagree. Zombies despawn the second you get slightly ahead of them in this map. I've had zombies despawn from the power switch trap when I was at the original Speed Cola spawn

The zombies definitely spawn in much different ways than in the previous installments of this map. Yet all of the old training spots are still able to be run. Running trains in the Courtyard, the lower floor of the Lab C room, the Garage and the Pack-a-Punch Courtyard is still possible, you just need to play extremely safe. However I advise to not use the latter of those examples when you reach the higher rounds. 

Your loadout should consist of a high-powered weapon such as the Brecci or the Haymaker. Light Machine Guns, although powerful, lack the fast reloads of the shotguns as well as the base movement speed. Either of these should use Blast Furnace as the Re-Packed attachment. Also, obviously the Ray Gun should be your secondary weapon. The only real problem this brings is the splash damage, which shouldn't be a problem unless you get cornered, in which case you should spam your Re-Packed weapon and hope for an Alternate Ammo Type. The WunderWaffe is practically useless this time around as the arcing electricity takes a long time to take effect which lets the zombies still hit you so it is terrible if you get cornered.

Basically, timing is key, as it has been in all zombies modes. If for example you are in the main courtyard and wanting to cross over, keep an eye out for the larger gaps between the zombies. If there isn't a gap, make one.  Also remember sliding is available in zombies. Stampin’ Up would make sliding through trains easy, but it isn't a necessity. At the end of the day, a careful eye will let you slip right past the zombies and live another day.

• Like 1
On 1/3/2016 at 1:28 PM, yourmapper said:

That second clip shows the infamous invisible barrel barrier.  It was there in WaW too.

BTW, that invisible barrel barrier is fixed now.  Not sure if I had anything to do with it because it's been reported numerous times by different players in every iteration of the map.  But I was in contact with Activision's support about this issue earlier this year.  We had a bit of back and forth, and I supplied them with a good number of video links demonstrating players getting hung up on that barrel.  I didn't know if this effort would ever get anywhere, but at least I knew they were listening and acknowledging that the bug exists.  Then in the next update patch I noticed the invisible barrier issue was fixed.  Hooray! The maps finally playable for me again.

- Mix

• Like 5
On 24/04/2016 at 5:00 PM, Doppelgänger said:

The zombies definitely spawn in much different ways than in the previous installments of this map. Yet all of the old training spots are still able to be run. Running trains in the Courtyard, the lower floor of the Lab C room, the Garage and the Pack-a-Punch Courtyard is still possible, you just need to play extremely safe. However I advise to not use the latter of those examples when you reach the higher rounds. 

Your loadout should consist of a high-powered weapon such as the Brecci or the Haymaker. Light Machine Guns, although powerful, lack the fast reloads of the shotguns as well as the base movement speed. Either of these should use Blast Furnace as the Re-Packed attachment. Also, obviously the Ray Gun should be your secondary weapon. The only real problem this brings is the splash damage, which shouldn't be a problem unless you get cornered, in which case you should spam your Re-Packed weapon and hope for an Alternate Ammo Type. The WunderWaffe is practically useless this time around as the arcing electricity takes a long time to take effect which lets the zombies still hit you so it is terrible if you get cornered.

Basically, timing is key, as it has been in all zombies modes. If for example you are in the main courtyard and wanting to cross over, keep an eye out for the larger gaps between the zombies. If there isn't a gap, make one.  Also remember sliding is available in zombies. Stampin’ Up would make sliding through trains easy, but it isn't a necessity. At the end of the day, a careful eye will let you slip right past the zombies and live another day.

All decent advice, but the thing that was causing the difficulty - being slowed down to a crawl's pace when you got hit - has now been removed via patch and you now only get slowed down a little. Training everywhere is easier now :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2016 at 8:21 PM, ZombiesAteMyPizza! said:

All decent advice, but the thing that was causing the difficulty - being slowed down to a crawl's pace when you got hit - has now been removed via patch and you now only get slowed down a little. Training everywhere is easier now :)

This. This right here. It is WAY easier to run the giant, and all other maps for that matter, than it was when the game first came out