Shadows of Evil: Telephone Calls

PINNAZ

I made these video's for the Zombies Library & found the Telephone Calls really interesting with great back-story which I thought deserves it's own thread.

Firstly, I think the guy talking in the 4 characters videos is named "Mr. Rapt" (possibly short for "Rapture"?) but this may be incorrect. He is really - Shadowman

Overall, all of these Telephone calls are really interesting, as they show that each of the 4 playable characters were mislead into killing & sacrificing their colleagues, when really all of the stories were lies, set-up by "Mr Rapt." - Shadowman. 

• Nero's wife didn't forge his signature & take out loan agreements
  • Jack Vincent's Partner didn't sell him out
  • Floyd Campbell's Promoter did organise a Title Fight
  • Jessica Rose's Producer got her a role in a Broadway Musical

Conclusion ~ None of them had to Kill in the first place. It was all a fabrication of lies, set up by Mr Rapt - Shadowman

The Reporter & Mr. Rapt

Located in each Train Station is a Telephone that rings once you have caught the train from one station to another. 
They can be activated in any order & will always play the same consecutive message.

They are all from a reporter who is gathering information on the 4 playable characters for a man known as "Mr Rapt" (Shadowman)

Mr Rapt then contacts each of the playable characters colleagues, tricking them by making out they are in trouble, which causes the four playable characters to kill & also sacrifice their colleagues too.

Transcripts taken from Tac's thread ~ Transcripts of Zombies Radios, Journals, Cinematics, and Letters

[Train Station Phone Call 1] Reporter: Hey Mr. Rapt, just checking in. So, I'm here, finally, taking in the sights, sounds and smells of Morg City. I know you sent me here to write a piece about the city's bustling nightlife and theater scene, and the characters that inhabit it, but things are gettin' kinda strange. Even though no one seems to wants to talk about it, something is definitely off about this city. Just last week there was a meteor shower, a freakin' meteor shower! And everybody acted like it was no big thing. Then, the mold showed up, all over the city. In the dark, damp alleys, there's a strange kind of fungus growing. It looks weird, and smells even weirder, but nobody's really said anything. Then people started getting sick. At first it just made them delirious... confused. Then they really got sick. It was like they were wasting away. People finally started talking about it. I spoke to one guy in his 80s, a fruit seller, at a local market. He said a similar thing happened in New England in 1882. When I tried to press him on it, he just lowered his head and ignored me. If you ask me, something definitely ain't right here.

[Train Station Phone Call 2] Reporter: Hey Mr. Rapt. So, I went by the market again today. For some reason, the fruit seller was much more talkative, even if what he said was more than a little crazy. He told me that when he was a boy, his uncle would get drunk and start talking about how a 'dark force' cast its shadow over the city. How good and evil were battling right on our doorstep, and that the only holding back the forces of the apocalypse was.. The Ancient Order of the Keepers. Well, even if what he said was more than a little crazy, I'm not sure he was. Even though they're scared, or maybe because they are, people are talking more. Asking around, I've heard more than a few whispers about this Ancient Order and the Keepers. I think it's some kind of cult. They say you can hear them chanting sometimes, from beneath the city. There's all these rumors about human sacrifice and freaky shit that even the police won't investigate. Because they've been paid off, or because they're too damn scared? I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

[Train Station Phone Call 3] Reporter: Hey Mr. Rapt. So I tracked down all the people you asked me to look into. I sent you a telegram of all their details, all their contact numbers. But I gotta be honest... I'm gettin' nervous. These last six months you've had me working like a *inaudible* private dick, when really I just wanna be a reporter. It's not that I'm ungrateful, I know the cheques you've given me are more than generous for services rendered. It's just.. all the stuff you've had me do - tracking down ancient artifacts in the South Pacific, finding all these strange metals and rocks in Russia - yet still, I haven't even met ya face-to-face! I'm sorry Mr. Rapt, I think maybe the mood in the city has given me a little... it's making me nervous, antsy. Anyway, I'm looking forward to you finally getting here.

=================================

Nero's Lawyer & Mr. Rapt

To play both of these Phone Calls, you must activate the Telephone in the Junction, Perform Nero's Ritual, then you can activate the phone in Nero's Landing.

Nero's Lawyer receives a phone call from (presumably) Mr Rapt informing him that Nero's wife has taken out large loan agreements. 

Nero then kills his wife & sacrifices his Lawyer, when in fact, Mr Rapt was the one who faked the loan documents.

Transcripts taken from Tac's thread ~ Transcripts of Zombies Radios, Journals, Cinematics, and Letters

Location ~ Junction

[Junction Phone Call]

Mr. Rapt:  As you can see, these documents give some indication as to the considerable amounts of money we are talking about.
Nero's Lawyer:  My client would never have signed the authorization on these loans!
Mr. Rapt:  Nonetheless, there it is, in black and white, signed by the Mrs. herself.
Nero's Lawyer:  Nero's family estate is not what it once was.  Even if these documents are genuine, we'll need some time to get our affairs in order.
Mr. Rapt:  I would advise your client that our company intends to aggressively pursue settlement, within one week.  Fifteen days, at the most.
Nero's Lawyer:  Look I need to make a call, my secretary will see you out.

Location ~ Nero's Landing

[Nero's Landing Phone Call]

Nero's Lawyer:  Nero, I have the most wonderful news!  The loan documents were fraudulent!  Well, your wife was fraudulent. She forged your signature on the loan agreements, and we can prove it!  The date on the forms says November 5th, last year.  Exactly the same time you were in the hospital following your performance of the Amphibious Man!  You couldn't possibly have signed those papers, you were in a coma for the entire month!

Jack Vincent's Partner & Mr. Rapt

To play both of these Phone Calls, you must activate the Telephone in Canal High Street, Perform Jack's Ritual, then you can activate the phone in the Ruby Rabbit.

Jack's Partner receives a phone call from (presumably) Mr Rapt asking questions if Jack is taking bribes. 

Jack then kills & sacrifices his partner, when in fact, Mr Rapt was the one who sold Jack out.

Location ~ Canal High Street

[Canal High Street Phone Call]

Mr. Rapt: Please understand that you yourself are not under any suspicion at this time.
Jack's Partner: Yeah yeah, I know, can we just cut to the chase?
Mr. Rapt: The chase? Excellent metaphor. Or is it an allegory, I can never remember the difference.
Jack's Partner: You wanna know about my partner, Jack Vincent.
Mr. Rapt: You're a good detective.
Jack's Partner: So what do you want to know? That he's a loudmouth, a showoff, more than a little rough around the edges?  That he's a drinker, smoker?  How about the fact that he's got a wife that scares him more than any fucking criminal out there?  What do you want me to tell you?
Mr. Rapt:: Is Jack Vincent on the take.
Jack's Partner: Listen, the more I talk to you, the more I'll get a reputation around the precinct.  Can we maybe do this elsewhere?

Location ~ Ruby Rabbit

[Ruby Rabbit Phone Call]

Jack's Partner: Hey Jackie it's me.  Some suit came by from Internal Affairs today, asking a whole bunch of questions.  I didn't say shit, 'cause I don't know shit.  As far as I can tell, you're in the clear.  I trust you Jackie, you're my best friend.  You're like a brother.  I just want you to know I got your back.  Always.

Floyd Campbell's Promoter & Mr. Rapt

To play both of these Phone Calls, you must activate the Telephone in Waterfront High Street, Perform Floyd's Ritual, then you can activate the phone in the Anvil Boxing Gym.

Floyd's Promoter receives a phone call from (presumably) Mr Rapt questioning why Floyd is fighting instead of the promoters #1 fighter, saying that he has a vested interest & trying to protect the #1 fighter from losing. Floyd was on good odds from the bookies if he won, so he uses knuckle dusters to win convincingly. 

Floyd kills his opponent using knuckle dusters & sacrifices his Promoter, when in fact, Mr Rapt set up this fight. 

Floyd already had a Title fight organised.

Location ~ Waterfront High Street

[Waterfront High Street Phone Call]

Mr. Rapt: Putting aside your enormous self-interest as a promoter, what would you like to say to boxing fans everywhere about the upcoming fight, particularly with regard to this last-minute substitution, uh, Floyd Campbell?
Floyd's Promoter: I'd like to say that Floyd Campbell is a credible opponent, despite how the bookies may see it.
Mr. Rapt: What about the fact that fans would much rather see the number one contender facing off with the champion, your champion, as opposed to this little heard of, journeyman fighter?
Floyd's Promoter: Look, there's no doubt that Floyd Campbell is the underdog, nevertheless.
Mr. Rapt: Are you using Campbell to keep your big moneymaker away from opponents who could be just a little too dangerous?
Floyd's Promoter: The champ doesn't avoid anyone.
Mr. Rapt: But-
Floyd's Promoter: But nothin', this interview is over! No further questions!

Location ~ The Anvil

[The Anvil Boxing Gym Phone Call]

Floyd's Promoter: Hey Floyd, you did good. You kept your word, deliver the knockout. I just wanted to tell you not to worry about any fucking journalists or commission investigations.  That shit is done.  Anyways, besides setting your mind at rest, I wanted to give you the good news.  It's all set, you got it Floyd.  You got your title shot.  January 15th.

Jessica Rose's Producer & Mr. Rapt

To play both of these Phone Calls, you must activate the Telephone on the Footlight High Street Balcony , Perform Jessica's Ritual, then you can activate the phone in the Black Lace Club.

Jessica's Producer receives a phone call from (presumably) Mr Rapt offering Jessica a Movie Deal which she takes. A photographer takes revealing photos of her so she kills him. Jessica didn't know that she was also offered a role on Broadway. But she took the Movie Deal instead.

It was set up by, Mr Rapt

Location ~ Footlight Hight Street

[Footlight High Street Phone Call]

Mr. Rapt: As you know, I'm looking to cast a female lead in my new picture, and I heard that you have quite the roster of up-and-coming talent in this town.
Jessica's Producer: Can you maybe tell me a little more about what kind of woman you're lookin' for?
Mr. Rapt: I'm looking for an All-American girl, a real beauty.  I heard you may know an aspiring actress by the name of Jessica Rose?
Jessica's Producer: The Burlesque dancer? Haha, she ain't exactly peaches and cream.  More sugar and spice.
Mr. Rapt: I heard she's a real firecracker, if you know what I mean.  I'd like to meet her, give her a... scream test.
Jessica's Producer: Leave it with me, I'll get back to ya.

Location ~ Black Lace Burlesque Club

[The Black Lace Burlesque Club Phone Call] 

Jessica's Producer: Hey hey, Jessica!  A movie director came by to talk to me today, said he wanted to meet you.  I gotta be honest, I didn't get a good feeling from him.  I told him where to go, hahaha.  Well, not in so many words.  Listen, I'm glad you didn't sign that studio contract.  Truth is I'm not even much of a producer!  I'm more of a talent wrangler.  Here's the thing, my partner's written a musical that just got financing.  I know you're gonna be perfect for the lead!  This time next year, you're gonna be on Broadway baby!

All Telephone Calls [Audio Files]

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good and all but its Mr. Rat and nothing alludes to being the Shadowman, whoever he is its not the Shadowman. Also you are wrong about the phone calls, the guys phonecalls to Mr. Rat are separate to the rest of the phone calls since in those you hear others speaking such as the producer and Jessicas manager.

In the last reporter call specifically, is does sound more like Mr Rapt rather than Mr Rat. And in that call, the reporter mentions looking into people for Mr Rapt and finding all their contacts, which sounds like info you would need to set these people up like they were.  And since Shadowman's voice is in the other calls setting them up, it does seem like Mr Rapt is the Shadowman. Like getting their producer's number to try and set up a shady meeting. There's nothing definite, but that does seem to be what's going on in the messages. 

@Nightmare Voyager I don't think your comprehending the story of what is going on. Did you even watch the videos? (They are only 2-3 mins long)

All of the phone calls are related. 

Start with the 3 Reporter phone calls, that's why I put it first. 

The Reporter is hired by Mr Rapt (doesn't matter how it's spelt or pronounced, we'll probably never know) to track down & gather contact information about people. These people are - Nero's Lawyer, Jacks Partner, Floyds Promoter & Jessica's Producer. 

In the 3rd Train Station phone call, the reporter says that he sent Mr Rapt a Telegram with the contact details for the people he was seeking & he looks forward to meeting him in Morg City. (He also talks about an 80 year old fruitier that tells him all of the whacked out stories, this was probably Shadowman too as it seems to emphasize him in 2 phonecalls)

Then if you play the 4 other available phone calls, a man is contacting the playable characters assosicates (the 4 I mentioned above) setting up the situations that cause the 4 playable characters to kill. 

• Mr Rapt forged Neros wife's loan documents

• Mr Rapt sold out Jack Vincent as a corrupt cop

• Mr Rapt influenced Floyds Promoter to use Knuckle Dusters in the fight

• Mr Rapt offered Jessica a Movie Deal & revealing photographs were taken of her because she is a Berlesque Dancer

They were all set-up by Mr Rapt. 

Then you Sacrifice the playable characters colleagues. Shadow man is using them as revenge & redemption because the characters think they were the reason things went wrong. It's all set up by Mr Rapt - Shadowman. 

Notice in each of the videos during the Rituals Shadowman is present. And listen to the characters quotes just as the rituals finish. They talk about being betrayed by their colleagues.

Doing the Rituals then allows 1 more phone call per character from their colleagues (who they just sacrificed) telling them all good news. 

It's like the first phone calls never happened. It wasn't the real story. Kind of like how Ferguson tells the story in Mob of the Dead. 

Though it never directly says that Mr Rapt is the Shadowman, it's easy to see its the same person. 

Sorry this had to be this long. I hope that explains it clearer. 

@Pinnaz No thank you my earphones are broken so I guess I haven't heard all the calls in the map, I get it now though thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. Still I think it says Mr Rat, although if Rapt meant something I would probably go along with that.

• Administrators

@PINNAZ, I don't think that Mr. Rapt is The Shadowman.  In the radios, the freelance journalist tells Mr. Rapt that the locals informed him of "a 'dark force' [that] cast its shadow over the city" long ago.  Mr. Rapt seems like he's the intrigued outsider, not the Shadowman.

I believe the reporter is saying, "Mr. Rat." If he is saying that & he's looking forward to meeting him in "Morg City." That would explain why we see the plane "Icarus" from "MoTD". He's talking to Albert Arlington, aka The Weasel/Rat. 

I like this theory. Would definitely explain why they said the two were related. Now I'm going to figure out what that "Magic Book" is for in Neros place. 

Don't bash me for saying this. Just what I've thought since the map released & heard the phones when I stepped off the Tram.

@Ragdo11706 Thanks for adding your thoughts. This backstory is quite compelling to figure out. You won't get bashed here mate.

I too at first thought his name was "Mr Rat", but having the PC Audio files & listening through headphones multiple times, I am almost convinced that his name is "Mr. Rapt" & I thought that is strange, but in context, I don't think somebody that's trying to be credible would be called "Mr Rat". I think Rapt is just abbreviated for "Rapture". Considering that the Award name for completing the EE is called "Apocolypse Averted?" or something similar.

Also, I had the thought that it may be Al 'Weasel' Arlington, but in the 3 Train Phone Call, the reporter says - "All the stuff you've had me do - tracking down ancient artifacts in the South Pacific, finding all these strange metals and rocks in Russia". I don't think Weasel would know about any of that?

Which made me also question - Is it the Editor that Weasel talks about? Considering that the Reporter says "These last six months you've had me working like a private dick (investigator), when really I just wanna be a reporter."

Is Mr Rapt the Mob of the Dead Editor?

I think it could possibly be Weasel, it was Nikolai's name he heard in MotD. Why did he hear that name specifically and none of the others? In making it out of MotD, I would assume with this name stuck in his head, he would've probably tried to have tracked it down obviously leading him to Russia, becoming aware of whatever artifacts he had the reporter retrieve.

The Shadow Man aslo makes sense however as maybe he needed these 4 to kill trusted colleagues to awaken the curse mark and perform the rituals in SoE.

Also those stories told by the reporter from the Old Man are very interesting, I think there was some heavy hinting at future maps there.

On November 16, 2015 at 8:58:38 AM, PINNAZ said:

Then if you play the 4 other available phone calls, a man is contacting the playable characters assosicates (the 4 I mentioned above) setting up the situations that cause the 4 playable characters to kill. 

• Mr Rapt forged Neros wife's loan documents

• Mr Rapt sold out Jack Vincent as a corrupt cop

• Mr Rapt influenced Floyds Promoter to use Knuckle Dusters in the fight

• Mr Rapt offered Jessica a Movie Deal & revealing photographs were taken of her because she is a Berlesque Dancer

They were all set-up by Mr Rapt. 

Then you Sacrifice the playable characters colleagues. Shadow man is using them as revenge & redemption because the characters think they were the reason things went wrong. It's all set up by Mr Rapt - Shadowman. 

@PINNAZ   I have to disagree with the degree of involvement that Mr.Rapt/The Shadowman has in these events.  

I have come to agree that there is a very good chance that Mr.Rapt is the Shadowman, and that it's the same person in the all of the calls, but I think you're giving him too much credit.

I believe that in your analysis, you have focused too much on the phone calls and forgot about the information given in the Prologue.

There's not reason to believe that Mr.Rapt forget the loan documents.  As it's shown in the prologue, with numerous payment bills everywhere on Nero's desk and the punched-out picture of his wife, there's a lot of issues with her spending his money, not just the loans.  The fact the loans would've been signed while Nero was in the coma gives her motive to get whatever money of his he has left.  Also note that the lawyer says the loans were signed "November 5 of last year", implying that this was around a year ago, whilst the reporter had only been doing the detective work for Mr.Rapt for the last 6 months.  So in this case it would seem that Mr.Rapt's role would simply be putting pressure on the lawyer to put pressure on Nero to do something, before the lawyer would inevitably discover the loans were forged.

As for the Boxer, the only role Mr.Rapt seems to play is being the reporter questioning the promoter.  The phone calls and prologue clearly imply that the promoter was using Floyd to take out the No.1 contender in exchange for a title shot.  Floyd, having not fought in 18 months with no training, used the brass knuckles to guarantee the knockout.  To cover his own ass, the promoter made sure that the ref looked the other way and the commission stayed out of it.  The promoter would benefit from huge bet winnings by picking Floyd as the underdog to win, and then by having Floyd take out the No.1 contender and fight the champion instead, as it would keep his Champion safe from real competition.  I still don't understand what the phone calls are meant to say in this case, as there's not really any motive for Floyd to sacrifice the promoter.  It's not like Floyd even gave a shit about the guy he fought, so why would he sacrifice the promoter for making him use brass knuckles? (when it was Floyd's own choice to use them anyway).  

It also seems the phone calls and the prologue do not fit together perfectly.  As the promoter tells Floyd "you kept your word, delivered the knockout.", which was the deal they originally made.  And we know that the guy Floyd fought was the No.1 contender from the prologue "he may be the No.1 contender, but his career ends tonight.".  But in the first phone call Mr.Rapt is asking the promoter "wouldn't people rather see the number one contender"?  Even though Floyd would've already taken out the No.1 contender.  I guess this could just be the writer's not knowing how Boxing works but whatever :P

Now as for Jessica, I can agree that Mr.Rapt set her up with the movie deal.  But his involvement in regards to the man with the pictures is still in question.  

And with Jack Vincent, Mr.Rapt may have posed as a guy from Internal Affairs, but there was already a corruption investigation.  It is shown in the prologue and newspapers throughout the map that the mayor was cracking down on police corruption, so unless Mr.Rapt is the mayor I find it unlikely he responsible for this.  And Jack Vincent is clearly a man with a reputation, who would be in question in an investigation like this no matter what.  

What I think is happening here is the first phone calls are what the characters hear, and gives them part of the story and gives them a reason to sacrifice their respective person in the rituals.  And the second phone call is the one that they never heard.

For example:  Nero hears the first phone call between the lawyer and the bank rep (Mr.Rapt), and well I have no idea why but it makes Nero want to sacrifice the lawyer ( I guess maybe because he couldn't fix the situation??) and then the second phone call reveals the whole story that the Lawyer found out the documents were forged and it would all be okay, meaning the lawyer was innocent.

Then for Floyd, the first phone call shows an interview between Mr.Rapt as a reporter and the promoter, and I guess could make Floyd think that the promoter might back-out on him for the fight deal due to pressure from people questioning.  Then the second phone would show that the promoter did keep his word and Floyd would get his title shot.  

For Jessica, the first one would make her think that the producer sold her out to the movie deal guy and caused the situation, and then the second one would show the he didn't intend that to happen and had a broadway gig lined up for her instead (i.e. he did nothing wrong)

And for Jack, the first one would make him think that his partner may have sold him out: "can we continue this conversation elsewhere?", but then the second one shows that his partner never did and stayed true to him.  

So it seems like the second phone calls confirm the innocence of the sacrificed characters.  I'm still a little unsure about the first phone calls, I think they may just be to give us a bit more of the story or to show Mr.Rapt's involvement.  

Also note that some of my quotations are slightly paraphrased from memory so I apologize if they're not  the exact wording.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, BlindBusDrivr said:

As for the Boxer, the only role Mr.Rapt seems to play is being the reporter questioning the promoter.  The phone calls and prologue clearly imply that the promoter was using Floyd to take out the No.1 contender in exchange for a title shot.  Floyd, having not fought in 18 months with no training, used the brass knuckles to guarantee the knockout.  To cover his own ass, the promoter made sure that the ref looked the other way and the commission stayed out of it.  The promoter would benefit from huge bet winnings by picking Floyd as the underdog to win, and then by having Floyd take out the No.1 contender and fight the champion instead, as it would keep his Champion safe from real competition.  I still don't understand what the phone calls are meant to say in this case, as there's not really any motive for Floyd to sacrifice the promoter.  It's not like Floyd even gave a shit about the guy he fought, so why would he sacrifice the promoter for making him use brass knuckles? (when it was Floyd's own choice to use them anyway).  

The way I see it, Floyd's motive for killing is nearly identical to Jack's motive for killing: they didn't trust those close to them to keep their word and not rat them out.

4 hours ago, BlindBusDrivr said:

I have to disagree with the degree of involvement that Mr.Rapt/The Shadowman has in these events.  

I have come to agree that there is a very good chance that Mr.Rapt is the Shadowman, and that it's the same person in the all of the calls, but I think you're giving him too much credit.

I believe that in your analysis, you have focused too much on the phone calls and forgot about the information given in the Prologue.

I'm with you completely on this Nick.  In my thread, I said the same thing:

Spoiler

Some disagree that Mrs. Blackstone actually did forge her husband's signature and instead said that Mr. Rapt forged both signatures.  However, clearly, I disagree.  In each telephone call, we learn that the first person each character kills has done something wrong, between Jack's Partner covering for him, Floyd's contact rigging the fight, and Jessica's client taking pictures of her.  Why should we think that Mrs. Blackstone was the only one who didn't follow this trend?

It's been said that Mr. Rapt was involved in each character's plots from the very beginning, but given what I said regarding Nero Blackstone's wife, this doesn't appear to be the case.  Additionally, it's been assumed that Mr. Rapt took part in at least pushing each character to kill their associate, which may be given credence with the Blackstone and Campbell scenarios (the latter to a lesser extent).  However, it holds no empirical weight in regards to Jack Vincent and Jessica Rose.  With Vincent, one would have to show that on the same day the newspaper story ran, he found out the suit visited his partner.  This chain of events is not impossible, but there simply is no evidence to suggest that it's true.  In regards to Jessica's situation, one would have to show her producer's meeting with Mr. Rapt somehow led her to kill the blackmailer, though given what I said in that section, it simply isn't possible without inserting an unsubstantiated claim into the mix.  So, in the community's attempt to draw parallels between the stories and provide an overarching theme for what Mr. Rapt is treating these characters, we seemed to miss some things.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add a sypnosis for one of H.P. Lovecraft's short stories titled ~ The Colour Out of Space

It is almost a parallel to the Reporters Phone Call # 1

On 11/15/2015 at 8:47 PM, PINNAZ said:

[Train Station Phone Call 1] Reporter: Hey Mr. Rapt, just checking in. So, I'm here, finally, taking in the sights, sounds and smells of Morg City. I know you sent me here to write a piece about the city's bustling nightlife and theater scene, and the characters that inhabit it, but things are gettin' kinda strange. Even though no one seems to wants to talk about it, something is definitely off about this city. Just last week there was a meteor shower, a freakin' meteor shower! And everybody acted like it was no big thing. Then, the mold showed up, all over the city. In the dark, damp alleys, there's a strange kind of fungus growing. It looks weird, and smells even weirder, but nobody's really said anything. Then people started getting sick. At first it just made them delirious... confused. Then they really got sick. It was like they were wasting away. People finally started talking about it. I spoke to one guy in his 80s, a fruit seller, at a local market. He said a similar thing happened in New England in 1882. When I tried to press him on it, he just lowered his head and ignored me. If you ask me, something definitely ain't right here.

The Colour Out of Space Synopsis

An unnamed surveyor from Boston telling the story in the first-person perspective attempts to uncover the secrets behind a shunned place referred to by the locals of Arkham as the "blasted heath." Unable to garner any information from the townspeople, the protagonist seeks out an old and allegedly crazy man by the name of Ammi Pierce who relates his personal experiences with a farmer who used to live on the cursed property, Nahum Gardner. Pierce claims that the troubles began when a meteorite crashed into Gardner's lands in June 1882.

The meteorite never cools, but begins shrinking, and local scientists cannot discern its origins. As the stone shrinks, it leaves behind globules of colour that are referred to as such only by analogy, as they fall outside the range of anything known in the visible spectrum. These remains eventually disappear but, the following season, Gardner's crops come in unnaturally large and abundantly. When he discovers that, despite their appearance, they are inedible, he accuses the meteorite of poisoning the soil. Over the following year, the problem spreads to surrounding vegetation and local animals, altering them in unusual ways. Plant life around the farmhouse becomes "slightly luminous in the dark," and Gardner's wife eventually goes mad, forcing him to lock her in the attic. During this time, Gardner begins to isolate his family from the rest of the town and Pierce slowly becomes his only contact with the outside world.

Boston - New England

Meteors

Farmer - Fruit Seller

Strange Vegetation

Locals wouldn't talk about it

Very similar stories here.

l think it was @BlindBusDrivr who pointed this out to me. So Brains to you.