Shadows of Evil: Tips, tricks and Points of Interest

On Trip Mines: you can not use these like claymores, where you hide them around the map until the ones that you drop instantly explode.

I believe that you can have 4 total on the map at once. As you throw a new one, the oldest one disappears. Edit: now 2 max.

They are good for putting up high to take out the flyers around the areas that you train.

Edit: these also kill zombies into the 20s, making them work well for the Egg step of the swords.

------

Flyer rounds: fight these guys in the subway steps, they get trapped in a wall design and have trouble attacking you in swarms on the subway steps. Also, remember you can use beast, if needed to open doors or power, on this round.

-------

Meatballs: have trouble with stairs, especially by a bend. The Nero fire escape is perfect for them as they must slowly navigate the bends.

Patched---Edit: hmm. The Nero fire escape actually makes you invincible (360 at least) if you stand near the bottom; they roll up the easy street steps, vanish, respawn. Just fire from above as they roll past.

-------

Mawgra: i choose to shoot them, so they outrun the train. But some folk like to save them for after the train.

Chopper; care to explain how you stop them from spawning?

Edited by 83457
Letters, words.
1 minute ago, 83457 said:

Chopper; care to explain how you stop them from spawning?

Not publicly in case it's an actual glitch.  I'll pm you though mate.

As a mod I can't be publicly showing potential glitches.  I will however PM anyone who asks me what to do.

For the record, I'm moving more and more to it not being a glitch and more being by design.  I'd like to get some feedback from others who have tried it first before declaring it as a non-glitch in my mind.

It could be considered game breaking, I just consider it makes the map more fun tbh.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Chopper said:

As a mod I can't be publicly showing potential glitches.  I will however PM anyone who asks me what to do.

For the record, I'm moving more and more to it not being a glitch and more being by design.  I'd like to get some feedback from others who have tried it first before declaring it as a non-glitch in my mind.

It could be considered game breaking, I just consider it makes the map more fun tbh.

As a moderator, if you feel the zombie cloning or Wall Power 3 gun glitch should be deleted, do so with my blessing. I like to know glitches, but i understand that this isn't a glitching site. 

Technically, i didn't mean to do either when they first occurred. I don't like glitching to high rounds, but the game gave me a third gun slot and i wasn't about to complain. :)

There are glitches and there are glitches.

Zombie cloning is a clever use of the game mechanics, the same as what I always thought about Astro being locked behind an excavator on Moon.

A 3rd gun slot isn't a huge deal to me either mate.  Sure it saves a perk but I don't think an extra perk is suddenly going to make someone go from say a 40 round player to a 100 round player.

I'm sure others disagree.  The glitches I personally am against are things like Table on Five, or edge of ship COTD.

Sorry for derailing this topic a little bit......so, another tip.

I find it much quicker to get the part from the 'monsters' before the part from digging.  Every time I've dug first I end up mid 20's before getting the last part.  It's rare I don't get the other part on the 3rd boss round if not before then, and I've never then not found it on a map dig sweep on say 15 or 16.

• Like 1

I agree. As soon as i have purple pods i dig and almost immediately get the Tentacle. Usually within 1-2 rounds the (bright green piece) is dropped from the Wasps. Edit: seems to drop on round 14 every time.* I've since gotten it on 12 several times, and got the tentacle on the same round. So apparently you can get more than one piece in a round, fyi.

On 3gg: it also requires a Rare Mega GG to do it, so it won't be happening in every game.

The zombie cloning seems intentional, (how could they have missed it?), but it probably isn't.

Edited by 83457
Round 14/12
1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Now that I've had the opportunity to use this in game, which I'm currently trying to complete the Side Quest in. I really want to know what the Floating Book is for, other than activating the Keepers. Which does not disappear once they have all been Summoned. As well as had time to think about it. I really don't think it's a glitch. 

Simply because by now, as well as knowing how Treyarch are. They would have patched it. Not to mention how meticulous you have to be in what you do. For an average player or someone that don't play all the time. It could become quite the challenge.

It also makes the possibility of a Solo E.E./Side Quest seem a lot more plausible. Co-Op at this point almost seems impossible. You would all have to grab the A.S. at the same time (which seems like a glitch). Or spend a ton of points on the box and get very lucky. Being that the Shadow Man has an actual animation and he's not just "Stuck" there "Frozen". Makes it seem to me as if it was coded.

Back to the topic at hand. Another tip would be if you search one Purple Pod, the next time you search you don't have to worry about that one again. The tail will always be in a Purple Pod you have yet to open.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pod tip, i used it in one of 'my' survival maps when i was trying to build the WW (Der Verruckt Riese): i recalled your tip, which caused me to recall the pod hiding in the subway car in subway, and there was the part. I don't think that it appears in a part of the map that you haven't opened up. But i can't yet swear by this.

------

Somatic survival tips: i often hear folk say 'how come the zombies don't hit you as you run right by them?', the answer is this; the creatures in the game lock on to where you will be, the flyers are real obvious in this manner: they (like scorpions from Extinction) aim for where you are going to be, so changing course frequently causes them to miss. 

Zombies: constantly turn your controller as you loop past them or else just twitch it back and forth as you run. The zombies always try to aim for where you will be, so constantly turning slightly as you pass them, makes them try to recalibrate their attack continuously.

Mawgra: well timed jump. If you are in the air when he slams the ground, you take no damage. He may instead attempt the '8-fold bitchslap', which does much less damage when he connects.

A direct slam to your shield will take it out, but you won't take damage.

Flyers: zig zag as you run. Get to smaller rooms where you can shoot them in groups, up close. The easy street loading dock is perfect. Subway steps. Urinal area of boxing gym. Under steps in Nero's. Ruby Rabbit is okay. Or just outrun them and pick them off.

(360)

Edit: you can also do a different upgrade at the 4 Devil-O carts instead. See later post.

---

Trip Mine Upgrade = Death Donuts?

I heard this blurb on the interwebs and wasn't ready to believe it, so I tried it and it works.

Buy Trip Mines. Get 1 kill by each Molly's Cream Cakes (no comment) vendor cart: one in the first area of Canal, one in Junction, one by the perk machine in Footlight. You'll hear Samantha's laugh when you get a kill.

Then, your Trip Mine becomes a death donut. I don't know yet if it is stronger, or just an easter egg, or if it's part of something bigger.

I heard that the zombies explode or the mines explode as donuts. This does not occur on 360, but your mine on the ground if now a donut.

Edit: The unupgraded mines have a better blast radius. For some reason (a clue?) the Bouncing Betties (upgraded Trip Mines) fire a column of death, instead of the 2 rings of the unupgraded version. Both seem to have the same killing potential, so what does 'upgrading' actually do? They destroy your shield, if that's a clue. 

--------+

Random notice: the GG poster in Junction appears only when you are near it on 360, different from other graphics distance issues. Smells like MOTD poster...hmmmmm.

It's also right by the mystery grapple...

Edit: it draws attention to the candy store for the free mega GG easter egg.

Edited by 83457
Updated info

Upgrade Lil Arnies (thanks to Glitching Queen).

(Deleted wrong info)

Spam box for LA.

Get 100 LA kills, (hear ding or audio cue, audio cue is currently missing on 360).

Go to ritual spots and throw LA by item in room (LA must be close to it), the item immediately disappears.

Boxing gym: bow tie on shelf across from BK.

Nero's Landing: by heads with top hat. Top hat disappears.

Ruby Rabbit: by cane leaning against front of couch. Cane disappears.

Then go to The Black Lace, throw LA at altar on stage (the other props should be there---no props appear there on 360).

Done.

Edited by 83457
6 minutes ago, 83457 said:

Upgrade Lil Arnies (thanks to Glitching Queen).

It seems that you can't get lil Arnies until pap is open.

Spam box for LA.

Get 100 LA kills, hear scream.

Go to ritual spots and throw LA by item in room (LA must be close to it), the item immediately disappears.

Boxing gym: bow tie on shelf across from BK.

Nero's Landing: by heads with top hat. Top hat disappears.

Ruby Rabbit: by cane leaning against front of couch. Cane disappears.

Then go to The Black Lace, throw LA at altar on stage (the other props should be there).

Done.

I've definitely had it countless times before pack a punch is open. Yesterday I had them on round seven before we had it open.

On 12/4/2015 at 0:34 PM, Nightmare Voyager said:

I've definitely had it countless times before pack a punch is open. Yesterday I had them on round seven before we had it open.

Maybe i misheard, maybe she was wrong.

Maybe the rituals have to be done?

Anyway, thanks for the correction!

Edit: you may get them on any round.

Edited by 83457
Just now, 83457 said:

Maybe i misheard, maybe she was wrong.

Maybe the rituals have to be done?

Anyway, thanks for the correction!

It could be you have to have one ritual done, or two. We definitely had two done.

Huzzah! After a glitchy death and dodging a plethora of Nukes (f u Trollarch), i got the Sword on round 4. I think that is the earliest it can be done solo, since you need Beast.

I got waterfront open (bought kuda, exposed statue), tram was there, rode to Footyville, then C-anal (exposed statue), bought doors back to start.

Jumped in Subway, started cooking eggs on round 2, finished on 4.

Now to do sword only...

--------

Tips:

These are tested on 360

No longer works---[Mawgra + sword upgrade tip (also when activating pap): if you have a mawgra already, only 1 will spawn when you should get 2 during the last 3 Ovum steps. When you open pap, if you have a Mawgra already, one won't spawn.

(The 'no mawgra spawn' glitch does not occur on 360, so it must be a glitch).

So, if you have a 1 headed Mawgra as you open pap, another will not spawn, just finish him off.] ----no longer works.

----

Edit: this next section no longer works:

Infinite sword is now useless. The shield will now break. This will leave you with a forced-upon-you trip mine reticule and you can't pick up guns. You can grab another shield...

Leave guns in pap, grab shield for infinite shield. 

Leave guns in pap, use infinite sword.

These can be great in team games, horrible in solo.

-----Patched

----

If you accidentally (or purposefully) pick up a gun from a pod while holding the sword, your points disappear, your guns disappear.

I did this by accident on round 44, which ended my game. Trollarch, please fix this shit.

For a millionth of a second i thought it was an anti-cheat thing, but then i realized that a competent game designer would simply make it impossible to grab a gun with the sword out, not take a players points, guns, and all just because they picked up a gun by accident with the sword out.

Then i remembered that Trollarch sucks. So i said to my self 'would Trollarch punish players,  rather than fix a Trollarch glitch'? And i thought, 'yes, they would'. Then i remembered reading something like this about the fridge in bo2.

So i think i was punished for stupidly buying another Trollarch programming disaster.

Only Trollarch would punish players for Trollarch's bad programming. How childish and unprofessional (no surprise, from the retards who made bo1).

So i tested it today on purpose, and it took my points, guns, et cetera.

Treyarch, the laughingstock of the cod community.

However, i did the upgrade, and was able to retrieve the upgraded sword. I didn't trust Trolly to not glitch that one also, so i pap'd my guns and left them, grabbed the sword for unlimited sword. Then i quit to take an octogenarian to dialysis.

---infinite sword is patched. The derpy sword/gun issue still isn't fixed.

----

Happy gaming!

Edited by 83457
Trollarch tale and more.

going to try the duplicating zombies with beast mode, thanks for that, will help with all the point farming I do.

here's my tips

1. try to get bowie knife early.

2. use bug and meatball rounds (save one bug) to use a beast mode and get stuff done. easier than one fast zombie following you, or two slow ones.

3. after opening Pack a Punch and killing the Margwa that spawns, get the 3 train symbols, and go back to subway during the same round, use beast mode to: smash statue box, zap three symbols for egg/sword, zap widows wine, mule kick, the door above and stamina-up all in one.

EDIT: using beast mode to zap zombies after hording them up is brilliant. thanks to whoever figured that one out. I had everything but the ww by round 12 by duplicating zombies from round one to round three, only using one beast mode per round though. it makes the first few rounds a little more challenging (having to zap zombies and get things done in beast mode at the same time) but totally worth it. I also tried keeping the gatekeepers alive from when you pick up the items, and leading them to the ritual site to die there, spawning in two more zombies, that works good too. 

Edited by mmm chocolate
  • Like 1
On 12/9/2015 at 4:01 PM, mmm chocolate said:

EDIT: using beast mode to zap zombies after hording them up is brilliant. thanks to whoever figured that one out. I had everything but the ww by round 12 by duplicating zombies from round one to round three, only using one beast mode per round though. it makes the first few rounds a little more challenging (having to zap zombies and get things done in beast mode at the same time) but totally worth it. I also tried keeping the gatekeepers alive from when you pick up the items, and leading them to the ritual site to die there, spawning in two more zombies, that works good too. 

I seemed to be the only one who picked up on that. I kept telling people about it and being surprised that folk didn't know. I guess I'm the only sadist out there zapping zombies randomly.

It can't be a glitch. Their playertesters can't be that bad... oh wait.

Edited by 83457

I guess that this falls under 'point of interest'. I got a weird one here. Assumed glitch. I'm on 360, if that matters.

Edit: it seems to be last gen only, or possibly only on 360. So don't worry about this on xbone.

Take train to Footlight. Do not drop the steps, don't open the $1000 door to Junction.

Drop down into the area by the vesper and it's game over. I've tried repeatedly, on different rounds, opened the rift door, et cetera. It just kills you for no reason. It's not like you couldn't buy your way out or beast the rift to subway open...

----

I was trying to play 'the pit' and just survive there without opening doors, just the vesper, a pod, traps, and i.

You can do this (the pit) at waterfront by buying a barricade and dropping down by the box location, or at canal (kind of lame there, because zombies drop down and block you) by buying a barricade. I guess since you don't buy a door/barricade, the game stupidly thinks that you are cheating. It kills you dead, game over, no revives, no refunds, no explanations. It won't happen often, but it needs to be fixed.

Edited by 83457

Daily 83457 brain dump:

Mawgra shooting tip/possible glitch: tested 360.

Take him through Nero's (it's easy to kite him up there, btw), drop down the fire escape. He is really easy to shoot as he stops to teleport (twice) on his way down. Especially with shotguns, but he is vulnerable to anything.

Glitch: often, he gets stuck as a purple ball as you do this. Sometimes he gets unstuck on his own, or you can simply run away and he will teleport to your new location. Sometimes he just stays stuck there as long as you stay nearby.

Edit for above ↑: This also can occur as he teleports through traps. He tends to get unstuck more frequently, maybe they patched it a little?

Mawgra shooting tip: go into Subway, go out of the Footlight rift and go right past the GGm. The Mawgra will teleport to the cthulu statue there, putting him ahead of the zombies. Quickly kill a head. This is for folk like me who take him out before/during a horde.

Mawgras fight Lil Arnies (Arnie loses).

First time fliers: the first time that you get the fliers simply go to the Loading Dock at Easy Street and hide in there. Carefully throw grenades just outside the room. This usually kills them all in 3-4 grenades.

Porkball Tip: any long views. By the Cthulu statue by Ruby Rabbit let's you see them far away. The start room steps allow you to see across the top, and the balls have trouble with those steps. The top of the steps in Nero's. Black Lace stage, iirc they go up the sides only.

--------

Dead guy with 'W' (or upside down M for maxis?): i did just about everything i could to him, with little success.

However, after opening pap, i hit the Maxis audio cue, then ran up there immediately and threw Trip Mines by him. As soon as i did, my guy started tap dancing, he sounded like a horse in work boots tap dancing. This continued down the Tram steps and finally stopped when i started jumping. I've never seen a similar glitch, so i wonder if i was close to something, but not quite right, which caused it to glitch. I didn't have time, so i never built the sword. Maybe if that had been done first...

I know that you can fire the auxiliary blade of the upgraded Sword directly at something by aiming and then hitting the left trigger (great for flyers, Mawgra heads). I will try to do this to the Letter when i get a chance.

Of course it could be a 1-off glitch with excellent timing.

-----

Trip Mines stick to anything: I've stuck them to the butts of flyers. They don't stick to zombies.

With instakill active, you can bounce a frag grenade off of a flyer without killing it.

Random thought: once you upgrade Trip Mines, they become donuts. Maybe we then need to get a kill at every Devil-O Donuts cart. Edit: you can do upgrades at the Devil-O carts or the Molly's carts, but not both as 1 player.

-----

Beast shortcut: when going through Waterfront, by the beast fire by the Tram on the raised dias, you can cut through the alley there where the zombies come in (where they climb down by the workbench on the other side of the building) and go down the Trip Mine side of the boxing gym, saving a second or two.

-----

Some rifts, you can lay down and crawl under the portals. I've managed to avoid zombie hits, but i haven't fully explored this. May be a spot for bathroom breaks in mp games if they patch the other 'bathroom spots'.

-----

Shield flight glitch (might be exploitable, needs fix): i haven't really explored this much, but if you get zombies on you, you tend to fly (and die). Get new shield, get lone zombie in Ruby Rabbit. Have him follow you out on the front steps. Turn and face him with the shield (or let him hit you from behind, with shield on back, either way is dangerous). As he's above you on the steps, hitting your shield, he will usually end up 'on' you. This should then cause you to start to fly up in the air along the building. Try to keep the shield between you and him. You may be able to get on a building or the sky barrier. This probably works on any steps and other locations. Side effects may include death, loss of perks, temporary bans if done online/for high rounds, laughing, and teammate surprise. Edit: can get on Junction crane.

I am such a Johnnie player type...

Edited by 83457

Okay. 360 version at least:

Edit: most likely patched now like the pap-away version.

You don't need to pap your guns away for infinite sword or shield (or even infinite Trip Mine reticle-which is useless).

Simply run your guns out of ammo and then use Sword. I didn't test the shield, but most likely it stays infinite. 

Might help with the perfect bowling.

Might glitch the upgraded shield so that it lasts, so that folk can figure out the legitimate thing that we are supposed to do with it.

I swear: most of these glitches just happen to me. I went from round 16 to 24 with no max ammos, constant mawgra attacks, while running with a broken sword. So that's how i figured this glitch out.

--------

This is not patched: Max Ammo often appears too high in the air, or in unreachable spots.

I wish they would stop the bugs from dropping max ammo inside the walls where you can't get them. Then i would have had max ammo. One glitch leads to another...

Another finely crafted cod/sarcasm/sigh.

Edited by 83457

Bowie Knife Glitch and possible fix. 360 version at least.

Sometimes, when buying the BK, it will take your $3000, not do the knife-taking animation, and leave you with only the one gun, you can't ads, knife, run, interact with X, lay down(?), and Beast mode says that it is sleeping when it's not. You can walk, reload, hip fire, crouch, and that's it.

I believe it occurs when your character is answering the Shadowman's question of whether or not they are familiar with the gym and you buy the knife during the answer, which makes it want to do the next audio script as it takes the knife, but it glitches. Usually, i buy it before my character starts to answer the question, and then everything is fine. So that seems to be what triggers the glitch: buying BK during the answer script. * possibly the sounds the BK makes when bought. So far, I've avoided the glitch by correct timing.

I have unglitched by going down and being revived.

I have also unglitched it, but am not 100% sure why, but i think this is it:

What i did was: teleport to Subway. Then i could lay down, but everything else was still glitched. 

So i teleported again, at this point, i turned to the window by the Rift (waterfront) and could fix it, then everything was back to normal.

I won't completely rule out teleporting, nor window fixing as what fixed it, but considering how it appears to happen, i believe it was fixed when my character spoke again, due to teleporting (It was Floyd's " i get it now, it's like a doorway").

So, to avoid the glitch and/or be prepared to fix it, beeline to it and buy it before your character responds and/or be sure to have a Rift open before getting the BK.

Happy Knifing!

Edited by 83457

FYI, 360 version at least.

I got Lil Arnies, i threw one down, a mawgra beat it up, i got downed at that time.

My Lil Arnies were gone. The 2 in reserve were gone and i didn't get them back with Max Ammo.

I had Perkaholic when i went down, so i lost MK as well, so I'm guessing:

Either the Mawgra fight glitched my Arnies when I went down, or losing MK took my weapon slot and my Arnie slot.

Just guessing at what caused it to glitch.

Edited by 83457
Gone, not fine

Patched: skip this post unless nostalgic or no updates.

Here's a minor glitch that could help you late game. I tried to break it, but it seems harmless enough to post here. Sadly, it won't work on the Rift, which is what i really wanted it to do, so i could get into the beginning of Footlight without the glitched death barriers ending my game, despite playing legitimately. Oh Treyderp.

Glitch: Using Beast, go up to a perk machine, hit RT, hold B (to turn human), hold X. If done correctly, you will have that perk when you turn human. Round 45, do you really want to run up to Zandi's Smoke Lounge for Juggernog with zombies pouring in? Do you want to run trains with no Juggernig nor shield until it is safe? Nope. And you don't have to. (Funny enough; I never think of using this glitch when I'm under pressure and should use it. I always get Jugger the hard way). Also, if Beast is about to run out on it's own, simply hit RT and then X as it runs out.

Edit: i just bought the BK from the boxing gym like this because i was light on cash. It works on shield parts too.

You can get a second gun with this, but if you get a third gun, the game takes them and laughs at you. However, you could use Beast to jump barriers and get an HVK-30 as your second gun without buying the barrier yet (Footlight and Waterfront) I think that i can jump with effort into the KN-44 area of Canal with Beast also, but i haven't tried it yet, so you may be able to get that as well. Edit: a use for the grapple in Footlight by the HVK-30!

I know that you can get guns and perks, but doesn't work on rifts. Whatever else it can do is up in the air. Have fun.

Note that GGm, Pods, ?Box, all require 2 grabs, so won't be a good idea to hit those (unless you opened a pod and got chased away, then maybe it would work to get that Ray gun before it goes away, assuming that it even works with pods). Maybe.

Edited by 83457

Edit: This glitch just happened on 40 by coincidence. It has since happened on 53 and is clearly tied to Civil Protector revives. The zombies lose the ability to path to you.

-------------

Original post>>>

Point of interest.

I doubt that this is related to the WW, so rather than continue this on that thread, i wanted to leave it here as a point of interest.

Red circles have a 40 in the middle. After trying to get PaP'd gun kills at them (since they light up after PaP), round 40 came and all of the zombies stayed in their spawn. Meatballs, flyers, mawgra could attack, but not regular zombies.

I have not seen this as a glitch. I have not heard of this at all in any conversations about the game or it's myriad glitches.

Red 40 in circles. Zombies run away from me on round 40. I haven't had a chance to even try to replicate it, due to time constraints.

It's deliberate, but what for?

/edit: nope, it's a glitch.

Edited by 83457
Just a glitch

Point of interest/puzzle: Traps.

The first part here, I've written on other posts, but i want this known. The latter parts are possible clues.

If all of these statements are true;

PaP room is open (ritual not necessary).

You have taken the Subway Egg for swords.

You have activated the Trap at least once.

...then the Trap chains begin to rattle loudly. Seems to be an obvious audio hint.

Edit: while the above is true, i have also played 'no pap' survival games where i never opened any of the Rifts, and eventually the Traps began to rattle, so this is a little odd.

Edited by 83457
Removed filler

More to the Trip Mine than meets the eye.

In addition to the Molly's Cream Cake upgrade, you can instead do the Devil-O Donuts upgrade.

Same way, just different carts: Get a Trip Mine kill by each cart of the appropriate type.

D-O: 4 carts, 1 in each district. Makes pleasant sound as each is activated. Upgraded Trip Mine explodes pale yellow. While on the ground, it looks like black cake from MCC cart picture, which seems like a clue. Called Bouncing Bette on the ground.

MCC: 3 carts; junction, canals, footlight. Samantha laugh when activated. Upgraded TM explodes purple. Looks like Devil-O donut picture while in the ground. Called Bouncing Bettie on the ground. 

---

Note: as soon as the last cart is done, your Trip Mine counter will replenish, so you will know that it worked. Also, the visual will change when it explodes, and it will make a kazoo noise as it explodes.

As each is upgraded, there will be a column of light that you may not see if you are too close. If you move away a little, the column of light looks like whitish mist. If you are further away, it looks very similar to the ?Box light, including lightning, and can be seen from across the map.

---

Trying to do one after the other has proven impossible so far, with no sounds being generated, either order. I have only done solo, so i don't know if each can be made by different players.

---

I tried to do both at once, a D-O cart, then MCC cart, D-O, et cetera. This stopped either from being possible. I got multiple kills at each and never again got an audio cue.

Edited by 83457
Words and stuff

Max Ammo.

If you didn't do the flag step, you can start it, defend one flag location until it dings, pick it up, get a Max Ammo, set it at another location then let them break the flag.

Repeat once per round.

---

Note that the Flag Step can also be used to guarantee a Xenomatter drop. Just fight meatballs until it drops. It must be at least round 12, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by 83457
Clarification