cthulhu.jpgSo we all know HP Lovercraft inspired map SOE, has anyone heard of Cthulu? Hes the octupus looking dude we have been seeing in the map. Not an alien, one of the Old ones, the great dreamer, the sleeper of r'lyeh.

considered a great old one, worshipped by cultists...now cultists sacrifice right? What if instead of "the dark announcer" cthulhu is that dark entity that richtofen and sam are aware of? Sleeping in the pyramid? He sends shadow man to do his bidding in SOE?

Also it is said he is often preceded by the epithet great, dead, or dread.

theres more then meets the eye with this guy and relation to SOE. BUT he is all over the map. look around!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a lover of H.P. Lovecraft, I immediately noticed the connection. It is clear to me that this map (at least) is based on the Cult of Cthulu lore. Lovecraft's work is so fascinating and terrifying because he is all about the unknown, dark forces, grotesque creatures and the insignificance of man's role in the universe. In this map they hit all the Lovecraftian tropes right on the head. The city itself seems to be connected to something dark similar to the town of Arhkam in his works where children were ritualistically sacrificed. Lovecraft's Mythos lends itslelf nicely to the themes of zombies and where the storyline is as we know it. We left Black Ops 2 with inter-dimensional travel and god-like power. The theme of humans meddling with forces they can't possibly understand or conceive.

The lost city of R'lyeh from The Call of Cthulu is a damned city with trapped ancient ones. This exerpt from one of his short stories even strikes a chord with me just in the over tones. The map itself has this feeling of being in a damned nightmare city.

"a coast-line of mingled mud, ooze, and weedy Cyclopean masonry which can be nothing less than the tangible substance of earth's supreme terror—the nightmare corpse-city of R'lyeh...loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours"

SulphurAeon_Cover_final.jpg

And yes Lovecraft is famous for his nightmarish tentacled creatures escaping from the space between dimensions. Any film or representation of a tentacled monster probably stems from his work.  There really is no arguing the connection. I don't really intend to explore the connections any further but for my interpretation I believe we are dealing with an Ancient One who has been awakened by meteorite from his eternal dreaming and thanks a perfect storm of wickedness, 115 and ritualistic worship, the dark man or w/e is destroying or feeding on this reality. This is just a basic framework theory I never put into actual sentances until right now but I believe it is definitely something along those lines. 

I can't wait to actually find out what the deal is though, the zombies storyline has always been awesome. If life were more like the movies I would definitely have one of those giant "crazy boards" that everyone has with photos and notes all connected by red string with post its tacked on. This is a refreshing yet enigmatic twist on the zombies lore, I just hope don't get stail with it kinda like extinction mode did. (IMO)

Ludwig Maxis is definitely still in play.

Edited by zombo187
13 hours ago, zombo187 said:

As a lover of H.P. Lovecraft, I immediately noticed the connection. It is clear to me that this map (at least) is based on the Cult of Cthulu lore. Lovecraft's work is so fascinating and terrifying because he is all about the unknown, dark forces, grotesque creatures and the insignificance of man's role in the universe. In this map they hit all the Lovecraftian tropes right on the head. The city itself seems to be connected to something dark similar to the town of Arhkam in his works where children were ritualistically sacrificed. Lovecraft's Mythos lends itslelf nicely to the themes of zombies and where the storyline is as we know it. We left Black Ops 2 with inter-dimensional travel and god-like power. The theme of humans meddling with forces they can't possibly understand or conceive.

The lost city of R'lyeh from The Call of Cthulu is a damned city with trapped ancient ones. This exerpt from one of his short stories even strikes a chord with me just in the over tones. The map itself has this feeling of being in a damned nightmare city.

"a coast-line of mingled mud, ooze, and weedy Cyclopean masonry which can be nothing less than the tangible substance of earth's supreme terror—the nightmare corpse-city of R'lyeh...loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours"

SulphurAeon_Cover_final.jpg

And yes Lovecraft is famous for his nightmarish tentacled creatures escaping from the space between dimensions. Any film or representation of a tentacled monster probably stems from his work.  There really is no arguing the connection. I don't really intend to explore the connections any further but for my interpretation I believe we are dealing with an Ancient One who has been awakened by meteorite from his eternal dreaming and thanks a perfect storm of wickedness, 151 and ritualistic worship, the dark man or w/e is destroying or feeding on this reality. This is just a basic framework theory I never put into actual sentances until right now but I believe it is definitely something along those lines. 

I can't wait to actually find out what the deal is though, the zombies storyline has always been awesome. If life were more like the movies I would definitely have one of those giant "crazy boards" that everyone has with photos and notes all connected by red string with post its tacked on. This is a refreshing yet enigmatic twist on the zombies lore, I just hope don't get stail with it kinda like extinction mode did. (IMO)

Ludwig Maxis is definitely still in play.

Beautifully writeen! I am starting to think that maybe either SOE is R'lyeh it would make a lot of sense. either that or the rift is a door to it. Why else would there be a rift?

Thanks. As far as Morg City goes, it is just up in the air. Until more information comes fourth all we can do is speculate on how the Cthulu lore actually ties into the zombies lore if at all. It could just be an aesthetic choice for all we know yet. If I were to guess though, I wouldn't say that this city IS R'lyeh. The actual city itself is said to be sunken beneath the sea long before we started counting time. But they could twist it in any manner the way they did the Vril society.

The crazy part of this so far is that the theory I was working with from BOII isn't much changed yet.

• Administrators

To be honest, this is one of the most disappointing contributions to the storyline so far, IMO. Until MotD, EEs were very mechanical and scientific. None of this 'we don't know how it works-it's just eerie and cultish, and we don't have to explain it because it's magic.'

We had eerie stuff in the past, stuff that involved killing creatures around an object, but not to 'please' an entity. Even in Origins, Richtofen gives the scientific explanation that the 'soul boxes' are actually energy-powered, and don't actually pertain to souls. That's a Takeo-ism. Same with CotD, Tranzit, Moon and so on. Magic is just a cop-out. So whereas this began as science fiction, it's beginning to drift further away from

science, and I, personally, find that difficult to take seriously. 

If you want occult games, they're out there for a dime a dozen. But this is Nazi Zombies! C'mon, now!

• Administrators

To be honest, this is one of the most disappointing contributions to the storyline so far, IMO. Until MotD, EEs were very mechanical and scientific. None of this 'we don't know how it works-it's just eerie and cultish, and we don't have to explain it because it's magic.'

We had eerie stuff in the past, stuff that involved killing creatures around an object, but not to 'please' an entity. Even in Origins, Richtofen gives the scientific explanation that the 'soul boxes' are actually energy-powered, and don't actually pertain to souls. That's a Takeo-ism. Same with CotD, Tranzit, Moon, and so on. They were mechanical, scientific, and systematic. I just can't help but feel like magic and demonic rituals are not only poor taste, but also a cop-out, following a long history of great science fiction. I, personally, find that difficult to take seriously. 

If you want occult games, they are out there for a dime a dozen. But c'mon, this is Nazi Zombies!

7 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

We had eerie stuff in the past, stuff that involved killing creatures around an object, but not to 'please' an entity. Even in Origins, Richtofen gives the scientific explanation that the 'soul boxes' are actually energy-powered, and don't actually pertain to souls. That's a Takeo-ism. Same with CotD, Tranzit, Moon and so on. Magic is just a cop-out. So whereas this began as science fiction, it's beginning to drift further away from

science, and I, personally, find that difficult to take seriously. 

Umm, Mystery boxes, perk machines, PAP, wallguns? The entire zombies gamemode is based on 'magic' and random unexplainable stuff. Since when has zombies been something to take 'seriously' anyway?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, steviewonder87 said:

Umm, Mystery boxes, perk machines, PAP, wallguns? The entire zombies gamemode is based on 'magic' and random unexplainable stuff. Since when has zombies been something to take 'seriously' anyway?

Mystery boxes are explained, (space-time displacement), perk machines are explained (genetic modification), PAP is also 115 displacement, and apparently was built by a man in the old west. Wall guns are the only thing in that list without an official in-game explanation, but that can be explained with 115 displacement as well. Even barricade repairs are explained

"This must be done by telekinesis." -Richtofen

Get legends like @Tac and @MysteryMachineX in here, and watch the realism unfold. 

And as far as taking it seriously...there is a reason there's a forum dedicated to a game's side mode, which had over 30,000 posts. Take it in context. Taking it seriously doesn't mean you believe it's real. In context, it refers to a believable sci-fi. 

I was really wondering if it was just me getting the Lovecraftian vibe. I wholeheartedly agree that the level is inspired by H. P. Lovecraft's works, of which Cthulhu is most popular representation (although many others exist). This isn't just in aesthetics, either. It is in the entire theme.

Look at the supposed new Wonder Weapon thing (the black hole gun) that has, from what I have seen, a bunch of potential names that it randomly selects. This is relating to the Lovecraftian language (it even has similar syllables) that many Lovecraftian creatures spoke. In fact, the language isn't complete, because it is said to be beyond the realm of human understanding, and, get this, has no official correct pronunciation by human beings. Therefore, the multiple transliterations of its name. (Because it isn't meant to be written in English.)

Boom! MMX out. (No not you Boom, the onomatopoeia boom.) Eh, never mind. I'll just walk out normally.

25 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

Mystery boxes are explained, (space-time displacement), perk machines are explained (genetic modification), PAP is also 115 displacement, and apparently was built by a man in the old west. Wall guns are the only thing in that list without an official in-game explanation, but that can be explained with 115 displacement as well. Even barricade repairs are explained

"This must be done by telekinesis." -Richtofen

Get legends like @Tac and @MysteryMachineX in here, and watch the realism unfold. 

And as far as taking it seriously...there is a reason there's a forum dedicated to a game's side mode, which had over 30,000 posts. Take it in context. Taking it seriously doesn't mean you believe it's real. In context, it means refers to a believable sci-fi. 

Well if '115 displacement' and the like satisfies your 'scientific criteria' then there's not much I can say on the matter.

Would you mind explaining how 'genetic modification' allows you to hold an extra gun in your inventory btw? Or makes your weapon shoot 2 bullets instead one?

And on a side note, in BO2 private games there is an option to turn off 'Magic' - so it appears Treyarch themselves refer to it as such.

Edited by steviewonder87
On November 8, 2015 at 4:36:00 PM, Castun50 said:

Beautifully writeen! I am starting to think that maybe either SOE is R'lyeh it would make a lot of sense. either that or the rift is a door to it. Why else would there be a rift?

i think the coolest thing is shadow mans quotes pretty much point to cthulhu. i also noticed the "keepers" in which shadow calls them the real enemy. makes me wonder who they really are. theres so much lore in this map i love it

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, steviewonder87 said:

Well if '115 displacement' and the like satisfies your 'scientific criteria' then there's not much I can say on the matter.

Would you mind explaining how 'genetic modification' allows you to hold an extra gun in your inventory btw?

That, sir, is a whole other thread-rather, a whole other forum. Please refer to The Asylum. And bear in mind, it's sci-fi. But something like a fast-acting steroid could give it an explanation. Have you ever listened to the mule kick jingle? Trust me, I'm not the only one out here who thinks like that. 

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/index.php?/forum/73-asylum/

@MysteryMachineX would you not agree that past maps have been sci-fi? As I recall, it was your style to attempt to provide scientific/realistic explanations. 

If you want to get actual realistic, then here's a fun fact: a massive undead apocalypse would last no more than a week. Fact. 

Some extraordinary things are allowed to be accepted, however, and fictional science has been utilized to explain much of it. 

1 minute ago, NaBrZHunter said:

That, sir, is a whole other thread-rather, a whole other forum. Please refer to The Asylum. And bear in mind, it's sci-fi. But something like a fast-acting steroid. But trust me, I'm not the only one out here who thinks like that. 

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/index.php?/forum/73-asylum/

@MysteryMachineX would you not agree that past maps have been sci-fi? As I recall, it was your style to attempt to provide scientific/realistic explanations. 

I'm all for exploring the zombies storyline and trying to tie things up with the 'real world' - within the realms of believable sci-fi - but claiming that everything thus far in zombies can be rationally explained by science is seriously pushing it for me. I mean, Agartha, Vril, the Aether, etc. That all points, to me, to very unscientific, occultist themes. Which I for one enjoy.

It's interesting you referred to the gamemode as 'Nazi Zombies' in your earlier post, as Kino (I believe) was the last map to have any ties to Nazism (and probably because it was developed on WAW originally), apart from the character Richtofen of course. But it's interesting because Hitler was extremely interested in the occult and mysticism as it were, and spent a lot of time and money trying to study it as he genuinely believed it would give him the edge in the war. And is probably what inspired Treyarch to create all this 'crazy magic stuff' in the first place.

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, steviewonder87 said:

And as far as that is concerned, if you're taking that at face value, there are a lot of resources out there I would encourage you to study. '115 displacement' is a 'blanket description' for the complex and very detailed potential and usages of 115. If you aren't already familiar with that, then there's not much I can say on the matter. Listen to character quotes and read from the terminal. Science fiction was the original basis for this whole story. I'm not saying they haven't strayed from that-in fact, I'm saying they have. And that's what I find disappointing. Back then, we could theorize as to how certain tech worked.  Now, anything is possible. If it seems unexplainable, just chalk it up to rituals and magic. No point in even trying to give it an explanation. 

2 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

And as far as that is concerned, if you're taking that at face value, there are a lot of resources out there I would encourage you to study. '115 displacement' is a 'blanket description' for the complex and very detailed potential and usages of 115. If you aren't already familiar with that, then there's not much I can say on the matter. Listen to character quotes and read from the terminal. Science fiction was the original basis for this whole story. I'm not saying they haven't strayed from that-in fact, I'm saying they have. And that's what I find disappointing. Back then, we could theorize as to how certain tech worked.  Now, anything is possible. If it seems unexplainable, just chalk it up to rituals and magic. No point in even trying to give it an explanation. 

I edited my first post so you might have missed it, but I included the effect of DT 2.0 where you have 2 bullets physically coming out of your gun instead of one. Now I'm not sure what kind of genetic modification would be required in order to do that, but I'd hazard a guess and say none because that's just silly. Now you could just say 'well 115' and explain it away like that, but I fail to see how placing any unusual/unexplainable game mechanic under the '115 can do crazy stuff' category is any different to explaining with, say, magic.

I also noted that Treyarch themselves refer to it as 'Magic' in BO2.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, steviewonder87 said:

I'm all for exploring the zombies storyline and trying to tie things up with the 'real world' - within the realms of believable sci-fi - but claiming that everything thus far in zombies can be rationally explained by science is seriously pushing it for me. I mean, Agartha, Vril, the Aether, etc. That all points, to me, to very unscientific, occultist themes. Which I for one enjoy.

It's interesting you referred to the gamemode as 'Nazi Zombies' in your earlier post, as Kino (I believe) was the last map to have any ties to Nazism (and probably because it was developed on WAW originally), apart from the character Richtofen of course. But it's interesting because Hitler was extremely interested in the occult and mysticism as it were, and spent a lot of time and money trying to study it as he genuinely believed it would give him the edge in the war. And is probably what inspired Treyarch to create all this 'crazy magic stuff' in the first place.

I used it to give credence to its origins. And actually, Agartha, Vril, and the Aether are also all explainable. I wrote a very detailed thesis on the relationship between the realms over in The Asylum. The Nazis were involved in researching scientific application of certain occult concepts, which, under the assumption that that is possible, births

places such as Der Riese, as well as the fact that they took massive technological strides that are referenced even today. Blundell said himself in the latest video from Treyarch that Der Riese was based off fictional Nazi technology. Sure, the times have changed, but it moved on via Operation Paperclip and the space age. On the same note-who can explain Nova 6 gas? It's fiction, but it isn't magic. 

If you enjoy the way it's gone, then great! I'm glad you enjoy it. I enjoy it, myself, still, but not without disappointment at seeing the 'anything is possible because magic' route it has taken. 

I don't believe in alternate worlds and cross-dimensionalism in real life, but it is a part of this story's scientific fiction. Teleportation back in the days of WAW and BO1 required a device, proper configuration, and electrical power. Now it requires blood and candles. Heh. -_-

1 minute ago, NaBrZHunter said:

I used it to give credence to its origins. And actually, Agartha, Vril, and the Aether are also all explainable. I wrote a very detailed thesis on the relationship between the realms over in The Asylum. The Nazis were involved in researching scientific application of certain occult concepts, which, under the assumption that that is possible, births

places such as Der Riese, as well as the fact that they took massive technological strides that are referenced even today. Blundell said himself in the latest video from Treyarch that Der Riese was based off fictional Nazi technology. Sure, the times have changed, but it moved on via Operation Paperclip and the space age. On the same note-who can explain Nova 6 gas? It's fiction, but it isn't magic. 

If you enjoy the way it's gone, then great! I'm glad you enjoy it. I enjoy it, myself, still, but not without disappointment at seeing the 'anything is possible because magic' route it has taken. 

I don't believe in alternate worlds and cross-dimensionalism in real life, but it is a part of this story's scientific fiction. Teleportation back in the days of WAW and BO1 required a device, proper configuration, and electrical power. Now it requires blood and candles. Heh. -_-

I see where you are coming from re: MOTD + SoE, and I understand that. I'm just saying, in my opinion of course, I don't believe you can explain everything up to this point so far in the zombies universe with 'science' (however loosely you want to apply that term) is all.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, steviewonder87 said:

Right. DT 1.0 was more realistic. I rest my case. I have very little respect for BO2, and feel like Zielinski was a major factor in it losing realism. 

Yes, some things must be accepted as game mechanics, however, such as 'waves' of zombies, making points that open doors and afford you opportunities to buy things, and perks like DT 2.0. The realistic version was hated. So

it was given an unrealistic twist. It's a gameplay mechanic; but it's not magic. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, steviewonder87 said:

I see where you are coming from re: MOTD + SoE, and I understand that. I'm just saying, in my opinion of course, I don't believe you can explain everything up to this point so far in the zombies universe with 'science' (however loosely you want to apply that term) is all.

No, no, you are right. It's just preferable to me to have some sort of pretend 'scientific' limitations that require precision and so on. Like CotD's EE. Replacing fuses, sabatoging security systems, setting numbered knobs, and sending signals. Or Ascension-generators, computer terminals, synchronous buttons-but you see what I'm saying. It is what it is now, but that's why BO1 remains my favorite, despite the awesomeness that is BO3

Just now, NaBrZHunter said:

No, no, you are right. It's just preferable to me to have some sort of pretend 'scientific' limitations that require precision and so on. Like CotD's EE. Replacing fuses, sabatoging security systems, setting numbered knobs, and sending signals. Or Ascension-generators, computer terminals, synchronous buttons-but you see what I'm saying. It is what it is now, but that's why BO1 remains my favorite, despite the awesomeness that is BO3

Yeh I get that totally mate, but I guess we just have to accept Treyarch want to take it in a 'new' direction now, for better or for worse and just enjoy it for what it is like you say. Like I said though, I quite like it (I also liked the more 'realistic' - if you can call it that - elements of the BO1 maps don't get me wrong) and much prefer this darker, more fantastical theme than the more cartoony, silly approach Jimmy's maps were taking in BO2. I guess if I were you I'd look at it as the lesser of 2 evils as it were (no pun intended). :)

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, steviewonder87 said:

Yeh I get that totally mate, but I guess we just have to accept Treyarch want to take it in a 'new' direction now, for better or for worse and just enjoy it for what it is like you say. Like I said though, I quite like it (I also liked the more 'realistic' - if you can call it that - elements of the BO1 maps don't get me wrong) and much prefer this darker, more fantastical theme than the more cartoony, silly approach Jimmy's maps were taking in BO2. I guess if I were you I'd look at it as the lesser of 2 evils as it were (no pun intended). :)

I can see that. Never thought I would be the kinda person to favor comic-style over cinematic, but apparently classic zombs did that to me, so I'm pretty much the exact opposite. 

LOL! Funny you should say that-you are referring to the Nazis vs. the Occult, I assume? I was actually just finding it amusing how ironic it is that people are so easily shaken by references to Naziism, but completely undisturbed by the occult, which...is basically kinda just same die (as in singular dice-lol) different side. Before my next statement, NOTE: I HAVE ZERO NAZI SYMPATHY. I am an American, a Christian, and absolutely not racist towards any ethnicity. 

But there are Neo-Nazis who were non-violent, and simply have a stupid sense of superiority, as well as original Nazis who fought for Germany because they were patriotically mislead to think that it was right. 

There are also occultists out there who treat it as a 'dark vs. light' and believe they serve the light. 

But the reality is that the violence in the occult is no more acceptable than the violence of the holocaust. Murder is murder...and both parties are evil. So I can't really agree that the occult is any less evil. Actually, I was just listening to a documentary a couple weeks ago about cult-related mass murders. Scary stuff. But anyway, gonna get off my soap box now. lol! 

2 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

I can see that. Never thought I would be the kinda person to favor comic-style over cinematic, but apparently classic zombs did that to me, so I'm pretty much the exact opposite. 

LOL! Funny you should say that-you are referring to the Nazis vs. the Occult, I assume? I was actually just finding it amusing how ironic it is that people are so easily shaken by references to Naziism, but completely undisturbed by the occult, which...is basically kinda just same die (as in singular dice-lol) different side. Before my next statement, NOTE: I HAVE ZERO NAZI SYMPATHY. I am an American, a Christian, and absolutely not racist towards any ethnicity. 

But there are Neo-Nazis who were non-violent, and simply have a stupid sense of superiority, as well as original Nazis who fought for Germany because they were patriotically mislead to think that it was right. 

There are also occultists out there who treat it as a 'dark vs. light' and believe they serve the light. 

But the reality is that the violence in the occult is no more acceptable than the violence of the holocaust. Murder is murder...and both parties are evil. So I can't really agree that the occult is any less evil. Actually, I was just listening to a documentary a couple weeks ago about cult-related mass murders. Scary stuff. But anyway, gonna get off my soap box now. lol! 

Lol, no! I was referring to the new 'darker, magical' themes of MOTD/SoE vs. the 'cartoony, silly' themes of Buried, etc. And that if I had to choose one or the other I'd choose the former everyday of the week.

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, steviewonder87 said:

Lol, no! I was referring to the new 'darker, magical' themes of MOTD/SoE vs. the 'cartoony, silly' themes of Buried, etc. And that if I had to choose one or the other I'd choose the former everyday of the week.

Oh! Hahaha! Still and all, very punny. Good talk, man. 

4 hours ago, NaBrZHunter said:

I'll just comment on this since it was asked of me. Yes, Call of Duty Zombies has traditionally been mostly science fiction with history (a.k.a. retrofuturism) with some supernatural aspects to it. However, over time, the number of supernatural instances have been increasing compared to the science fiction ones. It is a bit disheartening to me, but I believe the game has pretty much approached a split of science fiction and fantasy. The two levels that come with the game underline this very easily. Shadows of Evil has a lot of supernatural content. The Giant has a lot of science fiction content. The story has both, always has. The proportion is starting to become lopsided, especially considering that a lot of the science fiction was pseudoscience to begin with.

Oh, and just to make it clear, Cthulhu is just one Lovecraftian monster. Honestly pop culture has made Cthulhu a bigger deal than Lovecraft ever did. There are so many other monsters out there.