mod tools coming to black ops 3!!!!

ok so pc dev made a tweet less than an hour ago about some announcement and well they just posted this link a treyarch blog mentioning the mod tools. pc custom mappers rejoice!! https://community.treyarch.com/community/treyarch/blog/2015/11/02/modding-mapping-tools-coming-to-black-ops-3-pc-in-2016

https://twitter.com/Treyarch/status/661239542813331456

Edited by dannyfrog2013
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, HitmanVere said:

Yeah, same. Hopefully WaW lives this next year, so that all amazing projects get released

Well at the best Treyarch aims for closed Alpha for the tools at March. Summer and next fall would be my guess on when the complete tools realease if everything goes smoothly. World at War is not just going to die. Plenty in custom zombies scene are running on laptops/PC that can't even run Black Ops III.

And CoD 1 and 2 are still alive on PC so PC games with mod tools really don't die that fast lol.

1 minute ago, Matuzz said:

Well at the best Treyarch aims for closed Alpha for the tools at March. Summer and next fall would be my guess on when the complete tools realease if everything goes smoothly. World at War is not just going to die. Plenty in custom zombies scene are running on laptops/PC that can't even run Black Ops III.

And CoD 1 and 2 are still alive on PC so PC games with mod tools really don't die that fast lol.

Good point. But there will be big impact in community, thats for sure

It'll be upsetting to see the current WIP maps die out if their creators abandon World at War for Black Ops 3, but it will definitely be for the best in the long run. New modding tools for the first time in 8 years, I can only imagine that maps made in the first year of having the kit will already be approaching as fantastic as World at War maps were several years after the tools were available just because of all the features that will already be easily included through the base game.

4 hours ago, MegaAfroMan said:

It'll be upsetting to see the current WIP maps die out if their creators abandon World at War for Black Ops 3, but it will definitely be for the best in the long run. New modding tools for the first time in 8 years, I can only imagine that maps made in the first year of having the kit will already be approaching as fantastic as World at War maps were several years after the tools were available just because of all the features that will already be easily included through the base game.

First time in years people want base game assets used in a map, haha. Nowadays people get hate on not importing weapons/perks from other games in WaW community

with the new limits in BO3, people could do wonderful things with BO3, create new SoE type maps, more maps with old crew, perhaps create a proper Tranzit map, re-make older maps with updated graphics and features - its truly exciting if all this happens, and will entice me more to get a gaming pc or laptop when i can get a job.

Edited by TimelordAlex
20 hours ago, TimelordAlex said:

with the new limits in BO3, people could do wonderful things with BO3, create new SoE type maps, more maps with old crew, perhaps create a proper Tranzit map, re-make older maps with updated graphics and features - its truly exciting if all this happens, and will entice me more to get a gaming pc or laptop when i can get a job.

I was pretty disappointed when I heard the project to remake Tranzit got cancelled, hopefully with these new tools they can make something even better than that. And I would actually kind of like seeing more custom maps with the NO4. Perhaps even having them revisit all the other old maps if Treyarch isn't doing anymore remakes? The possibilities are so exciting for this.

That's an interesting concept. In WAW the characters were default soldiers or the O4. It's likely it can be modded in new characters here, but will we be able to control the NO4 and SOE group? I feel that'd be a bit controversial for the SOE group as they are actual higher-tier actors.... 

Furthermore will linked-maps be a feature? Like doing an easter egg in one map allows you a hidden feature in another map?

What about how bosses spawn in? In WAW custom maps you have to kill the boss to progress, is that optional now? 

What about weapon customization? Or Gobble gum? All known perks for use? Buildables? 

On 4.11.2015 21.47.09, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

Furthermore will linked-maps be a feature? Like doing an easter egg in one map allows you a hidden feature in another map?

What about how bosses spawn in? In WAW custom maps you have to kill the boss to progress, is that optional now? 

First one is probs possible with new tools due to like for example, TranZit having this with Navcards. BO3 mod tools are more advanced than what BO2 would have had and since BO2 had it, BO3 should have it.

Second one is linked to scripting. Not many people in WaW-community know how to script it, so boss isnt counted as normal zombie. Usually boss is scripted this way: Make condition for boss to spawn (random/specific round, how long to round and so on), select random spawning zombie, detach all parts of the zombie, attach wanted model and thread new functions for him (like damage/health and so on) This is easy way to script boss, which most people do.

BO3 might have this function already in scripts, which modders can tweak as they like.

And as other people have said it, we would have access to everything in SoE/Giant/DoA due to them being in base game, like what we had with WaW/BO1 (BO1s only difference was lack of Radiant, mapping tool itself)

Edit: My bad, greyed out part is wrong, scripters usually spawn normal zombie, not select already spawned one