Shangri-La Zombies Tattoo's (Sak Yant / Yantra Tattooing)

PINNAZ

So my Co-Conspirator @MixMasterNut pressured me into posting this because I don't think it has ever been posted or really talked about. (@MrRoflWaffles has a video on it but didn't know what they were).

Mix & I talked about this over a year ago & I only included it in the Shangri-La Zombies Library but never dedicated a thread to it.

With the possible remake/re-written story about Samantha, Shangri-la & Moon, MixMasterNut thought I should post this to show that there are still things that have not been discussed or researched.

So without further ado, these are what the Tattoo's on the Shangri-la Zombies are ~

viet_zombie_vc_grunt_zpsvrvqgplo.png

Sak Yant Tattoo’s

Yantra tattooing, also called sak yant (Thai: สักยันต์, Khmer: សាក់យ័ន្ត), is a form of tattooing practiced in Southeast Asian countries including Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. The practice has also begun to grow in popularity among Chinese Buddhists in Singapore. Sak means "to tap [tattoo]", and yant is Thai for the Sanskrit word yantra. Sak yant designs are normally tattooed by wicha (magic) practitioners and Buddhist monks, traditionally with a long bamboo stick sharpened to a point (called a mai sak) or alternatively with a long metal spike (called a khem sak).

Yantra tattoos are believed to be magic and bestow mystical powers, protection, or good luck. In Cambodia, the tattoo is used for self-protection. Cambodians believe a yantra has magical powers that ward off evil and hardship. The tattoo is particularly popular amongst military personnel. The tattoo supposedly guarantees that the person cannot receive any physical harm as long as they observe certain rules.

fb323222bb844e72242d32cc3362a0f8_zps9a90

Yantra tattooing originated in Cambodia with the use of ancient Khmer script writing. During the Khmer empire all the Khmer Warriors were covered up with tattoos from head to toe, including their chest, arms and even fingers. King Jayavarman VII, tested this out with his own body, being struck by arrows, all hits bounced off his chest. Proof was written in the diary of Zhou Daguan. Chinese chronicles describe yantra tattooing among the Thai cultures of southwestern China and northwestern Vietnam at least 2000 years ago. Over the centuries the tradition spread to what is now Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and parts of Myanmar. Today it is most popular in Thailand, whereas in Cambodia and Laos the tradition has almost completely vanished.

• Round - mean the face of Buddha or Brahma
  • Triangle - mean the Triple Gem of Buddhism or the three Lords of Brahminism; Shiva, Brahma and Narayana.
  • Square - mean the four elements; Earth, Air, Fire, Water.
  • Drawing - The meaning of this kind of Yant depends on the portrait of each Yant.

Front Tattoo

viet_zombie_vcgrunt-ChestTattoo_zps6229c

Back Tattoo

viet_zombie_vcgrunt-BackTattoo_zps40720e

SakYant-Back_zpscae6face.jpg

Gao Yord Yant

The Gao Yord Yant or 9 Spires Yant is a sacred tattoo with magical powers which will protect and bring good luck to the bearer and has a similar meaning to another Sak Yant design, the Hah Taew Yant.

The Gao Yord Yant is usually tattooed on the nape of the neck but may also be placed elsewhere. The 9 Spires Yant is a geometric design and represents the 9 Sacred Peaks of Mt. Meru and also contains 9 symbolic images of the Lord Buddha, demonstrating just how important the number 9 is in Buddhism. The Buddhas are the 3 ovals, in diminishing sizes, placed one above each other.

YantKaoYod_zps8dd12b90.jpg

===================================

Arm Tattoo

viet_zombie_vcgrunt-LeftArmTattoo_zpsf8e viet_zombie_vcgrunt-RightArmTattoo_zpsab

Hah Taew Yant

Each of the 5 lines of the Hah Taew Yant can carry a different meaning bestowing various benefits depending on the Sak Yant Master and the wishes of the recipient, making the 5 Sacred Lines Yant the most comprehensive and versatile of all the Yant designs. The Hah Taew Yant is not just a pretty design but is a powerful and sacred blessing bestowed on the wearer and therefore to receive its full powers the Yant should only be given by a Buddhist Monk or a Brahmin Priest.

Yant5Taew5Rows_zps07c62d93.jpg

Head Tattoo

HeadTattoo_zps6c0ce8ee.png

Paed Tidt

The Sak Yant design ‘Paed Tidt’ or Eight Direction Yant is a sacred Geometric Yant containing eight Mantras written in 2 concentric circles in the centre of the design. The design of the Paed Tidt Yant also incorporates eight representations of the Buddha. These are the groups of 3 ovals each increasing in size from the top.

The Paed Tidt Yant will give you protection in whichever direction you are traveling and ward off evil spirits. The script used on the Paed Tidt Yant is an ancient Khmer script known as Khom. The Mantras written in the Paed Tidt Yant and which should be chanted when going out to give further protection are as follows.

YantPadTid_zps01e56428.png

I don't know alot about this culture or art, only what I have read & posted. If you know what these symbolise please post and add to the thread.

Pehaps @Tattoo247 could elaborate if you know anything on Yantra tattooing?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually don't know much about this style. It's not really sought after in the area I work in, but I'm going to read this man and hopefully I can take a little knowledge from it, appreciate the work you put into this, very well constructed!

Yea, was a good read. One thing I noticed is, in a lot of the Tibetan pieces I've done, the little zig zag lines are usually present, like in the last picture you posted, the symbols that almost look like a number 3, I see those a lot.

And another cool thing I noticed in the books we have a the shop, they all have the "golden rod" drawing, so it's a pretty important design in the culture. I'll try to post a picture of it.

Edited by Tattoo247

Awesome stuff @Tattoo247

You had the Golden Rod in a book in your shop the whole time!

VAJRA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajra

Vajra is a Sanskrit word meaning both thunderboltand diamond. Additionally, it is a weapon which is used as a ritual object to symbolize both the properties of a diamond (indestructibility) and a thunderbolt (irresistible force).

It is also known as Bajra/बज्र (Nepali), vajram(Tamil), bojro (Bengali), bajra (Malay), dorje(Tibetan),[1][2][3] dorji (Dzongkha), wajra(Indonesian), jīngāng, 金刚 (Chinese), geumgangjeo (Korean), kongōsho (Japanese) and Очир ochir / Базар Bazar (Mongolian).

The vajra is essentially a type of club with a ribbed spherical head. The ribs may meet in a ball-shaped top, or they may be separate and end in sharp points with which to stab. The vajra is used symbolically by the dharma traditions of BuddhismJainism and Hinduism, often to represent firmness of spirit and spiritual power. The use of the vajra as a symbolic and ritual tool spread from India along with Indian religion and culture to other parts of Asia.

Vajra.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 10/29/2015 at 6:46 AM, PINNAZ said:

So my Co-Conspirator @MixMasterNut pressured me into posting this because I don't think it has ever been posted or really talked about. (@MrRoflWaffles has a video on it but didn't know what they were).

Mix & I talked about this over a year ago & I only included it in the Shangri-La Zombies Library but never dedicated a thread to it.

With the possible remake/re-written story about Samantha, Shangri-la & Moon, MixMasterNut thought I should post this to show that there are still things that have not been discussed or researched.

So without further ado, these are what the Tattoo's on the Shangri-la Zombies are ~

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/callofdutyzombieslibrary/Black%20Ops/Shangri-la/Sak%20Yant%20Tattoos/viet_zombie_vc_grunt_zpsvrvqgplo.png

Sak Yant Tattoo’s

Yantra tattooing, also called sak yant (Thai: สักยันต์, Khmer: សាក់យ័ន្ត), is a form of tattooing practiced in Southeast Asian countries including Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. The practice has also begun to grow in popularity among Chinese Buddhists in Singapore. Sak means "to tap [tattoo]", and yant is Thai for the Sanskrit word yantra. Sak yant designs are normally tattooed by wicha (magic) practitioners and Buddhist monks, traditionally with a long bamboo stick sharpened to a point (called a mai sak) or alternatively with a long metal spike (called a khem sak).

Yantra tattoos are believed to be magic and bestow mystical powers, protection, or good luck. In Cambodia, the tattoo is used for self-protection. Cambodians believe a yantra has magical powers that ward off evil and hardship. The tattoo is particularly popular amongst military personnel. The tattoo supposedly guarantees that the person cannot receive any physical harm as long as they observe certain rules.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/callofdutyzombieslibrary/Black%20Ops/Shangri-la/Sak%20Yant%20Tattoos/fb323222bb844e72242d32cc3362a0f8_zps9a90cd22.jpg

Yantra tattooing originated in Cambodia with the use of ancient Khmer script writing. During the Khmer empire all the Khmer Warriors were covered up with tattoos from head to toe, including their chest, arms and even fingers. King Jayavarman VII, tested this out with his own body, being struck by arrows, all hits bounced off his chest. Proof was written in the diary of Zhou Daguan. Chinese chronicles describe yantra tattooing among the Thai cultures of southwestern China and northwestern Vietnam at least 2000 years ago. Over the centuries the tradition spread to what is now Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and parts of Myanmar. Today it is most popular in Thailand, whereas in Cambodia and Laos the tradition has almost completely vanished.

• Round - mean the face of Buddha or Brahma
  • Triangle - mean the Triple Gem of Buddhism or the three Lords of Brahminism; Shiva, Brahma and Narayana.
  • Square - mean the four elements; Earth, Air, Fire, Water.
  • Drawing - The meaning of this kind of Yant depends on the portrait of each Yant.

Front Tattoo

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/callofdutyzombieslibrary/Black%20Ops/Shangri-la/Sak%20Yant%20Tattoos/viet_zombie_vcgrunt-ChestTattoo_zps6229ca93.png

Back Tattoo

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/callofdutyzombieslibrary/Black%20Ops/Shangri-la/Sak%20Yant%20Tattoos/viet_zombie_vcgrunt-BackTattoo_zps40720e18.png

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/callofdutyzombieslibrary/Black%20Ops/Shangri-la/Sak%20Yant%20Tattoos/SakYant-Back_zpscae6face.jpg

Gao Yord Yant

The Gao Yord Yant or 9 Spires Yant is a sacred tattoo with magical powers which will protect and bring good luck to the bearer and has a similar meaning to another Sak Yant design, the Hah Taew Yant.

The Gao Yord Yant is usually tattooed on the nape of the neck but may also be placed elsewhere. The 9 Spires Yant is a geometric design and represents the 9 Sacred Peaks of Mt. Meru and also contains 9 symbolic images of the Lord Buddha, demonstrating just how important the number 9 is in Buddhism. The Buddhas are the 3 ovals, in diminishing sizes, placed one above each other.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a555/PINNAZ/Shangri-La/YantKaoYod_zps8dd12b90.jpg

Arm Tattoo

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/callofdutyzombieslibrary/Black%20Ops/Shangri-la/Sak%20Yant%20Tattoos/viet_zombie_vcgrunt-LeftArmTattoo_zpsf8ee0584.png http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/callofdutyzombieslibrary/Black%20Ops/Shangri-la/Sak%20Yant%20Tattoos/viet_zombie_vcgrunt-RightArmTattoo_zpsabac72c6.png

Hah Taew Yant

Each of the 5 lines of the Hah Taew Yant can carry a different meaning bestowing various benefits depending on the Sak Yant Master and the wishes of the recipient, making the 5 Sacred Lines Yant the most comprehensive and versatile of all the Yant designs. The Hah Taew Yant is not just a pretty design but is a powerful and sacred blessing bestowed on the wearer and therefore to receive its full powers the Yant should only be given by a Buddhist Monk or a Brahmin Priest.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/callofdutyzombieslibrary/Black%20Ops/Shangri-la/Sak%20Yant%20Tattoos/Yant5Taew5Rows_zps07c62d93.jpg

Head Tattoo

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/callofdutyzombieslibrary/Black%20Ops/Shangri-la/Sak%20Yant%20Tattoos/HeadTattoo_zps6c0ce8ee.png

Paed Tidt

The Sak Yant design ‘Paed Tidt’ or Eight Direction Yant is a sacred Geometric Yant containing eight Mantras written in 2 concentric circles in the centre of the design. The design of the Paed Tidt Yant also incorporates eight representations of the Buddha. These are the groups of 3 ovals each increasing in size from the top.

The Paed Tidt Yant will give you protection in whichever direction you are traveling and ward off evil spirits. The script used on the Paed Tidt Yant is an ancient Khmer script known as Khom. The Mantras written in the Paed Tidt Yant and which should be chanted when going out to give further protection are as follows.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/callofdutyzombieslibrary/Black%20Ops/Shangri-la/Sak%20Yant%20Tattoos/YantPadTid_zps01e56428.png

I don't know alot about this culture or art, only what I have read & posted. If you know what these symbolise please post and add to the thread.

Pehaps @Tattoo247 could elaborate if you know anything on Yantra tattooing?

Wow I genuinely hadn't seen this before! Glad to realise it does mean something! Thankyou 

• Brains 1