A tale of two Ricthofens

So in the latest trailer for The Giant, we are treated to a few more quotes from all the characters including some from good ol' fashioned O4 Ricthofen (the evil one) that indicate that he will in some capacity appear a few more times in the map as he did not say them before his demise in the intro. But one quote in particular intrigues me.

"What is left of you now? Nothing!"

This quote is heard about 11 seconds into the trailer and it very clearly spoken by the now deceased Ricthofen, so how can that be? There is a chance that this is just radio messages played without the static, but because of what and how he says it, I believe he is speaking to his younger self. So somehow, be it either because of the now splintered timeline or some other supernatural means, it seems NO4 Ricthofen is now fighting for control of his mind with O4 Ricthofen. 

Will this get resolved in The Giant or will it be a pivotal plot point going forward? Only time will tell on that. In the mean time what are your thoughts on this new development?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

So in the latest trailer for The Giant, we are treated to a few more quotes from all the characters including some from good ol' fashioned O4 Ricthofen (the evil one) that indicate that he will in some capacity appear a few more times in the map as he did not say them before his demise in the intro. But one quote in particular intrigues me.

This quote is heard about 11 seconds into the trailer and it very clearly spoken by the now deceased Ricthofen, so how can that be? There is a chance that this is just radio messages played without the static, but because of what and how he says it, I believe he is speaking to his younger self. So somehow, be it either because of the now splintered timeline or some other supernatural means, it seems NO4 Ricthofen is now fighting for control of his mind with O4 Ricthofen. 

Will this get resolved in The Giant or will it be a pivotal plot point going forward? Only time will tell on that. In the mean time what are your thoughts on this new development?

It could just be be mustach-tofen descent into madness. You can't change history- whats meant to be is meant to be.

It could just be be mustach-tofen descent into madness. You can't change history- whats meant to be is meant to be.

It is younger Richtofen, its just a typical zombie killing quote that is obviously going to be in the map. I don't know about Richtofen being the bad guy anymore, he genuinely seems like the good guy. I believe the story of the Giant will be them doing tasks to wake the older versions of themselves, while also being unsure of Richtofens agenda because of what they know about his future (that doesn't happen anymore). So they are all questioning if he is a good person or not and if the things he is doing is to help them or to save himself. Its probably going to turn out that he really is a good guy and that he wants to make up for what he did in the future, but theres going to be doubt from the others because of what they know but I truly think he is a good person and it will hopefully be resolved like that in the Giant.

Thats basically saying the others will become their older selves too. You can't just pin all of this on Richtofen when all of these characters can end up becoming different people, if Richtofen changes to his old self they all do. Even then thats a pointless plot thread, he kills his evil self, turns evil and gets killed by his past self who goes back around in another loop.

In the trailer they (mainly Nikloai it seems) question his true self quite a bit, and there's no doubt they'll question his motives going forward in contrast to just blindly following him as they did in the past, even with their suspicions. I think it would be really great to see the inner turmoil with part of him feeling like he can't change who he'll become and the other part wanting to do some genuine good.

I think this will be extremely important in future maps because in the latest livestream, Jason Blundell talked a few times about how they're doing a new narrative style with the characters talking and interacting with each other when in close proximity to one another, and this plays right into that. In the ensuing carnage of what will occur in The Giant, I'm sure Ricthofen's darker side will come out as he slaughters the undead and the others will react to that, plus Ricthofen himself.

Also Mustache-tofen is a great name for him.

He was a "good guy" before he touched the Pyramid right?

In the radios he always sounded concerned for safety and had that whole different tone of voice, similar to Mustach-tofen (sorry Boom, I'm stealing that lol)

I think we're just seeing a Richtofen that hasn't had 115 poisoning, and hasn't touched the Pyramid yet, so he has the potential to be good.

Ultimately I think he'll go crazy again, as they say in Call of the Dead- Not ready to die lyrics "Loyalty is no match for power" and that is the truth. 

7 hours ago, Tattoo247 said:

He was a "good guy" before he touched the Pyramid right?

In the radios he always sounded concerned for safety and had that whole different tone of voice, similar to Mustach-tofen (sorry Boom, I'm stealing that lol)

I think we're just seeing a Richtofen that hasn't had 115 poisoning, and hasn't touched the Pyramid yet, so he has the potential to be good.

Ultimately I think he'll go crazy again, as they say in Call of the Dead- Not ready to die lyrics "Loyalty is no match for power" and that is the truth. 

This is the same Rictofen from Origins, which was WWI era, and I don't remember exactly when he touched the pyramid but it was most likely closer to WW2, but certainly after the events of Origins as proven by his personality in Origins, and presumably The Giant is where the 4 went after the end of Origins and it is inferred that the NO4 were given knowledge of basically everything that happened in all the previous games (and maybe even more) and are now trying to prevent certain events from happening.

This is also kind of what I was asking, that after knowing what he'll become I think in BO3 he will struggle with trying to deny that particular aspect of him being part of who he actually is and not because of what making contact with the MPD did to him.