Proposal for Full Scale Digital Release

• Administrators
We can only imagine the many ways chcknshyte individuals can manage to get ahold of pre-release copies of sensational games, and at the very base of that predicament is the fact that the only way to access it without going straight up hacker-cracker on the publisher's data center is if physical copies of the game are created.

(Holy toledo...if I was in management at Activ, I would be LIVID, ready to go on a headhunt to narrow down whether it was an inside or distro leak. I'd probably be hated by PR.)

So the obvious solution is to switch to digital only, right? Access is provided only when the publisher's distribution center verifies your identity. However, if you're like me, you like your physical copies and are proud of your genuine collection of albums, games and movies. Especially when it's a collectors' edition. Not only that, but it does provide an option for someone who doesn't want to use their hard drive space for the whole game. 

Obviously, something would need to be sacrificed, in this case, the standard edition would need to become digital, but collectors editions (only) would include an access key for the download. This would be used on release date, after which the digital copies would be written and delivered to the distros. 

In order to avoid redundant copies, however, the digital copy downloaded on release date would need to be registered with the and gamer ID of the purchaser, so that anytime the game is loaded up, the console will query its own database to confirm that the correct digitally signed copy is being executed for the gamer ID in use. When the disk is recieved, however, the console will require that the disk be registered the same way the digital copy was, requiring a network connection so that the online database can confirm that the disk is being used by the right gamertag. The results are then copied back to to console's database, creating an entry that the console can query whenever the disk is inserted. If the disk is placed in an offline console, other than the one it was registered on, the console will refuse to execute the game, as it has not yet registered.

The buyer will have a primary console (the same that the standard digital edition was downloaded to) where, once this process is complete and all the proper information has been confirmed, the game can be played offline. If you wanted to take your game to your buddy's house, you would either need to bring your console, or your buddy would need to have and active network connection, and your GT downloaded and signed in in order for the disk to play. 

To avoid people skirting these restrictions on LAN, there would be additional game signature and console database checking in place to ensure that two identically signed copies of a game cannot run in the same LAN party.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the leaks. We only have 2 weeks before the game comes out, and activision does a good job of knocking down what they find. If you can find the blurry footage, it's not really worth it. 

Likewise, the game is gold, so there are no changes to it. Everything seen in the video will be released on the actual game, asside from day 1 minor patches. 

Furthermore if someone wants to pay 500$ for an early copy of a game which it is ILLEGAL to upload footage of, be my guest. It's sad really, as the FULL game will be open in 2 weeks. That's hardly anything! 

All I'm saying is, as long as games exist, little shits should have the ability to break the law and upload what they want. It's part of the experience. 

Why don't they just put something into the game data that prevents anything in the game from being launched and unlock it as part of a day 1 patch? It would make day 1 patches less annoying in the name of preventing the problem of leaked copies, and I'm sure it could be an easy fix the unlock everything again. I'm not the most tech-savy person but this is certainly possible, right?

I don't think going full digital is the solution. Honestly there is really no good way to fix it without there being problems. My suggestion would be to not have all the content on the physical disk, so it physically can't launch until an update comes out (on release day). But you have people with shit internet or just aren't connected at all, so they would be stuck.

• Administrators

Why don't they just put something into the game data that prevents anything in the game from being launched and unlock it as part of a day 1 patch? It would make day 1 patches less annoying in the name of preventing the problem of leaked copies, and I'm sure it could be an easy fix the unlock everything again. I'm not the most tech-savy person but this is certainly possible, right?

I like your thinking, and it sounds good in theory, but that would essentially be shipping a broken game, because that same day one patch would have to be applied every time you put it in a new console. :-/

@Rissole25 unfortunately, same with yours. 

The problem with all of this is that it completely eliminates offline gaming out of the box, which, I guarantee you, most people will hate. 

@Stop mocking me0 you're right, the idiot who would spend that much on an illegal copy is truly dumb. But to say that pirates 'should be able' to break the law is like saying that corporations shouldn't have firewalls. Piracy is not a 'part of the experience.' I appreciate you keeping quiet about what you've seen, but myself and many others out here can attest to the fact that garbage like them are actually a pain in the rump. Personally, I am not even tempted to watch the leaks. I'm good. I like what we do with Treyarch and Activision, and their marketing is good by me. Including 'authorized leaks.' So here...it's not a part of the experience. 

I like your thinking, and it sounds good in theory, but that would essentially be shipping a broken game, because that same day one patch would have to be applied every time you put it in a new console. :-/

@Rissole25 unfortunately, same with yours. 

The problem with all of this is that it completely eliminates offline gaming out of the box, which, I guarantee you, most people will hate. 

@Stop mocking me0 you're right, the idiot who would spend that much on an illegal copy is truly dumb. But to say that pirates 'should be able' to break the law is like saying that corporations shouldn't have firewalls. Piracy is not a 'part of the experience.' I appreciate you keeping quiet about what you've seen, but myself and many others out here can attest to the fact that garbage like them are actually a pain in the rump. Personally, I am not even tempted to watch the leaks. I'm good. I like what we do with Treyarch and Activision, and their marketing is good by me. Including 'authorized leaks.' So here...it's not a part of the experience. 

Going to be honest: 

1: BO3 leaks have not been that fruitful so far. Like...3 leaks and all of them poor quality and shows NOTHING. 

2: I read that as "garbage like trump" 

I hate leaks honestly, I mean who would take a picture of them blurrily bouncing about kindof showing off regular zombies gameplay, but then not go into detail about how the game plays. How do we become a margwa? How do the marwas spawn? What do the weapon kits do? what other types of gobble gum are there? Is there character selection? What about that pistol? Is it strong? Weak? Upgraded what does it do? SO MANY QUESTIONS THESE LEAKS FAIL AT ANSWERING. 

• Administrators

I hate leaks honestly, I mean who would take a picture of them blurrily bouncing about kindof showing off regular zombies gameplay, but then not go into detail about how the game plays. How do we become a margwa? How do the marwas spawn? What do the weapon kits do? what other types of gobble gum are there? Is there character selection? What about that pistol? Is it strong? Weak? Upgraded what does it do? SO MANY QUESTIONS THESE LEAKS FAIL AT ANSWERING. 

TBH, me personally...I don't care too much about technicalities. You know me, I'm all about story. Heh heh.

Physical copies are cheaper than digital copies which makes little sense to me as surely more money would be required for the printing to discs and the packaging etc. Now this year when i can afford im going for digital deluxe largely cause its the only edition i can get in the UK that has the giant and also because my physical BO2 disc is chipped in the middle because of the casing i got it in (though surprisingly it still runs fine), i'd rather a digital game that cant be damaged like a disc can. But i wouldnt want full digital unless prices were dropped to something more reasonable.

I wouldn't mind full digital, but they would have to drop the prices for it. That's how they should start the transition anyway, physical copies are $60 and digital are $50 (in the U.S.). I know all digital would just go back up to $60 since publishers have made it clear they want the price of games to be around $100 instead. Eliminating the costs for printing and distribution would even that out though I think, more or less.

I wouldn't mind full digital, but they would have to drop the prices for it. That's how they should start the transition anyway, physical copies are $60 and digital are $50 (in the U.S.). I know all digital would just go back up to $60 since publishers have made it clear they want the price of games to be around $100 instead. Eliminating the costs for printing and distribution would even that out though I think, more or less.

Interesting what you say about prices in the US, here in the UK, if i look at Amazon for a physical copy of the standard game, im looking at £42, but for a digital version on the Xbone store im looking at £50 - £60. Now the only reason they do that is because they can and you're paying for the convenience of getting it without leaving your house, but it should cost less as you're not buying anything physical.

Interesting what you say about prices in the US, here in the UK, if i look at Amazon for a physical copy of the standard game, im looking at £42, but for a digital version on the Xbone store im looking at £50 - £60. Now the only reason they do that is because they can and you're paying for the convenience of getting it without leaving your house, but it should cost less as you're not buying anything physical.

That is interesting, because here they're the same price most of the time. Sometimes the digital version is cheaper even. It's not too consistent though.