Make The giant a different map than Der riese

TimelordAlex

I am not a huge Der Riese fan unlike most of the Zombie community, I find it too easy and therefore gets boring rather quickly. The good news is i hear The Giant, is not a remaster, it is a remake of sorts, i gather it is Der Riese years before what we know it as. I would like to see some Origins features carry over to this map as it just feels like they should as its the origins crew and they've just come from there (presumably). I'd like to see Dig sites return, i just thought they were a neat feature that would fit in with the map, the zombie shield of course and perhaps the maxis drone. But my number 1 feature from Origins i want to see back is The Panzer. Throwing the Panzer into the map would give it some level of extra difficulty, you cant just camp on the cat walk unless well equipped as he'll come up there and fuck you over with no escape and i think he'd fit in the map too, he can easily materialize in the map as there are outside parts. Dogs can return too in their own rounds. How about having zombies, dogs and panzers after you in the high rounds. It would give this map a new leash of life imo and one i would like. There is an origins feature i dont want to see return though and thats the staffs - im quite content with the Wunderwaffe returning, the Ray Gun(s) and perhaps one new WW. It'd be nice to get more than stock perks this time, change the locations around and bring back the Wunderfizz (I want my PHD and Mustangs back  ). Anyway theres my thoughts on The Giant.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it takes place a few weeks or months before actual Der Riese (don't quote me on that). Didn't Richtofen take the others with him to Shi No Numa after Samantha gets in the MPD? I don't think they'll be major changes to the current, maybe a few bits changed here and there. But they could have opened it up a bit more with new areas, etc.

Honestly I'd just be fine if they added stairs by Juggernog like the loading screen said haha.

Edited by Rissole25

From what I've heard it's not a Remake. Instead it's a remaster. The layout of the map will feel the same but aesthetically it'll look different.

Think of Firing Range & Studio on Black Ops II. Or NukeTown & NukeTown 2025. Even thou they look different aesthetically. They still feel the same because of the layout. 

As for something carrying over, Perks, & Weapons. I don't really care as long as the experience is enjoyable. At the end of the day that's all that really matters.

When I'm playing I'm having fun, once that stops/goes away well I guess so will my interest. Hopefully no time soon.

They've said the layout is the same with aesthetic changes. But I wouldn't say it would be on the level of Studio or something because at the end of the day, it is still the same location just set before the original map.

• Administrators

I think it takes place a few weeks or months before actual Der Riese (don't quote me on that). Didn't Richtofen take the others with him to Shi No Numa after Samantha gets in the MPD? I don't think they'll be major changes to the current, maybe a few bits changed here and there. But they could have opened it up a bit more with new areas, etc.

Honestly I'd just be fine if they added stairs by Juggernog like the loading screen said haha.

Yeah, a time period change would not be drastic enough to explain the change in layout. The map we've always known actually occurs on the same day, in the same hour, only 20 seconds before The Giant, as far as we can tell. How that works is yet to be seen. 

Edited by NaBrZHunter

Yeah, a time period change would not be drastic enough to explain the change in layout. The map we've always known actually occurs on the same day, in the same hour, only 20 seconds before The Giant, as far as we can tell. How that works is yet to be seen. 

The Giant takes place after Der Riese not before it, in the original timeline Richtofen would have woken up the other three they would've gone where ever and ended up back at Der Riese eventually but theres never a date where it says when the map takes place aside from a broken clock.

The Giant takes place after Der Riese not before it, in the original timeline Richtofen would have woken up the other three they would've gone where ever and ended up back at Der Riese eventually but theres never a date where it says when the map takes place aside from a broken clock.

The Giant is set before the original Der Riese. At the start of the cutscene you can see the radio from the original Der Riese map taking place.

Yeah. The map is definitely before Der Riese. Richtofen just teleported Maxis and Sam which is a radio on Der Riese and the say we need to set the test subjects free, which most likely refers to the O3. 

The map might be days, weeks, or even months before Der Riese since  we aren't given a date yet, but the trailer definitely wants us to think its seconds before. The Giant clock stops at 1:15:00 and the snow or ash starts to fall while we can see the eclipse. Then Der Riese takes place during the same looking eclipse with ash falling at 1:15:40-45. So this map seems to be set 40 seconds before Der Riese at a frozen time. Not sure how they plan on explaining it but that's what the trailer seems to set up.

One way the map could be different if this is the case is to just simply have a predestroyed map. Since the outbreak is just starting, some of the destruction on Der Riese wouldn't have occurred yet. So maybe some new doors will open, the perks will be in different spots, new debris can block certain paths, and maybe some new enemies can make certain areas a little more difficult. 

The Giant is set before the original Der Riese. At the start of the cutscene you can see the radio from the original Der Riese map taking place.

Got that mixed up, I meant Der Riese takes place before the Giant. I shouldn't type when I wake up, I know it takes place before but he didn't so I knew what I meant!

I'd like to see a few more areas opened up, add in a few more perks (PhD, Vulture-Aid, Electric Cherry) also, double tap II and a way of obtaining random perk bottles so we can get all the perks w/out having to do the EE. I would also like to see the wunderwaffe return, or, what would be cool is a nerfed wunderwaffe so all 4 players could have a WW like in origins, and MOTD I believe with the Blundergat. Beauty of Annihilation also to return :P

Edited by Riddler

I'd like to see a few more areas opened up, add in a few more perks (PhD, Vulture-Aid, Electric Cherry) and a way of obtaining random perk bottles so we can get all the perks w/out having to do the EE. I would also like to see the wunderwaffe return, or, what would be cool is a nerfed wunderwaffe so all 4 players could have a WW like in origins, and MOTD I believe with the Blundergat. Beauty of Annihilation also to return :P

Mrroflwaffles confirmed on his livestream on Twitch last night that The Giant will remain completely the same, when it comes to the map layout. A remastered Beauty of Anihilation would be pretty cool though, and if the Wunderwaffe doesn't come back in some capacity, I'll never forgive Treyarch.

I'd like to see a few more areas opened up, add in a few more perks (PhD, Vulture-Aid, Electric Cherry) and a way of obtaining random perk bottles so we can get all the perks w/out having to do the EE. I would also like to see the wunderwaffe return, or, what would be cool is a nerfed wunderwaffe so all 4 players could have a WW like in origins, and MOTD I believe with the Blundergat. Beauty of Annihilation also to return :P

Mrroflwaffles confirmed on his livestream on Twitch last night that The Giant will remain completely the same, when it comes to the map layout. A remastered Beauty of Anihilation would be pretty cool though, and if the Wunderwaffe doesn't come back in some capacity, I'll never forgive Treyarch.

Aw man, well I hope they don't leave it completely the same.I would like to see the same wall weapons though, I think i'm possibly the only person to enjoy using the Kar98k on early rounds for headshots, when I seen the Ballista in Origins return I was thrilled. More bolt actions in the starting room Treyarch!!

Aw man, well I hope they don't leave it completely the same.I would like to see the same wall weapons though

That doesn't seem to be the case, unfortunately.

hqdefault.jpg

This image was taken from the Treyarch D.I.C.E. Summit Presentation back in February. It's an image from The Giant, and it has one of the Assault Rifle's(?) from 2065.

Aw man, well I hope they don't leave it completely the same.I would like to see the same wall weapons though

That doesn't seem to be the case, unfortunately.

hqdefault.jpg

This image was taken from the Treyarch D.I.C.E. Summit Presentation back in February. It's an image from The Giant, and it has one of the Assault Rifle's(?) from 2065.

XR-2 if you were wondering :)

• Administrators

Got that mixed up, I meant Der Riese takes place before the Giant. I shouldn't type when I wake up, I know it takes place before but he didn't so I knew what I meant!

Right, that's what I Iwas saying originally.  It takes place appx. 20 seconds afterwards, sometime in mid to late September 1945 based on Der Riese and Call of the Dead. 

They better not leave it exactly the same - as they are charging money for it, we should not be paying for the same map

Technically its a bonus map and your spending money on something else. Either way its gonna have so many new features that even if its the same layout, itll be worth the money.

They better not leave it exactly the same - as they are charging money for it, we should not be paying for the same map

I'd love it if we got to open some of those closed doors on Der Riese, but I'd be fine with the same layout as long as it all played like new. Not just the weapons, but new perks, gadgets, and enemies. Maybe change up the rooms a little, like the room outside of teleporter C could have an office set up since it was filled with tables and cabinets before. Now they could be lined up making it a little trickier to get through. Although, going by the little seen in the trailer, it looks like its pretty much the same with cosmetic improvements. 

The_Giant.thumb.jpg.fc651765fa236bd0bb35

Most importantly, I want EEs. And not just one big one. I want little ones like the original Der Riese had. Some that might clue us in on whats going on and some that might add info to the old ones, like the guy hanging in the room or the guy in the tank. Start fixing the story BO3 tore apart. 

A remastered Beauty of Anihilation would be pretty cool though, and if the Wunderwaffe doesn't come back in some capacity, I'll never forgive Treyarch.

Yes please. Even just the original I would be fine with. The problem with BoA on BO1 Der Riese is it cuts off abruptly before the song finishes, and I'm not sure why. Same occurs with The One on BO1 Shi No Numa.

I'm hoping they'll add a side-quest style easter egg, seeing as this map continues the story from Origins, and how that story will likely continue in some form in later maps. I would also like to see more little easter eggs and features added in, both cosmetic and gameplay-affecting, but after seeing the "bonus map" that was Nuketown Zombies, I really can't get my hopes up too high about how much effort they'll put into this one.

Besides, they're probably hesitant to change anything because they know that if too much gets changed, the classic die-hard fans will complain about how it isn't true to the original map. I don't expect much more than what the BO1 release of Der Reise was, which was simply the map running on the new engine, with some new features from the new game (similar to how Black Ops changed the function of Quick Revive in solo and that change was reflected in the reimagined Der Reise, we'll likely see Double Tap replaced with Double Tap II), and the game's new weapons featured in the Mystery Box (and evidently on the wall as well, if the posts above are accurate). Anything past that, I'll consider exceeding my expectations.

Der Riese is just one of the most popular maps in all of zombies, if not the most popular map. Of all maps to do a remake of, it kind of makes the most sense, especially if it's actually canon to the story, and in context of the story is the pinnacle point in which everything was truly set in motion. I'm sure the layout will generally be the same with a few extra areas. It'll be a fun little bonus for any who are interested.