Zombies "Campaign"?: Reaction Thread

Treyarch's Conversation's with Creators video went live today.

In the description, it's specifically says there will be a zombies campaign:

"PlayStation Store Presents a round table discussion with Treyarch Studio Head Mark Lamia, Game Director Jason Blundell, Game Director Dan Bunting, Studio Design Director David Vonderhaar and host Wil Wheaton about the origins of Call of Duty, Black Ops 3 and an all-new Zombie Campaign Mode."

f20e40cb2600aa4366108f4830791f2e.png

Check out the video in @Lenne's thread here.

What are your reactions to a "Zombie Campaign Mode"?  Is it just false wording on the youtube video's part?  Does Wil Wheaton know what zombies is?

Edited by GRILL
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've yet to watch the video myself, and I will do so here very soon. But I don't think that necessarily confirms a new campaign. I think that was just some intern trying to think of a way to sound fancy trying to describe the new story with SoE. I hate to sound skeptical, it's just that I remember similar terminology being used to describe zombies in BO2 a few times before release and I don't want to get my hopes up again.

A zombies campaign. Give me strength, unless it either works like Tranzit or normal zombies then whats the point? Like there is no need for it and it is nothing like the mode everyone fell in love with it. I don't buy it, I think they are going to say that it is something to do with a story being told as opposed to a campaign.

Okay, you guys are definitely right.  Just finished the video, was interesting but literally 0% talk on any sort of zombies campaign.

Literally the only thing said that could remotely compare:

"There is a dedicated narrative built specifically for an all new enigmatic, zombie-loaded experience." - Wheatman

I think it's for sure a mistake in the youtube video description.  Gonna include a screenshot in case they change it:

f20e40cb2600aa4366108f4830791f2e.png

Edited by GRILL

Matuzz brought up the most important bit of info here.

BO2 had an all new zombies campaign as well.

Zombies campaign just seems to refer to the season, or the collective of maps and the Easter egg storyline that goes with them for release on this disc and accompanying DLC.

Zombies campaign, just worded as that, simply means more zombies maps.

Matuzz brought up the most important bit of info here.

BO2 had an all new zombies campaign as well.

Zombies campaign just seems to refer to the season, or the collective of maps and the Easter egg storyline that goes with them for release on this disc and accompanying DLC.

Zombies campaign, just worded as that, simply means more zombies maps.

This is exactly what I believed it to be. While connected. both Black Ops games (I'm including W@W with the first BO because it didn't really have a story until the last 2 maps and directly continued into BO) had relatively separate zombies stories that for the most part had a different group being followed for each game. 

The Youtube description was clearly written by someone who doesn't exactly have an immense amount of knowledge on cod zombies, and they most likely heard Treyarch describe it as an all new narrative, which is another way one could describe a campaign mode, and decided to write is as campaign so that it may be more marketable to the masses as a simpler word to understand rather than "narrative" which probably does zombies more justice when trying to describe how it's story works.

It's actually worth mentioning that zombies mode technically is referred to as "co-op campaign" by the developers.  There is even a part in the interview where one of the guys refers to zombies as "co-op campaign", and then quickly implies that he means zombies.

The fact that the actual regular BO3 CoD campaign has a co-op feature makes this infinity more confusing and hard to explain, so sorry if this sounds like gibberish.

I listened to the interview, when they talk about zombies at one point they compare it to being a campaign mode that has spanned across 7 years so I think it is just people trying to make something that isn't there.

Well the description of the video has now changed and they have removed the "All-new zombie campaign mode" with "All-new zombie mode", so either this is designed to hide the fact there will be One or simply because there will not be One and it was a misprint.

If they did include a campaign mode then I think @RedDeadRiot is right and it will be more of a challenge based mode where we do similar tasks to that of MotD and Origins but on a grander scale that unlocks more of what we are doing and why we are there in the first place. I can't see how a campaign mode along the lines of a normal CoD campaign could work in zombies anyway, so either a quest based mode or a Left 4 Dead style progression of areas is my guess.

This post should be locked, there is not gonna be a campaign mode but if there was by some chance one then there is not any proof at this time.

This post should be locked, there is not gonna be a campaign mode but if there was by some chance one then there is not any proof at this time.

I don't see point in locking thread just because something is not confirmed or if it would even seem unlikely to be in game. It can always be discussed.

We're not locking the topic just because you feel we should. Why should it be locked anyway? and what makes you so sure there won't be a campaign mode? This is a forum where we discuss things related to zombies and discussions on whether there will or will not be a campaign mode are welcome.

We're not locking the topic just because you feel we should. Why should it be locked anyway? and what makes you so sure there won't be a campaign mode? This is a forum where we discuss things related to zombies and discussions on whether there will or will not be a campaign mode are welcome.

As I said above, I was going to edit it to say change the topic as this one is misleading. 

Without a full zombies game revisiting everything sense NACT, I doubt there'd be a campaign mode. So many people just SAY campaign mode, but in reality we've all already gotten "campaign" zombies just by having regular maps. The only maps that arn't campaign are the turned, grief, and survival maps. 

With that said, anyone who can tell me WHAT a zombies campaign would work like, can justify the IDEA that a zombie campaign will be coming this november.

I don't think there will ever be a traditional campaign for zombies, as they talked about in the video themselves they didn't even have a story until the end of W@W and they described every zombie map that has come out across all 3 games as being one cohesive campaign in its own unique way and would continue to be for this game. To me that means it will be more of the same in that we get the story through the main maps.

Like others have stated, it's probably just going to be similar to what we saw in BO and BO2 Zombies.

Which I'm totally cool with. I'd rather figure out the story myself through researching and brainstorming, than have it all laid out in front of me Campaign-style.