Dempsey raygun quote may connect Origins to SOE

Ok, so I was playing Origins as Dempsey and I was about to hit the box, first a scoripion evo, then dual five sevens, everything was normal until I got a raygun, what he said after taking it made me raise an eyebrow, he said "Oh, I've seen this before, I think it was in a comic!". Now if you don't remember, the weasel from MOTD was a comic book artist and actually drew the raygun, this right here shows that Origins and MOTD are in the same universe, and SOE is in the same universe as MOTD, meaning Origins and SOE are also in the same universe, please write below what you think this could mean, thanks for reading :D.

P.S in Origins near the fire portal you can hear 1930's-40's swing music, I guess the devs were teasing SOE a while back XD

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

To be honest, the idea of a ray gun has been around in comic books for several decades - if not - a century. It's closely based on the ideal "space gun" - an intergalactic weapon that shoots lasers or beams.

space_ray_gun_toy_vintage_comic_book_cha

So to say that Dempsey saw it in a comic book and then relate it back to Weasel is not very likely...but still plausible! :) And also, we know that Origins follows an alternate timeline compared to the original storyline in World at War up until Buried in Black Ops II. In that case, we know Origins ties in with The Giant in its own reality whereas Mob of the Dead and Shadows of Evil share the same timeline. Whether those four are in the same path is questionable.

To be honest, the idea of a ray gun has been around in comic books for several decades - if not - a century. It's closely based on the ideal "space gun" - an intergalactic weapon that shoots lasers or beams.

space_ray_gun_toy_vintage_comic_book_cha

So to say that Dempsey saw it in a comic book and then relate it back to Weasel is not very likely...but still plausible! :) And also, we know that Origins follows an alternate timeline compared to the original storyline in World at War up until Buried in Black Ops II. In that case, we know Origins ties in with The Giant in its own reality whereas Mob of the Dead and Shadows of Evil share the same timeline. Whether those four are in the same path is questionable.

this is very true and i would agree with you 1000 times over... except for one thing....... ray guns and space comics weren't around in that era.

Edited by BennetsGreen

Yeah but if you also think, zombies is presented in a comic so it could be referencing that in some way. Dempsey did always break the fourth wall before, this could kind of be the start of it or something.

• Administrators

@BennetsGreen Ah, but comic strips and depictions have been around as panels since the early A.D. time. They weren't fully emphasized into comic strips that we generally see in newspapers until the 1800's, and then as anthologies/books in the early 1920's. So I agree with you now that the idea of space guns was not exactly conceived during the time of Origins. In fact, the same could be said for comic books in that matter which would mean Dempsey nor anyone would know about comic books. Got me there, friendo. ;)

Weasel lived in a time where the insurgence of comic books was at an all-time high. Their popularity sky rocketed and it's no wonder why he got into creating/drawing them. Superheroes and space comics were a pretty big deal - hence, the beloved creation of space guns. But to point that relationship between Origins and MotD is still iffy.

@Nightmare Voyager Correct, but breaking the fourth wall is different than stating something that should not exist in a given situation. I mean, we've seen our characters talk to US - the players - in older maps, taunting us to drop some ammo and all that hubba hubba. The fourth wall is about reaching beyond the fictional storyline and entering our reality as if to comprehend that they're fictional and we're real...or the other way around. But talking about a comic book that potentially never existed is not a fourth wall reference.

@InfestLithium yeah thats true, comics have been around for a long time, but space comics weren't really big and popular until around ww2 and after... mainly the reason they took off was the space race, kids heard that going to into space was possible, so millions of comics and movies about space travel, aliens and ray guns came out to expand their imaginations and dreams of travelling through space.

There's more to it than that, in the "Shadows Of Evil" trailer, there is a sign which might reveal just where the characters are in the map we are shown in the trailer. If you pause it at a certain point, where Nero(?) is running down an alley way to escape a group of zombies, you will see a sign which doesn't have very clear words on it, but you can make out roughly what it is saying. 

On the sign, it looks like it says "Silesia", and we know "The Giant/Der Riese" is located in Lower Silesia. This ties a thread between these two maps already, and we've only seen trailers. However, just because they may be in a similar area doesn't really mean too much, because they could be different universes. 

There is a problem with this theory. I'm not sure there were settlements (such as the one seen in SOE) in Near Breslau, Germany, where "The Giant/Der Riese" is. My theory would be that, if "The Giant" and "Shadows Of Evil" are related in some way, it would be like what was going on in "Call Of The Dead", where the movie stars had to help our original four characters.

(If you want the link to the video where I found most of this information, just say so, I'm not sure if posting video links is allowed, I'm trying to find the terms and conditions again but I can't find them.)