How do you find the look and feel of the new site?

The new site  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Tech Admin

I have attached a poll with a few questions relating to the new look of the site, it hasn't been fully completed yet but the main part the forum has been put live.

We know we have had a small number of issues since going live on Friday and we have resolved these and experienced time offline as a result, which we can only apologise for. However, we wanted to get an understanding of what you think on how it looks, how it responds, how the speed of the site is, how easy it is to use etc.

If you need to ask question then please do so but please also vote so we can get a better understanding.

For instance, regarding posting. Did you know, that if you want to insert a tweet, picture, video, snapchat etc - you can simply paste the link into the post and it will automatically appear?

Did you know, that if you want to mention someone to draw their attention to a post/topic you can simply starting typing (lowercase letters) @Chopper then a menu appears with a list of usernames, click the username you need to mention someone

5535ad92cde160c4fb7b3696bbd63e55.png

Did you know that how you format the post in the editor, is how it should and will appear once you press submit?

Did you know you could create tags for the topic, when other tags are created using the same or similar tags, it will create a list of topics/posts with similar tags?

Did you know that we have new smileys and emojis are being added :FATIGUE:

Did you know that emoji's are supported as standard ? ☎️

Did you know that you can ignore a specific members signature, or you can ignore all signatures?

Edited by Hells Warrrior
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think making posts has become worse.

For starters you have the annoying red line that appears when you type that apparently can make your post look like crap with too much space between paragraphs. Totally butchered one of my posts.

Also the text it too stretched out so Paragraphs that used to be bigger now look smaller so One paragraph kind of looks like 3 sentences. 

The site has a Brand new look which for the msot part looks pretty Cool.

However it also suffers from a few things

Instinct tells you to skip posts that have been darkened out because darkened out posts mean you already read the latest reply. However now everything is dark. And although there is an indication on the left that tells you if you have read it or not it is still harder to notice especially when a post belongs to you and instead of a circle you have a star. That staris also used for featured topics which is confusing.

User Profiles aren't as good as they were before. Before everything used to be in one place. Your Status Feed was on the top of the screen. Your about me was directly below it 

Now for the things I Like...

We have gifs in the Chat now. Which I think is a Nice feature. 

And other than that either everything is the same, Worse than before, or Gifs....Just Gifs..

The Site is still easy to maneuver around the topic sections so you can still find a specific post from before. Tags are now Highlighted I Kind of Like that.

So in conclusion I think the New site Looks nice but is less appealing when it comes to functions and displays. Also....we have gifs...

• Tech Admin

I think making posts has become worse.

For starters you have the annoying red line that appears when you type that apparently can make your post look like crap with too much space between paragraphs. Totally butchered one of my posts.

Also the text it too stretched out so Paragraphs that used to be bigger now look smaller so One paragraph kind of looks like 3 sentences. 

The site has a Brand new look which for the msot part looks pretty Cool.

However it also suffers from a few things

Instinct tells you to skip posts that have been darkened out because darkened out posts mean you already read the latest reply. However now everything is dark. And although there is an indication on the left that tells you if you have read it or not it is still harder to notice especially when a post belongs to you and instead of a circle you have a star. That staris also used for featured topics which is confusing.

User Profiles aren't as good as they were before. Before everything used to be in one place. Your Status Feed was on the top of the screen. Your about me was directly below it 

Now for the things I Like...

We have gifs in the Chat now. Which I think is a Nice feature. 

And other than that either everything is the same, Worse than before, or Gifs....Just Gifs..

The Site is still easy to maneuver around the topic sections so you can still find a specific post from before. Tags are now Highlighted I Kind of Like that.

So in conclusion I think the New site Looks nice but is less appealing when it comes to functions and displays. Also....we have gifs...

​I think making posts has become far easier, I think it's just a learning curve on using the new editor and getting used to it.

The red line you refer to, is basically there to create a new paragraph - you can ignore it or you can click it to start a new paragraph, hitting enter/return does the the same thing. Regarding stretched out text, could you link me to a topic which has this particular issue? I think it might be due to the post rebuild which is still occurring in the background. I also think you'll be used to double tapping enter/return - you don't need to double tap enter or return  just the single press is enough (from reading/viewing a couple of posts this appears to be what's happening).

Regarding entering a topic and know what was the last post you read within the topic, anything below the blue line is unread.

578069e740a782575cd5f28c639302d4.png

I might make some changes to the colour of that line to make it more prominent

0f606ac01b3c83269af2606e55ac7b15.png

This star basically is saying this is a post you have contributed too. When it's dull no new replies exist, When you have unread replies it is brighter (just like the dot in the image shown below)

5ba6740f6511bc89e6ca538d01e12bb8.png

Tells you, that if you click it, you will go to the first unread reply.

a529244e3778403280fd225c936e17ce.png

When nothing exists as shown above, you have read everything but haven't contributed anything to the topics.

Regarding the profile page, everything is still accessible from the top of the profile page but it defaults to activity feed, what have you been participating in to make it easier to find and navigate to your content. You can simply click status feed, about me and be take directly to that information. Yes it's not all on the one page however, it is more user friendly imo.

I'm glad you like some of the improvements and we hope to make some more in time - thanks for taken the time to feedback and hopefully my explanations of a few things have helped.

Edited by Hells Warrrior

To be honest, I don't really like the way posting topics is on this new software.

It seems to be really buggy & glitchy. I don't want to sound like I'm whinging, but these are some of the issues I've come across whilst editing my

• Sometimes after posting Twitter statuses, the embedded post box is small & it creates a scroll bar on the side
  • Sometimes after posting Facebook posts,  the embedded post box is small & it creates a scroll bar on the side
  • Sometimes these 2 issues don't exist & the embedded links show perfectly? Not sure what's going on there?

• Copy & pasting from a Word document no longer seems to work correctly the way it was formatted in word? Lots of errors.

• The size of the new spoiler tab is just so big. Have a look at it. It takes up the width of the screen.

It's Bloody HUGE!

All of the existing formatting from the old site has not transferred over. Old post are no longer formatted. Again.

• Spoiler tabs no longer work
  • Some Youtube videos don't display & only show the link but it's not a hyperlink
  • Soundcloud is no longer a HTML embed, but a url which is really large & size cannot be adjusted. (scroll bar also exists)

• If there is text already in the reply box & select a portion of it. Pressing the "Quote" button will cause the last sentence to become the first sentence in the quote? Strange
  • When trying to create a hyperlink to a word that is already in the reply box, sometimes it works, other times it wipes both the hyperlink & the existing word from that pop-up box & you are left with just a blank pop-up box

• Sometimes when posting, the response of the cursor can be really slow & laggy (as mentioned by Naitrax in his Bug tracker topic)

Using the Forum with a phone

• I need my "Mobile full forum view" back asap! Hahah, It was so good browsing the forum on my phone in the same outlay as using my PC. The current mobile view is sh*t
  • Using my iphone, the forum can be really slow & cause the page to crash & reload. 
  • Alot of the mobile view is unreadable as there are lots of white boxes & the text is a light grey.

In both PC & iphone view, I feel as thought there are too many borders for everything. It all seems condensed to the center of the screen.

Sorry to have a whinge, but Iv'e been really frustrated trying to reformat my posts over & over again with different results each time. Sometimes it works & other times it doesn't.

I really do appreciate how much time & effort you have spent doing this Craig. I am in no way pissed off. Sorry I haven't written any good points yet. 

(What changed since the beta? The beta was nothing like this. I posted my Library threads in the beta without any hassle at all.

It seems like this has gone backwards dramatically?)

• Tech Admin

@PINNAZ can you send me this via PM with screenshots and maybe videos as well please? Just so I can get a better understanding of what you are referring too. The paste from word option should past is, you should see exactly what it is that you posted.

I've added 2 new icons to the editor, paste and paste as plain text (only on the full screen version). Send me the links to the posts you are trying to paste too so I can try and recreate the issue you experienced.

I'll have a look at the spoiler but a lot of the posts are still being rebuilt in the background and until these have been rebuilt, quotes, images, spoilers etc will still be incorrect. Although spoilers with text added such as

This is a line of text

was a plugin and not default, so these will need to be amended and updated accordingingly. I'll check into the resize issue with pasting directly into the topic with the soundcloud and videos. 

Edited by Hells Warrrior

Thanks mate.

I didn't realise that things are being "rebuilt" in the background. That's good to know.

The Twitter & Facebook link size must be a glitch. I've tried recreating it & avoidng doing certain actions but I haven't found the cause yet. I did wonder if the "Red" paragraph line had something to do with it. Like if I paste something too close to it? I refresh the page & it's the same, then refresh again & it's fixed? Refresh or post again & it's glitched out?

It's nearly midnight here, but I'll try do make a screen capture video for you tomorrow of my frustrations.

P.S. Try pasting 2 paragraphs of text into the reply box, then select all. Then press the quote button. The 2nd sentence is now the first & the first the last. HAHA

• Tech Admin

All paragraphs have been spaced using enter/return

Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 - Paragraph 2 -

Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 - Paragraph 3 -

Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 - Paragraph 1 -

The site has become a pain in the backside to use via mobile, as I pretty much exclusively do, I've been missing out on a lot here.

I cannot find a new content page, I cannot find status feed, the borders on mobile look like crap, there is far too much white on mobile around text boxes, some quote boxes, in the polls, and in the stats at the bottom of the screen.

The notications pop up menu is buggy and unusuable on mobile.

The site seems to load quicker, but it also only seems to load the content of my screen. Scrolling forces it to load more (although it is very brief it is annoying).

It looks sleeker maybe, but it also feels clustered and almost less ordered. 

I'd say I'd get used to it, but the mobile usage severely sucks compared to the old site, and if that doesn't get fixed I doubt I'll use this site enough to get used to things.

Sorrry to be a complainer, I just don't like it much. It was an unpleasant surprise when I came back to CoDz to check on the teaser info and found I could barely navigate the site.

Just a few notes.  I am not particularly fond of the placement of the quote and multiquote options.  every forum i've ever seen those have been in the bottom right of posts not bottom left.  just a minor detail but it is familiar.

The speed on PC/laptop is not as good as previously in my experience.

Im pleased with the amount of features and info and everything, but it is pretty wonky aesthetically

• Administrators

Seems like a good chunk of design-related improvements, huh? Rest assured, these be fixed asap. Craig and I toyed around significantly with the overall stylesheet and as he mentioned already, the mobile version is still getting worked around. 

But we're on it and promise to deliver exactly what's been requested. Thanks friendos for sharing some insight on the matter. It's very much appreciated. :)

I haven't been around too much so I don't have a whole lot to add, but I do find the new design sort of loud and distracting. I don't even know why exactly, because it's not all that different from the previous version. Might just take some getting used to, or could just be old age. All I know is suddenly my eyes hurt ^_^.

LOVING the new site so far like the new emojis and the pictures on the home-screen. Love it. 

My only 2 worries are (and I'm sure you're working on it ^_^ ) 

-Status updates are more difficult to assess as of the moment. 

-When you quote things or make polls, it can leave a white text on a white surface or black text on a black surface.

I've disabled responsiveness for the mobile design until a debug on it has taken place - if accessing from a mobile, you'll get the full site rather than a responsive version.

Well done craig, this has seriously made the mobile version much better.  

• Tech Admin

If you had someone as a friend on the previous version of the forum, the system was changed to what is known as followers. The default options for preferences, is basically follow them, you get notifications and emails, you can choose, either or none but you can't chose what you want to be notified about.

Well that has now changed, so if you wish to update your preferences for the people you are following, you can.

On your profile page, you'll see a list of the people you are following

6ebc95d8dba454fc32b53d8fadb08586.png

Simply click the members name (for each one) and then you can make the relevant changes to what notifications you receive.

5917ce988fdd38a27dee0fbcef0ea3ac.gif

As a result you should stop receiving notifications for everything and you can now customise it to suit what you want to hear about from that member.

It's still a little slow on mobile, and unfortunately it prioritizes weird things, usually leaving white boxes in some places for a few seconds, (still persists in 'reloading' the background when scrolling, but only seems to be the background now.)

It has gotten a significant bit better, and I'm sure time will keep in improving, but the whole design just seems wrong for mobile.

It's too busy, too many floating boxes over a semi-static background.

Like right now in this thread, the actual thread takes up all of my screen (which is good) except for about an 1/8 or so of my screen on the left side. There it's just a background, it looks weird  having the 'site' not take up the whole screen.

Other than that, though, much better than it was a few days ago at least.

It's still a little slow on mobile, and unfortunately it prioritizes weird things, usually leaving white boxes in some places for a few seconds, (still persists in 'reloading' the background when scrolling, but only seems to be the background now.)

It has gotten a significant bit better, and I'm sure time will keep in improving, but the whole design just seems wrong for mobile.

It's too busy, too many floating boxes over a semi-static background.

Like right now in this thread, the actual thread takes up all of my screen (which is good) except for about an 1/8 or so of my screen on the left side. There it's just a background, it looks weird  having the 'site' not take up the whole screen.

Other than that, though, much better than it was a few days ago at least.

You got a touchscreen phone? cant you just zoom out because I can quite easily.