How do you find the look and feel of the new site?

The new site  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Tech Admin

It's still a little slow on mobile, and unfortunately it prioritizes weird things, usually leaving white boxes in some places for a few seconds, (still persists in 'reloading' the background when scrolling, but only seems to be the background now.)

It has gotten a significant bit better, and I'm sure time will keep in improving, but the whole design just seems wrong for mobile.

It's too busy, too many floating boxes over a semi-static background.

Like right now in this thread, the actual thread takes up all of my screen (which is good) except for about an 1/8 or so of my screen on the left side. There it's just a background, it looks weird  having the 'site' not take up the whole screen.

Other than that, though, much better than it was a few days ago at least.

​Mega, I hear you, I'm working hard to resolve bud and I hope to have all remaining issues resolved ASAP (hopefully tomorrow).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

So a week into it I can definitely say the loading time has been improved.

I really like the new design. 

The only thing I can complain about is the fact that editing posts is kind of a pain. Spoilers don't work how I want to and pressing the source button looks complicated compared to the old site.

• Administrators

Spoiler

I can also add BBCode into the spoiler.

:)

In your BBCode toolbar, you should see this button:

a657a6f785c2f66dabbac7af7b10b870.png

Clicking it will create a manageable spoiler so long as it's within the spoiler boundaries:

726523a62b173d669b138ec3772b6619.png

When you click the Source button, it activated the HTML version of the post. Unless you have knowledge of using HTML or want to include a special code that doesn't automatically convert into the desired widget, you won't ever need to use that button.

Hope that answers your problem @Lenne. :)

• Tech Admin

I'm just wondering if we could get status updates to work like on the old version of the site? Like having easier access to comments and more space before the status cuts off. I think at this point, that's my only real issue with this new site.

​In time, it will be a few updates before this feature change takes place and status updates are back to how they once were. I agree that it is not as good as it once was but status updates on the whole are massively improved. The sidebar is lacking.

However, have you seen?

f35a7337fce03d5bb95755260b61768d.png

d4873e71a9660f2f47e954e4bb1f245a.png

• Tech Admin

It's the same software as we had previously, it may be a custom modification that they have applied but I'll check. I don't think one exists for V4 yet but I'll check.

On another note, could everyone do me a favour and like this post for no other reason than I need to check out the popular post feature (it needs as many likes as possible).

Edited by Hells Warrrior
  • Moderators

Hidden Content

In your BBCode toolbar, you should see this button:

a657a6f785c2f66dabbac7af7b10b870.png

Clicking it will create a manageable spoiler so long as it's within the spoiler boundaries:

726523a62b173d669b138ec3772b6619.png

When you click the Source button, it activated the HTML version of the post. Unless you have knowledge of using HTML or want to include a special code that doesn't automatically convert into the desired widget, you won't ever need to use that button.

Hope that answers your problem @Lenne. :)

​Thank you for the reply, Festo. :Victory:

However the problem I have with spoilers is for example in my F1 thread the first spoiler tab I have has another spoiler within it, which was not there before, but it looks like I am too stupid to delete the spoiler that hides the spoiler, you know?

Now if the source function still would be just like the old forum I would have no problem deleting the spoiler, but now the HTML version looks a lot more complicated. 

Maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me though.

@InfestLithium , send help. D:

• Tech Admin

Hey folk's

You'll be glad too know, I have basically been working on the style for the site all day, ironing out bugs. You will not see it on the site yet but basically speaking I have narrowed down a few issues and cleaned up the code when and where possible and I have also tried to optimise as much as I possible can.

Still got a lot to do but I should be in a position over the next few days, where we can offer serious improvements on mobile. Here's a few snapshots of where we are at the moment..

Desktop View

b56269f1d47a4279bc7a4056f5e8c121.png

99ff90c6cd1fa3804cfd226fb804aa1d.png

454902154a4bc7af3af8ad0e99f033c3.png

Mobile / Tablet View

e86617cd4e02d08a328f8be90744ae93.png

aa9a79a7d00d0796425eac6fbe7a1bd0.png

(notice the resizing of the logo taken place on image below)

cd6575fabc50408903405f0e52b84421.png

(notice the sidebar on mobile view)

ead4d758207c25002077c69042e4fe53.png

Don't worry about the missing / wrong colours in images above, those are not my concern, what is my concern is getting everything work as it should be and as it was intended on mobile and desktop views. It's looking good at the moment and I'm optimising as much as I can when I see the oppurtunity to do that.

• Tech Admin

Hey Folk's,

Just a quick update, I'm confident (95%) that the styling issues should be resolved, I have tested this on Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer, I have tested this on different display sizes and everything should be looking good.

As a result, I have added 2 new options from the theme dropdown menu - you will see the following.

• List View - this is the default view for everyone, this is a responsive design and will adapt to the screensize that you are viewing the site in.
  • Grid View - This put certain as aspects of the site into a grid view style, this is the default view for everyone, this is a responsive design and will adapt to the screensize that you are viewing the site in.
  • Mobile Non Responsive - This is the list view style but with mobile responsiveness switched off.

Everyone has been reset to the List View style, feel free to adjust and feedback any issues, without the feedback I can only guess that issues exist and when we come across them ourselves - so please let us know of any issues.

Wow, you know how most of the orange stuff has been turned to that red? Its really nice even though its such a small change. Off topic to that, would it be possible to have the like button maybe a bit more distinguished? I liked say having the brain but maybe something new can be done for the normal like button?

It's takes about a minute to simply load each individual page. That in itself isn't too bad unless you want to actually read or post anything around the site. If I want to check the status of Zombies news, I fill the time it takes to click around switching to doing other tasks on other websites, which continue to run at their usual fast pace. It's bad enough that I don't much bother anymore to check this site for news for Zombies. It's so much easier to just hit up Youtube.

The optimization for mobile has made functionality suffer for the sake of it. I sure hope you guys are still working on these things, not dropped to stay as they are.

Also, I don't get the circle profile images? Is that a mobile thing? It'd make sense if image sizes were measured in πr2, but they're not. Any image uploaded to use as a profile picture has 21.5% of the image missing from view but is still using up space.

If it is any consolation, I do think the background image is nice. There's quite a while before the next game comes out, when the real traffic will come, so you guys have plenty of time to tinker with thinks. Good luck!

Edited by MysteryMachineX
  • Tech Admin

I like it. From the little I've seen, it doesn't look bad break already good features, so it's already okay in my book. Page loading can be faster though.

​I'm working on this, some mysql optimisation and caching improvements - also testing something else as well which may or not prove to be better.

• Tech Admin

It's takes about a minute to simply load each individual page. That in itself isn't too bad unless you want to actually read or post anything around the site. If I want to check the status of Zombies news, I fill the time it takes to click around switching to doing other tasks on other websites, which continue to run at their usual fast pace. It's bad enough that I don't much bother anymore to check this site for news for Zombies. It's so much easier to just hit up Youtube.

The optimization for mobile has made functionality suffer for the sake of it. I sure hope you guys are still working on these things, not dropped to stay as they are.

Also, I don't get the circle profile images? Is that a mobile thing? It'd make sense if image sizes were measured in πr2, but they're not. Any image uploaded to use as a profile picture has 21.5% of the image missing from view but is still using up space.

If it is any consolation, I do think the background image is nice. There's quite a while before the next game comes out, when the real traffic will come, so you guys have plenty of time to tinker with thinks. Good luck!

​Mobile isn't the root cause, the root cause is mysql gone away errors and too many connection errors in the logs. I'm working on it, the general concensus is that we should have page loads of 1 to 2 seconds.

The only issue I seem to have concerns about is the status updates thing. I really liked how accessible it was on the previous site. New info? Scroll to top and type. Plus I seem to keep losing the home-page feed of status updates as well on the page... Perhaps it deserves it's own tab along the top? 

• 2 months later...