"Mistakes Were Made" -- Advice on what NOT to do

Hey everyone, FatedTitan here!  With the new Call of Duty being teased and it being a Treyarch title, zombies is just around the corner.  While we are all very excited, I think it would also be wise to post some advice for Treyarch and the Zombies team on mistakes they've made in the past, hoping that they do not repeat those mistakes.

So if you have anything, throw it up here and hopefully they'll see it.

For me, I really hope that they make it where custom zombies can be counted on global leaderboards if you are using normal settings.  I'd really like to go for high rounds with my friends, but it's impossible to do a legitimate high round run with a duo in Black Ops 2.  Make it like Black Ops, where I could just make a private match and go for as high as I wanted.

1.  Private Match zombies counting on global leaderboards.

2. No bank.

3. No friendly AI.  (though I actually liked Leroy/Sloth...very helpful with EE)

4. One piece at a time buildables.

5. Denizens. (oh my gosh yes please no more)

6. Terrible snipers.

7. Fog

8. Ability to get tons of points and pack-a-punch on round 1.

9. George Romero

10. Perma-Perks

11. Bus-style transportation

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, i agree, a few "must have's" in my opinion

1) Private match option.  Can't believe they missed this in BO2 with the 1-4 player leaderboards with no way to easily play a 2 or 3 person game

2) No bank.  The bank in buried and die rise completely removed any early round strategy from the game. ruined those maps in my opinion

3) Never again with the friendly AI.  Buried could have been a good map.  but it isn't because of a few mistakes.

• Administrators
1) One piece at a time buildables
We love a challenge; but this isn't so much a challenge as it is boring and time-consuming.

2) Denizens or anything like them
Irritating nuisances. Easy to kill, but without even the slightest benefit.

3) DSR-50 or any sniper like it
Maybe a personal preference only; but among all the weapons I despise from BO2, the DSR-50 takes the cake by a landslide. I can tolerate any of the other existing zombies snipers.

1.) The Fog- Never again should I have to not be able to see the map.

2.) The ability to get all points and Pack-a-Punch on round 1. Whether that be the big guy, bank or weapon chalks fault.

3.) George Romero. Man he is a pain to walk around with.

Maybe a personal preference only; but among all the weapons I despise from BO2, the DSR-50 takes the cake by a landslide. I can tolerate any of the other existing zombies snipers.

DSR PAP with iron sights and Double Tap 2.0 is a monster, OHK headshots to round 45+...

Here's a few for deliberation:

1)   Perma-Perks (Persistent Upgrades)

2)   Bank (I know its been said but I'll say it again bacause its that important)

3)   The Bus style of transportation. It's bad enough waiting for a bus IRL, we don't need it in a game.

Zombies needs to flow smoothly, and the bus and elevators just took away from that.

BO2 seemed to make too many things a pain in the arse - never difficult, just time consuming and boring when doing for the 100th time.

This might be a little controversial but the ranking system should go, or be overhauled.

It just lead to random matches being painful to get into, and people dropping out far too frequently to protect their 'rank'.

1- bank is a double edge sword, on one end it makes for a great casual game set-up, on the other it takes away from strategy. i say keep it but max 5000 points

2- whos whotombstone- never again..........need i say more?

3- make perma-perks more difficult to obtain- remove money shot

4- vote to kick lobby system

5- less EEs that take 90 minutes to do although i appreciate the objectives, i miss simple maps like kino

6- never make a pap door or traps dependent on a turbine that will break in 5 minutes again

- Bank (make it a Custom option if you won't get rid of it).
- Perma Perks (Some were overpowered, some were under. Maybe tweak them so they only give really small benefits and aren't game changing).
- Inventory space for Buildables. Going back and forth for pieces was annoying, have it like MotD and Origins "Quest Items" were you can pick up multiple items.
- Non-ranked Private matches . Customs are a neat idea but bad since it won't record private matches. Make it like BO1 or allow us to "close" public slots so no randoms can join you in a lobby.
- Gimmicky perks (I could live without Tombstone and Who's Who, make them interesting like WaW/BO1 perks).
- Weapon storage. I'm not against it but at least put it's location in a hard to reach, possibly far away from spawn place. So you have to work for it.
- Buildable Wonder Weapons. Wonder Weapons are cool because you can PaP them and upgrade them which you can't do with the buildable ones (except the staves)
- Don't have Maxis or Richtofen blabbing on from the start about doing the egg, especially with easy directions on what to do. What makes the Easter Eggs great is discovering the steps with little to no help. Think Ascension's 1st step (Gersch'ing that out of bounds thing, hinted at only by the flashing and that whistling that showed you should be in this area) or all of Moon's steps (still think this was best Easter Egg in terms of the steps, minimal players, and reward).

Adding onto the useless snipers, I'd just say no useless weapons. I've said it in a few threads before, but there's some cool stuff you could do to make pretty much any weapon great in the right hands. Give launchers knockback for example. There should always be a reason to keep each weapon. I get the idea that the box is a gamble, but if everyone has a different weapon that they use in MP, yet (WWs aside) they all end up with one of five guns in zombies, that's no good. Make every bad weapon "high skill high reward" so there's some versatility in gameplay style. If you're a silenced SMG kinda guy in MP, you shouldn't be like ALL HAIL THE RPD in zombies.

So yeah. No useless weapons por favor.

DSR is very strong.. most ppl I find like it. 

Why are perma perks a bad thing?

The actual machine would be ideal but I'll take what I can get!

Why not have all perks available on all maps? It seems like they leave out a useful perk (i.e. Flopper or Double Tap) on maps that would benefit greatly from it.

Mule Kick was thrown into most, but not all? If we can't purchase more than four please let us choose from the entire list!

One thing that is really frustrating on early rounds.. the windmilling zombies!! Why are they going so hard already? When you're knifing them and one bastard double slaps you down it's a little ridiculous. Amirite?

1) One piece at a time buildables
We love a challenge; but this isn't so much a challenge as it is boring and time-consuming.

2) Denizens or anything like them
Irritating nuisances. Easy to kill, but without even the slightest benefit.

New Characters, I cannot stand any of them. (Not including the guys from MotD)

Fog

Denizens- I hear their screeches in my nightmares.

Stupid boss zombies-Panzer thing and the electro thing specifically.

ninja crawler things----horrible idea.

useless perks like who's who and buckcherry or whatever it was called, Just bring back PHD.

buildables seem unnecessary and tedious  

Zombies needs to return to its roots with a map based on survival, not just a big scavenger hunt. I like Origins but at times it seems like a chore to get everything.

Im tired of all the one and done wonder weapons, also I'm not a fan of the mk2 Ray Gun, if it's not broke don't fix it. 

Alternate zombie game modes, seriously Turned was the dumbest thing ever.

Also my hatred for who ever thought Tranzit and Die Rise was a good idea rivals only my hatred for Jar Jar Binks. 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hate the elevators. If they worked like real elevators, they may have been tolerable.

No buildables.

Not opening 100 doors to get to BK, it's an early game weapon. (I'm looking at you bo1).

Annoying ≠ fun. Busywork ≠ fun. 

Survival maps that are fun would be great. No fire, no random perks that take 20 rounds to drop. No gimmicks, just make survival maps: guns, perks, pap, and doors, that once opened, offer decent training.

And can we have late game traps again? Having traps become irrelevant at 45 on SoE is the exact opposite of their purpose. Their purpose is to be the last hope, when nothing else works. In SoE, AA type pap guns still kill easily long after traps are practically useless. This isn't right. I do occasionally activate traps, but there is zero need to. Something that kills zombies and gives no points, while taking points, should be a last choice option.

Either make shields that last, or make the game playable without them.

Please have more gameplay variety. Camping will never get as far training, but it's fun to have a few camping places in the map to add replay value.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2016 at 6:25 PM, 83457 said:

Not opening 100 doors to get to BK, it's an early game weapon. (I'm looking at you bo1).

Kinda weird how nobody seems to bother getting the Bowie Knife in BO3 anymore. I still remember in BO1 the advanced players would always go for the Bowie Knife as early as possible, and I sort of liked the idea that it was several doors away because the better players who were more skilled in the art of point-whoring would be rewarded. Though it used to really irk me on Der Reise when people would ruin a great early camping spot (the power room) by opening the door to the Bowie Knife.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The bank should of stayed. That was actually a cool Idea along with the fridge. I don't get why people have a problem with being able to save a limited amount of points just in case.. I mean everyone have their own opinion.

image.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2016 at 9:55 AM, RequixEclipse said:

The bank should of stayed. That was actually a cool Idea along with the fridge. I don't get why people have a problem with being able to save a limited amount of points just in case.. I mean everyone have their own opinion.

image.gif

Buried, i always hit the bank at start. Die Rise, i never ever use it.  Tranzit, i played recently and forgot about the bank. It is almost necessary in Tranzit to hit the bank to allieviate that maps boring set up marathon, but i always forget it's there now.

My fridge was always stocked, but i never used the gun in there. 

On 23 July 2016 at 2:55 PM, RequixEclipse said:

image.gif

The bank should have stayed if the points cap was brought down greatly. Perhaps down to 10K.

Archived