COD 2015 Viral Campaign (video/pictures) - CODZ official discussion thread

The wolf obviously means this is the legendary Call of Duty: Iron Wolf ;)

But in all seriousness, I still here something behind the horn in snap 5. As far as the latest update is concerned, the crows have to be attracted to something dead. There's blood around them in the other snaps too... It could just be a symbol for death, or we may see what the cause of all these crows is later on.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen it touched on yet, so I wanted to add to the discussion about references to the Soviet-Afghan war. 

From the biography of Dr. Salim Ahmed Salim:

Dr. Salim was elected as President of the United Nations Security Council in January 1976 and went on to serve as President of the Thirty-Fourth Session of the United Nations General Assembly in September 1979. During his one year tenure of office, he also presided over the Sixth and Seventh Emergency Special Sessions of the United Nations General Assembly in January and July 1980 respectively.

The Sixth Emergency Special Session of the UN General Assembly was called to discuss "The situation in Afghanistan and its implications for international peace and security". The resolution they reached at this session (detailed here) was an immediate withdrawal of foreign intervention by member states, essentially to let Afghanistan fight their own battle. We all know how that worked out. 

The Seventh Emergency Special Session six months later was held to discuss the situation between Palestine and Isreal. They resolved (detailed here) that the only way to achieve lasting peace in the Middle East was for Israel to withdraw from Jerusalem and all other occupied Arab territories. Again, we all know how that worked out.  

Other than that, almost all of Dr. Salim's work was centered around Africa and his home country of Tanzania, including holding public office there for almost 30 years. If this is indeed the man that Treyarch is referencing, you'd have to think his time as President of the UN is why.

As far as a timeline goes, I tend to agree with @Matuzz that the snapchats are the memories of a soldier being drawn from his subconscious, so I don't really know where that leaves us. It does seem like we're heading to the Middle East though. 

Expanding on what MixMasterNut said earlier...

The icon for Dr. Salim (callofduty) snapchat changes every time a new teaser is released. I've been watching it and this seems to be a fact. If anyone can provide other pics that would be appreciated.

IT SEEMS TO BE A COUNTDOWN!! The white space, pie slice looking shape, is disappearing with every new teaser.

The colored area is replaced with an image from the latest teaser. Could the next one be a trailer of something BIG?!

Maybe we are just very close to something huge... Thoughts?

http://gyazo.com/4d9ede411f4fbd9f5f5158bf276ef286(MOD please help with image embed)

The icon for Dr. Salim (callofduty) snapchat changes every time a new teaser is released. I've been watching it and this seems to be a fact. If anyone can provide other pics that would be appreciated.

IT SEEMS TO BE A COUNTDOWN!! The white space, pie slice looking shape, is disappearing with every new teaser.

The colored area is replaced with an image from the latest teaser. Could the next one be a trailer of something BIG?!

http://gyazo.com/4d9ede411f4fbd9f5f5158bf276ef286(MOD please help with image embed)

snapchat stories are timed and show a collage of the images available in the story 

that's all it is 

snapchat stories are timed and show a collage of the images available in the story 

that's all it is 

Darn, thought I was on to something. Thanks for the clarification!

@swappingspit Excellent find. If it is Black Ops 3, we have no idea what Alex Mason did between 1979-1985, only that he went back to war/the CIA before retiring. That period is known as the second cold war... 

And Waterman's Sunscreen, which uses that exact trident from the photo, was founded in 2005 but I doubt that means anything. I'm not seeing anything else, so it's probably just a coincidence that the same trident was used.

Edited by gfn21

A thought just occurred to me. There's still a time-frame mentioned in the Black Ops storyline that wasn't actually expanded on in-game. Operation Charybdis, I believe. If this is indeed Black Ops 3, it wouldn't be too farfetched to say that this game could cover that time frame (ie. after BO but before BOII).

A thought just occurred to me. There's still a time-frame mentioned in the Black Ops storyline that wasn't actually expanded on in-game. Operation Charybdis, I believe. If this is indeed Black Ops 3, it wouldn't be too farfetched to say that this game could cover that time frame (ie. after BO but before BOII).

OperationCharybdisIntel.jpg

1978, that would be 10 years after the Black Ops storyline. It also would match the whole "wait, the Black Hawk did not exist in the second world war"-thing, as the storyline of Black Ops 3 probably would extend into 1979 (the year the UH-60 was put in to service). Good thought!

I forgot about that operation, somehow! Whoever Mason, Hudson and Weaver were after, it led to the CIA "burning" and hunting after them. This is the last time Weaver is ever mentioned, and the time period works :D

Edited by gfn21

The "bad memories" the voice is talking about could be from whatever happened during Operation Charybdis. That said, Mason had been through so much shit at that point, what would be bad enough to affect him? They end up returning to the CIA, too. Maybe Mason resumed the search after he was believed to be dead in 1989... And the only person I can see them giving up everything to track down would be Resnov...

What if, Resnov survived. Or at least, hm, isn't there a quote that says Resnov is not who he says he is or something? I think he is like the core of Black Ops and World at War, like he has more story to tell?

• Administrators

And Waterman's Sunscreen, which uses that exact trident from the photo, was founded in 2005 but I doubt that means anything. I'm not seeing anything else, so it's probably just a coincidence that the same trident was used.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that we may be presuming the full emblem-there just appear to be no ties (and I can't imagine why there would be) to Watermans Applied Science; and obviously, a Trademarked logo would probably be avoided as much as possible. 

I stole-and all creds to @LiamFTWinter's-remake of the emblem for an example modification. I'm thinking there's something in the space below the trident that they aren't ready for us to see, hence, the placement being right behind the tree, effectively blocking that whole area. Maybe I'm wrong. I just think Waterman is a red herring, though @blackfire561 did a great job of identifying the design so quickly.

gallery_137255_13_28986.png

Edited by NaBrZHunter

@swappingspit Excellent find. If it is Black Ops 3, we have no idea what Alex Mason did between 1979-1985, only that he went back to war/the CIA before retiring. That period is known as the second cold war...

Was looking at this the other day too. He has direct links to Cuba. Though he doesn't seem shady.

Salim Ahmed Salim

• Deputy Chief Representative of the Zanzibar Office based in Havana, Cuba 1961–1962

• Tanzania Ambassador to Cuba 1970–1980 (served while at the UN)

http://www.businesstimes.co.tz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3930:why-did-che-guevara-come-secretly-in-tanzania-i&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=57

"The Argentinean revolutionary and hero of the Cuban revolution, Ernesto “Che” Guevara, spent over four months in Tanzania between 1965 and 1966.

Che spent time with Salim Ahmed Salim and his family in Zanzibar. Salim was Tanzania’s Ambassador to Egypt from 1964 to 1965. Salim invited Che to his house for a meal. Salim’s wife, Amne Ahmed, prepared a meal for the renowned revolutionary. Che and Salim spent several hours discussing the Cuban revolution and the strength of the liberation movements in Africa."

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that we may be presuming the full emblem-there just appear to be no ties (and I can't imagine why there would be) to Watermans Applied Science; and obviously, a Trademarked logo would probably be avoided as much as possible. 

I stole-and all creds to @LiamFTWinter's-remake of the emblem for an example modification. I'm thinking there's something in the space below the trident that they aren't ready for us to see, hence, the placement being right behind the tree, effectively blocking that whole area. Maybe I'm wrong. I just think Waterman is a red herring, though @blackfire561 did a great job of identifying the design so quickly.

gallery_137255_13_28986.png

Yeah, I'm beginning to think it's just a red herring myself. I haven't thought about a piece of the logo not showing, but it makes a lot of sense, Anything could go in that space, too. It could be as obvious as the title "black ops" with the trident's points making the 3, or it could be the game's main faction. Either way, you've definitely got a good point!

Was looking at this the other day too. He has direct links to Cuba. Though he doesn't seem shady.

Salim Ahmed Salim

• Deputy Chief Representative of the Zanzibar Office based in Havana, Cuba 1961–1962

• Tanzania Ambassador to Cuba 1970–1980 (served while at the UN)

http://www.businesstimes.co.tz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3930:why-did-che-guevara-come-secretly-in-tanzania-i&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=57

"The Argentinean revolutionary and hero of the Cuban revolution, Ernesto “Che” Guevara, spent over four months in Tanzania between 1965 and 1966.

Che spent time with Salim Ahmed Salim and his family in Zanzibar. Salim was Tanzania’s Ambassador to Egypt from 1964 to 1965. Salim invited Che to his house for a meal. Salim’s wife, Amne Ahmed, prepared a meal for the renowned revolutionary. Che and Salim spent several hours discussing the Cuban revolution and the strength of the liberation movements in Africa."

Amazing. Everybody on these forums, aside from myself, is literally a genius :P

And you're right, there isn't anything particularly shady about him. His name may just be a hint at the time period, and the person speaking in these videos is probably somebody entirely different. 

What if, Resnov survived. Or at least, hm, isn't there a quote that says Resnov is not who he says he is or something? I think he is like the core of Black Ops and World at War, like he has more story to tell?

Resnov has been the link between every Treyarch Call of Duty, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't show up again. Woods made the point that Mason saw him die, but he clearly survived. Why couldn't the same happen with Resnov? There is no proof of a body, only Hudson telling Mason and Woods that Resnov was killed, which may have just been an attempt to keep Mason focused. We don't know who they were after on Operation Charybdis, but Resnov is a possibility, even if it is an unlikely one... 

I like this Operation Charybdis idea. It evades the problem of the alternate endings, is a pre-sequel, fits the time frame and can give us a really nice story. I hope it is this now, it makes so much sense.

I'm thinking that Dr. Salim may just be a character & the Trident image/logo is just like the GK Nova logo from Black Ops. Both fictional.

Just do a google image sim watch for "Trident" & almost the exact logo comes up multiple times.

I'm currently leaning towards the Serbian, Bosnian, Kosovo or Chechnya wars. There are heaps of interesting plays/motives behind those conflicts. And all of the Snapchat images really relate to those areas of the world. Plus those stories haven't been told in a COD game. They also link back to the Middle East with Afgahnistan/Pakistan/Syria/Libya etc.

I just can't imagine that Treyarch would still continue the Black Ops story. That is so 2010! Haha

• Administrators

Another thought just occurred to me. The rapidness of these snapchats...they remind me of the rapidness of the loading screens in the first Black Ops. As in, the little video loading screen that would pop up after you exit a mission or map. I hope that makes sense.

Yep! Alex has flashbacks throughout the campaign in the same style as he talks to Hudson.