Treyarch is Hiring

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, I tried applying to pretty much every position at Treyarch, a few times to ones I really felt I could do. Unfortunately, they passed on me. But what's amusing is that the very same day that this tweet came out was when I finally got my rejection… six months later. It almost makes me wonder if they only now actually started checking the applications.

Good luck to anyone that tries. Some advice: besides the obvious things like actually having the skill or experience to do the job you're applying for, here's a little tip. Live in California, or San Diego specifically. It will vastly improve your odds. I have a friend who works at Telltale Games, and while he is absolutely great at modeling, we both knew several other modelers that were also really good. Why did he get chosen out of all of them? He already lived in Chicago, where Telltale Games is located. You can tell employers that you will move on your own dime, but quite frankly, often they simply won't believe you. It is best to just already live there. And again, this is just something far less important than work experience or anything like that, which any of you applying should already be painstakingly aware.

I wish you luck!

I have a friend who works at acti in HR, spoke with her just trying to get a vibe for the company. Requirements for developers (not all the same) include but aren't limited to Experience in particular field, experience working under deadlines (with references), however they don't require a degree but, if someone applies for the same position and they possess one, you'll be drawing the short stick. 

Putting your name in the hat never hurts, but it helps if you're using a large piece of paper. 

I know they used to (probably still do) actively hire from within the modding community, without prior professional experience. Since they can see your work and that you are comfortable with Radiant already. It even says on the job application something like 'and you will REALLY get our attention if you are familiar with Radiant'. Of course I'm just talking about level design work, nothing else.

I have a friend who works at acti in HR, spoke with her just trying to get a vibe for the company. Requirements for developers (not all the same) include but aren't limited to Experience in particular field, experience working under deadlines (with references), however they don't require a degree but, if someone applies for the same position and they possess one, you'll be drawing the short stick. 

Putting your name in the hat never hurts, but it helps if you're using a large piece of paper. 

That's not strictly true with regards to degrees.

Any job that requires creative thinking or design will be judged on your working portfolio first.

If a degreeless person is more talented than someone with a degree, the person with the degree will be drawing the short stick.

That's not strictly true with regards to degrees.

Any job that requires creative thinking or design will be judged on your working portfolio first.

If a degreeless person is more talented than someone with a degree, the person with the degree will be drawing the short stick.

I was assuming that both candidates were equally experienced, my bad.

Ticky tack post on my part :P

Ha, MegaAfroMan. Since it is Call of Duty, probably no. However, if there was going to be ANYONE in making Call of Duty, it'd probably be the Zombies team that would be willing to ask.

As for what you need to get a job, it varies from company to company and person to person. Treyarch, being a AAA company, can ask for steep fees to pay for even the lowest tiers. Often these are a few years experience of already doing the job elsewhere. They also often ask that you have shipped a title for a major console at least once before. So… Treyarch is likely not going to be your big start or break. But it is possible.

When it comes to what matters more, I find it difficult to rank any as more important than the other, but if I had to, I think it might be best to rank them in this order:

Skill doing the task at hand / Portfolio

Experience / Resume

Location / Easy-to-hirability

Attitude

The thing with modding is that it is "sorta" experience. By that I mean, some people will consider it experience doing the task at hand, but not being an actual career many might not. However, modding definitely would contribute to the skill category. So it is definitely an extra few points to be a modder. I've spoken to people who worked at Blizzard that seemed to show interest in people who modded. (Given they still didn't hire me, so take it with a grain of salt. There's still all the other things to consider.)