Collaborative custom map.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.... I feel like people will automatically say "new characters" despite the sheer amount of work it takes to get that accomplished.

Hard work is needed if you want to achieve a GREAT custom Map. Not just a bad

Farm map! Or School Map!

More along the lines of arrival which has taken a long time to achieve but in the end it's something that will really impact the community.

Hmm.... I feel like people will automatically say "new characters" despite the sheer amount of work it takes to get that accomplished.

Farm map! Or School Map!

More along the lines of arrival which has taken a long time to achieve but in the end it's something that will really impact the community.

Pretty sure Arrival is cancelled? Not heard from anything from those guys in a long time...

Farm map! Or School Map!

Pretty sure Arrival is cancelled? Not heard from anything from those guys in a long time...

Oh It's still coming. I remember Jrizzo talking about it back on the old forums and we got so much behind the scenes information and screenshots. The team really did a Good job with Arrival and they said it was their most ambitious project to date. However all that mapping is hard work especially with the amount of detail they put in it as well as the brand new soundtrack. So no it's not cancelled, it's just taking a while to complete.

I think that whatever map idea people come up with, it is going to have to feature the O4 characters from WaW. The reason for this is that although the character models are easily changeable in WaW Radiant, the voices are a lot more tricky and the idea of replacing all the WaW character voice files for those of say Origins would be a nightmare.

Basically rather than go too OTT with the idea, you should try and just make it a map/story that takes place around the WaW or BO1 time period. Perhaps a map that takes place inbetween Kino and Ascension. Possibly to explain how we end up in the cosmodrome?

Also, the more detail heavy the location you choose, the more complicated the process and longer it would take to produce.

I think that whatever map idea people come up with, it is going to have to feature the O4 characters from WaW. The reason for this is that although the character models are easily changeable in WaW Radiant, the voices are a lot more tricky and the idea of replacing all the WaW character voice files for those of say Origins would be a nightmare.

Basically rather than go too OTT with the idea, you should try and just make it a map/story that takes place around the WaW or BO1 time period. Perhaps a map that takes place inbetween Kino and Ascension. Possibly to explain how we end up in the cosmodrome?

Also, the more detail heavy the location you choose, the more complicated the process and longer it would take to produce.

Changing the quotes is not all that hard, just time consuming and heavy on the memory (which as with everything in WAW counts towards the limit), would be pretty simple to use the Origins playermodels and add a few Origins quotes here and there - making an entire new set of characters? Not so much..

And I agree, I wouldn't get so hung up about the characters and stuff, get the location and storyline sorted out first, playermodels and voxs and such are minor details in the grand scheme of things.

We have a location and we have a storyline that we are working out that I think is kind of a good way to acknowledge all of the community who work hard on theorizing about things. I am thinking that we need some form of plaque somewhere in the map with the names of members who request their name their to acknowledge them? Nothing to big but just so that they can be acknowledged in a good way.

Also, if we make it WaW that isnt new and innovative, either way new characters were voted. Everyone uses WaW characters, it is the worst part of maps really. I know its not easy to add new characters but then there isnt even a reason for them to be there sometimes. Having a map before Ascension could also lead to this map being accepted as non canon, we want it to be realistic, long standing and fit in the story as much as possible.

Edited by Nightmare Voyager

We have a location and we have a storyline that we are working out that I think is kind of a good way to acknowledge all of the community who work hard on theorizing about things. I am thinking that we need some form of plaque somewhere in the map with the names of members who request their name their to acknowledge them? Nothing to big but just so that they can be acknowledged in a good way.

Also, if we make it WaW that isnt new and innovative, either way new characters were voted. Everyone uses WaW characters, it is the worst part of maps really. I know its not easy to add new characters but then there isnt even a reason for them to be there sometimes. Having a map before Ascension could also lead to this map being accepted as non canon, we want it to be realistic, long standing and fit in the story as much as possible.

If we use new characters, I'm perfectly able to do a bit of low-budget voice recording. 

Voices I can do: 

-Heath ledger Joker. 

-Robert-Carlyle Rumpelstiltskin

-Jim Carry

- Evil laugh

-Turn-of-the-century-bully-laugh 

- Stereotypical Irish, German, and Country accents. 

I already have a guy who could at least voice one person and is more than happy to do so. Lets wait until we have made all the characters to decide on voices.

Guys, guys, guys, please listen to me.  After speaking to a few mappers adding new characters and voices is adding complexity that is making it more difficult to actually get people to want to take this on.

They would much rather concentrate on other things than this.

I understand that maybe frustrating to you, but I gotta feeling that's just going to be the way it is.

Brand new characters are not going to work imo and going down that route will lead to disappointment.

Listen to what Stevie said and DBZ said and try to work towards that.

Okay, so Origins characters? That was kind of our original draft anyways but if its to hard to do, then we will just have to make it Origins, which is completely fine as that was the first draft. My question is, can you add quotes in? My friend can do the younger Richtofen and Dempsey really well and I am sure having new quotes from him would make the map better, just is it easy to do? Not all quotes just for a few?

Guys, guys, guys, please listen to me. After speaking to a few mappers adding new characters and voices is adding complexity that is making it more difficult to actually get people to want to take this on.

I understand that maybe frustrating to you, but I gotta feeling that's just going to be the way it is.

Brand new characters are not going to work imo and going down that route will lead to disappointment.

Ok I have a solution.

We will make 2 versions of the map. One will be the true map for the story and innovation.

The other will be a watered down version with the O4 default models for the characters.

The real version will be left on the table for someone who has the will to achieve greatness.

The other version will be called the Lite version and will be th one we present to the map makers. It will have none of the story or the characters or the new song or the Story Easter egg but it will have a new Easter egg for the sake of not leaving this map without some sort of Easter egg or reward. We can probably come up with something. We could probably use the Origins models which while kind of meh would at least give the map something different to look at. We will of course have to water down the wonder weapon but the original will still b completed and released as a post in all it's glory. He who map te original map will achieve so much glory that UGX mods will look like a child's work.

It would be a version that is easier for Mappers to create and they won't have to strain themselves too hard.

Edited by Black Hand Smith

We arent having the custom map have the WaW characters lol, its fine just keep to Origins, its doesnt mess it up to much and if you like, since this is what I am doing after, you can rework it all into a post later on. I mean, you can get your version made but I think making it so it can be made while not being like a stock WaW map is the best thing we can do.

We arent having the custom map have the WaW characters lol, its fine just keep to Origins, its doesnt mess it up to much and if you like, since this is what I am doing after, you can rework it all into a post later on. I mean, you can get your version made but I think making it so it can be made while not being like a stock WaW map is the best thing we can do.

That's why we should make 2. One for the mappers the other using the things we have worked on already. I updated so refresh this post

Guys, guys, guys, please listen to me. After speaking to a few mappers adding new characters and voices is adding complexity that is making it more difficult to actually get people to want to take this on.

Ok I have a solution.

We will make 2 versions of the map. One will be the true map for the story and innovation.

The other will be a watered down version with the O4 default models for the characters.

The real version will be left on the table for someone who has the will to achieve greatness.

The other version will be called the Lite version and will be th one we present to the map makers. It will have none of the story or the characters or the new song or the Story Easter egg but it will have a new Easter egg for the sake of not leaving this map without some sort of Easter egg or reward. We can probably come up with something. We could probably use the Origins models which while kind of meh would at least give the map something different to look at. We will of course have to water down the wonder weapon but the original will still b completed and released as a post in all it's glory. He who map te original map will achieve so much glory that UGX mods will look like a child's work.

It would be a version that is easier for Mappers to create and they won't have to strain themselves too hard.

Good luck making the 'true' version with the innovative features and amazing storyline and player quotes then...and good luck finding a mapper for the 'lite' version :)