What if there was a game dedicated to zombies?

Before we get started, YES. I do know that there are other games dedicated to zombies only. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What if Treyarch/Infinity Ward/Sledgehammer made a CoD game specifically dedicated to zombies?

Think about it: there would be more memory to put in more maps, weapons, and other features. Yes, there would still be multiplayer, but multiplayer survival or grief.

Instead of having 3 base maps, there could be 7 or 8 maps. Even a "Zombies Campaign", where it shows all the maps and easter eggs to finish the storyline. Even better, like in WaW, you could build your own maps and even have your own perks, weapons, and easter eggs in those maps. There could be better leaderboards, ranking systems, and maybe if you rank up, you could start off with a perk or a different weapon or something. 

Well, share your ideas in the comments!

(First topic......HECK YEAH!)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been discussed for years now, and while I'm all for it, there seems to be people who don't think it will happen or it's a bad idea economically.  

I did notice that when Giant Bomb reviewed the Havoc DLC, they mentioned wishing that the zombies mode would get spun off into its own game, because they didn't like paying for zombies in their DLC and thought it was a horrible mode.

For more laughability about how bad they think the zombies mode is, how they don't understand it, etc, watch their playthrough (skip to 34:00):

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-havoc-pac/2300-9896/ 

And leave a bunch of comments!

I dont particularly want a zombies campaign, but I liked the idea of a Zombies collection. Imagine having the past maps remastered, two or three new maps and DLCs to add on. I always thought if they did this type of thing it would be interesting if it was like, the next 3arch game comes with two discs or something for space. But I dont know all of the technicalities its just what I hope for.

According to the ps3 leaderboards, I believe 24 million people have played BO2. Way more than I thought there would be.

Even if we say a quarter of that is the amount of people that bought the game, that's 6 million unique people on one platform.

If we say half of that number is the number of people who would buy the game, is 3 million sales good enough for 3arc/acti (for one platform).

I would also suggest that the people buying a zombies only game, would be much more receptive to dlc purchases, given that if you didn't buy dlc, you would have 4 maps in 3 games, out of a possible 16. Needless to say, if you like the mode, dlc is basically the only lifeline we have.

Another advantage of a potential zombies only game would be not having to release a new base (retail) game. They could keep going with dlc instead.

I dont particularly want a zombies campaign, but I liked the idea of a Zombies collection. Imagine having the past maps remastered, two or three new maps and DLCs to add on. I always thought if they did this type of thing it would be interesting if it was like, the next 3arch game comes with two discs or something for space. But I dont know all of the technicalities its just what I hope for.

I do like this idea, maybe a compromise: Zombies campaign, where you have to do easter eggs and complete the storyline and Survival, just kill the zombies, do Easter Eggs for weapons and such.

• Administrators

Just as a heads up @xACE_OF_AWSOMx, edit your previous post and add to it instead of triple posting ;)

A Zombies campaign would be pretty cool once the story has been completed and figured out, but I don't think it should happen before. It would be cool as a tribute game with every map completed and no future ones (with the same story) to be added on.

@Tac, just throw out ideas on what should be in a zombies-exclusive game!

There could be training tutorial maps, or camping tips, or stuff.

Maybe, you could make your own perks, buildables, weapons and even Easter Eggs. Wouldn't that be cool?

For a storyline, I don't know, maybe Richtofen ultimately ends up with all of the Aether/Agartha power and controls Earth via Zombies. Then, new characters, or the old Russman-Marlton-Misty (Stuhlinger is richtofen's host) group could team up with Nikolai, Tank, and Takeo to destroy Richtofen.

Now, List some ideas!

This has been discussed a fair few times in the past.  I'd love for it to happen, just not sure it will or can.

I'll explain what I believe could make it work and practical to do.

Let's assume that they put an entire team from Treyarch on creating a zombies only game, or zombies dedicated game.

There's a good reason I say dedicated; I don't believe the game could be made without some aspect of MP in it.

There just isn't the market for a AAA zombies only game, but I believe there could be as mentioned above.

Zombies came from COD; a niche turned into something huge.  CS:GO was a half life mod, which turned into something huge.

For this to work, there needs to be the MP aspect in there for the more casual players to buy into.

From a business perspective, without that Treyarch just can't risk it.

They need 12 maps.

The maps need to have been designed in collaboration between the MP team, and the zombies team.

Zombies team are designing the udead slaying aspect, MP team are ensuring the maps are feasible for MP gameplay - to me, this is mainly about the angles they create.

It needs a lockable and scaleable mission aspect for both MP and zombies.

I have too many ideas on this to dump them all here, so I'll try and keep it short.

3 levels of storyline.

Level 1 is mainly for the MP guys - get to say round 10 on the first map, unlocks MP for it and then the next map.

Level 2 is for the slayers out there, but not the truly dedicated.  Round 30/40 needs to be reached to reach the next map, and continue the storyline.

Level 3 is for the hardcore - once you beat round 50 or 60, everything is unlocked (including anything you have 'built' already available).

Level 2 would be repeatable, as it's mainly story focused.  Maybe there could be some options in here for turning perks on or off.

Level 3 would be my favorite option - everything turned off, everyone's level, record attempting mode.  I've said a few times, I'm cool with them adding buildables and what not, but when I've built the Ice staff 30 times already that week, not sure I need to do it again.

I can expand all aspects of this with my own ideas, but I'd love to hear yours.

Maybe, you could even record your own soundtrack and add it into a map....the options are limitless in a zombies-only game.

that seems to be a little far-fetched for me.  there still would certainly be limits in a zombies only game, but it would give them the freedom to give more options than as it is currently constituted

If you can customize the whole game it wont be a zombies game as such it will be your game. Which is a bad basis for a game: Create your own game using our basic layout, we left you all the hard work! Yay!

At this point, I really don't see why they don't do some kind of standalone Zombies collection honestly. They technically have already for iOS, they could easily do a standalone arcade DLC for consoles/PC that just has a bundle of everything Zombies all in one location.

I really think Treyarch needs to go in this direction with a zombie campaign. If not, then go back to using historical settings like WWII or Vietnam again. CoDs campaigns are always alright simply because the game has great controls and nice "blockbuster" moments that keep it from being like other FPS. But the campaign's stories have become so cliche and rinse and repeat. Advanced Warfare would have been a really good campaign had we not just had two mediocre ones in Black Ops 2 and Ghosts that were too similar to this one. So there's a constant feeling of I already did this. 

A zombie only campaign is perfect. It can still be a regular campaign that lets players fight AI humans like always, Have 935 or other secret groups set up that we have to constantly fight. Then mix in zombies and other things like hellhounds here and there. Maybe even have some boss areas like George and Brutus or something bigger. Now you have a campaign with a fresh storyline for the series, instead of the cheesy bad guy double cross or some family tie in and you can have new gameplay elements to use since CoD rarely has bosses anymore and the new enemies keep the game from being a constant walk down this space and fight the same wave after wave of guys hiding behind something. 

Then you can have fun with the story line for zombies we have. Try to keep a lot of the questions still unanswered while expanding on some aspects of it and giving a different perspective on it by letting the campaign be a parallel one to events described before. Then you still have a zombie Survival mode set up as the coop mode. One that has new weapons and perks that got more work put into them since the campaign might have had some. Then you also have your MP mode as always with darker themed maps and maybe some fun new gadgets and weapons picked from the campaign. 

If Treyarch did that, and then IW focused on its own modern era setting and Sledgehammer focused on the future like AW, we'd have a really good 3 year cycle set up that keeps all the games feeling new and exciting. 

• Administrators
A straight up campaign would go against the essence of Zombies, but I think there's a way to make it similar to a campaign and have that feel of a continuous story. However, I don't think it should happen until a long ways down the road when this story has been completed, most of the secrets deciphered, and a good story is established by the community. Then they essentially make a game/"campaign" that walks us through the story and maybe even introduce some more hints to the secrets we have yet to find. That's what I'd like to see. Then they can start on a new story or something, but even if they don't, I want the zombies game to be the final installation of this story.

The only way I could see a campaign work in zombies would be a series of smaller maps with intros (aka solo intro videos), and Origins style cutscenes at the end of each map. Then you would have to set it up for the player to complete an objective(s) to trigger the cutscene, or allow the players to continue playing by ignoring the objectives.

It could be the O4 or N4, but it would be best set up as a rival group trying to stop Richtofen, and is completely aware of the situation they are going into.

That way you can have an intro briefing video, this is the situation, this is the plan, execute, similar to the way they do the regular campaigns.

There are three essential things I want after zombies' story is over. The first being a huge book filled with concept art, images from maps, secrets and stuff of the like. Next is a comic book set around the story, it would be so awesome. Finally I want a COD Zombies novel. All of the story documented, it  could be beautiful.