Forum Reorganization

Boom115

• Administrators

Hey Team,

I wanted to talk briefly about the organization of the main page and some areas I personally think are an opportunity. If you are familiar with any of my larger threads you will notice that I am a firm believer of organization and simplification (i.e. A place for everything and everything in its place). Although I never completed this one, it is a prime example http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/158528-black-ops-2-users-guide-work-in-progress/. I think the current layout of our main page has so many sections that the overall navigation has become difficult if not using New Content or Search buttons. If you take a look at overall utilization of the forums over the last three months, it is clear that we have many forums that don’t require a one click redirect.

3f86ce9e2e3058d0b7eae233ce2bd569.png

Based on the data presented above, here is my suggested reorganization:

9e982d7a05272065d0cb745ebf7e08bf.png

76ce556d5b82d6d059626702697cac23.png

Notes:

I’d like to reestablish Future Zombies as a place to theorize, and add a new forum Zombie Labs as an area to concoct and develop idea threads.

Merge all grief and turned topics to one forum. Some of the current forums contain zero posts.

Move topics currently located in General Black Ops and World at War Discussion to General Zombies.

Move Game Lounge and Media Center to Member Lounge.

Merge Gaming Discussion & News and Console Discussion with Off Topic.

No massive changes, but I think this would serve as some much needed maintenance. Again, there is not current action plan in place to make these modifications. Just an idea.

Thoughts?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I believe that Tournaments should not be under the Teammate Finder. It's an event that you aren't quite looking for people to play with, but more an organized community event. Therefore, put it under the Apps header with Live Streams, the Calendar, and the Arcade. Not to mention, there's a total of three threads that should be in there. Furthermore, the Teammate Finder and Teams sections need to be more heavily regulated and their roles need to be defined further. I think that the General Teammate Finder section would be if they just need one or two more people to fill in, whereas the teams section should be for Side Quests or just actually getting a team together to play. Right now, there's a hodgepodge of threads everywhere and that needs cleaned up.

We currently have five places solely for general story discussion, and with this model you suggest, it brings it to three. I think we should bring it to two. First, you said you wanted Future Zombies to be a place to theorize, but by that I assume you mean to hope, wish, and predict? Your usage of "theorize" is throwing me off a bit. The Zombie Labs and Asylum need to be properly defined. You said that you want the Zombie Labs as a place for discussion while the Asylum would be a place for actual theories? To me, they go hand in hand, so I'm confused what you're proposing. Would it be similar to the Training Facility and Research Facility duo, where in the former you ask questions and is for newer storyline members while the latter is for actual theories? The "Story Discussion" subsection of the General Zombies Discussion section should be removed, with all threads moved to their appropriate spots. Ideally, in my opinion, there will be no theorizing in the General Zombies Discussion section.

I think the threads from the General World at War Discussion and General Black Ops Discussion sections should be moved to their appropriate spots first and then decide what to do. There's a lot that don't belong in General Zombies Discussion, and plenty that do belong right where they are. But once the appropriate ones are moved, decide from there if there's enough to keep the sections and put them as subsections of the Treyarch section, like it's done with Infinity Ward.

As more general comments, I like that you combined Questions and Suggestions. I like that moved Games Lounge and Media Center, that's smart. Just as a heads up, you have "WaW Custom Zombies Discussion" listed twice in your image. Great stuff! These are just my suggestions, I would love to discuss them.

Great I get my own Zombie lab. Now give me 5 Grad students in Zombology and tenure and I'll be set for life.

Black Hand Wernstrom?

Edited by Nightmare Voyager

I think a sub-section to Future Zombies would have to be "Map Ideas and Concepts" if anyone does them. It'd be easier in that sense.

The new section is meant to be for ideas in general.

• Administrators

I believe that Tournaments should not be under the Teammate Finder. It's an event that you aren't quite looking for people to play with, but more an organized community event. Therefore, put it under the Apps header with Live Streams, the Calendar, and the Arcade. Not to mention, there's a total of three threads that should be in there. Furthermore, the Teammate Finder and Teams sections need to be more heavily regulated and their roles need to be defined further. I think that the General Teammate Finder section would be if they just need one or two more people to fill in, whereas the teams section should be for Side Quests or just actually getting a team together to play. Right now, there's a hodgepodge of threads everywhere and that needs cleaned up.

I agree, we could possibly expand upon this http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/177605-welcome-to-teammate-finder/. We could also utilize the calendar function side hook and remove the tournaments section all together.

We currently have five places solely for general story discussion, and with this model you suggest, it brings it to three. I think we should bring it to two. First, you said you wanted Future Zombies to be a place to theorize, but by that I assume you mean to hope, wish, and predict? Your usage of "theorize" is throwing me off a bit.

Future Zombies- For the casual theorists. Basically threads that do no make it into Asylum.

Asylum- for the hardcore theorists.

Zombie Labs- Essentially feature/map/storyline without any factual basis.

The "Story Discussion" subsection of the General Zombies Discussion section should be removed, with all threads moved to their appropriate spots. Ideally, in my opinion, there will be no theorizing in the General Zombies Discussion section.

I am for this.

I think the threads from the General World at War Discussion and General Black Ops Discussion sections should be moved to their appropriate spots first and then decide what to do. There's a lot that don't belong in General Zombies Discussion, and plenty that do belong right where they are. But once the appropriate ones are moved, decide from there if there's enough to keep the sections and put them as subsections of the Treyarch section, like it's done with Infinity Ward.

So basically leave all three for the undefinable threads or merge all three after we move the other threads?

As more general comments, I like that you combined Questions and Suggestions. I like that moved Games Lounge and Media Center, that's smart. Just as a heads up, you have "WaW Custom Zombies Discussion" listed twice in your image. Great stuff! These are just my suggestions, I would love to discuss them.

Ah, that's just two images merged together. Not watching the small details at four in the morning. :P

Thanks for all the feedback so far folks!

• Administrators

Call me crazy, but I see two of the same section with different headings - Treyarch and Campaign/Multiplayer (which ended up having two of the same names for another category). Am I missing some super secret detail about this?

Other than that, I think this setup is fantastic. While I think the current one works fine anyways, this isn't a super vast change and yet is cleans up sections quite nicely. The problem many have had before with organization was the Story vs. Gameplay discussions, but I needn't think that's a problem with this.

Kudos, friendo. :D

• Administrators

Call me crazy, but I see two of the same section with different headings - Treyarch and Campaign/Multiplayer (which ended up having two of the same names for another category). Am I missing some super secret detail about this?

Ah, that's just two images merged together. Not watching the small details at four in the morning. :P

What if a concept is also a theory of some sort but not actually stated within the map concept. Would that be future zombies or Zombie Labs?

Have any current examples I could reference?

• Administrators

We currently have five places solely for general story discussion, and with this model you suggest, it brings it to three. I think we should bring it to two. First, you said you wanted Future Zombies to be a place to theorize, but by that I assume you mean to hope, wish, and predict? Your usage of "theorize" is throwing me off a bit.

Future Zombies- For the casual theorists. Basically threads that do no make it into Asylum.

I like that set up, as long as the name Future Zombies is changed. To me, that doesn't imply theory, that implies concepts, but apparently that's what Zombie Labs is for. Perhaps we could rename it to be the Research Facility or something like that?

So basically leave all three for the undefinable threads or merge all three after we move the other threads?

Yeah basically, if there's enough in each we can leave them, otherwise just merge them all into Treyarch.

• Administrators

I like that set up, as long as the name Future Zombies is changed. To me, that doesn't imply theory, that implies concepts, but apparently that's what Zombie Labs is for. Perhaps we could rename it to be the Research Facility or something like that?

Research Station/Research Facility- I think something along those lines would work fine. We will of course have the short description on the main index. We could additionally pin a forum guide at the top of each, to further refine the forum use.

Research Station/Research Facility- I think something along those lines would work fine. We will of course have the short description on the main index. We could additionally pin a forum guide at the top of each, to further refine the forum use.

How about Research Center?

But isnt zombie labs as a name a reference to the Moon trailers, which I thought was cool?

Yeah they are for adding zombie labs as an idea forum. They are suggesting research facility as a name change for future zombies.

Ah sorry for the confusion, as for a name I kind of think research facility is okay

• 2 weeks later...