"Der Wunderfizz Update"

• Tech Admin

So, some will know of the update that we have been planning behind the scenes and some will have had early bird access to test some features and functions (thank you, you know who you are). However, we wanted to share with you some more details about the update, whats happening and when etc.

Essentially, we are updating everything - the entire site is receiving an overhaul.

As it stands the forum is the main thing that people see when they access the site, you then have the menu which you can then browse the site and the frontpage. We feel that what we actually need (and we can change this at any stage with a click of a button) is a main page (a landing page).

The landing page

From here, we will be putting news articles and information relating to call of duty games and other news that may be happening. You may also notice the announcements on the right of the screen. This basically means you'll be able to see announcements from pretty much anywhere that we specify the announcements to appear.

The User Menu

This is the new user menu, you have access to several options here

• Create: This allows you to create a new topic, event, calendar entry, status update and more from this one location. You no longer need to go to the relevant section to create a new topic for example, you would need to select the relevant forum from the sections option though to ensure it goes to the right place. This is available on every page you visit.
  • Desktop: This is actually a new feature and what it basically does and is still being worked on - is that it lets you choose the background for the site, that you wish to choose from a predefined selection. The selection will be based on maps from each game (WaW, Black Ops, Black Ops II and Exo Zombies).
  • Notifications: Works exactly in the same way that they currently do
  • Reported Content: This one will only show to staff - we'll see reported content easily and can respond quickly.
  • User Menu Main: Very similar to current user menu, you can change settings, access attachments and more

The Forum

This is still a bit of a mystery and that's how it will be just now :)

However, some improvements.

• Save posts, this is browser related - clear cookies etc and you'll lose the saved data.
  • It's quicker
  • It's easier to use
  • It's cleaner

That's only a couple of the improvements, we want to make the rest something of a mystery. We'll retain some of the current things, such as who's online, who's browsing but these are hugely improved. Not only are the available on the forum but like announcements, we can specify anywhere we want to have them. You'll also see new things such as top contributor.

Status updates will also be retained but it's slightly different, more news on this to follow as we (the community who all have IPS forums) are asking for a few changes.

Chat

It will be returning, it will be updated, it will look cool. However, it hasn't even entered Beta stage with the developers yet, I haven't even seen the new version but it is being updated and be very cool for those that utilise it.

Applications

These will all return, however, things such as arcade, live streams, medals, UoTM are all 3rd party apps. As these are 3rd party apps, we need to wait for the actual release before updates will be available for them. So when the new system is ready for release, we will have a choice to switch over or wait a few weeks or maybe even a month or two to wait for the updates.

We also have a few new apps to give you, we will be introducing 2 / 3 new features but we aren't going to be saying too much on these at the moment.

Leaderboards

Will be returning and have also been given a fresh look.

Frontpage

@InfestLithium did a lot of work on the frontpage and it's not fair to lose this. So, rather than actually lose it, we are integrating the whole lot into the CoDz framework, it has been updated and looks rather sweet, some work still needs to be done to optimise and so forth but the integration is going extremely well.

So what is available on the Frontpage, will be returning and will also be available from the main menu, rather than hidden within the frontpage menu.

The Menu

This is static, so no matter where you are, you can access the main menu. It isn't obstructing any real estate and is hardly noticeable when scrolling.

Zombies Library

Looks like we can't hide this from you anymore, it's visible in the menu screenshot above. It will be available as part of the site, as discussed with @PINNAZ and full recognition will be supplied for the tremendous work he has done on the Library. This is currently being added and formatted to fit within the layout, so we don't have any screenshots to supply. It will however, make it easier to navigate and will allow information to be access quicker (the topics are very rich in content and takes time to load).

So, no doubt you'll be asking a few questions on this, so I have drawn up an FAQ to answer what we thing will be the most commonly asked questions.

Mobile / Tablets / Tapatalk

I'm afraid to say, that we will not be offering tapatalk on the new site - it's simply not compatible.

However,

You don't need it because you can access the site on any device simply by entering the URL. No matter what the device the experience will be the same for all users (apart from background changes) - which may or may not be added at a later date. The menus / content etc will all respond to the screen size of the device you are on -  in essence we are using a responsive framework.

So, here is a larger screenshot without given too much away of the menu and header area.

ecc094df628ceca4eb48c553e2d22ba4.png

This is how it responds to smaller devices.

1c2d4a02bc64549a3bc87d777accbd05.png

With menu expanded.

70fc29a2b5a7408ffb2a74584ff50f9c.png

We know you'll all be super excited as are we on the new site being launched, we all know that this is going to be an extremly good year for zombies and we want to give you and us everything that we currently have and more and better than before.

FAQ's

Question: Can we get a preview of the site now

Answer: No

Question: When is this update expected to take place?

Answer: In all honesty, how long is a piece of string? We are currently planning on a February/March launch but this is dictated to us by the actual release of the new version of the software. We are also in a way being restricted by the 3rd party apps and when these will actually be updated.

However, we are very conscious of time. We are fully aware that this is an important year in regards to announcements and we don't want to prolong the release. So if need be, we will launch when we feel the time is right and only if the main software has been release. The 3rd party apps can easily be added when they are ready without losing any of the information on them.

We don't want any downtime, especially when the hype is starting to explode.

Question: Will I need to re-register

Question: Will we lose any posts or topics

If you think of any questions, then let us know below.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. To all the Staff & the people that worked behind the scenes reporting & testing. I thank you for your time.

I love this site & love this game. It has been a great hobby & relaxant for me over the past 5 or so years.

I also forgot to say thank you very much for incorporating the "Zombies Library's" as it's own webpage/wiki. I want to include as many interesting (factual) things about each map & articles about this game in the Library. But I also need help. Please contribute whatever you can. We need the current maps to be as close to finished before the next Treyarch Zombies game is released.

Thanks again all! 

• Tech Admin

Not to sound cliche towards McDonald's slogan, but, honestly, "I'm loving it". The forum looks amazing, and I honestly can't wait for the overhaul.

Two questions:

1. So... concerning medals, they'll stay, right? Plus, will there be new additions to that? I know there's good ones on the Medal Suggestion page... and I'd love to see a lot of them.

2. I feel like there will be new Moderator additions to one or two, perhaps to PINNAZ. I dunno, is something like that happening?

1, Yes medals stay. However, if we face the choice of having to wait too long for the 3rd party apps to be available we may go live without them and add them at a later date, We also have a replacement medals system in ready now. I'm thinking of switching over to this, as the developer is more responsive. They are both pretty similar but the new one should tie into the UoTM app better and may allow automisation of medals ;)

2. That isn't something we have discussed to be honest. However, the Zombie Library belongs to @PINNAZ, he should have editing capabilities for it and is something we are exploring.

Absolutely. To all the Staff & the people that worked behind the scenes reporting & testing. I thank you for your time.

I love this site & love this game. It has been a great hobby & relaxant for me over the past 5 or so years.

I also forgot to say thank you very much for incorporating the "Zombies Library's" as it's own webpage/wiki. I want to include as many interesting (factual) things about each map & articles about this game in the Library. But I also need help. Please contribute whatever you can. We need the current maps to be as close to finished before the next Treyarch Zombies game is released.

Thanks again all! 

I've been wanting a zombies wiki for a while! Loving that it's finally being implemented!

One of the things I REALLY loved about the old site is the "my topics" page, which essentially kept a tab on EVERY topic you comminted in. To me that was a whole lot simpler then scrolling through EVERY section to see if there's been updates. However, the second process does expose one to more topics then the prior. If this comes back I'll be stoked, if not, it's ok!

• Administrators

One of the things I REALLY loved about the old site is the "my topics" page, which essentially kept a tab on EVERY topic you comminted in. To me that was a whole lot simpler then scrolling through EVERY section to see if there's been updates. However, the second process does expose one to more topics then the prior. If this comes back I'll be stoked, if not, it's ok!

It already exists though? You just press "View New Content" and then on the left, "items I participated in"

• Moderators

If this comes back I'll be stoked, if not, it's ok!

So one little feature which still exists makes you go from "meh" to "yay" ?

I don't know how the guys who actually worked on this update feel about your statement but I would be somewhat annoyed by that. : /

• Tech Admin

I think it means an explanation of the features on the site could be expanded upon, I take it as a compliment personally rather than a negative comment.

In fairness, a feature that is available can be hidden in plain sight for some people. I mean I know the ins and outs pretty well but even still I come across something and think wow, if I had known that lol.

• Tech Admin

I have two questions: 

Will we loose our brains/likes?

Will we need to request our medals again?

Because I like you Lenne, no is the answer to the first question. Regarding the 2nd question, I expect the answer to be no - however, I cannot gaurantee anything on this front until such times as the app is upgraded.

In saying that, we have a list available of who had what and we can (if need be) manually apply them.

Actually, here's a wee peek at the user profile found to the left of a post.

2f5b168320f9f658fa8b245affd1e38c.png