PINNAZ

Black Ops III Zombies Countdown & DLC News

Donor

Well, not to be rude, actually it isn't rude but I don't want you to interpret it as rude, but people like you make up a much smaller amount of players, typically from what I've seen COD players are typically divided between zombies and MP and those who like both. Ok, so no grand "5th DLC" but 5 micro-DLC maps then. Each one 4 bucks adding up to about 20 bucks total. A bit pricier then regular maps, but hey, more zombies. 

But if people prefer zombies to mp they will prioritize the zombies DLC over that of the current CoD. People don't have infinite money. And in that situation neither would activision.

Well, in this case, those who wouldn't/couldn't buy Ghosts 2 would still get zombies. Plus, those who are getting Ghosts 2 either don't care about zombies anyways, or if they chose zombies doesn't care that much about multiplayer. It's a good investment. People today are still popping out BO2 zombies videos, but you see a single MW3 or Ghosts video? Nope. That's because once it's MP has hit it's prime, it's inferior to the next game, zombies does not go out of style for a lot longer, so it's a good investment on activation's part. 

But then what about people like me who will play Ghosts but would go back to the 3arch game for a new zombies map in a heartbeat? IW would be annoyed that something is taking away their profits and fan base, they will always feel like that.

Here's the thing, we can't think about this in terms of what happened in the past.  Like I said the paradigm is shifting and Activision saw it with BO2 and Ghosts.  People were still playing BO2 long after the release of ghosts, and while part of it might be because of zombies, not all of it was.  I think what they are seeing is that Call of Duty fans may now be more willing to switch back and forth between iterations of the game during a "season"  I would agree that zombies/extinction/exo zombies would be what would make sense to release dlc for post-new game launch.  The fact of the matter is that while they all bear the name Call of Duty, most now are willing to think of them as very different games, and continue to play them separately instead of solely playing the current years game

A lot of people move from one cod to the next, it isnt a small minority its actually quite a large one, it doesnt mean old cods dont get played it just means new ones are played more. I think that when we get a next gen only cod that will really split up the fanbase as they will choose to stick on a certain console. I wish that all cods could kind of act as if they are the same franchise instead of competing. Thats how it seems anyways, except SH they havent been around long enough to actually seem as if they were competing, they actually took on a lot and handled it well I think.

A lot of people move from one cod to the next, it isnt a small minority its actually quite a large one, it doesnt mean old cods dont get played it just means new ones are played more. I think that when we get a next gen only cod that will really split up the fanbase as they will choose to stick on a certain console. I wish that all cods could kind of act as if they are the same franchise instead of competing. Thats how it seems anyways, except SH they havent been around long enough to actually seem as if they were competing, they actually took on a lot and handled it well I think.

This is the part that is changing i think.  Like with ghosts, BO2 was consistently having equal if not more players than ghosts.  In the past that wasn't the case, but now with that happening more often, it makes the feasibility of the extended DLC season much higher imo

This is the part that is changing i think.  Like with ghosts, BO2 was consistently having equal if not more players than ghosts.  In the past that wasn't the case, but now with that happening more often, it makes the feasibility of the extended DLC season much higher imo

I meant AW, Ghosts was bad and obviously led to people wanting to go back but I havent heard anything like that in regards to AW.

I guess that could make some sense. Zombies is such a unique experience compared to the multiplayer. If I want multi I can go to Destiny, the next COD, Battlefield, Killzone, well basically any game with guns actually. It's all very similar stuff, of course there are differences, but not giant stuff.

Where as if I want zombies, it's just 3arc COD's that offer such a thing.

It seems like with the 3 year cycle, they could release 1.5-2 years of zombies only dlc, and if you like zombies, and want zombies, you have to buy it.

Also, I don't think it would effect next COD sales much. The multi fans are multi fans first. They move on every November. Then there are people like me, who just want to find another zombies mode (thought extinction looked like it could fill the void...), and will never buy another non 3arc COD, and some people in between.

They've already lost my sale, and they might lose some of the inbetweeners sales, but the main base that moves on is still going to he there for them. Worst case scenario, they lose all the inbetweeners to dlc sales, best case, some of the on the fence people buy both.

Even after 8 or 9 titles and several sub-series, Call of Duty was considered a single unified series. In the past few years it's become more of a confederacy. That's how I like to look at it.

Most people I know with last-gen systems only keep them for certain games like BO2 and GTA V. And GTA already has been remastered. And of those people who still actively play last-gen, they are almost all upgrading by next year. In fact, this Christmas most people on my list did. 

BO2, to me, is an example of how DLC could continue. Most of my Xbox 360 friends still play BO2 to this date, they prefer the MP, and love having Zombies on it. Ghosts was a failure to most people, and AW is a love/hate game, some play it, others think it's too different. Hell, I hopped on a couple of days ago and apparantly BO2 still has active league play seasons. 

I just think that Treyarch could easily do it. I'm sure they want to, too. I'd personally like more like 6 map packs per game anyways, but Zombies couldn't really interfere with IW's DLC or game. Extinction is a pretty different mode, at least gameplay wise to me. MP players all get the next game anyways, even though most I know never buy the DLC. If they want DLC for either game, they can get it. Both games have different styles of MP and co-op modes, so it would be down to personal choice. However, I could see how if a DLC included MP that it could interfere things, due to the competitive community, all that MLG shit and whatnot lol.

Sooner or later Call of Duty will go full free to play with microtransactions/subscribition fee. Mark my words. It has been written to the walls for quite some time already.

Sooner or later Call of Duty will go full free to play with microtransactions/subscribition fee. Mark my words. It has been written to the walls for quite some time already.

I can actually see that. Subscription fee, $10 a month for MP, and one-time $20 fee for campaign, with micro-dlc every few weeks, and normal DLC. They could essentially make one COD that is constantly updated with purchaseable campaigns and shit. People would continue to buy like expansion packs and MP fees. It would be cool that everything from all 3 developers be together, but goddamn the subscription fee would suck ass. Sadly, people would pay the fee every month.

Since 3arch have had more time to develop maps and stuff do you think its possible that their will be more DLCs in a shorter space of time? Like they can have them finished earlier and that means maybe DLC season is a lot more exciting.

Great discussion on the previous page. I think you guys are spot on with where COD is going in the future.

You got it @Matuzz

After thinking more about what Josh Olin's was saying (in his Tweet) that COD this year - "May not have as profitable short-term margins, but will long-term" & "The birthing/maturation of a true sub-franchise".

Call of Duty: Online will be the future of COD. All developers working together (perhaps in their yearly cycles still) to give a single game it's updates. A very cheap (maybe) one-off purchase of the game, then you pay for DLC maps & microtransactions.

Call of Duty: Online is a "Free-to-play" game. Raven software together with tencent have taken maps from previous Call of Duty's Campaign, Multiplayer & also the Co-op spinoff off Zombies & rolled them into one single game.

Watch the video at the bottom of this Raven Software Webpage - http://www.ravensoftware.com/games/call-of-duty-online/view-game/

or here is a direct video link - MUST WATCH 

All of the Developing Company heads in one interview. 

The future is.....

Great discussion on the previous page. I think you guys are spot on with where COD is going in the future.

You got it @Matuzz

After thinking more about what Josh Olin's was saying (in his Tweet) that COD this year - "May not have as profitable short-term margins, but will long-term" & "The birthing/maturation of a true sub-franchise".

Call of Duty: Online will be the future of COD. All developers working together (perhaps in their yearly cycles still) to give a single game it's updates. A very cheap (maybe) one-off purchase of the game, then you pay for DLC maps & microtransactions.

Call of Duty: Online is a "Free-to-play" game. Raven software together with tencent have taken maps from previous Call of Duty's Campaign, Multiplayer & also the Co-op spinoff off Zombies & rolled them into one single game.

Watch the video at the bottom of this Raven Software Webpage - http://www.ravensoftware.com/games/call-of-duty-online/view-game/

or here is a direct video link - MUST WATCH 

All of the Developing Company heads in one interview. 

The future is.....

I think if it could be achieved having all 3 developers creating a single COD like COD Online would  be phenomenal, I know it would be very difficult considering that their may be arguments and people may not like each other between companies but if they tried to make a COD like this it could be a huge hit! Imagine Zombies at its best in this COD, its still the same zombies but with help from people like SH who for all we know could make a good zombies mode. Then you have people like Raven who if they got in on helping could even boost how good it is. MP and Campaign could really blow people away. Their could be a really well thought out story along with amazing gameplay. But this is just a dream that I guess I will have to keep in my head since I sadly dont think it will happen.

Donor

Since 3arch have had more time to develop maps and stuff do you think its possible that their will be more DLCs in a shorter space of time? Like they can have them finished earlier and that means maybe DLC season is a lot more exciting.

That is actually possible. 

jan- XBOX DLC1

Feb- Dlc1 

March- Xbox DLC 2

April-DLC2

May- Xbox DLC 3

June- DLC 3

July- Xbox DLC 4

August- DLC 4

September- Xbox DLC 5

October- DLC 5

But not likely

jan- XBOX DLC1

Feb- Dlc1 

March- Xbox DLC 2

April-DLC2

May- Xbox DLC 3

June- DLC 3

July- Xbox DLC 4

August- DLC 4

September- Xbox DLC 5

October- DLC 5

But not likely

It depends how they format it because they may not do it like that. They could even bring DLCs out earlier in the first place.

jan- XBOX DLC1

Feb- Dlc1 

March- Xbox DLC 2

April-DLC2

May- Xbox DLC 3

June- DLC 3

July- Xbox DLC 4

August- DLC 4

September- Xbox DLC 5

October- DLC 5

But not likely

It depends how they format it because they may not do it like that. They could even bring DLCs out earlier in the first place.

Aren't there contractual obligations of some sort on the number of DLC packs?  Anyway, since they likely spent the extra year developing you know the main game (wasn't that the point of going to 3 year rotation?) I dont think there would be any significant impact to the DLC season, other than the potential for it to extend beyond the release of the following years' game

Tech Admin

The 3 year cycle was to give them more development time. This doesn't necessarily mean we will get anything more than previous years, it should mean at a minimum that bugs should be picked up and dealt with more efficiently.

I want more this year but realistically what we will probably get is a far more stable bug/glitch free game.

Yeah, what the guy in red said. Additionalcontent aside, we can expect more general debugging to have taken place pre-release. Almost every CoD game and DLC has a big patch after a week or so of release once it's been settled in and they have observed problems. I doubt that will cease to be an issue, but it will most likely just generally move more smoothly at launch.

Who says that they have to release every other month? It could be Jan XBO dlc Feb Ps4 dlc, March XBO dlc, April XBO/ PS4 dlc, May Ps4 dlc, June XBO dlc, July XBO/ PS4 dlc, August PS4 dlc, September XBO dlc, October ps4 dlc.

Donor

While the amount of information within activision's contracts is changed due to xbox one's/PS4's new ability so DLCs can now be MORE then 2 GBs, and I'm fairly sure, but not 100% possitive, that they also have the ability to release any amount of major DLC they can, as long as it appears before the first of the next game's DLC, or heck it might even be before the release of the next game, IDK this is just what I've accumulated over the years. 

Anyway my point is that COD DOES have a contract with Xbox that gives them one month early access. So there has to be at least a month between the XB and PS/PC release. 

Now, they could release it like this: 

Jan- XB

-Feb.PC/PS

-Feb (later) - XB

March- PC/PS 

and continue it that way. 

While the amount of information within activision's contracts is changed due to xbox one's/PS4's new ability so DLCs can now be MORE then 2 GBs, and I'm fairly sure, but not 100% possitive, that they also have the ability to release any amount of major DLC they can, as long as it appears before the first of the next game's DLC, or heck it might even be before the release of the next game, IDK this is just what I've accumulated over the years. 

Anyway my point is that COD DOES have a contract with Xbox that gives them one month early access. So there has to be at least a month between the XB and PS/PC release. 

Now, they could release it like this: 

Jan- XB

-Feb.PC/PS

-Feb (later) - XB

March- PC/PS 

and continue it that way. 

Yeah, also they could just release extra maps with DLCs.

Don't mess with my feelings.

Tech Admin

@Matuzz is employed by trollarch :P