Next Gen zombies. What can we realistically expect?

I would think we'll probably see a more traditional 2 or 3 distinct maps on disc at launch instead of what they did with Green Run for Black Ops II. I think the general feel of the game will be closer to Origins and Mob of the Dead than anything else. I'm sure there will be a different ranking/leaderboard system, but that will probably still be tied to what they use for multiplayer. 

Story-wise I don't have any expectations about what direction they're going to go. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great responses so far guys.  Hype train is already starting up.

I would say, with how it seems to be popular among custom map players, There has to be some consideration of a true second pack-a-punch.  it should be expensive and difficult, but I think obviously the wonder weapons are going to be best, but i think it would be smart to add a second pack-a-punch, which could make a simple weapon feel very powerfull in high rounds.  I want treyarch to give me a reason to maybe hold on to a Spectre, or a PM63 or a SMR.  add an elemental effect or something else crazy/awesome looking and effective.  with the graphical capabilities of the new consoles, it could be really impressive.

well thats my idea of the moment

@the_clay_bird Now that you mention it, make the mod tools to create custom maps return :3

Alas, probably never going to happen. :-(

Don't be to quick to judge, remember: 

-This COULD be the first next-gen only console COD

-The extra year could mean that the game no-longer infringes on Activision's terms, and thus, mod tools can be delivered to the public. 

I personally would LOVE mod tools to return. Trayarch can argue that it's possible people will create better maps, but in reality, 95% of maps created today contain not that many new ideas. Sure there are plenty of brilient story and clever map designs, but typically, most ideas like soul boxes, the staffs, and time bombs and buildables are all from BO2 and BO1.  They already have means of re-creating everything from BO2 in a sense. With the mod tools it would be SUPER epic if one could get things like proper mule-kick, proper-duel wield (which actually is good to go already in some custom games), bigger ester eggs, and more environmental epicness! 

Still probably not going to happen because of financial reasons. Once people start making their own zombie maps why even bother paying $15 for map packs. All WaW's DLC was free on PC, so no profit was lost there when they supplied the mod tools. Compare that with BO2, which did have mod tools, mais you just couldn't make any maps with them. So essentially they were useless.

• Administrators

@the_clay_bird Now that you mention it, make the mod tools to create custom maps return :3

Alas, probably never going to happen. :-(

Don't be to quick to judge, remember: 

-This COULD be the first next-gen only console COD

If you look at Call of Duty: Ghosts, 18 million units were sold on old-gen and 5 million were on next-gen. For Advanced Warfare, so far 6 million have been sold on old-gen and 8 million have been sold on next-gen. The trend is certainly going towards next-gen consoles, and quickly, but with as much money is still being made from old-gen, I don't see this game being the one that doesn't offer an old-gen version. Perhaps two or three games down the road we'll see this transition.

Also, I would love for mod tools to return as well. However, I'm curious what you mean by the extra year possibly changing Activision's terms?

Sony has sold 18.5 million ps4's, MS is likely at least 10 million XB1's so far. By Christmas, new gen should pretty easily be 50 million plus, possibly even more than 60 million (depending on price cuts).

It seems pretty likely that 2015 will be new gen only. People already have had 2 years to adapt, get on or get run over.

I would say, with how it seems to be popular among custom map players, There has to be some consideration of a true second pack-a-punch.  it should be expensive and difficult, but I think obviously the wonder weapons are going to be best, but i think it would be smart to add a second pack-a-punch, which could make a simple weapon feel very powerfull in high rounds.  I want treyarch to give me a reason to maybe hold on to a Spectre, or a PM63 or a SMR.  add an elemental effect or something else crazy/awesome looking and effective.  with the graphical capabilities of the new consoles, it could be really impressive.

I like the idea, my twist would be have a readily available PAP from the start without jumping through hoops to activate or access it. The early rounds would go faster but players still need to be mindful of points as you can waste them at 4500 ammo refil. Don't change weapon damage so they still hit a wall round 40-50 depending on weapon of choice.

Once at this stage you have the option of jumping through hoops to give these weapons elemental powers through attachments, when I say hoops I mean maybe each particular gun has a set method for individual elemental attachment upgrade.

Still have one true wonder weapon per map, let the other players have the LITE version wonder weapon of there choosing

I like the idea, my twist would be have a readily available PAP from the start without jumping through hoops to activate or access it. The early rounds would go faster but players still need to be mindful of points as you can waste them at 4500 ammo refil. Don't change weapon damage so they still hit a wall round 40-50 depending on weapon of choice.

Once at this stage you have the option of jumping through hoops to give these weapons elemental powers through attachments, when I say hoops I mean maybe each particular gun has a set method for individual elemental attachment upgrade.

Still have one true wonder weapon per map, let the other players have the LITE version wonder weapon of there choosing

I guess I could get on board with that if perhaps the first pack-a-punch was nerfed a little bit.  so its a pack a punch once, weapons are effective until 25-ish, pack a punch again and they would be legit up til 50-ish something like that

I like selective access to PaP. It makes it more of a reward. I think the PaP on Kino was one of the best. Not like ascension where you just train 10 feet away from the machine forever, and not like MotD where you need to sacrifice your first born to reach it. I think zombies so far has progressed like this:

WaW: Fundamentals

BO: Expansion

BO2: Experimentation

Now that they've experimented they can see what works. I have high hopes for the next game.

I like selective access to PaP. It makes it more of a reward. I think the PaP on Kino was one of the best. Not like ascension where you just train 10 feet away from the machine forever, and not like MotD where you need to sacrifice your first born to reach it. I think zombies so far has progressed like this:

WaW: Fundamentals

BO: Expansion

BO2: Experimentation

Now that they've experimented they can see what works. I have high hopes for the next game.

I completely agree with this. With Black Ops 2 they even seemed to test ideas between maps, for example Whos Who and Afterlife. They also tried transportation which I think is important to note.

What @Electric Jesus said. I want to see them overhauling the gameplay again in big ways.

Every zombie map back in the age of WaW made me swap pants just by looking at the trailers.

• Verruckt: perk-a-colas machines, power switch
  • Shi-No-Numa: Flogger, Random Perks, Zipline and the DG freakin' 2.
  • Der Riese: Pack-A-Punch and teleporters ! Holy braaains !

Compare that with

• Tranzit: Lava and some fog. Also no PaP for you unless you want to give up your sanity.
  • Die Rise: Enjoy Who's Who-ing off a skyscraper
  • Buried: Free invincible mode for casuals.

Ever since BO1 (except for Mob and Origins) every map kinda feels like same stuff, different location. With an added perk here and the most overly convoluted near impossible way to reach pack-a-punch there.

What @Electric Jesus said. I want to see them overhauling the gameplay again in big ways.

Every zombie map back in the age of WaW made me swap pants just by looking at the trailers.

• Verruckt: perk-a-colas machines, power switch
  • Shi-No-Numa: Flogger, Random Perks, Zipline and the DG freakin' 2.
  • Der Riese: Pack-A-Punch and teleporters ! Holy braaains !

Compare that with

• Tranzit: Lava and some fog. Also no PaP for you unless you want to give up your sanity.
  • Die Rise: Enjoy Who's Who-ing off a skyscraper
  • Buried: Free invincible mode for casuals.

Ever since BO1 (except for Mob and Origins) every map kinda feels like same stuff, different location. With an added perk here and the most overly convoluted near impossible way to reach pack-a-punch there.

absolutely agree.  Now that I think about it I believe that ascension, kino, and der reise.had the PaP process as right as can be.,  I don't think it should be more complicated than any of those 3 maps to access the pack a punch.  If there was a legit second upgrade process, perhaps it could be a little more involved that

I don't think the Pack-A-Punch should be accessible at all times. It should be like in a special, dangerous place you'd only go to with your team to pack-a-punch your stuff and then haul ass to safety first chance you get.

Moon had by far my favorite way of using the Pack-A-Punch.

I think here's my ideal PaP system.

As a base function either kino style or origins style (limited access but can be repeated frequently and easily / permanent access but can be turned off) and in addition to that there is another method of upgrading which requires multiple steps (like origins staves bus smaller scale) and can only be used on PaPd guns. That's what I think would work best. No amount of costliness would prevent a legitimate double-pap from being OP. That's why origins staves were almost perfect. Just scale it down to a less "wunderful" level.

I don't think the Pack-A-Punch should be accessible at all times. It should be like in a special, dangerous place you'd only go to with your team to pack-a-punch your stuff and then haul ass to safety first chance you get.

Moon had by far my favorite way of using the Pack-A-Punch.

This I'm not crazy about... Moon and Shangri-la was too hard to PaP with Randoms.  I mean it works perfectly fine when playing with my normal team or if in the rare case you get 3 other people that have microphones that actually listen and work together.  I see the merit in it, but I think it's better to have the option to PaP flying solo ... just imho

So COTD style PAP mocking? Cool with me. If there was ever going to be a second PAP, i'd want it to be something ridiculously difficult to achieve.

Like as difficult/time consuming as the Origins EE solo. If you want it, you have to earn it type of thing, rather than an easy here you go style.

I would really hope it wouldn't be something that entirely difficult.  Im with mocking in that I think something akin to the staff upgrades might be appropriate.  I think one main problem with zombies in BO2 is that it became far too tedious.  Buried spending 40 minutes just getting things set up on round 1.  Mob of the Dead having to literally complete a side quest just to PaP.  Don't get me started on Tranzit.   I think it would be just fine if it were a little easier and faster to accomplish things, but have it still be difficult in the end game.  

I think that if they made Pap easier to get to they could also add something that players would want more and is harder to get to. I dont mean pap is too easy to get but like its not over complicated either.

• Tech Admin

PAP is a perk, just like Jug and wonder weapons. They are pretty easy to achieve, what they need to do, is cater for something that requires team work to achieve but a lot harder to do solo. They also need to try and cater for the high round players, maybe something that they need to do every 50 rounds or so that takes away from just trying to do the round quickly.