Filling the Chests Early is Overrated

RZArazorSHARP20

More and more I find that even when a round is starting off well (No Man's Land round 4 or something) people instantly want to start filling the fist chests. I find this a negative strategy, let me tell you why.

One of the keys to a good Origins round is patience. Willing to take it slow early so that later you can roll through rounds. This means the need to hold a zombie. When you decide that you want to fill a chest on round 5, with four players that basically means that you need to kill every zombie on that round in the chest area. Add into this that if a giant is coming, people start rushing to fill the box, and inevitably the last zombie is not only killed, but the robot resets the box anyway.

Instead of trying to force it, I propose this. Buy either an MP40 or AK74u, and build the zombie shield. Competent players should be able to survive with a zombie shield and sub machine gun on a pre-round 7 game. This means with smart point usage a team can have Ice, Wind and Lightning built and both puzzles completed plus Fire Staff only lacking the Panzer part. This means you'll have everything but Fire Staff upgraded by Round 10. By then there are more than enough zombies per round to have all boxes filled by round 12 - 13 at the latest. Which means you can be working on your elemental fists when the One Inch Punch is still one-hit. Getting staffs built is so much more important than the chests. Thoughts? Opinions?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an average game of randoms, things get pretty disorganized and hectic, but typically, i can go off on my own, save a zombie and by round 10: 

-Acquire all ice staff pieces

-Acquire all fire staff pieces 

-Fill 1 or 2 chest(s)

-Build the shield. 

-Obtain gramophone

- put tablet in water (maybe 6 kills) 

Then I can spend the rest of round 10 building all the staffs and upgrading (or do the steps for upgrading) 3 of them (no kill= no fire) 

Between rounds 10 and 17 I am fully able to fill the rest of the chests, obtain my staff (i almost never chose fire, better to let someone else have it), and finish my beacons. 

Then the easter egg can start. 

Also: This is just a tip I like to use: ALWAYS go through the left door first: There are TWO spawn locations for the window shield piece there: (Down fire tunnel and in the shack with the stones) plus the B23R is here and it's a good weapon until round like… 7. 

From there one can fallow two paths: 

-If you DO find that piece, immediately turn around and head down the path to gen 2. 

-If you DON'T find the piece, open up the way to gen. 3 and enter the work shop, then buy the door in there to the tank station, chances are the piece you need is in one of those two spawn locations. If it isn't.. Well you'd still need to access the tank area for the ice disc and runestone. Course, this method costs 250 more points but it's worth the gamble as long as your game doesn't spawn the pieces in the MOST inconvenient locations. 

I agree with your post in the early rounds not enough zombies to even fill the chest. Most the time 3 randoms are fighting over kills for one of the boxes while im getting airstrikes with my shield. By the time they have punches I already have an upgraded staff(w/ Boomhilda for secondary) and airstrikes usually round 12. And thats even if no one rage quits during the 1st panzer round which happens more then I would like it to. What I can't stand is when someone dies and its automatically my fault because I didn't stick together with the rest of the team.

• 1 month later...

Also: This is just a tip I like to use: ALWAYS go through the left door first: There are TWO spawn locations for the window shield piece there: (Down fire tunnel and in the shack with the stones) plus the B23R is here and it's a good weapon until round like… 7.

From there one can fallow two paths:

-If you DO find that piece, immediately turn around and head down the path to gen 2.

-If you DON'T find the piece, open up the way to gen. 3 and enter the work shop, then buy the door in there to the tank station, chances are the piece you need is in one of those two spawn locations. If it isn't.. Well you'd still need to access the tank area for the ice disc and runestone. Course, this method costs 250 more points but it's worth the gamble as long as your game doesn't spawn the pieces in the MOST inconvenient locations.

Have you ever tried not going towards gen2?

Opening towards the fire tunnel, gen3, nml, has always been my route of choice. My reasoning is this -point hoarding- 90% of the time you will spend all of your points opening, jug, gen, stamina, church doors and so on. By taking the gen3 route entirely you will not need a single point to access the stone, staff, shield part, disk. Simply drop down from the tank path from gen5 towards gen2, and if your part isn't there, take the tank path from gen2 towards gen1 and drop down. You now have all the ice parts, shields ready to go, and at worst you may have to kill a couple zombies to open the door towards gen2. I also never open the spawn door towards gen 2, with your back towards that door, while facing the trench, this makes for an excellent solo camping spot til rd60ish.

• 1 month later...

This is a bit unrelated to the topic, but has anyone noticed that sometimes it takes more than 30 zombies to fill a chest? I've been playing solo lately and noticed that sometimes it takes 35 or even 40 kills instead of 30. I wonder if this is because the box slowly starts to reset itself if you're not fast enough killing zombies next to it? FYI, I did not kill during zombie blood.

Edited by thegreatpoopy

This is a bit unrelated to the topic, but has anyone noticed that sometimes it takes more than 30 zombies to fill a chest? I've been playing solo lately and noticed that sometimes it takes 35 or even 40 kills instead of 30. I wonder if this is because the box slowly starts to reset itself if you're not fast enough killing zombies next to it? FYI, I did not kill during zombie blood.

Did the robot crush it at any point? 

Did the robot crush it at any point? 

Nevermind, I did the math wrong cause I killed templar zombies while doing generator 4 inbetween rounds.

The problem is wasting zombies. If you take your time, and have a plan for what round you are going to hold a zombie on to build the staffs, so you don't start filling a chest that round.

Everyone has to be on the same page for sure. Wait for the robots to minimize risk, if 2/3 is coming go ahead and start the Jugg box. If the 4/5 robot is coming, either fill 6, or go to 5 and wait for it to pass.

Origins is best taken slow, and calculated.

In my opinion, fists are a waste of time. With a 4 player camping setup at Semtex you only need your upgraded staves, the gramophone in the fire tunnel, shield in wind and maxis drone at the church. Airstrikes are important, they should be a priority over fists. This can be done with the shield or staves.

Have four upgraded staves, airstrikes you will never need the fists before the become useles. The weaponry available will carry you 40 rounds without the need for a punch or upgraded punch in a coop camping strategy. Ammo is not that dependant that early. By filling chests, getting fist and upgrading them the only successful thing your team has achieved is wasting upto 1 hour of a speed run game.

Use your ammo. When low or a player downs throw an airstrike and escape the fire tunnel. Gather your buildables and perks. You can Get free ammo from rewards box, you can train with secondary boomhilder, raygun mk2 or dsr. You can use robots as traps. The options are endless until the staves have full ammo.

Drop back down off the tank track and continue camping.

Saying that, 4 players taking turns camping will rarely run out of ammo before your fists are useless. Hence not needing them.

Filling the chests can be easy if you coordinate yourself, it makes doing the EE or just playing with a powerful melee weapon easier. I have managed to get them filled with friends on a very low round, meaning the rest of the game was much more fun. That being said, I didn't get my staff until round 17 due to people being a bit selfish, but whatever.