Do you think 3arc is making the story as it goes on?

A simple question, that I decided not to make a poll.

Do you think that the story is finished before the game releases? Or do you think it's all off the top of their heads?

I think when it first became popular, it was fleshed out enough to have a solid direction, but with BO2 it definitely feels like it's just planned after the last DLC drops before it.

A sub question as well, would you rather discover the TRUE beginning of zombies? Going all the way back to the power being created to control.

Or would you like to see what happens to our old heroes?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever was in charge of the back stories in BO2 needs to be terminated and sent to Syria.

For the most part the BO2 stories were uninteresting and bland. The character quotes were generic and uninventive.

Whether it was planned in advance or not, Treyarch need to really recreate the story and wow us in the game to get our full support.

Whoever was in charge of the back stories in BO2 needs to be terminated and sent to Syria.

For the most part the BO2 stories were uninteresting and bland. The character quotes were generic and uninventive.

Whether it was planned in advance or not, Treyarch need to really recreate the story and wow us in the game to get our full support.

In all fairness the n4 had 3 maps. If you work out how much character development the o4 and n4 had by there third map, the n4 had more.

Anyways I believe Treyarch have there story planned out for the long term. For example Origins seemed planned due to the giants and the connection with der riese, the toys sam was playing with in her room and the fact that the characters "origins" were left fairly blank.

The reason Black Ops 2 wasn't liked as much is because after Moon they didn't really know what to do. They found it easier making the struggle between Maxis and Richtofen. New characters were easier to do then the old ones since there was Samantha to deal with. I do not believe they make it up as they go along but depending on what actual players say they change some things. Between games and DLC's they try and think of how the story progresses. Mob of the Dead isn't directly connected to the story because they wanted to test out new stuff, try and reinvent zombies. This gives them more space to move around with as they didn't have to rush to the vital part of the storyline which was Origins. I believe Treyarch have an idea of the big events that will happen. Hopefully they will come soon as to be honest zombies needs a nice ending before they start a new. 

I don't really want an explanation to what happened to the characters after Moon. I think they should just have the normal group return and only make subtle hints to what happened in the time between Moon and a new map. I think with the next game they could both make the old group return and show how everything really began. They could also show how everything ends, its just a matter of doing it right.

I did a theory years ago that showed that they had already planned all the way up to moon by the time der riese came out. So yes, they plan things ahead of time. As for in BO2 I can't say. Up to buried probably. But Origins might have been improvised. Maybe MotD as well because of its lack of relevance to the rest.

I always imagined that the end cutscene would just be Jimmy Z sitting in a chair, with a lampstand and lamp, reading a comic book and drinking tea.  He would look up and notice us and go "Oh, hello there.  I'm Jimmy Zielinski, lead developer for Call of Duty Zombies mode.  I just wanted to thank you for all of your support over the years.  I know what you're probably wondering.  "What next Jimmy?  What does this mean?  What about this?"  Well calm down young one.  The honest truth is, we have no earthly idea where this story is going.  We just throw in a bunch of random occult symbols and let those crazies on CoDz go to work and make our story work.  We have no idea what's going on.  But hey..." He takes another sip of tea and winks at the camera.  "Thanks for doing our job for us..."  The camera zooms out as Jimmy continues to read the comic, until it all fades to black.

I always imagined that the end cutscene would just be Jimmy Z sitting in a chair, with a lampstand and lamp, reading a comic book and drinking tea.  He would look up and notice us and go "Oh, hello there.  I'm Jimmy Zielinski, lead developer for Call of Duty Zombies mode.  I just wanted to thank you for all of your support over the years.  I know what you're probably wondering.  "What next Jimmy?  What does this mean?  What about this?"  Well calm down young one.  The honest truth is, we have no earthly idea where this story is going.  We just throw in a bunch of random occult symbols and let those crazies on CoDz go to work and make our story work.  We have no idea what's going on.  But hey..." He takes another sip of tea and winks at the camera.  "Thanks for doing our job for us..."  The camera zooms out as Jimmy continues to read the comic, until it all fades to black.

LMAO!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

post of the day

• Administrators

I did a theory years ago that showed that they had already planned all the way up to moon by the time der riese came out. So yes, they plan things ahead of time. As for in BO2 I can't say. Up to buried probably. But Origins might have been improvised. Maybe MotD as well because of its lack of relevance to the rest.

This seems very similar to the minds behind Lost. They claimed throughout the series that the story was planned from the beginning.

However what was later revealed was the only thing planned was the show opens on jacks eye, and closes on jacks eye. Everything else was filled in along the way.

This. Yes.

I don't give a whoot what happened in Origins. I would love the next title opened up where we left on moon and there was a story running with the O4 (sans Richto) running parallel to the N4. We were able to see the impact each crew made on the other's fate, based on choices made in the previous game. If the devs just came out and said "Look we f*cked up, lets just pretend that didn't happened. Oh and hey, we have a new map with Easter Eggs and Side Quests that are storyline relevant." I would be like "We coo."

I'm pretty much sold on the ad lib aspect of zombies.

There is a foundation, but the community builds it and sometimes they take notice and add Easter eggs that are based on our ideas. But with all of the "what do you think" and "perhaps,maybe,perhaps,maybe" we always hear from JimmyZ it just makes me think they take credit sometimes for things they shouldn't.

Edited by Tattoo247

Not many works of fiction, especially across series are rarely fully fleshed out when they are thought of.

The most famous I know of that was, is Harry Potter.

The most famous I know of that wasn't, is A Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thrones).

The best fantasy (my genre) starts with an authors idea and then after feedback things are changed.

Treyarch probably storyboard the main points, and then wing it somewhat.

As someone who doesn't follow the story but having read many opinions from other users who have, I can pretty safely say that Treyarch wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't get out.

To be fair there were some quotes in the TranZit sound files that pointed to Richtofen having killed off the rest of the O4 back at moon...

What I've been hoping for ever since Richtofen got in that MPD was an internal fight between Richtofen, the rational doctor who started working for Group 935 to help people, and his evil side, AKA 'the voices', which are probably Vril souls or something.

I've always liked Richtofen's schizophrenia and the fact that everything he did was predestined as the voices told him what to do whenever something needed to be done.

Just my two cents. I feel like this is a trump card they never even played anymore post BO1. Though I had this theory that the 'static' (I really can't find a better word for it) Samuel would here back in Die Rise were the voices in Richtofen's head going via Richtofen to Samuel in a sort of voice-ception.

The story is very blank for a reason. The holes are meant to be filled in by the community and in our own personal ideas. The community as of late seems to have forgotten how little info there was in der riese, and how most of the story this far is made up by US anyway. So get to work imagining the bo2 story, I know I have. (And in my head its awesome!)

Hell Treyarch basically told us that we invented Sam, so I think a lot of it was technically forged by the community at first. I wish they would go back to that. Back to all the cryptic easter eggs that related to real myths and such and we just pieced it together. I can't express that enough.

In a way, WaW Zombies was one big history/mythology lesson with a twist and a fuckton of zombies.

That's what got me into Zs in the first place, it was laced with somewhat, well known events that made it educational. The theories and discoveries just seemed to be better then, now they've just gotten silly, adding any historic event at random when in fact they should still be cashing in on the Nazi aspect of it.

And I would put money on the fact that we turn the Earth back to it's original form, in some way or another. It was such a huge mistake doing that, or I should say it was a mistake to take it in the direction they did.

• Administrators

Well, it's better that we create the story ourselves anyways. Every play with Legos? There's very little fun in going completely by the instruction booklets. You build whatever contraption the set was specifically designed to be, only to break off all the pieces and create something that you wanted it to be. That was the beauty of Legos - mixing up blocks that never belonged with one another and finishing in a beautiful creation that you purely created.

Imagination is limitless.

This is why I miss the days of World at War and [especially] Black Ops. Give us small tidbits where a person could segway into unlimited possibilities. In Black Ops 2, they just slammed down a wall and said "now let's see you get around that" with very little information to go by. There's a difference between a community-driven story and poor story-telling.

There's a difference between a community-driven story and poor story-telling.

B) 3arc needs that written in every office.

Also to be honest, I think the community has grown smaller because of BO2 story telling. Yea, it drew some new fans in, but I don't see any of the old school theorists anymore, and for myself, I couldn't build a decent fan fiction from BO2 if a Pulitzer was on the line.