Final Fantasy XV looks amazing, so here's a thread about it

ZombieOfTheDead

Had nothing to do today, and I'm freakin out over this game. Easily one of the best looking games yet. If you haven't, watch these trailers for it

This first one was the reveal trailer that came out when it was revealed (2006, yeah it's been a long development cycle). As soon as I saw it (around 2012, I think?) I immediately wanted it. So awesome.

So yeah, hype train is a go for me. If you're bothered by the character designs... don't be.

This game is similar to Kingdom Hearts in combat, as a hack and slash action RPG. I guess the game is also supposed to have a road trip movie vibe to it. 

No release date yet, but it's looking like later 2015, early 2016 at this point in time. Anyways, thoughts, discussions, etc? Please, I have no one to discuss this awesomeness with!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks freaking unreal.

As a big FF fan, I'm surprised I actually know very little about this game.

Never took the time to look it up, really. It's sure as hell shaping up to be a huge game on all fronts.

The passion and attention to detail Japanese developers have is astounding. Right up there with Polish and Ukrainian devs.

Hype is a go!

The only thing I'm worried about with this game is what the new director said about the combat. According to him, you hold a certain button to create strings of attacks. There's no word if you can just do it the Kingdom Hearts way with one attack per button hit, which sounds vastly more fun. I'll still buy it either way, but it makes me a little uneasy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TERRRRRN BAEEEEST

I will buy this game out of pure tradition (I do not pass on FF games ever since I've made my own money) but I will be let down if it's arcade style and reminds me of the LIghtening series, which was great in it's own right, but it's hard to accept as a FF game for me (because I'm old and in my day we had to take turns to smack each other)

TERRRRRN BAEEEEST

I will buy this game out of pure tradition (I do not pass on FF games ever since I've made my own money) but I will be let down if it's arcade style and reminds me of the LIghtening series, which was great in it's own right, but it's hard to accept as a FF game for me (because I'm old and in my day we had to take turns to smack each other)

Man I miss the turn based smack em up!

Often use my psp to play the old games, I miss the gameplay so much.

*grabs walking stick*

They don't make things like they used ta...

I never liked turn based combat, except for 2 games: Pokemon and Persona 4. I just prefer being able to control my movements, and dodging. That's the main reason why FFXV looks so much more interesting than other FFs.

Pokemon was my first turn based game. After that I was hooked. Personally, I don't understand how people love playing pokemon, but can't hack other turn based rpgs.

But above all the gameplay, the story is what makes it for me. Here's hoping FFXV is going to be epically awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Time to talk about the demo since I've had it a couple of days now.

Music

11/10. I think we all expect this from Yoko Shimomura, though. Here's an example

Dat piano, tho. It's not the same version of the song you've probably heard before.

Characters/voice acting

Pros-

The voices are actually REALLY good. I already love our little boyband. Gladiolus (mullet man) is the big bro type of character, and man is he a tank. He hardly ever goes down. I was surprised by how much I liked his character. Prompto (blondie) is a happy go lucky goofball, who also wrecks the groups car. I was again surprised by how much I liked his character. The dude is kind of a screw-up, but he means well. You can tell he's the least experienced in fighting as well, because he's almost always the first to go down, lol. 

Ignis (glasses w/ michael jackson gloves) is the responsible one of the group. Without him, they'd all be screwed. He cooks, and comes up with their battle plans. There was even a cool little sequence where he directs where we should go to fight the behemoth. He's a little too formal, but I think he's pretty cool. As for Noctis (aka Sasuke 2.0, lol), I actually didn't get too much of an impression from him. You'll be happy to know he doesn't seem very emo. He seems like an average guy (pretty calm for his city being invaded) who also has a slight batman voice and an emo haircut. 

Their interactions with each other are pretty cool, too. Cheering each other on in battle, and little side conversations out of it. I've never had the feeling of characters truly being friends in a video game until I played this demo. It's really cool. Especially their nicknames. Gladio, Iggy (this one's the best), and Noct.

Cons-

The dynamic voicing sometimes comes off as awkward, such as when pointing out a point of interest. Ex: Prompto- Hey, Noct! Check this out! Noctis- YEAH!?

Graphics/atmosphere

Pros-

The graphics on this game are insane. Very few games look this good. What I like the most is that, while being fantasy like, the environment still seems like something you can see in real life. It makes me want to go on a roadtrip myself. The atmosphere of the game draws me in that much.

The character models are pretty good. Skin doesn't look perfect, but it's passable. The hair is pretty great, though. While not perfect, and kind of pixely, I've never seen it done better in a game. Just the way it waves around.

Animations are top notch on almost everything.

Cons-

Frame rate is NOT stable. It's a little choppy at times. Fortunately, huge lag spikes are not very common. I've had maybe 2. Also, NPC models are a little too samey, and don't have the best facial animations.

Gameplay

Pros-

Combat takes a note from Kingdom Hearts, big time. It's basically an evolution of that system. What's really cool about this system, is that you choose a weapon for each stage of your attack (hence why Noct pulls out so many different weapons within a few seconds). You only get 5 weapons in the demo, but it's cool mixing to see what works best for each stage of the attack. Warping is also pretty nice, makes getting to enemies that move alot much easier.

You also get your limit break (Armigear), which is the cool thing in the initial trailer that has the phantom swords moving around Noct. You can only activate it when you MP is full, and it's pretty powerful. Another thing about MP, everything uses it. Dodging, warping, and abilities. I can only imagine what it's going to be like when magic is in the full game. This means you've really got to think about how you spend your MP. If you lose all MP, you go into stasis, which results in you falling to your knees for a few seconds, and only being able to attack afterwards. On to abilities. Basically, it's the command deck system from KH, except these cost MP. Brilliant idea if I do say so myself. 

Enemies are also pretty varied. You've got your fast moving sabertusks, your goblins which can overwhelm you in numbers (which can be a death sentence in caves), your magitek soldiers that can appear on the field at anytime, even while already fighting something, along with a few others. Each pretty much requires a different strategy to fight.

Cons-

The lock on system sucks. It doesn't hard lock like KH, you need to hold down R1 to keep locked on, and even then it doesn't always hold. There is actually a hard lock, but you have to press R1 and R3 at once, which is kind of annoying.

You can't warp out of combat. Might only be for the demo. Some enemies, like the behemoth, are WAAAAY too OP, and have too much HP. Might also be for the demo. Summons, also, are way to OP, but that's pretty much just for the demo. MP also runs out way too fast. I get conserving it, but when abilities cost a third of your MP, you kind of need to add a little more.

There weren't too many sidequests. I think that'll be more for the final game.

Magitek soldiers come way too often. If it was just one or two, no big deal, but when 10 of them drop down in addition to the 5 enemies I'm already fighting, it's kind of a pain in the ass.

End thoughts

This game has the potential to be one of my favorite games of all time, and that's not just hype talking. Everything about this game screams greatness. It just needs to be tweaked a bit. I'm recommending you all seriously watch this game closely.

I'll have an overview on Type-0 as I play it more. I can tell you, though, the localization is much worse than FFXV's. Other than that, any questions, comments you have for my overview? I'll take as many as you guys want. I just really want to talk about this game more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've got a new trailer today

I'm kinda disappointed. It does have some scenes that'll probably be great in context, but in a trailer don't work very well. On the bright side, it doesn't say "now in development," at the end anymore. Hopefully there's more stuff later on, but for the time being this is basically it.

I didn't mind it. Kind of a nice touching video showing the relationship between Noctis and his dad. Might have some family themes in the game like FFX or FFIV.

I wonder at the end what those things are behind the forcefield. Titans? Summons/Aeons/Eidelons? (no idea what there called in this game)

I didn't mind it. Kind of a nice touching video showing the relationship between Noctis and his dad. Might have some family themes in the game like FFX or FFIV.

I wonder at the end what those things are behind the forcefield. Titans? Summons/Aeons/Eidelons? (no idea what there called in this game)

Yeah, I didn't mind it. It showed us there might be another kind of tone in game that I really like, just the trailer itself was kind of not what you want to show to people to get people excited. It was just a handful of scenes.

Supposedly they aren't eidolons according to the devs, but idk what else they could be. I thought they were airships at first, but apparently they're some type of living this.

Also: http://gematsu.com/2015/08/report-final-fantasy-xv-slated-2016-release

They're aiming for 2016, yay!

Oh that's awesome! I actually bought Type 0, it has the demo code in it. I can't wait to give it a shot, once I buy a PS4 :lol:

I also found out like yesterday that Stella has been removed from the game. They've apparently changed her character into someone else. It's sad cause she seemed pretty cool, but I guess that happens when a game like this changes so much.

• 7 months later...

I played the new demo. At first I wasn't a fan of it. It felt pretty unresponsive, and there were some weird things about it that I don't understand why they changed when KH had them down pat. My second playthrough I mellowed out about things a little, and felt like it would probably feel a little bit better in the final game. 

Loved the soundtrack, fantastic job by Yoko Shimomura once again. The art direction was great, and the graphics as well. I kinda liked how it invoked Kingdom Hearts a bit. Kid Noctis had a similar look to Sora, but in black, and that second area was totally reminiscent of Wonderland and Cinderella's world.

I guess overall I'd rate it 7/10. Hoping the actual game blows me away, though.

How did I not know Shimomura was doing XV's soundtrack? I was already gonna buy it but damn that's some good news to hear. Every Final Fantasy has had a great soundtrack so glad to hear this won't be the exception.

I haven't played either demo yet but I probably should.

Archived