I always call fire or lightning staff in the pregame lobby and if they don't like it I leave immediately. I don't like getting wind or ice staff in co-op because imo wind sucks the big one and ice can't save you if you're trapped from my experience so I don't usually bother with it.

Are you kidding me? Glad I have never ran into you in a public lobby then.

Why is it so important? Variety is the spice of life as they say... mix your game up a little now and again and it keeps it fresh. To demand a certain staff and then act like a baby if you don't get your way is the sign of a poor team-mate if you ask me. I get what you are saying about sorting it all out early though, but I would never leave a lobby bases on staff choices. Hell, I would happily run the map without a staff if it came to it.

It's not a make or break issue to me really.

same here, if the randoms hobos are calling out "i want, I wants" my responds is always "i take whatever is left, and if i get left with lighting i'm not bothering with the upgrade".... then i usually get told how to upgrade it blah blah blah, when i know how to. Its more of a i don't want to bother, seeing its not A+ holy cow killer, and when its upgraded the super charge has no effect on the panzer, just like the wind its single shots only cause panzer damage..

i usually find the superman who is holding the fire staff prior to the panzer drop and hang with him for a little bit...

1. ice

2. wind

3. boomhillda (no box movement)

4. mark 2

lighting has no rank seeing that it has no usage except on instakill past 30, its stinky pooooo 

fire only usage is on panzers with a 6 charge shot its one hit kill forever (i think) but with zombies its joke usually begins after rd40. the zombies start to walk over the "fresh and fully charged lava" and by rd55 its barely killing zombies, if any with a 6shot...                          

so i personally only do ice, wind, and maybe fire but only if the ice parts hide til rd10

i think the ballista is a better weapon then the lighting staff on origins

PS - If you don't like the wind staff, I'd strongly suggest learning how to properly use it.... a tight wrapped 24horde gets eliminated with 3shot blast forever I believe, or at least til the mid 70s

Edited by mralways1
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically when I play games and people are calling staffs, I tend to say: ANYTHING THATS NOT WIND. 

Because it is both the most tedious to build and worst staff in general. 

Ice is good, 

Lightning is fantastic, but a bit of a pain to build

And there's always that ONE kid who says he HAS to have the fire staff, but if you do get it, it's pretty kick-ass. 

people who "call" staffs in the pre-game lobby should immediately get permabanned

Why? You would rather have ppl troll, get trolled or argue about which staff they are getting midway through the setup of the game? I've had players troll me (although very rarely) to where I called a staff but we both wanted the same staff so I went down to excavation to build it and he immediately took it from me after building it. So yea from now on I'm only going to be "calling" staffs in random games going forward. No thanks I don't want to deal with that. I always call fire or lightning staff in the pregame lobby and if they don't like it I leave immediately. I don't like getting wind or ice staff in co-op because imo wind sucks the big one and ice can't save you if you're trapped from my experience so I don't usually bother with it.

In terms of ease of build this is my ranking from easiest to hardest:

1. Lightning

2. Ice

3. Fire

4. Wind

In terms of easiest to upgrade this is my ranking from easiest to hardest:

1. Wind

2. Ice

3. Fire

4. Lightning

Now to answer your final question on what's the best staff overall, obviously technically it's the ice staff but I only use that staff to camp and usually only on solo. Otherwise my preferred staff in co-op is fire staff since it's the best at getting out of a jam, the best for dealing with the panzers & makes life so much easier in general on co-op. Since I know that playing with randoms and playing with 3-4 ppl means that we're most likely not going to get to a high enough round to even start considering the fire staff being ineffective anymore, it's not something I worry about.

thats the pathetic thing is that many feel that they have to settle this pre-game to avoid losing "their" staff or whatever.  dumb.  if someone takes the staff you want, just take a different one.... they are all powerful, especially once upgraded. suck it up and just play the game and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I generally try to go fire staff because I think that it is the easiest to upgrade although I used to be a real sucker for the ice staff just because it doesn't take a long time to build and let's admit, the upgraded ice staff is pretty fricken cool. Lightning is useful against the panzer which the only real reason why I would use it. I think that the wind is next to useless though it sucks on ammo and in the later rounds isn't that great.

I generally try to go fire staff because I think that it is the easiest to upgrade although I used to be a real sucker for the ice staff just because it doesn't take a long time to build and let's admit, the upgraded ice staff is pretty fricken cool. Lightning is useful against the panzer which the only real reason why I would use it. I think that the wind is next to useless though it sucks on ammo and in the later rounds isn't that great.

Pretty sure its fire that is useful for the panzer.

Wind and ice are the only ones that do anything past round 40-50  

• Administrators

Lightning Staff is also good, give that you charged it of course. I'd say that the effectiveness of it ends roughly around 45 though.

And if anything, Wind is not effective other than halting zombies in their tracks. Very, very bad if you're caught in a crowded because there's no way you'll escape unlike with the Fire of Lightning staff uncharged.

Lightning Staff is also good, give that you charged it of course. I'd say that the effectiveness of it ends roughly around 45 though.

And if anything, Wind is not effective other than halting zombies in their tracks. Very, very bad if you're caught in a crowded because there's no way you'll escape unlike with the Fire of Lightning staff uncharged.

Yeah it is good but when you get higher than 40 it starts to become useless.

I found wind and ice the only ones worth having by round 40-50 

wind is next to useless though it sucks on ammo and in the later rounds isn't that great.

I could not disagree more.

As a killing weapon it may be the worst due to ammo amount, but as a training weapon and getting out of jams weapon it is far superior.

In fact, I only use the wind staff in the earlier rounds, and move on to ice or fire once the spawns pick up.

After fooling around with all four staffs, I will say that the wind staff is the only true "save your ass" staff of the four.

Although Ice, Fire, and Lightning staffs have more ammo, they do not kill fast enough on contact. I lost track how many times I go down 5-10 seconds after a charged shot not killing zombies.

Not the wind staff. It immediately and quickly sucks the zombies into a tornado with a charged shot, or it sends zombies flying with a regular shot. The regular shot need to be close quarters to be effective, but good enough to save your stinky ass.

Another advantage of the wind staff is that it is one of the easiest to obtain. At any moment, any round, you can get the staff parts given you have the patience. No monetary necessary and no special skills needed. Upgrading is also the easiest to complete. No special notes, weapons, or other inconvenient tasks to perform.

You can still go down with an ultimate staff, unless you have the wind. It is the easiest to obtain and upgrade, and the best to save you from downs.

Wind staff, the is the Jay of staffs.

Don't charge the lightning staff just spam fire. That kills or stuns them instantly. It's charged shot is slow moving and disappointing. 

I like ice cause i can upgrade it by memory after games of using it. Wind is fast with a little reminding. So one of those two as long as everyone helps collect the parts. I think in a lobby everyone should focus on helping each other get staff parts. Lightning and wind particularly go much much faster this way. 

And i see no problem calling out staves AS LONG as you are not a dick about it. Demanding fire (or whatever element) no matter what is plain rude. Ive seen plenty of people leave lobbies over staves. Thats why in random lobbies I just take whatever is left... Its not worth the fight.

Fire in Co-op because it kills the panzers instantly with a charge and when you have a team 3 spawn in the later rounds.  I know ice is prob the best choice but the delayed effect of ice turns me off to it.  With a team of randoms I will use anything because chances are game wont go past 25-30 before someone quits or we finish the EE.

They all have their merits. Ice is probably the least effective in later rounds, yet if you have it you can give yourself zombie bloods all game for extra perks. Fire and Lightning both dispatch the Panzer's quickly and Wind (as mentioned by boring guy) is the best for getting out of a jam. I have no true preference at this point, an experienced player can make the magic happen with any staff.

If you actually "know" these staffs and origins then you know this isn't directed towards you.... but for the rest who've posted a reply even suggesting or hinting "high round"...... smh, really?, sorry but some replies are just insane, and straight up dog crap! If your thoughts stray from Booms comment, please seek a doctor, soon, like ASAP! or just rethink lol

Ice staff reigns supreme. In longevity and raw power it it knocks the others out of the park.

My staff rank would be:

• Ice
  • Wind
  • Fire
  • Lightning

What i dont like about the ice staff is the fact that zombies still attack you after you shoot them, which can get you into real shit. Great ammo though.

The Wind staff is very powerful and fun to use, but really lacks on ammo.

The fire staff is a great overall staff, good against panzers, good ammo, pretty much good everything.

The lightning staff is also powerful against panzers and has great ammo. What is great about it is that you feel secure when using it, because if you ever get stuck surrounded by zombies, just shoot at your feet a couple times and your safe.

Considering all these reasons here is my top 4:

Lightning

Fire

Ice

Wind

oh really the Wind staff is permanently a one hit kill... no, not at all, it actually takes two shots at like round 22

Actually you can kill an entire spawn of zombies with Wind and Ice staves using their upgraded blast as high as round 100. Only issue becomes ammo conservation, which is why you use the tank method. Tedious but useful.

Are you sure the upgraded Wind staff is a one shot kill for any round? I remember playing with it ( i always upgrade them) and switching to lightning at like round 22 or so because of its lack of power, ammo, ...pretty much lack of everything

I'm not sure it's quite as high as 100 (isn't it actually 80 something?) but wind should not be forgotten. You have to charge it though, that's a mistake that many people make.

Charged it kills far beyond fire and lightning.

I've already posted in this thread, but I'll post again.

The most powerful staff is the ice. Mainly because of power and ammo. Fire is awesome to get out of tricky situations.

My personal combo (for solo) is fire till 40, then ice.

For coop, give me wind any day of the week.

Lightning I can't remember the spots for, I always have to look it up, so end up never getting that staff.

I watched a live stream go into the early 90 rounds and the wind staff was still doing work.

Edit: with a charged shot. Should have specified

I really don't think charged should be specified to be fair, if you can kill zombies with single blasts on round 50+ you need a medal! :-P

I agree, though some people need things s-p-e-l-l-e-d out for them. ;)

The wind and ice staffs are permanently one hit kill with charged shots. They don't nerf at any point. Boom is right in his assessment (if you are looking to go to round 100+ on solo or 2P). Ice is best followed by wind then fire and finally lightning.

If you plan on playing a round 40+ 4P game then they are all decent and all are still very effective.