COD 2015's era: Future or past

Cod 2015  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is a very troublesome issue that needs to be discussed: What era will the game after AW be? 

There are 3 possibilities in my mind: 

- They continue what they're doing allowing for a futuristic environment, this allows more imagination and gameplay elements like the exo-suit or the air strikes. However the community is supposedly growing tired of these games… What with Halo, the past 4 games, and battlefield being all futuristic… People are becoming bored apparently… I certainly am not, it's call of duty, the more cool shiz we get to kill with the better, I don't want to fight with muskets!

-They return to their roots offering WW1/WW2/Coldwar era combat. This restricts the imagination of the creators, and doesn't allow us the crazy fun we had in previous games, however a change in era would be approved of by others. Personally I see this as the least likely rout. 

- They get the best of both worlds with a change in history. Much like how wolfenstein's world became more advanced then ours in 20 years, the cold war era could have been drastically changed with a different history,but with older weapons, and still futuristic technology. I don't see this as the MOST likely solution but I do see it as the one to please those who want something new, and those who don't want to go back to basics…. 

The era of the next game is CRUCIAL for zombies. The era of weapons used are the same as the ones being used in zombies. Basically meaning what we see in campaign are the weapons we'll get in zombies.

What do you think?  

Edited by Stop mocking me0
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with the woman.

Black ops 2's campaign jumped back and forth between past and future. They could pull that off again.

I don't like the alternate timeline / altered history route. None of the campaigns are really canon in relatiin to each other (black ops and modern warfare don't happen in the same universe I think) but they are still each supposed to be depictions of real or realistic events. That sense of realism is lost in an unrealistic setting. Save that mumbo jumbo for zombies.

The thing that bothers me most is how far we've stretched the non-fiction of the CoD universe to the point where these last few games are purely sci-fi instead. And while IMO, the campaigns and missions (particularly in Ghosts) are pretty interesting, I'd like to take a few steps back and peek back into the historical related events again. There's still SO much they could do. I feel Black Ops covered that perfectly as an example, it was still the past, but not your typical WWI or II shooter we saw in the first three CoD games or WaW. Then Black Ops II did a good job at linking the past to the future, but CoD aside, EVERYONE is doing sci-fi or modern shooters. 

Wishful thinking here BUT, If they don't at least do another game similiar to Black Ops era wise, it would be nice to at least give the historical CoD side of things a reboot. Do some sort of "Call of Duty Remastered" that features the best WW maps from CoD 1, 2, 3 and WaW.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to go back in time. Back to WW2, or WW1.

My biggest fear with Advanced Warfare is the new exo abilities.

How could you possibly go back in time and include them?

WW1 trenches with double jump abilities and jetpacks? Somehow I don't think so.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Well think. Orgins takes place in.Ww1 . Im pretty sure they didnt hsve Lsats and 50 ft tall robots or G strikes back then

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

Well think. Orgins takes place in.Ww1 . Im pretty sure they didnt hsve Lsats and 50 ft tall robots or G strikes back then

Too true. They sure didn't. They also didn't have a pack-a-punch machine, perks or a mystery box back then either.

Pretty sure they didn't also have zombies.

Zombies as a gamemode throws a lot of random/magical/pretend aspects to it. But this whole thread is about the setting of the next COD, not the next zombies map, which does tend to be on the realistic side of things.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk Too true. They sure didn't. They also didn't have a pack-a-punch machine, perks or a mystery box back then either.

Pretty sure they didn't also have zombies.

Zombies as a gamemode throws a lot of random/magical/pretend aspects to it. But this whole thread is about the setting of the next COD, not the next zombies map, which does tend to be on the realistic side of things. But im saying this because it wil affect the weapons in zombies. In bo 1 we had most cold war weapons with 1 waw weapon mp40..same for bo2

He's got a point, but still, weapon era is not a very stable thing considering one can pull weapons from any era off the wall or out of a box.

But if you notice most box pulls were dominated by said games era with rare exceptions. You werent getting doubled barrel shotguns ppsh's mp40s or mg42s from the box on ascension. Instead you got cold war weapons like g11 famas galil crossbow cz75 hk21 rpk etc

We kind of have that, Nuketown, Tranzit, Die Rise.

I think we should be looking at the final map, Origins. In BO1, Moon was the final map, and the next maps were set after the events of Moon. So my theory is, we will be in a WW1 era, leading to future by the end.

But what about the one finger salute orgins gave to the story? And wouldnt it lead to shi no numa/verruckt instead of the future future

• Administrators

We gotta go future. As much as people dislike futuristic elements in Call of Duty, it's the best option to flow with. Like Mocking said, it allows for a plethora of imaginative tools, weaponry, gadgets, and concepts. That's why so many shooters work with the future - it's easy to mold and holds no static infrastructure. There is no formula to follow other than "Hmmm it would be awesome if we changed the dynamics of _______ by adding ________ with it". Plus, when have we ever thought that going back in time would make things "okay"?

Besides, Zombies-wise we don't want anymore historic/past maps. We've already screwed up the storyline by wedging new maps in between others only to cause story displacement. Maybe one like MotD here and there to offer relevant information so we can soothe the "time wound", but nothing more. The future is bright.

I think we should be looking at the final map, Origins. In BO1, Moon was the final map, and the next maps were set after the events of Moon. So my theory is, we will be in a WW1 era, leading to future by the end.

But what about the one finger salute orgins gave to the story? And wouldnt it lead to shi no numa/verruckt instead of the future future

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk That's possible. The time period. The important thing to remember is that going into the past, there are rules they have to follow, where as into the future, there is no rule. Say they go 500 years into the future, Dr./Sam, do not have to be the controlling party.

Sometime between Origins, and MOTD someone else took control of the zombies (red eyes), so explaining the roots of that persons reign could be a possible map.

Maybe in the future Stulinger can take control, or one of the others. Who knows really.

Edit: I should say, I have done the Weasel side of the MOTD EE, but I don't remember it. Was it him that was controlling the zombies? If it was, who was controlling them before the final step?

Edited by BestOfAllTime32

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk That's possible. The time period. The important thing to remember is that going into the past, there are rules they have to follow, where as into the future, there is no rule. Say they go 500 years into the future, Dr./Sam, do not have to be the controlling party.

Sometime between Origins, and MOTD someone else took control of the zombies (red eyes), so explaining the roots of that persons reign could be a possible map.

Maybe in the future Stulinger can take control, or one of the others. Who knows really. I always thought noone was in control with sam as the announcer. That and motd isnt really the same timeline. Its just the mobsters being forced to relive there death in purgatory unless they break the cycle

Maybe in the future Stulinger can take control, or one of the others. Who knows really. I always thought noone was in control with sam as the announcer. That and motd isnt really the same timeline. Its just the mobsters being forced to relive there death in purgatory unless they break the cycle

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk Well that doesn't make much sense. I mean it's a game, so it doesn't have to, but why wouldn't someone be controlling them.

I don't know, just thought that could be a good starting point for the next game, before MOTD, taking control from Sam and giving it to ___ .

Sent from my SGH-T599N using TapatalkThat's possible. The time period. The important thing to remember is that going into the past, there are rules they have to follow, where as into the future, there is no rule. Say they go 500 years into the future, Dr./Sam, do not have to be the controlling party.

Maybe in the future Stulinger can take control, or one of the others. Who knows really.I always thought noone was in control with sam as the announcer. That and motd isnt really the same timeline. Its just the mobsters being forced to relive there death in purgatory unless they break the cycle

Sent from my SGH-T599N using TapatalkWell that doesn't make much sense. I mean it's a game, so it doesn't have to, but why wouldn't someone be controlling them.

I don't know, just thought that could be a good starting point for the next game, before MOTD, taking control from Sam and giving it to ___ . Well think. Before all the griffin station and Mpd stuff they tried controlling zombies...didnt work to well. They still werent obedient and had violent outbursts. Could this be the case here with their violent uncontrolled selves?

I think that you'll find that MOTD is most reasonably in hell, and thus has been, and will presumably be under the control of the grand evil (Be that whom you think). This would explain how one is able to fly a plane into the golden gate multiple times, why the zombies eyes are red, why brutus's name is what it is, why there are 3 dog heads (This is dont'e ancient stuff), and why the mobsters can't really die all that easily (Ghost mode and rebirth), as well as how weasel, one who has not sinned with adultery, murder, or lies, is able to escape. 

If MOTD is in hell it's considered timeless and could both be a frozen few seconds of 1933, or centuries old time bubble in a psychotic loop only weasel notices. 

Furthermore Griffen station happened YEARS after MOTD and Origins's base time. Samantha came into control early 40s when WAW was in full swing and the nazi party was well… Being evil…. Sam entered the MPD and thus became the original announcer. Then came the events of Nact, Verruct, Shi-no, moon, tranzit, buried, everything. Origins is set in a world where somehow aetheric or argarthian samantha is able to communicate with maxis and control zombies, this leads to changes in history. But this does not matter, because Origins, just origins, is a game made up by samantha and richtofen's presence in samantha's aetheric state. 

Now, don't take everything you heard as fact in any way shape or form, but this is a generally accepted theory and should help your topic to some extent. 

OH! And I should also mention that in the main universe, 935 was either disbanded between 1919 and 194X or it simply didn't exist in the "real" world yet. So no big research was to be done. 

I think that you'll find that MOTD is most reasonably in hell, and thus has been, and will presumably be under the control of the grand evil (Be that whom you think). This would explain how one is able to fly a plane into the golden gate multiple times, why the zombies eyes are red, why brutus's name is what it is, why there are 3 dog heads (This is dont'e ancient stuff), and why the mobsters can't really die all that easily (Ghost mode and rebirth), as well as how weasel, one who has not sinned with adultery, murder, or lies, is able to escape.

If MOTD is in hell it's considered timeless and could both be a frozen few seconds of 1933, or centuries old time bubble in a psychotic loop only weasel notices.

Furthermore Griffen station happened YEARS after MOTD and Origins's base time. Samantha came into control early 40s when WAW was in full swing and the nazi party was well… Being evil…. Sam entered the MPD and thus became the original announcer. Then came the events of Nact, Verruct, Shi-no, moon, tranzit, buried, everything. Origins is set in a world where somehow aetheric or argarthian samantha is able to communicate with maxis and control zombies, this leads to changes in history. But this does not matter, because Origins, just origins, is a game made up by samantha and richtofen's presence in samantha's aetheric state.

Now, don't take everything you heard as fact in any way shape or form, but this is a generally accepted theory and should help your topic to some extent.

OH! And I should also mention that in the main universe, 935 was either disbanded between 1919 and 194X or it simply didn't exist in the "real" world yet. So no big research was to be done.

So the "its all a childs game only applies to.orgins?and.on thT notee could the song abracadvre from.ascension relate to.it bejng a game? With lines like "are they real, or do they feel? Its all the pain just inside my head" or "but i.know,its all imaginary " or is that refrencing sams unstable mind and emotions

So the "its all a childs game only applies to.orgins?and.on thT notee could the song abracadvre from.ascension relate to.it bejng a game? With lines like "are they real, or do they feel? Its all the pain just inside my head" or "but i.know,its all imaginary " or is that refrencing sams unstable mind and emotions

We gotta go future. As much as people dislike futuristic elements in Call of Duty, it's the best option to flow with. Like Mocking said, it allows for a plethora of imaginative tools, weaponry, gadgets, and concepts. That's why so many shooters work with the future - it's easy to mold and holds no static infrastructure. There is no formula to follow other than "Hmmm it would be awesome if we changed the dynamics of _______ by adding ________ with it". Plus, when have we ever thought that going back in time would make things "okay"?

Besides, Zombies-wise we don't want anymore historic/past maps. We've already screwed up the storyline by wedging new maps in between others only to cause story displacement. Maybe one like MotD here and there to offer relevant information so we can soothe the "time wound", but nothing more. The future is bright.

*cracks fingers* time for debate!

I don't want to be biased or anything because I tend to have an automatic attachment to the original thing I'm used to. I started off my CoD career with WaW, and played the campaigns of 1,2 and 3 before I ever had XBL. BUT, I don't see why exactly it always has to be futuristic to be original and creative. 

I quite like the ideas of the main CoD campaign having some kind of steampunk/fallout theme to it. I used complain how CoD used to be related to real historical events and that these modern/futuristic games are starting to peel that fundamental from CoD. But hell, if they are already creating their own stories of events that haven't happened, set in the future, I don't see why we can't be as creative with the past. Zombies is a perfect example of that; plenty of unreal and groundbreaking discoveries of technology and advanced weapons that obviously never existed in that era. 

I'm not saying we completely throw in the towel with storylines relating to or based off real history, but there's plenty any of these CoD developers could do with the past and still introduce things that were non-existant then or even today. It's the theme, the grungy-noirish type of old school theme that I personally miss. Let's see some Bioshock/Fallout-theme meets CoD or something, and you could easily twist that around something historical and base it off that.