Boom115

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Besides, I like my purple!

Wouldn't you rather be yellow? :P

I think it is pretty safe to say that there will be a new thread about what exactly has been discussed at the meeting.

So I am asking if we could get a list of the staff which has been a part of it? 

That would be nice. :3

I hope this isn't too late to be brought up at the meeting...

We don't need a new section and a mature tag is not going to stop the immature from reading and/or posting. Age doesn't always define maturity level, but it is the safest form of censorship available to herd discussion into the proper frame of mind.

I propose we rate our own posts or just add in the ability to do this. If I create a post with the intention of having serious adult discussion, I may rate my post as mature. This thread should now be unviewable by anyone under the age of X. X could be 18, 21, 30, whatever the forum decides. As an obvious effect, no member under this age would be able to rate a topic as mature. Normal CoC would apply, however, we should create a CoC entirely separate for these "Mature" posts that allows profanity, NSFW images, and generally controversial subjects. Of course flaming would still be a potential, but it would also be reportable and if a member is discovered by Staff to be flaming during one of these "Mature" discussions, that member's Mature access will be suspended or restricted completely, depending on severity.

With a system like that, your own level of maturity will be tested during heated discussion, so make sure you stay objective.

What we should not do is allow senior members the ability to view mature content, regardless of tenure with the forum or how we perceive their level of maturity. Some clear line must be established and enforced. 

From my own personal experience with mature content and flaming wars on this site, I would rather just keep controversy to myself. However, that's because I don't feel the site has a good system for sharing it responsibly. Here's your system.

• Administrators

I saw that the Asylum and Research Facility was back, so I want to thank everyone for that. I am obsessed with organization and now that I'm back in college, I have more time than when I was working during summer. If the staff needs help with moving threads, I would be more than happy to help out in any way I can. I love seeing the forum looking good and would love to take part in reaching that goal.

Wow... I did not mean to cause such a fuss when I posted that image, but at the end of the day, I still defend my decision to do so. I do not see the harm in posting an image of a woman protesting the same thing that was the topic of debate. I even went out of my way to choose an image of a woman with her nipples cover so as NOT to cause offense.

The people who got offended were quite happy to contribute to the thread, but when presented with such an image decided to cause a fuss over it, and as far as I am concerned, that is their problem, not mine.

That being said, I apologies for causing so much bother over it.

Wow... I did not mean to cause such a fuss when I posted that image, but at the end of the day, I still defend my decision to do so. I do not see the harm in posting an image of a woman protesting the same thing that was the topic of debate. I even went out of my way to choose an image of a woman with her nipples cover so as NOT to cause offense.

The people who got offended were quite happy to contribute to the thread, but when presented with such an image decided to cause a fuss over it, and as far as I am concerned, that is their problem, not mine.

That being said, I apologies for causing so much bother over it.

It's not you, DBZ. At least, not you single handedly. Several members have been involved with some form of content (either from their own words or through related media) that has caused controversy, sparked feelings in fellow members, lead to debate and possibly flames, and/or has otherwise blurred the grey areas of the CoC. 

We're a video game discussion site and community. We're also so niched we become elite and tight-knit. Therefore our discussion will naturally deviate from the game itself because we are so communally bound. Ultimately the discussion will lead to controversy, this is inevitable...However, with age appropriate content in mind, sometimes the forum must silence certain discussion. Even though this mode that the forum itself is centered around is a Mature game (from ratings), we would not have such a large community without many of our underage members. Regardless, the content on this site that is not related to the game may or may not carry with it mature content. 

The problem is that until now, the CoC has just been enforced on a case by case basis and Staff has made decisions in the better interests of the forum. Sometimes this has been good, other times I've felt that potentially great discussions have been derailed. I'd prefer a set system, one like I mentioned before. Although I feel some of the underage members are more mature than some of our adult members and could handle mature discussions, I think an age-restriction is the best way to define a system. This way the adult members have more freedom to express themselves, Staff included, but we also don't have to worry about offending people. If you click on a topic rated "Mature", be prepared and don't flame if you don't like it. If you're underage, you can't see it.

It's a way to keep the family-friendly CoC intact while also allowing for more discussion that could potentially save the site. It makes sense this gets compounded as an issue during off-season. We know all there is to know about Zombies! How many posts are we telling noobs that such and such is just a myth? Lots! So, we should be able to discuss rape culture, or have candid talks about the government, international wars, etc.. However, we shouldn't let the children see this, and for some of those adults that still manage to make unecessary drama out of these mature discussions with immaturity: blind them to it also.

You didn't start this, DBZ, the controversy has been brewing, but that topic does seem to be the straw that broke the camel's back. Or was it MMX's departure? I, for one, saw nothing wrong with the image. I saw several over reactions and MMX leaving is the biggest, but ultimately we can't stand to lose more valuable members like him. We need to address this issue about non-zombie content. Either we all bite our tongues while here, or we form a system to regulate the content. I vote for regulation because I like all of your minds and I want to discuss certain things freely with many of you.

We need to address this issue about non-zombie content. Either we all bite our tongues while here, or we form a system to regulate the content. I vote for regulation because I like all of your minds and I want to discuss certain things freely with many of you.

Here, here.

I certainly did not expect MMX to react in such a manner, nor did I ever want to see such a valued member depart under such circumstances, but at the same time I think he has completely over reacted to the situation. The image was not even remotely controvertial in my opinion, and his response to it was ridiculous.

As has already been pointed out many a time over, this is a site dedicated to an adult rated game. You would like to think such discussions and images can be posted without such drama over it. EJ respoded well to it eventually, but the fuss over it all has left me feeling somewhat disappointed. I expected better from some people, and I am glad to see the amount of support I got from a lot of people.

Appreciated guys. :)

I don't think we need an "adult section". What we need is people to realize what they are actually doing. I think that gets overlooked sometimes.

I do not see the harm in posting an image of a woman protesting the same thing that was the topic of debate. I even went out of my way to choose an image of a woman with her nipples cover so as NOT to cause offense.

The people who got offended were quite happy to contribute to the thread, but when presented with such an image decided to cause a fuss over it.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with DBZ posts/response.

If people can't handle the post or the reply. Why even contribute.

• Administrators
I think it is pretty safe to say that there will be a new thread about what exactly has been discussed at the meeting.

So I am asking if we could get a list of the staff which has been a part of it? 

That would be nice. :3

Yeah @GRILL already has a running thread for the results of the staff meetings. We did a preliminary meeting last friday with @GRILL @Slade @InfestLithium @Hells Warrrior and myself to discuss a few topics that didn't require the full input of the staff also to get an agenda together for this weeks meeting. We will update you soon after ;)

MMX has a very strict and somewhat unorthodox value system.

I mean he never uses words that could be classified as swear words, even in the context of names or quoting. That's why he refers to HellsWarrior as H-Warrior.

His value system basically condemns anything that couldn't be given a PG rating.

I think the first image was probably reacted to somewhat poorly. However the reactions to those reactions also could have used a tad bit more compassion. From there it seems to have just spiraled into a mess.

I personally am old fashioned, in the sense that this forum had operated perfectly fine for a long time without allowing for cussing, or NSFW photos, and I don't really think that needs to change. I mean, NSFW photos could be just linked to, rather than shown in post (even though that is still against the 'old' rules) and I really don't think we need to remove the discouragments on cussing. There are so many other words to use, I just don't see the point to remove the discouragement.

I think that IF, as it seems to be, the decision to throw out the more PG rules of this site is taken, then a simple indicator as Samara illustrated, would be much nicer than an entire section with limitations and age requirements.

The game is a Mature game, but that's just in principle. We cannot ignore the fact that the mature rating isn't law (at least in US), it's a warning. As such, a significant bracket of call of duty players falls under the age of 17 (which is the age at which M rated games are allowed for purchase without parental consent).

I mean he never uses words that could be classified as swear words, even in the context of names or quoting. That's why he refers to HellsWarrior as H-Warrior.

I completely respect that, and now understand his reaction, but it does make me wonder... why would he then play a game like Call of Duty, and more importantly, the zombie game-mode!? I even see him playing GTA V regularly!

Refusing to say the word 'Hell', but partaking in playing a game that features much worse profanities and scenes of a very graphic nature. The game basically glorifies war and using scene such as the person burning alive inside the truck at the beginning of the Angola mission to ramp up the effect of warfare. How about the airport massacre scene from MW2? Don't get me started with GTA V!

I appeciate the moral stance though but still feel his reaction to the image was poorly misjudged.

I completely respect that, and now understand his reaction, but it does make me wonder... why would he then play a game like Call of Duty, and more importantly, the zombie game-mode!? I even see him playing GTA V regularly!

Refusing to say the word 'Hell', but partaking in playing a game that features much worse profanities and scenes of a very graphic nature. The game basically glorifies war and using scene such as the person burning alive inside the truck at the beginning of the Angola mission to ramp up the effect of warfare. How about the airport massacre scene from MW2? Don't get me started with GTA V!

I appeciate the moral stance though but still feel his reaction to the image was poorly misjudged.

My thoughts exactly.  What a double standard.  I have absolutely no problem with a strict moral stance, value systems etc., but you can't pick and choose.  Bottom line is, if it's within your moral code or whatever to play a game with very mature language and content, then you should be perfectly capable of participating in a community of people who play the game.

I think we've all learned something out of this controversy within the "rape culture" thread and have a general consensus among ourselves that this could be handled properly and maturely in threads of a similar nature to come. In the nearly 4 years I've been here, we've lost too many great members because of differences in what's okay and what's not here on CoDZ, and I certainly would like to think we're not going to lose MMX permanently over a controversial topic and a couple NSFW photos. We've all voiced our ideas, opinions and concerns on the matter, at this point, it's up to the staff to decide exactly how we're going to handle adult themed threads. Let's not have to force their hand into putting all these restrictions on discussing adult topics in a forum that should be filled with adults.

We should all be more aware and understanding of our audience and be able to have a civil discussion about whatever we wish to discuss. Adult themed threads aside, I'd like to personally watch out for rising conflicts and solve them before they escalate out of hand, even if it means taking it to them privately to butt heads to come to and understanding or agree to disagree. The way YOU decide to handle things will speak for the maturity in and of itself. If you - CoDz as a whole - value your privilege to have a place to discuss such topics, then let's not waste it with petty heated reactions.

Now that being said, let's steer things back on track here and continue to discuss ways we can improve CoDz, put this in the past and use it as good reminder and example from now on.

I don't quite know if that can be called a double standard in that sense.

I mean, just because there is cussing in the game, doesn't mean you need to cuss to enjoy the gameplay.

Again, I cannot speak for MMX, so I cannot fully explain how his value system works.

Yeah and the game play is killing people.   And to him the sight of a living person with their breasts exposed apparently is more offensive than pretending to kill hundreds and thousands of people in a violent video game.  And he's not the only one, Im sure there a lot of people out there that are like that, I just don't understand, and feel that a video game depicting killing people would be more offensive than a picture of a human being a human

:edit:  doesnt matter, not my life, its his right to be that way

Nudity is a bigger taboo in America than violence (at least in media), we see that and cussing in all sorts of media, and so nobody cares. I could see his justification being "it's a game, and the only thing that matters is that I don't swear because IMO it's bad." I really don't see how people don't understand that bit. It's not really a double standard. Even if you guys consider it that, loads of people do the exact same thing as MMX. I'm sure none of us like real life violence, but we all play these games and watch movies and such. Does that mean that we're being hypocrites? 

Yeah, the nudity taboo doesn't make sense, but that's just the way it is right now, so I expect MMX has just taken it to another level.

EDIT: We really should get back to improving everything else, though.

Edited by Zombieofthedead

Come on guys, I told you to let that thread die and not let it infect other threads! It already got to our chicken sandwiches, and I feel guilty for letting it take hold here. I already apologized for my brief lapse of judgement and maturity in that thread, and I personally believe that I've redeemed myself to an extent through my subsequent change in behavior. If you disagree tell me.

Still I'm not posting this for me. You don't have to worry about that level of immaturity from me anymore. I resolved myself to change, and MMX just left. I'm not going to judge him for that.

I feel more inclined to agree with samara than speedo though. Well I honestly don't think there needs to be a separate section. I understand speedo's desire to say controversial things without consequence. But remember that we are the most respected zombies community. We have an image to uphold. We like to seem mature and civil in the eyes of the rest of the community. It isn't just about creating a semblance of civility though. It's about actually being civil. I don't think we need to make allowances for offensive content, and that we shouldn't allow offensive content, period. What is and isn't offensive to any particular person varies, but that's its own issue.

Mature tags are a good idea. but it is unrealistic to expect ANY change in the forum's structure to give you total immunity from contact with immature people. We just need to each personally resolve ourselves to a higher standard of maturity.