Opinions: Der RIese

In the act of research I pose the question, what did you think of Der Riese? In terms of addition to the storyline, in terms of map and weapon design and what it meant to the evolution of the Zombie game mode in Call of Duty. To you, what did that map mean, what was good about it and what made it bad? This thread should be a place for good discussion and fun, coordinated chat. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly der riese is overrated imo. Over rated does not mean bad. It's an awesome map, but people talk about it like it was forged by the gods. Sure it introduced most of the early storyline, pack-a-punch, and mid-round bosses. All are very nice features. Der riese kinda set the standard for black ops 1 maps. It was probably the best WaW map objectively. It just had more "stuff" than the others. But nostalgia kills people's views of things. There is always that "back in my day" mentality, which makes people glorify classics.

other positive points: Best wall guns of any map IMO (except maybe origins) bowie knife, monkey bomb, teleporters.

Yeah it's rated too highly. Great for its time, but when people say it's the best still I can't help but facepalm. Back then it was praised for how much stuff it had, but later people complain about the amount of things the newer maps have. It also brought out some fairly cookie cutter maps. Kino and Ascension in particular have the same basic formula as it.

As for the good bits, it was revolutionary for it's time. PaP, Bowie, Monkey Bomb. Decent atmosphere (I think I prefer the other WaW maps), and the best wall weapons. The story also really started coming out then. Good zombie designs as well. The DG-3's splash damage drawback was awful, though. 

Hey, I happen to be one of those people Jebus. :P

And frankly all the bells and whistles included in Der Riese, especially when it first released were all just a bonus. What I liked about it most is that I didn't feel restricted to just one decent hold out in the map. Aside from Ascension (which is pretty neck and neck for me) Der Riese was the only map I felt I could legitmately hold them off anywhere with a decent enough weapon combo and loop or trail. Everywhere else required a lot of running around to just stay alive or you'd get've overwhelmed in a hurry and had this one area that was decent for looping if need be but I feel like I could only explore the maps between rounds with a crawler, Der Riese was the first map that I could sit and hold out in more than one area, loop OR take my chances running around everywhere. It still, delivers this sense of adrenaline and suspense more so than most maps for me.

Great map, will never lose it's lustre to me.  Several great areas to run, or circuits if that's your thing...plenty of spots to camp it too.  Great weapons and some brilliant strategies to try.

For me the big appeal is that it doesn't take too long to 'set up'.

You can just hook in and Smash some zombs!

My favorite map of all time for one simple reason. I never had a boring game on this map.

This is where it started with me. Honestly I when I first played zombies I didn't get what the uproar was about and didn't give it a chance. When this map came out my friend came over and told me all the changes and told me to give the mode a second chance. I played der reise and really only it til BO1 came out. No map has had my excitement like this one did.

Zombies now is a chore. You have to do this, that, this, that. Etc. Its not about just killing zombies now. Example origins a map I have no clue why people love. The best way to play it requires over an hour of set up. Der reise was just kill zombies, link teleports, pap, and the fun endless debate catwalk vs alley.

Honestly as a fan the game has about lost me. If BO3 doesnt go back to simple form of the game, sadly it will be the last for me.

Kudos for thinking outside the box because I get it, Der reise is everyone fav.

• 2 weeks later...

I preferred it on W@W because my strategy was ruined when fall damage came into play.

But I still love the map, it raised the bar very high for zombie maps, and is a real reason people expect so much from this franchise. Some of my best games were on that map, not in terms of rounds, but over all enjoyment.

Plus, throwing Monkey in the fire never gets old.

And it also contained the PPSH and the MG42 which we never seen again in any maps after that (tear)

Isnt the mg42 in orgins?

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

No it's not, you might be thinking of the mg08 which is the lmg exclusive to origins and has a similar appearance to the mg42.

I completely agree with k3ys3r when it comes to current zombies. It feels like too much of a chore. Sure you don't "have" to play that way but chances are if you're playing seriously with anyone and want to get everything done faster (which is 99% of players) then you basically have to do the setup each time before you can get to a point where you can just sit back, relax and kill zombies. How could treyarch ever think collecting pieces and parts for buildables would ever be fun? I'm getting off topic tho so I'll get back to my original point of this post.

Der Riese is easily one of my favorite maps. Even tho I didn't join zombie craze until black ops 1, I still greatly enjoyed it. The overall atmosphere, the level design, so many things work well with this map. It's the kind of map that requires very little actual setup, you can just pick up and play. If anyone was wondering, I play the waw maps on black ops 1 because I honestly can't stand playing waw zombies except for custom zombies or the ppsh ever now and again. I do kind of miss that type of zombies but then again I do enjoy a lot of the additional content they have been adding lately to recent maps. I guess I'm torn on whether or not I want to see a return to classic zombies or see a return of the newer zombies where maps literally have 100's of hours worth of content. Unlike most ppl I don't value one over the other I like the both equally for different reasons. 

Sorry if this is a messy post I'm really tired atm.

Edited by ringbearer90