What Makes a Wonder Weapon a Wonder Weapon?

It's a Silver Spoon given to you by Satan that can kill zombies by simply swiping it at them. Half of the Wonder Weapons can be grouped under 115. The other under ethereal. Although to be honest quite a few exhibit both properties. Silver Spoon however is purely ethereal, much like the H*ll's Retriever and Matryoshka Dolls.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing to figure out. The Radios in Ascension show Samantha fancied the Matryoshka Dolls in the same way she did the Teddy Bears. As for the Spoon, I already mentioned little things like it being a gift from SATAN and its magic killing potential. But hey why not mention the fact is floats around in your hand and also magically stirs up tubs of blood too. Ethereal = Aether

Basically yea, any non PaP'd weapon that uses 115.

I agree with MMX on the spoon/spork, it's definitely a weapon that was created by what people seem to think is Satan (I wont argue). Just for the fact that it's a spoon, totally ineffective yet has more power than a 7" bowie knife? It's definitely Ethereal and almost a glimpse at humor from "Satan" being it was, and is probably still used as a weapon in penitentiarys.

Flamethrower: No… Just a not-very-cool weapon… 

I take offense to that. Also, pun intentional? Because I lol'd.

Also, MMX's take on the term intrigues me as well. But how do we know weapons like the Monkey Bomb use 115? Or does it simply fall under the "ethereal" category like the Silver Spoon?

Think about it this way. If you have a Crossbow there's no 115. If you Pack-A-Punch (thereby giving it 115), it can now shoot bolts that attract zombies. So evidently the attractiveness is correlated with 115. Therefore the Monkey Bomb's ability to attract zombies has to do with 115.

Also the achievement in Der Riese says it is a Wonder Weapon.

I'd also like to point out I didn't just make up the ethereal category. Ethereal energy is a real recurring theme in Zombies. Just look at Buried.

Nice list & explainations MMX. I agree but also disagree.

You could almost add to the list -

• The Moon Rockets - (One of the original Wunderwaffes - V-Weapons

[tab][/tab]If they weren't filled with '115', it must have been Ethereal Energy to blow apart the earth like that. (Jokes)

If there were no Black Ops 2, this topic wouldn't even exist. For me, the Black Ops 2 maps changed the COD Zombies term "Wünder Weapon".

I completely agree with Rissole -

I consider it the map specific/big gun weapon of the map.

I don't even care about the story wise meaning of it anymore.

27870900.jpg

Flamethrower: No… Just a not-very-cool weapon… 

I take offense to that. Also, pun intentional? Because I lol'd.

Also, MMX's take on the term intrigues me as well. But how do we know weapons like the Monkey Bomb use 115? Or does it simply fall under the "ethereal" category like the Silver Spoon?

It was completely pun-intentional, I loved the flamethrower, lagged EVERYTHING and killed close to NONE of the zombies but yeah, good-weapon.

Nice list & explainations MMX. I agree but also disagree.

You could almost add to the list -

• The Moon Rockets - (One of the original Wunderwaffes - V-Weapons

[tab][/tab]If they weren't filled with '115', it must have been Ethereal Energy to blow apart the earth like that. (Jokes)

If there were no Black Ops 2, this topic wouldn't even exist. For me, the Black Ops 2 maps changed the COD Zombies term "Wünder Weapon".

I completely agree with Rissole -

I consider it the map specific/big gun weapon of the map.

I don't even care about the story wise meaning of it anymore.

27870900.jpg

The story is still a huge part of zombies. Treyarch may have gotten lazy(or just extremely sly) with the storyline in bo2, but that doesn't mean we just look at things differently now.

I like to keep it simple. I go with the flow either way in Pubs, but I'll consider a Wonder Weapon to be a fictional device with unique capabilites while already un-PAP'ed. Almost "alien" in technology I guess. For example, I consider the Jet Gun and Sliquifier to be Wonder Weps. I doubt a portable Jet Engine and a homemade weapon that somehow contains and spews liquid that makes chains of zombies chain up and EXPLODE is short of fictional, unique, and wondrous delight.

Don't dwell on semantics. Ideally Wonder Weapon should just be the "big" weapon of the map, but of course Treyarch won't come out and directly confirm it.

Don't dwell on semantics. Ideally Wonder Weapon should just be the "big" weapon of the map, but of course Treyarch won't come out and directly confirm it.

Now that would be more acceptable if there wasn't already this huge in depth storyline. The map specific important gun being a WW no matter what it is/ what it's composed of/ who it's made by, contradicts so much we've learned since Shi No Numa and Der Riese.

Not a problem. I find it quite interesting. It was ruled that in the field of botany it is considered a fruit since it still basically functioned as the ovary of the plant. In the field of culinary it is considered a vegetable, a distinction that is only meaningful in culinary and not so much in botany. (This is off the top of my head but I believe I'm right)

To decide if it's a Wonder Weapon, ask yourself these questions:

1.  Can more than one person have this weapon at a time?

2.  Does it do something unique from a normal gun?

Wonder Weapons are pretty easy to figure out.  They're the super cool weapons on each map.  Whether you want to define them as "super" or "wonder" or whatever is mute.  Treyarch made those weapons to be considered the "Wonder Weapon" for those maps.  That would include:

Wunderwaffe DG-2

Thundergun

Winter's Howl

V-R11

Scavenger

31-79 JGB215

Wave Gun

Thrustodyne Aeronautics Model 23

Sliquifier

Blundergat

Paralyzer

Staff of Fire

Staff of Wind

Staff of Lightning

Staff of Ice

There's also the Wonder Weapon Items:

Gersch Device

Matryoshka Dolls

Quantum Entanglement Device

Hell's Retriever

Golden Spork

Time Bomb

One Inch Punch

Then there's the one's that are debatable (in my opinion):

Ray Gun

Monkey Bomb

Ray Gun Mark II

G-Strike

The reason these are debatable are because they appear in a large portion of the maps (more of a signature zombies weapon than a wonder weapon), or are an upgraded version of such.

It isn't debatable if you make an accurate definition. By yours, the Jet Gun, M2 Flamethrower, Ballstic Knife, and Crossbow Explosive-Tip are Wonder Weapons. Which is of course ridiculous.

1.  I do believe the Jet Gun is a Wonder Weapon, however useless it is.  It was intended to be a Wonder Weapon for TranZit.

2.  Yea, I wanted to say "Specific to a certain map", but there are some WWs that find their way into more than one map, mostly during the Black Ops era.  And I'll agree with you that Flamethrower, Ballistic Knife, and Crossbow aren't Wonder Weapons.  They're on too many maps to be a Wonder Weapon.  

I guess for me, a Wonder Weapon is that big weapon on each map that you're like "HOLY CRAP I GOT THE ______".  Sure, some are less exciting to get than others (Jet Gun), but the Devs intended it to be seen as THE WW for TranZit.

It isn't debatable if you make an accurate definition. By yours, the Jet Gun, M2 Flamethrower, Ballstic Knife, and Crossbow Explosive-Tip are Wonder Weapons. Which is of course ridiculous.

Although I'm on your side in this thread, I still disagree with you. This is definitely a debatable topic. Saying it's not is simply having a dogmatic attitude toward other people's ideas. Completely unacceptable.

Anyways, yeah, the jet gun is just a hunk of junk created by survivors. I mean a jet engine might as well have fallen off of a plane in the sky, and landed in Town. Does that still mean it's a wonder weapon? From my understanding, no.

There is nothing wonderful about the jet gun. It's a build able, and it's got nothing "Wondrous" about it. It's all clear-as-day, run-of-the-muck turbine found in any ole plane. 

It being a buildable does not negate it's presence as a Wonder Weapon.  

I'll say this and ask a question at the end.  The developers have put a new Wonder Weapon on each map since Kino.  Each of these weapons have been out there and done something super unique that no other gun does.  You won't find these weapons in any other maps, minus Thundergun in Ascension and Kino (or DG-2 in CotD...we won't count the BO remakes of WaW maps).  So when we go to TranZit, do you believe that the developers intended the Jet Gun to be the Wonder Weapon for that map, however useless it was?  It's the dev intent that matters to me.  They even hyped it up in the release trailer.  That was supposed to be the big gun we were all looking forward to.

Maybe this is a bit much of me, but I honestly don't see the big argument here.  I wonder how this is even debatable.  MMX even stated that definitions need to not be subjective, but every argument against the Jet Gun is super subjective and comes down to "It's a buildable and it sucks."  

Did the developers intend for this weapon to be the "Wonder Weapon" of the map?  Forget it's usefulness and if it's fun and if you personally like it.  Did the developers have intentions for that weapon to be a Wonder Weapon?

It's not just that.. It's also that there is in no way any form of wonder about it, we know exactly how it works, we can't even say that about the Mtar but we can say it about the jet gun. As well, I think the EMPS are the wonder-weapon for the map: 

-One can get the EMPS in the box even in town/farm in grief mode, in MOTD and buried one can also gain the wonder weapon for that map as well. 

-Emps do count as a wonder weapon as electro-magnetic pulse grenades are not present in today's warfare. Likewise, their ability to turn off not only machines but 115-related objects (Zombies, perks,ect.) makes them even more odd. 

-Ascension did not have a new wonder-gun only a new wonder tactical -Same general concept.

-If that's the case then why aren't the shields wonder weapons?