The Storyline! What are Treyarch going to do with it?!

So I've been musing for a few days about the Swiss Cheese of a storyline of Black Ops 2 Zombies.

We had absolutely no idea what was coming next after Moon, other than it was going to be set on a scorched Earth. What did we end up with?

The final scene of Origins.

EVERYTHING we know, loved and cared for could possibly just be a children's game.

So it got me thinking. We love the Storyline. We love Easter Eggs. We love Easter Egg hunting. We love activating secret parts of a map (such as the Teddy bears/meteorites etc). We love killing zombies. We love the Wonder Weapons. We love the weapons.

I'm going to stop with the love list, but you guys hopefully get the idea. ;)

I was thinking what would be a really good idea or technique to keep the story new and fresh, without the crazy illogical gaps that we have in Black Ops 2.

What about a reverse chronological storyline? We start the first map (much like Nacht) with the feeling of hopelessness, a group of four survivors, at the end of it all. Zombies are coming. There's no escape. The end is nigh! Picture this scene like a WaW map pack style trailer. 

As the story progresses, we are going backwards, we're finding more and more about out the characters, what drives them and what is what. Imagine the weapons getting less and less efficient.

For example imagine playing the earlier maps with the complete weapons, but as more DLC comes out, were playing with the prototypes next map.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I think people need to just ignore the ending of Origins, obviously Treyarch thought the community were ready to understand it but I am guessing they will leave more clues (Anyways does no body remember in Sams room on Kino the Giant teddy facing our 4 heroes?) But yes ignore that and then we get to somewhere. So imagine we are going to new places that haven't been seen, maybe even parts of the story we never expected. Then we get explenations for the old stuff. For all we know we are continuing from saving Sam from Agartha or we are seeing the comic book continue from Buried to the 1915 935 blueprint. What would interest me would be going before Buried, the loading screen rips from Die Rise and Buried do not match up, I do not think that a coincidence. Though people think Treyarch have cornered themselves, in my opinion, they have never been more free to do what they like!

First I think people need to just ignore the ending of Origins, obviously Treyarch thought the community were ready to understand it but I am guessing they will leave more clues (Anyways does no body remember in Sams room on Kino the Giant teddy facing our 4 heroes?) But yes ignore that and then we get to somewhere. So imagine we are going to new places that haven't been seen, maybe even parts of the story we never expected. Then we get explenations for the old stuff. For all we know we are continuing from saving Sam from Agartha or we are seeing the comic book continue from Buried to the 1915 935 blueprint. What would interest me would be going before Buried, the loading screen rips from Die Rise and Buried do not match up, I do not think that a coincidence. Though people think Treyarch have cornered themselves, in my opinion, they have never been more free to do what they like!

Explain to me the reason to ignore it?

It isn't cannon?

But the post wasn't so much about the old Story, as much as the new.

Continue where we left off with Buried after the Maxis endgame.

And this time around, get an actual objective for the N4. (And an actual antagonist would be nice).

That or just drop the whole story and start over from scratch.

Continue where we left off with Buried after the Maxis endgame.

Why Maxis and not Richtofen? I think it's not fair for the ones who chose Richtofen's side. That's why I can't see that option as a possibility. 

IMO, the story will continue in the real world.

I see no point in extending a children's game; they showed us that Origins cinematic for something, for the future.

We have no idea what's happening in the real world. Why the sirens? Why Maxis through a speaker? What's Maxis' plan? Why the kids want their heroes to be real?

The story in the real world has a lot more potential that the game itself. 

And I think that connects with the "start over from the scratch", as Slade said.

If the story continues outside of the game, there's a possibility of never going back. I have no objections. 

Treyarch are not going to leave the story yet, the end cutscene may show how Sams sees things, she is controlling what happens through the toys and Eddie is there because Richtofen goes into control. That is one theory the other is simply the map is named Origins so that cutscene shows our Origins. Anyways nobody really knows there true intention with the story, for all we know the fact it is a game is just a small aspect of zombies. We never got told the game is over yet.

I would love to pick up where we last left off in BO1.

MoonStoryPage.jpg

(really GRILL?  the moon loading screen AGAIN?)

To me, what we see here in this moon loading screen - never actually happened.  We went from Shangri La to Area 51 and then used the teleporter to bring us to the moon.  At NO POINT did we access a flying temple/vimana from Shangri La and pilot it to the moon.

Throw in the fact that whoever piloting the vimana knew that they were going to the moon (because they were wearing spacesuits) and this comes off more and more as not a loading screen for the moon that we know, but a loading screen for moon that occurs in a different timeline, or dimension.

What I'm suggesting here is that the next game could pick up with literally the N4 trying to reverse the events of the O4.  At the end of the ORIGINS cutscene, Samantha says that her dad has a plan.  Perhaps that is to have the N4 use the time bomb, go back to Shangri La, pilot the Vimana to the Moon and somehow circumvent Ricthofen taking control OR get Richtofen out of the MPD.

tl:dr - show us what happens directly after the events of Moon.  Have the N4 alter time, and it turns out that in the Moon loading screen we are actually seeing the N4 re-writing history/thwarting Richtofen's "grand plan"

That's what I want treyarch to do with it!!!

I feel like they tried to give us a new story last time, and I can't speak for everyone - but personally all I wanted was to move forward with the story I knew and loved.

I'll be very disappointed if we get a brand new story with Maxis as the controller, or RICTOSTUHL

Maxis side is the ending that is interesting. Richtofen winning pretty much means the story is over. I think they should start from scratch. If they want to continue the story then continue it from where we left off on Moon. Lets have some mote adventures with the original 4 in some new locations which eventually parallel with tranzit, die rise, and finally parallel to buried. Maybe even showing us something happened after maxis gains control

I disagree, richtofen's side seemed to be the interesting rought… 

Maxis's side seemed to destroy the world, and is part of the reason I think maxis' side leads to the extinction reality cross over I have full faith in… 

As for the O4, we DO need to pick up where they left off, not EVERY map has to be about them, but they ARE the main, and best, zombie killing crew we have… The 2nd DLC should, and likely will, have guest characters, so purhaps They could alternate between the O4 and the N4… Have the disc map come with the O4 and what happened after moon and what they were up to until after buried, then have the second-released-with-disc map be about the N4. Then the N4 again in DLC 1, then DLC2 is the guests, then DLC4 is the N4, and the O4 return for the last DLC… 

What's over? The original storyline? 

Fine, but what would they even begin to do? Try to make us fall in love with yet ANOTHER set of characters? Leave us dry of any clarity or solid evidence of the end of the original storyline? Refuse to bring back the super popular O4 or even the Somewhat less, but still quite popular N4? No more richtofen? No more samantha? 

How about 935? That'd be gone too. 

Would it be smart to just abandon all this? No. So the likeliness of abandoning the original story is, in my eyes, less then 20% likely. 

if zombies isn't on the PS3, i am so going to complain because why pay for a game,, which you have to pay the internet for every month? Also, why not do the N4 after they've disbanded (e.g. new companions with them)

Edited by Kyle8957

I honestly think it was more than a game.

My theory is that, sure, the zombie maps we played were Samantha's game, but they were loosely based on real events. (i.e. they went to Kino, Ascension, Shangri-la, did what they had to do and teleported. No rounds, mystery boxes, points, power-ups, just regular adventures that Samantha was replaying in her room and turning it into a game.

So what I think is: the events happened. It's just the ones *we* played was a game based on these events.

@GRILL

I think the book containing all the map pages came with the zombie toys Samantha and Eddie bought. (or they first bought the comic book, and from there bought the toys as seen advertised in Moon's loading screen)

It contains the very rough set pieces of the story, but leaves enough open for the reader to make up their own adventures and stories with the included toys.

Kind of like those Lego sets that came with their own comic books.

Hence why most of the events in the loading screens never take place in the actual map.

I would love to pick up where we last left off in BO1.

MoonStoryPage.jpg

(really GRILL?  the moon loading screen AGAIN?)

To me, what we see here in this moon loading screen - never actually happened.  We went from Shangri La to Area 51 and then used the teleporter to bring us to the moon.  At NO POINT did we access a flying temple/vimana from Shangri La and pilot it to the moon.

Throw in the fact that whoever piloting the vimana knew that they were going to the moon (because they were wearing spacesuits) and this comes off more and more as not a loading screen for the moon that we know, but a loading screen for moon that occurs in a different timeline, or dimension.

What I'm suggesting here is that the next game could pick up with literally the N4 trying to reverse the events of the O4.  At the end of the ORIGINS cutscene, Samantha says that her dad has a plan.  Perhaps that is to have the N4 use the time bomb, go back to Shangri La, pilot the Vimana to the Moon and somehow circumvent Ricthofen taking control OR get Richtofen out of the MPD.

tl:dr - show us what happens directly after the events of Moon.  Have the N4 alter time, and it turns out that in the Moon loading screen we are actually seeing the N4 re-writing history/thwarting Richtofen's "grand plan"

That's what I want treyarch to do with it!!!

That's certainly a doable idea that would eventually tie both groups together. And just by going off the Moon loading screen, you could say it suggests it's still when Samantha is living large (heh) and in charge at that point and that the new crew found and alternative way to the moon. Hypothetically, the N4 could potentially stop Richtofen from taking control, and even "free" Samantha from being trapped. Thus, ending zombies, use the teleporter back to Area 51 and everyone lives happily ever after? :D

if zombies isn't on the PS3, i am so going to complain because why pay for a game,, which you have to pay the internet for every month? Also, why not do the N4 after they've disbanded (e.g. new companions with them)

I can 100% guarantee that call of duty zombies 2015 will not be for the PS3…. 

yes, but call of duty WaW was released after the PS3, but there was still a variant on the PS2...

I agree with @way2g00d. The story we went through in Black Ops 1 & 2 is over (or at least, it should be). I think they'll create a new story line. I was thinking that a good idea would be a character creation part for Zombies, but that would eliminate the funny character quotes we all love, so I doubt that will happen.

At this point, I can't say what the next story line will be, but I can tell you that format will probably be very similar. We'll have a set of main characters and a DLC with some celebs. The story will probably be delivered in the same way (Radios, EE's, etc..), but this time I hope it's more consistent and easier to follow. Even without hunting for every radio and log, a player should still have a decent grasp on what's actually happening plot-wise. 

I agree with @way2g00d. The story we went through in Black Ops 1 & 2 is over (or at least, it should be). I think they'll create a new story line. I was thinking that a good idea would be a character creation part for Zombies, but that would eliminate the funny character quotes we all love, so I doubt that will happen.

Character creation is a topic I have discussed frequently, as well as the continuation of the original storyline. There is not enough clarity to end the story now, and the way buried ended makes it seem like BO3 will have at least the N4 returning. 

​For character customization see here:  TREE OF TEARS

Basically what it does is, it allows one to completely customize their Greif, survival, and turned character (as well as other game modes) But NOT the main story characters, making it so the main storyline can still be delivered by quotes. 

At this point, I can't say what the next story line will be, but I can tell you that format will probably be very similar. We'll have a set of main characters and a DLC with some celebs. The story will probably be delivered in the same way (Radios, EE's, etc..), but this time I hope it's more consistent and easier to follow. Even without hunting for every radio and log, a player should still have a decent grasp on what's actually happening plot-wise. 

No no no, hunting for the storyline is what made WAW and BO1 fun, having the story plain and simple is what BO2 did. There's a thin line between overly complex and conspiracy hunting. The difference? Radios. So yes, radios are a VERY important thing to add to BO3.

I don't see them creating an entirely new story. I just don't think it'd be a good idea. People keep saying that cutscene suggests that the whole storyline was all made up by a couple kids. Let's think about it, what's the most annoying way to end a movie? Have it all be a dream. Some crazy crap happens throughout the movie, but in the end it never even happened. It's been done so many times that I think people are starting to realize audiences are taking it as a middle finger.

Therefore I don't think Treyarch would do that to us.

Personally, I don't think Treyarch even knows what they're going to do next season. Maybe they're just reading through threads like these and will base the next game off of something they see. Hopefully that's not the case, but you never know

I would want a continuation from Buried with the N4. But I also wouldn't mind seeing the O4 post-Moon pre-TranZit. See how Samantha got trapped in Agartha.

I don't want a new group because I would rather a fleshed out N4 than a new group with the same problems the N4 had.

• 2 weeks later...